Life on Mars, American Version

Stinger390X

Well I just watched the first three episodes of LOM the American version.Story lines are very similar and the plots are not as strong as the British one. They did change a couple of things in the story lines such as the Vietnam Veteran was a murdered gay, but in the original it was a soccer fan murdered by sports hooligans. The opening episode with the twin towers was awestriking! Some of the jokes are funny???....I also noticed that there are not as many contacts to the present world as in the original such as the talking TV and Radio etc.?I do however like the sets as the clothes and the cars are exceptionally cool. Music is not bad either.............

• 1 month later...

Well just viewed the last two episodes.I won't spoil the ending for those that have not watched it but I thought it was a bit drab!I definitely enjoyed the British version so much more that the American one.It was so.............................American???

Well just viewed the last two episodes.I won't spoil the ending for those that have not watched it but I thought it was a bit drab!I definitely enjoyed the British version so much more that the American one.It was so.............................American???

I LOVED this show, and I was sad when it was cancelled! I agree that the ending was disappointing - perhaps they had a limited amount of time due to the show's cancellation (?)Maybe someday I'll be able to check out the British version.

• Administrators

I actually enjoyed this show. Having lived through the 70's I must say they gave a very accurate depiction of the decade. I have never seen the british version (didn't even know there was one) but may pick up the DVDs to make a comparison since everyone says it's better. As for the finale, all I can say is it felt like the explanation was quickly thrown together to tie up any loose ends once they found out the show was cancelled. Some things did make sense once revealed so I could be wrong, perhaps the ending was planned all along but they weren't given enough time to make it all fit properly. I am sorry to see it go.

I was disappointed with the last episode (it was okay at best). However, I do agree about the music, clothes and numerous references (political and otherwise to the present time) are pretty cool. I guess my favourite episode would have to be is the one with Gina Gershon as a guest star. Funny references in that one about Tom Cruise (Ricky Business, A Few Good Men joke) and George and Laura Bush.:hippie: