With Friends Like These....Part XI

Robbie C.

Martin Castillo looked up at the assembled team. “How did last night’s meet go?”

Sonny cleared his throat. “No problems, captain. We have the cocaine secured, and comms are set for arranging the next deal. We control the timeline, at least for the coming week.”

“And their MO?”

“Unchanged as far as we can tell. They’re using a sailboat as the mother ship. Randy couldn’t see a name or hull numbers, but it’s twin mast and somewhere between fifty and sixty feet. A good sized boat and can carry the Zodiac they used without attracting any attention.”

Castillo nodded, sorting the information in his head. “Continue with the operation. Use their comm method to get back in touch with them in two days.”

Rico nodded. “That’s solid, captain. It would take Cooper that long to get the product north and make his ‘consultations’ with those New York associates.”

Nodding, Castillo opened his small notebook. “The meeting with Chief Deputy Washington was productive. He thinks he’s got a line on where the FBI got their warrants. Someone in the AUSA’s office in New York of all places. It seems SAC Overton has connections there.”

“Can he block them?”

“He’s working on getting it overturned. The AUSA in Miami was not pleased when he learned about it.” Castillo smiled, remembering Pete’s exact words. “So while the two AUSAs are fighting it out, we need to carry on with normal operations.” He closed the notebook. “I would like some ideas about dealing with our friends outside, though.”

“We were talking about that on the way back in.” Sonny repeated their sketch plan. “Trudy, Mindy. Is the product from Delgado’s office finished yet?”

“Yes.” Trudy smiled. “Gina and Mindy did great work on that while I was out. We just had to polish it up a bit. I think there’s enough in there for the AUSA to issue some warrants for Double G and a few others in the gang hierarchy.”

Castillo nodded. “What about RICO and crossing state lines?”

“Delgado was thorough. He must have wanted to have ammunition in case Double G turned on him.” Trudy rubbed her chin, and Castillo knew the tic meant she was thinking hard. “He did document some deals that crossed state lines. Mostly Red Cross heroin, and each time they did he cut back on the supply. But he did trace two shipments to Atlanta.” She shook her head. “And with crack you’d need to reach out to Metro-Dade.”

“Send copies of what we have to Chief Deputy Washington.” Castillo looked around the table. “If it’s enough, the AUSA will issue warrants within the day. Until then, keep tracking the surveillance teams across the street. We introduced them to the target area, now maybe we can give them something to chase there.”

Mindy got up. “I’ll run the files over. I need to pick some stuff up from the office anyhow. And maybe Interpol came back with something on our mystery girl. I put the request through those channels to cover our tracks.”

“That’s all, people.” Castillo pushed back from the table. “Crockett, Tubbs. My office.”

Sitting behind his desk, Castillo took a moment to gather his thoughts. “We talked about more than the FBI at the meeting yesterday. Joplin and O’Laughlin were excused for part of it. Pete is being reassigned in the next few months. Promoted, actually. He’s not happy about it, and neither am I. It puts the future of the Task Force in question.”

Sonny frowned. “How’s that? We get results. More than any unit of twice our size.”

“I know. But there’s no guarantee the next Chief Deputy will see it that way. And there’s always the chance Metro-Dade might push for our reassignment. Pete has a good relationship with the command structure. The next man may not, and my understanding is there’s some jealousy about our successes.”

Rico nodded. “And with OCB falling in on itself they might want to stick some of us back there. Or spread us around because of our rank.”

Castillo nodded. “I just wanted you to be aware. For what it’s worth the AUSA is on our side. DEA seems to be as well, at least as long as we keep making them look good. But it’s the Marshal’s Service that controls the purse strings, and if they pull them back…”

“We’re done.” Sonny’s face shifted, and Castillo could see the anger in his eyes. “Hell, this is why we left in the first place. Damned bureaucratic bullshit.”

“This stays between us for now. Keep doing your jobs and take these two down. I don’t know what’s behind them, and that worries me.”

Nodding, Sonny refocused on the job. “Me, too, Marty. The damned why keeps hanging just out of reach.”

Rico nodded. “Could she be after Jenny and that’s driving it?”

“No, I think that’s a bonus. Something she tripped onto and decided to take care of while she was in the area. There’s something else going on. Maybe it’s just daddy wanting a secure market for his product. The kid seems like a control freak, and I’ll bet he got that from dear old dad. But it just feels like there’s more.”

“Why does he need a secure market?” Castillo rubbed his eyes with his thumb and forefinger. A headache was threatening, and he wanted to head it off. “Why should it matter so much to him?”

Sonny got up. “I’m gonna go back through those files we got. See if there’s anything there. I know he got damned excited at the idea of having a steady volume customer.”

“And there was no tip-off call about the deal?”

“Not that we heard of. But if their goal was a steady customer, they wouldn’t want to ruin that by having half of the deal get busted. We did play up that Burnett and Biggs knew each other, and the guy was definitely aware of Burnett’s reputation.” Sonny chuckled. “I don’t think he’d risk it.”

“Yeah, and I stressed that only Burnett moved my product out of Miami.”

“Good. Stay on it.”

Once the two left, Castillo leaned back in his desk chair. He hadn’t told them everything about the meeting with Pete, only the part that concerned them. It was something he’d been kicking around ever since the wedding. Ever since his life felt complete. If Pete Washington left, he was putting in his papers. He’d started over enough times in his life, and didn’t feel like doing it again.

Pete had understood. “Hell, might do that myself if they’re serious about this,” he’d said. They’d met in the back room of a steakhouse close to the Federal building. A relic from days gone by, it still had private dining rooms. The two girls had excused themselves to the bar after the meal, leaving the two men to talk.

After the freedom of the Task Force, Castillo knew he couldn’t go back to Metro-Dade. And as a captain he’d be stuck in more of a supervisor role in any case. And OCB as far as he could tell was beyond saving. The Homicide lieutenant they’d put in charge was incompetent at best. No, he wouldn’t waste his time trying to rebuild something that was beyond repair.

But he didn’t want to influence the others this early. Both Crockett and Tubbs had good years left in them, and both had grown into formidable leaders, but with different abilities. Switek and Franz were both stellar detectives, with Stan in particular showing a great deal of command promise. He planned on recommending him for merit promotion if he put in his papers.

It was the marshals he worried about the most. Mather and Blair would grumble but survive in one of the tactical units, though they’d both shown great potential beyond that. And O’Laughlin…she was wasted in a place that didn’t value what she did and only remembered her for being taken in by someone who should have been fired for misconduct.

Looking out the window, Castillo had to acknowledge that the Task Force had become a family. Dissolving it would be hard for everyone. He’d already made his choice, and he knew Trudy would likely follow. She had good years left as well, and would make a fine commander in any unit she moved to, but he also knew she valued their time more than she did the Job. No, if he left, she’d be right behind him. And neither would regret the choice for a moment.

Still, it would be hard. This was the best team he’d ever had, even better than the one that had been wiped out in Laos. Jess, Gus, Ti Ti and the rest were solid, but this unit took it to a new level. He’d walk away and leave it behind, for Trudy as much as himself, but he never kidded himself it would be easy.

But that was a problem for another day. He knew Pete still had a few tricks up his sleeve and favors he could call in. And so long as Pete Washington was Chief Deputy the Task Force would continue running. Still, he had to smile. For the first time in years Martin Castillo knew what his future held. And it was good no matter what happened.

Sonny flipped through the last pages of the file again, paying close attention to a series of highlighted paragraphs. It was starting to make sense in his head, though he didn’t like where it was leading. He went through it again, but couldn’t find any holes in his reasoning. Looking up, he caught Rico’s eye. “Take a look through this, partner. I think I found their damned why, and it’s a big one.”

Rico scanned the highlighted passages. “So daddy’s into Bolivian politics. So what?”

“But look at what kind of politics. Reminds me of our dear no-so-lamented colonel.” Sonny shook his head. “I think our boy’s out here helping daddy fund a coup.”

“If that’s the case why hasn’t the Company put in a guest appearance yet? Usually those chumps are all over that kind of crap.”

“Yeah. Unless it doesn’t fit their interests. Backing the army I can see. A bunch of old Nazis and wanna-be Nazis not so much. This ain’t Chile.”

“Yeah. And with the new guy in the White House they are keepin’ a lower profile.” Rico looked up from the folder. “But if you’re right…”

“We gotta shut this guy down.” Sonny smiled. “And now I got my why.”

“But we know the kid ain’t hard-core. Why would he deal with a brother if he was?”

“Expediency.” Sonny grinned. “Yeah, I learned a new word. Sue me. Anyhow, for what daddy wants I’ll bet they’ll take cash wherever they can get it. And it’s all green as far as they’re concerned. Besides, you’re here and not in Bolivia.”

“True. But what does the reason tell us?”

“That he’ll boost the weight as far as daddy can handle. Maybe past that if he thinks it will help the cause. And if the girl’s doing it for the money she won’t be opposed because more weight means more cash for her.”

“But if her family’s loaded why would she care?”

“It’s like that bastard banker we met in New York City, Rico. Why stop with a million when you can have two? Or ten?”

“You think that chump’s even still alive? He was like a hundred when we ran into him.”

“If he’s dead there were ten bozos lined up to take his place. And all trails end in the islands or Switzerland. Hell, we couldn’t even follow Moncado’s dirty money past some shell banks in Bermuda and the Caymans.”

“Couldn’t or Treasury wouldn’t.”

“Same result either way. But this…this is big. We might not have been able to do shit in Costa Morada, but we can stop this one from happening.”

“You gonna brief Castillo?”

“Not yet. I want her file to wrap it up neat. We’ve got nothing on this Jankow family yet. I’d like to be able to connect them somehow. I don’t think she’s just transportation. That may be part of her role, but why have her at every meeting if that’s all she’s doing?”

“Maybe it’s an art smuggler thing.”

“Could be. But I’d rather rule other stuff out first. If you see Mindy before I do, see if they had that Interpol data in.”

“So when do we reach back out to them?”

“Castillo had it right. A couple of days. That’ll give Pete time to try to get those assholes off our front porch. And make it look like you had some arm-twisting to do in NYC. That could factor into our plan.” Sonny could feel the gears turning in his head as the problem started sorting itself out.

Rico got up and shut the office door. “And the other part?”

“What other part?”

“If Pete’s reassigned.”

“I don’t even want to think about that, partner.”

“But we don’t have a choice, partner.”

Sighing, Sonny looked down. “No, we don’t, do we? Shit…I don’t know. I can’t see Marty going back to Metro-Dade. Not after he’s been able to call his own shots. And me? Hell, I don’t know if I’d want to. Can you imagine going from this to Robbery?”

“And dealing with some chump who got promoted based on who he blows and not what he knows? Count me out.” Rico’s eyes were bright. “I walked away once. From two damned places. I can do it again. But this time it’s on my terms.”

Sonny nodded. “Yeah. I hear you. I just wish it didn’t feel like I was ten years old and someone took my favorite toy away.”

“There is that. But hell, man. We’re both lieutenants now. They ain’t gonna let us work the streets if we go back to Metro-Dade. That means a desk job. And I don’t know about you, but I can’t go back to OCB after this. Not after the whole thing with Gorman. And what else is there? They’ve run Narcotics into the ground. Homicide’s a dumping ground for chumps and suckers. Don’t even get me started about Robbery.”

“Yeah. And I feel more for the others. Stan and Lester could start their own business tomorrow doing what the bozo Duddy did and make a killing. But the deputies? Hell, now that they’ve had a taste of this how do they go back?”

“Dave and Randy will do fine. Hell, I think those two would land on their feet if you dropped them in the middle of the desert with a teaspoon. But Mindy? I worry about her.”

“I don’t blame you, pal. She’s a special lady. And she’s come into her own here.” Sonny shook his head. “But my grandma always said don’t borrow trouble you don’t have yet. Let’s get this damned thing solved first.”

“Yeah. My grandma said the same damned thing. Usually before she smacked me upside the head for doing something stupid.” Rico smiled. “But yeah, let’s get this thing handled. If you’re right we don’t dare miss. Those two can disappear in a heartbeat and pop up somewhere else with the same game.”

“Yeah. And she’s after Jenny. I’m not gonna make that same mistake, Rico. It’s not gonna happen.” Sonny’s eyes went cold, and he knew his partner knew exactly what he was talking about. The Burnett side was whispering in his ear you let Hackman go too long, asshole. Don’t make the same mistake twice. And he knew he wouldn’t.

Mindy got back just before two, and Sonny met her at the door. “Did they get you anything from Interpol?”

“Yes, Sonny. Hold your water! It’s right here.” She dug into her soft side briefcase and pulled out a folder. “Get it back to me when you’re done, ok? I want to run through it again.”

“No problem. I just need to check a couple of things.” Opening the folder, Sonny flipped through the clipped pages until he came to what we wanted. “Yep. Got you, bitch.” He closed the folder and handed it back. “That was all I needed, darlin’. Now you can work your magic.”

Rico appeared in the office doorway. “Find what you were lookin’ for?”

“Yeah. Turns out her daddy served with his daddy in occupied Poland. You know; families that kill together chill together. They were in Argentina first, then headed for Bolivia about five years ago. About the time Jenny would have met Monaele on the smuggling circuit.”

“Any clue why they moved?”

“No, but I’d guess some kind of political wind change had something to do with it. Wouldn’t bother their money. It’s all stashed in Switzerland.” Sonny shook his head. “It pays to be neutral, I guess.”

“We going to Castillo?”

“Yeah. I think we need to.”

Castillo looked down at his hands. “You’re sure about this?”

“As sure as I can be with the information we have, captain.”

Rico spoke up. “He had me go through it, too. It makes sense, especially given what we know of the father’s contacts in Bolivia. But we don’t have a good way to check.”

Castillo was silent for a time, and Sonny started to worry he’d found a hole in the logic. Then he looked up. “Let me make a couple of calls. Not from here, though. I have ways to check the information. Don’t do anything until you hear from me. It should be tomorrow, the next day at the latest. Some of these people can be…difficult to contact.”

“We’ll hold off, Marty. I may start making some plans, though.”

“Good. Just hold on execution until I give the ok.”

Back in the conference room, Rico turned to Sonny and grinned. “Ten to one he’s calling old fiends.”

“Only suckers and Izzy take that bet, partner. But he’ll check his spook sources and see what they have to say. And I’ll bet he gives us the green light no matter what they say.”

“Yeah, but we wait just the same.”

Back in the office, Sonny stared at the folder on his desk. His mind sorting back through what he’d read in the one on the girl. Both of them had been active in right-wing causes in Bolivia before disappearing overseas, but he seemed to have kept a lower profile. Why? Who had he been meeting with? Clearly not anyone involved in the narcotics trade given their fumbling once they’d shifted down to Miami from Lauderdale. But what was up there to hold his interest? The girl had obviously been working on her smuggling chops, but he was a mystery.

Sonny reached for the phone and selected one of Stan’s ghost lines. Dialing the number, he waited for the man to answer. “Atkins? Yeah, it’s me again. Look, I got a name for you. Two of ‘em, actually. Hoffmann and Jankow. They ring any bells?”

There was a pause. “Two blondies? Always overdressed?”

“Yeah. Sounds like you know ‘em.”

“Only by reputation. And yeah, they aren’t into narcotics. At least not that we know.”

“How’d you come across them?”

“Stolen paintings, if you can believe it. But old ones. Like from World War II. We’ve got a strong Jewish community up here, and we started getting reports that some couple was trying to unload paintings that had been looted from a gallery in Warsaw. We don’t have the resources to chase that stuff too far, but we did get their last names from one of the potential buyers who backed out as soon as he learned where the paintings came from.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. Some of these art dealers have consciences. Or they’re afraid of Federal prison. We looked around a bit, but never got more than the last names and general descriptions.” Sonny heard pages turning. “Oh, and some ties to the remains of an arms ring I think your boys took down. Guy calling himself Holmes.”

“Yeah. He’s dead now.”

“That’s what I thought. Anyhow, they popped up trying to buy M-16s from one of his boys up here. We turned it over to ATF and then they had that whole firefight down in your neck of the woods. Sorry, that’s all I got.”

“Thanks, man. It actually tied some things up for us. I owe you dinner if you get down this way.”

“From the look on your face you’ve got good news.”

“Some.” Sonny filled Rico in. “So they tried paintings before they got too hot. And somehow I ain’t surprised our old friend Holmes popped up. He had a soft spot for the Nazis I think.”

“So they got M-16s in addition to the UZIs we saw. That’s some serious firepower.”

“Unless they sent ‘em back to their dear old daddies. Which I think is more likely. Good old Mao and his power from the barrel of a gun line. That and it’s damned hard to use an M-16 on a boat. The Germans are practical if nothing else.”

“So we got money and guns. You figure they got the manpower down there?”

“Some of it, sure. You know how it is. Your coup fails here, you pull up anchor and head for the next two-bit tyrant’s place of business and wait. But they’re after more money. Means they either way to bribe the hell out of someone or they need better talent than what they can get locally.”

Mindy knocked on the door before sticking her head in. “Sorry to interrupt, but I’m done with the file. It’s yours if you need it.”

“Thanks.” Sonny smiled and waved her in. “What did you two get out of it?”

“The kids are out raising money for the dads. And in a big way. He looks to have been knocking around most of the Caribbean doing some talent-scouting while she was learning the tricks of the smuggling trade. Looks like her main boat’s been a Moorings 60. Twin masts, and they can carry a Zodiac without anyone noticing.”

“Any name in the files?”

“No. Looks like she changes it pretty regularly. Jenny might know more about her favorites, though.”

“Yeah.” Sonny blinked. He’d so far avoided thinking about Jenny, but now he wanted to get back to the marina. “I’ll be sure to ask her.”

Rico noticed the change. “Sonny, go ahead and cut out, man. I got this stuff. Go see how she’s doing and if she knows anything that can help. Castillo ain’t gonna mind.”

Sonny spotted one of the tan Fords rolling out of the lot across from the building, but lost it inside of five minutes on the winding streets of Miami.  Downshifting, he brought the Ferrari back to reasonable street speeds and the engine whine down to a more contented purr. It felt good to stretch the car a bit, and to work out some of his frustration on the Feebs in the Ford.

He found Jenny sitting in the rear seats of the Dance, reading through what looked like some kind of organization plan. She smiled as he walked up the gangplank. “I’ve got good news, baby.”

“What is it?” He forgot all his annoyance and stress from the case the second she smiled.

“First, I was with Angie last night. We stayed up late talking and I didn’t want to make her drive me back.”

“That’s what I figured. You didn’t miss anything, anyhow. I was out late with that damned case.” He smiled and sat down next to her, feeling the cushions shift as she slid closer.

“We were talking, and I decided to do something. Please don’t be mad.”

“I couldn’t be mad at you.”

“I put some of my money into Caitlin’s House. The foundation part. I know it’s your project and all, but I wanted to help make sure it could keep running well into the future.”

“You didn’t need to…”

“I know. But the trust daddy set up for me has just been sitting there. It should be doing something good. Now it will be.”

“Do I want to know how much?”

She smiled and showed him the plan she’d been reading through. “Look at the last page.”

He did, and his jaw went slack. “Jenny….that says five million dollars.”

“Yes. It’s not the whole thing. About a third, maybe. But it will help keep the doors open and bring in the best doctors. That’s what she wants.”

“Angie?”

“No. Caitlin. It should be the best. I may move more if that’s not enough. We’ll know next year.”

“I…I don’t know what to say.”

“Don’t say anything. Just kiss me. Then I’ll know it’s fine.”

He drew her in close and kissed her, not knowing what else to do or how to explain the love he felt overwhelming him. “I…”

“Hush. It’s what she wanted. Now what did you want to ask me? I could see it in your eyes when you came up the gangplank.”

“It’s about Monaele.”

She nodded. “She’s evil, Sonny.”

“I know. I met her last night. Her and that guy she’s with. We think they’re selling drugs to fund some kind of crazy coup for their fathers. She’s got a boat, a twin master.”

“Sixty feet. She used at least three names for it, but the one she liked the most was Nibelung. Some German opera I think. It had enough compartments to move statues, so if she’s moving drugs she can more a lot.”

“We’ll get her, Jenny. I promise you that. And if she tries to hurt you…”

“I know. I know exactly what you’ll do. But she’ll use that against you if she finds out we’re together. Don’t underestimate her, Sonny. She’ll hurt you to get to me.”

Sonny nodded, wanting to change the subject. He could see the hurt in her eyes, and the last thing he wanted was for her to bolt. She might think she was protecting him, but he could only look after her if he kept her close. “Why don’t we go below and you can tell me about this new plan. It seems thicker than the last one I saw.”

She smiled and ducked below, already talking about the new programs they could add with her money. But he was only listening with half his mind. The other, the Burnett half, was working through plans and a darker corner contemplating just what he’d do to this girl if she harmed even a hair on Jenny’s head. He wouldn’t make the same mistake he’d made with Caitlin. Never again.

The sun had long since sunk below the waves when Jenny lay back on the aft stateroom bed and smiled. “You’ve been so patient listening to all this.”

“No. I like seeing you happy. And when you talk about this you just…I don’t know…glow. It’s beautiful.”

“And you were right about Gina. She was there yesterday for a time and we talked. She does want what’s best for the girls.”

“She was jealous of Cait, I think. We were…close once.”

“I know. Trudy told me. But she seemed more settled this time. More sure.”

“She didn’t like the Task Force. Not really, I don’t think.”

“Good. She shouldn’t be there if she’s not sure. It’s a place for sure people.”

He laughed. “You got that right.”

She slapped his arm. “I’m being serious. You are Marty’s warrior brotherhood. Never forget that. He brought you all together for a purpose, and when you saved him you bound yourself to that purpose.”

He shook his head. “Never thought of it like that before, darlin’. Maybe there’s something to that.”

“There is. He chose each of you. For a specific reason. And you’ll be with him until he disbands it.” She smiled. “I’m there, too. Because of Trudy.”

“You did save her life.”

“We all did. So did Brick and Tiny. The other marshals. They’re part of the circle, too.” She kissed his neck, her lips soft against his skin. “But that’s enough serious talk for tonight. I want you to hold me.”

Trudy looked out over the water, feeling Martin come up behind her before his arms slipped around her waist. “You’re quiet tonight,” he murmured, kissing her neck. His mustache tickled her skin, and she giggled.

“I’ve just been thinking. What did you and Pete talk about? Is he really leaving?”

“You intel people. No secrets from you, are there?”

“Mindy has her sources in the office, and she talked to one when she went to pick up the file.” She slipped her hands over his, still looking out and listening to the invisible water slapping against the sand. “Is it true?”

“He’s not sure. It’s possible, but he’s some favors to call in.”

She nodded, understanding. It confirmed everything Mindy had told her earlier. “What will you do if he goes?”

“What would you have me do, my love?”

“What you think is right. What you always do.” She leaned back against him, feeling his strength supporting her.

“I would likely turn in my papers. But you already knew that.”

“I guess I did. I can’t see you going back to a desk in Metro-Dade, and a new agency is too hard.”

“I’m where I can do the most good. And if I lose that, what’s the point?” He kissed her again. “But that’s just my answer.”

“It would be mine, too. I can’t go back, either. Not after what we’ve done here. It would all be so hollow.” She laughed. “Imagine me tottering around doing a hooker sting. After shooting William Maynard. Ain’t gonna happen, brother.”

He laughed then. “I agree. And Metro-Dade would hold your involvement with me against you. Even if they said they weren’t.”

“I couldn’t go back to them in any case. You have to trust where you’re working. And I can’t trust them anymore. No, my love, if you go, I go. We leave together on our own terms.”

“I’ll need to go out in a bit. There’s someone I need to meet.”

“One of your CIA contacts? I understand. I’ll stay here and keep Jess company until you get back.” She smiled. “I can almost feel him out there tonight. The waves sound perfect.”

“They do.” He kissed her again. “I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

• Like 2

Uh oh, I'm sensing some endings and it's making me sad.  But I like how the team is being very deliberate and thoughtful in going after the smugglers/dealers.  Looking forward to more, and keeping fingers crossed that none of our friends get taken out.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

Uh oh, I'm sensing some endings and it's making me sad.  But I like how the team is being very deliberate and thoughtful in going after the smugglers/dealers.  Looking forward to more, and keeping fingers crossed that none of our friends get taken out.  

Yes agree me too.:done: