Still the same

S.FL84

Its so nice IMO that some iconic locations of Seasons 1-3 of MV are pretty much exactly the same as they were in 1984.   Thanks so much to forum noteable member Dadrian's vacation pics its almost like going there myself and seeing these places.  Its so weird to thinking back to watching MV in 1984 these places seemed a world away.  I regret so much not jumping in my truck and driving down to Miami from Louisiana and seeing these places in person.  As I've posted previously elsewhere...It had to be exhilarating to have been 16yrs in 1984 watching MV and possibly seeing your own front yard (or other familiar locale) as C&T drove by.  <This has HAD to happen to someone sometime in 1984!  Imagine in 1984 watching MV and saying "I was just there yesterday!".  Incredible.

• Like 2

I'm 19 and I wish I had the ability to say that lol. Though for the most part I don't think its necessarily some of the locations that have changed, but moreso the fact that Florida/Miami has changed over the course of the years. I mean it certainly isn't the wild 80s glamshow the show portrayed it to be anymore. I don't even know if it really was totally back then either but I can't answer that, hopefully someone here who lived through it can for us. Or for me.

Bro I REALLY feel sorry for kids your age.  In the mid 1980's there were NO limits whatsoever.  The 1980's was all about such incredibly over the top excess that there was never too much of anything.  The days were boring and consisted of listening to your personal favorite type of music and waiting for THAT night.  It was all about the night,  Going to clubs was like going to school or something.  The music and the music videos ruled everything.  Every freakin' week there was a new song or new video or new movie that replaced last week's hot whatever.  MV was the first television show to really capitalize on the MTV craze and from 1984-86 it was hard to decide was MV imitating a video or were the videos imitating MV?  Nowadays everyone just wears alot of somber, despressive black.  Back in '84+ everyone wore colorful, fun uplifting wild clothes that showed that person's personal style.  Now everyone looks the same.....BORED.  You really missed one incredible decade.

Edited by S.FL84

People had no idea cocaine was addictive and could destroy you.  People actually thought it was "good' for you.  Alcoholism was for old men not kids.  As related in the seminal documentary COCAINE COWBOYS by Jon Roberts he had doctors, lawyers, judges, high ranking city officials to whome he sold large amounts of cocaine.  He said Monday thru Friday they were straight as hell...then they'd party all day all night Friday from 7pm to Monday morning.  < That was the standard behavior pattern for most people in the incredible 1980's.  Most people lived two distinctly different lives and could get away w/ it.

Edited by S.FL84

Although its been discussed earlier I still think it'd be great to have a MV Online meet in Miami. Imagine how much fun it would be to see all the famous locations together with other people who recognize the same locales for the same thing you do?  To the average person a certain spot might only be a sidewalk but to us it'd be where Crockett did something incredible in a MV scene we'll all remember forever.

I've checked and for whatever reason it's VERY cheap to fly from New Orleans RT to Miami ($65!).  The Rodeway Inn inn in N. Miami is less than $80/nt.  A 3-days trip could cost less than $400.

3 hours ago, S.FL84 said:

Although its been discussed earlier I still think it'd be great to have a MV Online meet in Miami. Imagine how much fun it would be to see all the famous locations together with other people who recognize the same locales for the same thing you do?  To the average person a certain spot might only be a sidewalk but to us it'd be where Crockett did something incredible in a MV scene we'll all remember forever.

Yeah that sounds great, I'll just call into work and let them know Im taking a trip down to Miami along with others on a forum and gather up all my expenses for this trip.

Great.  See ya down there. $500 ain't much to walk in C&T's footsteps. Charlie Glide has documented just about every single major location of MV in Miami.

Edited by S.FL84

I live in Hollywood and work west of Miami. My late work hours suck but I've met up with someone after work once when they were down here on vacation. Went to a few bars around south beach. Pretty good night. I'd be more than happy to meet up with fellow Vicers.

I don't drink alcohol and no longer care about partying.  I just wanna visit the locations where MV was made.  In 1984-87 these places seemed a world away and now I can actually go see them and understand the impact the show made when those scenes were shot.  Its like an Elvis Presley fan visiting Graceland in a sense.  For a local I'm sure its just another sidewalk or hotel or street but to us its not.

I think it'd be a blast to do ^ this w/ other forum members who can relate to what I'm saying.  We'd just have to all agree on a time.

Tyler if I lived there I'd be doing something like Charlie Glide did.  He has spent an incredibly huge amount of effort identifying tons of MV shooting locations and its free to see all his hard work.  I really feel indebted to him.

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 1

it's not MV who made Miami, but its communities. and gentrification is slowly killing all these cool things we refer to. Crockett is cool because he takes his coffee at La libertad, not because he takes his coffee into a asepticized GTAV like place lol

• Like 2

I I somewhat disagree.  MV had such a staggering facelift effect on South Beach and other Miami locations it'd be impossible to accurately describe it all. Again it was just the right show at the right time.  Nobody gave a sh@# about South till MV did.  Alot of drug money was washed making Miami into what MV showed what it was supposed to look like.  In 1982 there were 30 story condos sitting empty they basically gave away that today sell for millions to Russian investors. Primarily due to the initial investment caused by MV.

Edited by S.FL84

MV started out imitating music videos and astonishely fast became imitated by music videos.  Glen Frey's SMUGGLERS BLUES video was very clearly a mini MV 4:00 episode.

i'm not saying MV didn't impact Miami area. what i was pointing out it's that without MV, Miami would have still existed, while the opposite is not true. actually i was pointing out that gentrification was a bad disease that was killing the mother (Miami), and the daughter (MV). if gentrification keeps spreading around, you can say goodbye to all coolness, even if it's related to MV

• Like 2