China White by Stephen Grave

Bren10

I just finished reading this after a member was (very) nice enough to send me a copy of this and Probing By Fire, which I'll also get to at some point.

https://www.amazon.com/China-White-Stephen-Grave/dp/0352317671/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Miami+vice+china+white&qid=1571527834&s=books&sr=1-1

I thought I'd put down some random thoughts and observations for anyone who might want to get these books, spoilers included bookwise. This one is based/adapted from Golden Triangle pts 1 and 2.

There is a little glossary at the front of the book defining vice and vice squad. I don't know why Glades imagery was used for the cover since that has nothing to do with this. Even for a generic cover, do you really want Crockett and Tubbs represented in those outfits? The incident with the PCP guy in the hotel hallway is mentioned in past-tense. It is described but we don't actually see it happening. Sonny is said to be using his father's paratrooper lighter which is one of the few keepsakes he has from him. Tubbs and Trudy apparently have had some off-duty dates, but not many. Gina is confirmed to be of Italian and Cuban extraction. Sonny's mother is confirmed dead. There is more depth and intricacy to the Sonny and Candy dynamic and relationship (more on that momentarily). We see a tiny glimpse of Tubbs at home but it isn't very descriptive. Dale Menton in the book doesn't quite fit the appearance of John Santucci in the show. There are more details on Castillo's harrowing experience in Asia during and after the ambush that Menton informed on as well as the blowing up of his house there. The one thing that most surprised me was that Candy actually returns past the point she exits in the episode, and on the St Vitus, no less. She basically surprises Sonny when he gets home after she has made friends with Elvis and admits she now wants to date Crockett. No, I am not making that up. I also was surprised by the emotion of the ending on the tarmac even though we don't actually spend as much time with May Ying in the book as we do in the ep. The book also makes sure we know that Sonny uses a Bren Ten, BREN TEN, understand? He shoots people with that!

In spots the writing isn't the best but I was prepared for that because some people (Rob C?) have told me these novels are horrible. I don't quite share that opinion but of course there are flaws like any media tie-in novel. There is certainly more cursing here, and while foul language itself doesn't bother me it seems like a cheap attempt to make things more authentic and real when, in fact, the show itself never needed that. There is brief nudity and gore as well. And oddly, there are gratuitous descriptions of women's bodies all over the place in this thing. Maybe they thought horny, young guys would be reading this? Overall my biggest gripe with the book would be the same one I have with the actual episode, which is Crockett and Tubbs being relegated to the position of clueless sidemen for a good half of the story which severely inhibits their coolness factor. Especially when Tubbs gets his butt kicked by the Thai assassin and gets old Thai food all over himself just so Castillo can step up and display his ninja warrior skills. But I recommend reading this at least once.

Edited by Bren10
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Love this review, Bren!  I think I have a copy somewhere.

At least I'll get a good laugh after your descriptions! :)

Update: I DO have it. And I have one called Hellhole- (It says adapted from Walk Alone and Shadow in the Dark) and The Florida Burn-(The Pilot). I have no idea when I got these-probably from a friend who was moving. 

Well, should be an interesting afternoon. Or not ....

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Thanks 1