DJ in HBO's "Watchmen"

Viceman Cometh

THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS

I was cautiously optimistic about this in the runup this summer, but I thought it was strange that suddenly, FINALLY, DJ was cashing in on the era of "peak TV" (I've always wondered why he wasn't helming a CBS precedural like one of the NCIS franchises). I figured he'd be featured prominently in the advance promos, but have very little screen time as the yonger cast members got the bulk of the scenes.

Turns out, it was even worse than that. After a single episode filled nearly wall-to-wall with DJ goodness ... they killed off his character in the final scene.

Cripes.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Viceman Cometh said:

THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS

I After a single episode filled nearly wall-to-wall with DJ goodness ... they killed off his character in the final scene.

Cripes.

Yes, the ending was a turn off. I'm not familiar with the comic version of Watchmen, but the apparently, the HBO version doesn't follow it exactly anyway.

In this article, they explain the reasoning behind the ending, but I still didn't like it. 

https://www.bustle.com/p/don-johnsons-watchmen-character-judd-crawford-isnt-from-the-comics-19253723

I haven't seen the episode yet, but Don is getting terrific reviews for his role in Watchmen. Even some buzz on an Emmy nomination. https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/watchmen-don-johnson-1202183466/

Shame they killed his character off, I was also under the impression that he had a recurring character. Still, in terms of exposure, Don is doing a good job for himself lately. Good performance here and next month 'Knives out' is coming out and then later on of course Nash Bridges and if the rumors are true.... Vice!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MennoinSF said:

I haven't seen the episode yet, but Don is getting terrific reviews for his role in Watchmen. Even some buzz on an Emmy nomination. https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/watchmen-don-johnson-1202183466/

I honestly support this. I put aside the Sonny Crockett character and how much I loved the roles he's played in the past, and looked at this role with a critical eye. He deserved the praise. 

Great article! Exciting he's recognized. Thank you! 

Edited by mjcmmv

Cmon....someone had to kill don johnson on watchmen...or we would suffer of donjohnsonitis overdose. Vice, Nash, Movies, Watchmen...they killed DJ character but i bet he will do some flashbacking later...or not?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Calderon said:

Cmon....someone had to kill don johnson on watchmen...or we would suffer of donjohnsonitis overdose. Vice, Nash, Movies, Watchmen...they killed DJ character but i bet he will do some flashbacking later...or not?

Well, regardless of who played the role, I think it would have been a shock to see the character was  killed.

Maybe I'll watch the upcoming episodes,  I want to be fair and watch the investigation into the sheriff's murder and see what they come up with. 

Edited by mjcmmv

• Administrators

I'm glad they killed him off, the show is absolute garbage. I'm happy knowing I don't have to sit through anymore of it. Nothing like the actual Watchmen, it's more like fan-fiction and they done a woke black vs klan take. One of the most boring hours of my life. 45% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, that's exactly where I'd rate it too. 5/10 "meh" at best. 

I was expecting something like the comics and/or the movie, but it's a completely different thing. 

DJ was great though. 

Watched episode 1 today. Killing off DJ's character means I won't be watching further. Well, unless the storyline backtracks to timeline before the hanging.

Though he did very well indeed

-J

Edited by Jeff_Cooper

DJ getting rave reviews for his one episode stint in HBOs “Watchmen”. It may be like “Dusk till Dawn” when Don was also killed off in the first episode but appeared in flashback sequences for a few more episodes in the first season.

• Like 1

Anyone watched episode 2? Did DJ reappear? From what I read there is a bit more to his character than was initially thought. Curious if he returned or will return...

19 hours ago, MennoinSF said:

Anyone watched episode 2? Did DJ reappear? From what I read there is a bit more to his character than was initially thought. Curious if he returned or will return...

He DID have one brief flashback scene. Then they implied his character was a member of the KKK. And the hits just keep on coming ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2