New Article on "Ten Things You Didn't Know About Miami Vice"

Scot from S.C.

This article is not worth its title and only offers well known facts plus a lot of false information. Especially 5. contract dispute is 95% wrong. The only true information is that there was a dispute but it hampered filming only a few days (the whole filming of El Viejo took two weeks) and it did not have anything to do with the airing order of episodes (which was rather due to the Daytona blow-up) or Willie Nelson‘s availability (He was in Miami anyway before filming and worked on DJs Heartbeat album). Also DJ won this fight (not NBC as indicated here) because his pay was raised from 30k to 90k per episode plus final script approval (he had insisted on 100k). Just bad research of a journalist. 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I also read this info on MV wiki:

"Don Johnson also held out for more money at the start of season 3, delaying filming to a point where other commitments for guest star Willie Nelson meant the episode could not be finished in time for the premiere slot." 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb summer84:

I also read this info on MV wiki:

"Don Johnson also held out for more money at the start of season 3, delaying filming to a point where other commitments for guest star Willie Nelson meant the episode could not be finished in time for the premiere slot." 

That’s false info and simple to understand why by just looking at the dates. The episode (including DJs strike) was shot second half of June86 (only 2 weeks instead of 1.5 weeks), the premiere of 3rd season was end of September. post production mostly took 3-4 weeks. 

Bottom line: even if DJ had hold up production for 2 months, there would have been enough time as a Premiere episode.

But El Viejo was never planned to be the premiere. They had to re-film some scenes in late July and re-wrote/re-filmed the whole teaser in late October, one month before airing. Refilming and late airing had nothing to do with DJ.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Poor article,  nothing we didn't already know.    2 facts that the writer didn't know.  MTV actually debuted in August of 1981, not '82.  and despite the ban of earth tones Crockett did wear a red or orange t-shirt in "Give A Little, Take A Little"

• Haha 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb Ferrariman:

Poor article,  nothing we didn't already know.    2 facts that the writer didn't know.  MTV actually debuted in August of 1981, not '82.  and despite the ban of earth tones Crockett did wear a red or orange t-shirt in "Give A Little, Take A Little"

To add, there was no explicit no-red rule just a „no Earth tone“ rule. The „Pink house“ has a front that is more red than anything else. Crockett wore a red shirt in One way ticket. The Evan house has a red door. There were red columns in Jimmy Borges‘ apartment in Prodigal son, just to name a few occasions. The author is more into fantasizing than real facts.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

But El Viejo was never planned to be the premiere. They had to re-film some scenes in late July and re-wrote/re-filmed the whole teaser in late October, one month before airing. Refilming and late airing had nothing to do with DJ.

I'm surprised, as I had read "El Viejo" was the original season opener, but that the producers changed their mind, as they saw it a better fit with the Daytona being blown up. And it did cause continuity error with the Daytona showing up again six episodes later. Do these production codes indicate the original running order?  https://miamivice.fandom.com/wiki/Season_3

• Like 1

Gina also wore a red jersey in the episode "One Eyed Jack" and she wore a red skirt in "Buddies" and the third ep. "Cool Runnin'" had a whole "orange theme" going on. She showed up in a red dress to her audition only to learn later it wasn't one of the show's colors. The "Earth tones" weren't directly in sight, although from the examples/exceptions it wasn't strictly followed, but they could definitely be spotted here and there. Even in the opening credits. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 2

Another statement I thought was quite subjective (if not downright false):  

Castillo clearly doesn't like Crockett, but puts up with him because he's good at his job.

Regardless of what the personal relationship may have been between the two actors, the characters of Crockett and Castillo clearly respected and liked each other.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

Another statement I thought was quite subjective (if not downright false):  

Regardless of what the personal relationship may have been between the two actors, the characters of Crockett and Castillo clearly respected and liked each other.

I would say they certainly respected each other ….but I felt many times they didn't like each other, but just tolerated each other. 

• Like 2

You could be right.  However, that wasn't the impression I received.  Yes, at first there was suspicion and distrust.  But I felt that as time went on (even by the end of the first season) that grew into real trust and friendship (although not a relationship where the guys would get together for a few beers).  Again, I'm only talking about the characters of Crockett and Castillo, not the actors DJ and EJO.

• Like 1

I remember when Castillo told Crockett & Tubbs...."take me to a bar!"  I think it was at the end of the episode, "Heart of Night" where Castillo tried to help his ex- wife. 

5 minutes ago, Tony D. said:

I remember when Castillo told Crockett & Tubbs...."take me to a bar!"  I think it was at the end of the episode, "Heart of Night" where Castillo tried to help his ex- wife. 

I think he said that at the end of Golden Triangle p2, where we see May Ying boarding the plane with her husband and child. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I think he said that at the end of Golden Triangle p2, where we see May Ying boarding the plane with her husband and child. 

You may be right...………  I really have to start watching all the episodes again. It's been too long since I did.  ;(

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 12:03 PM, Tom said:

That’s false info and simple to understand why by just looking at the dates. The episode (including DJs strike) was shot second half of June86 (only 2 weeks instead of 1.5 weeks), the premiere of 3rd season was end of September. post production mostly took 3-4 weeks. 

Bottom line: even if DJ had hold up production for 2 months, there would have been enough time as a Premiere episode.

This is the truth because why else would they plan a 2 hour special episode in Ireland.

Seems as though they would planning a feature length episode for the premiere just like they did for the pilot and Prodigal Son.

Edited by RedDragon86

And the planned 2hour Premiere in Ireland was cancelled as DJ had no time for the travel as he worked on his album Heartbeat in May/June 1986 in Criteria Studios Miami. Willie Nelson was with him by the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

And the planned 2hour Premiere in Ireland was cancelled as DJ had no time for the travel as he worked on his album Heartbeat in May/June 1986 in Criteria Studios Miami. Willie Nelson was with him by the way.

I didn't know that, thanks.

By any chance do you know the location of the episode in Ireland they were going to film?

vor 39 Minuten schrieb RedDragon86:

I didn't know that, thanks.

By any chance do you know the location of the episode in Ireland they were going to film?

No. The Ireland episode never made it beyond basic planning. Personally I am happy that it was not realized. Ireland is not a location that would have fit the series visually or pace-wise. But I love the When Irish eyes episode though.

• Like 3

On 10/24/2019 at 4:01 PM, RedDragon86 said:

I watched Golden Triangle 2 last night & that is exactly the episode in which Castillo wanted C & T to take him to a bar!

Thanks, RedDragon86.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 3:21 PM, summer84 said:

Gina also wore a red jersey in the episode "One Eyed Jack" and she wore a red skirt in "Buddies" and the third ep. "Cool Runnin'" had a whole "orange theme" going on. She showed up in a red dress to her audition only to learn later it wasn't one of the show's colors. The "Earth tones" weren't directly in sight, although from the examples/exceptions it wasn't strictly followed, but they could definitely be spotted here and there. Even in the opening credits. 

Sonny’s safari shirt was also mainly red in “Calderone’s Return” Part 2 from the first season.

On 10/24/2019 at 3:55 PM, Tony D. said:

He did, but that was memorable because it was such a change from Castillo's usual behavior.  He wasn't a guy you'd normally find drinking in a bar, or with his subordinates in a matey way.

• Like 1