Breaking Point Part VI

Robbie C.

Sonny looked around the table. “Garcia more or less confirmed it, but we’re going to see if Carrera says the same thing. There’s some kind of turf war going on at least in Columbia. It sounds like it’s focused on transportation and not supply, but it could account for the slowdown we’ve seen in traffic.”

Castillo nodded. “Are they targeting Moncado’s old routes?”

“Could be. Garcia didn’t know.” Sonny grinned. “Hell, he ain’t in a position to know much. Like he said last night, he’s a middleman. And a small one at that.”

Rico nodded. “Yeah, but he was nervous as hell. Whatever’s going down there is bad.”

“Could it  be related to that boat?” Lester scratched his chin under his beard. “They were small time transport.”

Sonny shook his head. “I don’t know.” He turned to Castillo. “Do we know anything about what might be happening down south?”

“No. I’ll put in a call to DEA. They might be able to connect some dots for us. In the meantime, stay on Garcia and Carrera.” He turned to Stan. “Sergeant Switek.”

“We’re a go for tonight. Randy finished those calls last night, so if Hector checks up like I know he will he’ll hear that we checked on him. And I heard from my contacts in the State Police. Hector’s boys made their calls.”

“How’s your cover plan?”

“Good. Team Elvis will be fully deployed for this one. I’m sending Dave into Bomber’s instead of keeping him in overwatch, but that’s the only change. He’ll go in about half an hour before us and get in position. Once the meet’s done he’ll hold in place unless he gets a call.” Stan grinned. “We’re testing a smaller earpiece tonight. But if it goes south Lester’s gonna call the bar and have Shaniqua paged.” He grinned again. “Had to come up with a name no one’s likely to answer in that hole.”

“Have Crockett and Tubbs stand by as well. Homes’ people can be unpredictable.”

“We’ll have room in the Roach Coach for sure.” Lester smiled. “I’ll even hang one those little pine things you get at the gas station. It gets a little ripe after chili night at Stan and Gina’s place.”

Dave nodded. “But Stan makes a mean bowl of red. You should try it sometime.”

Sonny raised a finger. “What’s the plan if they can deliver on the goods?”

“A controlled buy. I already talked to the captain about getting Brick’s entry team as a stand-in for an ATF SWAT team to do the ‘takedown’ as soon as the buy’s made. They grab us all, we cuss up a storm about how Hector screwed it all up, and you know the rest.” Stan grinned. “Our fancy lawyer gets us sprung on a technicality and they go down for hard time.”

Castillo nodded. “I’ve already spoken with the chief deputy. You’ll have the team when you need them.”

“Solid.” Rico nodded. “Did we get anything more on that boat?”

“The actual pictures came through this morning.” Trudy slid a folder across the table. “I think they sent us every one they took at the scene. The boat was covered with prints, but of course there’s no way to tell whose they are aside from the guys we could identify. But their team did say there looked to be at least eleven distinct sets of prints.”

“And who knows how many other chumps been in and out of that boat.”

“And whoever did this is probably smart enough to wear gloves.” Sonny rubbed his chin, feeling three days’ worth of stubble under his fingers. “Did they get anything on the bullet holes in the boat?”

Trudy nodded. “Yes. 5.56mm rounds. NATO standard.”

Rico whistled, and Dave nodded in agreement. “That ain’t a normal dealer round.”

“It’s still not our case.” Castillo’s voice was firm.

Randy nodded. “Maybe it was some nutjob with a Mini-14. A good ol’ redneck M-16.”

“The captain’s right,” Sonny said. “It’s still not our case. I’ve got a meeting at one about Caitlin’s House, but I’ll be back in time for the kickoff with the Roach Coach.”

“Gina said something about that this morning. How soon’s it opening?”

“They’re looking at taking the first three girls next week, Stan. Jenny and Angie have been running a tight ship over there, but I just wanna kick the tires one more time.”

Castillo closed his folder, a sure sign the meeting was over. “Stay on it. Switek, give me a final run down before I leave today.”

Trudy motioned for Sonny as the meeting broke up. “I got a warrant for Pancho’s ticket information, Sonny. Looks like he flew to Columbia and has a return ticket for today. As in three hours ago. So he should be back in Miami.”

“Did he use the ticket?”

“Records say he did. Boarded the plane in Bogota and passed through Customs about an hour ago.”

“Great work, Trudy. Now we just have to wait for the little bozo to show his face again.”

Hidalgo greeted the man at the airport with a smile as soon as he passed through Customs and claimed his luggage. “It is good to see you again, my friend.”

Philipe Valderama grinned in return. “It’s good to be back. Let’s get going.”

Hidalgo thought his friend looked ridiculous in the silly cowboy boots and tight jeans, more like a man pretending to be a woman, but he understood it was how the target had dressed. Stupid Mexicans and their costumes! Playing dress-up doesn’t make people fear you. What we did at Los Passos makes people fear you. They chatted back and forth about the fight and the nuisance of Customs until they were clear of the airport and in the cheap Ford Hidalgo used for routine transportation duties. Only then did Philipe sigh. “I can’t wait to get these Goddamned boots off. I feel like a fairy in high heels.”

“All part of the role, my friend.”

“Sure, but I don’t have to like it. Just pretend I do.” Philipe smiled.

“Did the jefe send new orders?”

“Not yet, but the captain and some of his boys might be coming north in the next few days. And the jefe thought some long-range capability might be in order.”

“Of course. Your tools arrived last night.”

“Good. How are things here?”

“Aside from losing the two men in that raid it’s been going well. The message was delivered, and it’s having the desired effect. Trade has slowed to a trickle as the peasants wet themselves.” He chuckled, taking the exit ramp into the web of streets marking the start of Little Haiti. “Enough of them have heard of El Unidad to understand the message.”

Philipe smiled, looking out the window. “And the police?”

“They run around like the bodies the heads were removed from.” Hidalgo chuckled at his own image. “Javier and I were in overwatch when they found the boat.”

“Do you know anything about this mystery unit the colonel seeks?”

“Not yet. There are whispers, but we’re still outsiders and keeping a low profile. There were so many cops at the boat I couldn’t pick anyone out. Two showed up later and left early, but they looked like narcotics and not some special unit.” Hidalgo made the last turn into the safe house’s parking lot. “You know. The Gringo pretty boys they always try to send undercover.”

Si. I know the type. When will they learn it takes hard men to do hard work?” Javier looked around as the car stopped. “Good choice. No one will notice us here.”

“No, and if they ask you’re my cousin Roberto up from El Salvador.” Reaching into the glove box Hidalgo pulled out the forged papers that had come with Javier’s tools. “Here’s what you need.”

Gracias. And I don’t know about you, but I could use a beer. The flight was rough, but not as rough as the stewardesses.”

Freshly-shaved and wearing a light salmon shirt under his white linen blazer, Sonny Crockett climbed the stairs and stepped into the house he’d shared with his late wife, Caitlin Davies. Well, sort of shared, he corrected himself as he looked around. Half the time she was on tour, and part of the time she wasn’t I was on the boat playing Burnett. We never had enough time…

So many things had changed since he’d last been inside almost two years ago. Or was it three? The entry foyer had been converted to a nurse’s check-in station complete with a security post and doors that had to be buzzed open. Even though he hadn’t seen the security he’d been deeply involved in its planning. The girls at Caitlin’s House might have pimps or other scumbags coming after them, and he wanted them to feel safe the moment they walked in. But it was a fine line. They had to feel comfortable, too, and he wasn’t sure on walking in if they’d hit that balance.

Angie was waiting for him at the front desk, her body just contained by a bright blue dress. All these years and she still can’t walk in heels. But I ain’t gonna tell her that. She wobbled over and smiled. “Blondie! Little Blondie already be here. She said come on back as soon as you got here.” Her lips turned down in a frown. “The suits are here, too. And that one with the mean eyes I don’t like.”

Sonny nodded, knowing exactly who she meant. A junior partner in the firm that had handled Caitlin’s estate, Roger Watkins inserted himself in the middle of the Caitlin’s House project and so far had refused to move. Sonny had run him, and there were some question marks in his background. Nothing solid, but just enough to make him wonder. And today he’d decided to stop wondering. “You come on back with me, Angie. I’m about done with that little punk.”

She smiled. “Sonny done with that man? I’ll be right there.” She swiped a card through the door and waited for the buzz. “Let’s go. Little Blondie be waiting.”

Jenny was sitting toward the head of the long conference table, her yellow dress clinging to her body like a light fog hugging the ground. She smiled when she saw him, and waved them both over. “That little punk is here again,” she said without any preamble. “He’s pissing now.”

Sonny nodded. “Angie already told me. Who else came?”

“The big old guy. Haskell. And Dr. Jessup, the girl we hired to run the treatment side.”

“What about Dr. Sanchez?”

Angie spoke. “She be late, but she’ll be here. If not, girlfriend here will kick her ass.”

Jenny smiled. “I might. But I do want her here.”

“Is anyone from Gina’s unit coming?”

“Lia.”

“Good. She can chew good old Roger’s kneecaps off.” Sonny smiled. “And speak of the little waste of space…”

Roger Watkins looked like the kind of lawyer who’d have his face plastered on the side of every city bus in town, promising to sue anyone for the maximum amount possible. His thinning dark hair was slicked back, and Sonny wondered just how much hair dye he went through in a month even though the guy was still too young to really have gray hair. His suits were always cheaper than they looked until you got close, and he wore enough cologne to drop a charging rhino at twenty yards. But somehow he’d gotten in the door at Haskell and Francis, and managed to cling to his job in spite of no redeeming qualities. Sonny wondered just what pictures he had and what the person in question was doing.

Watkins slid into a chair just fractionally off from being at the head of the table and pulled a generic file from his leather briefcase. “Good afternoon, Ms. Walker. Uh…Angie is it? And Mr. Crockett. Shall we…”

“Haskell isn’t here yet. Neither are the rest of my staff.” Sonny let just a hint of the Burnett stare show. “We wait until they’re here.”

“Of course. I…”

Getting up, Sonny moved so he was at the head of the table. “We start when I say we do. Clear? Good.” He regretted not getting involved earlier. Maybe he could have headed this punk off before he got in as deep as he had.

Ten minutes later everyone was sitting around the table. Lia was a short, slender Puerto Rican from the victims’ services office who looked like she’d spit fire at the slightest provocation. Sitting next to her was Dr. Jessup, a tall woman with dark hair and eyes who had been hired to run the treatment side of Caitlin’s House. Across from her was another brunette, Dr. Sanchez, a clinical psychologist who’d oversee the therapy and activity side of the House. And of course Haskell, a big man with thick gray hair who looked like a lawyer sent over from central casting. He’d handled some of Caitlin’s royalty deals before her comeback, and his firm had somehow remained tied to the will and estate.

Sonny looked around. “Let’s get this rolling. We’re opening next week, and I want to make sure everything’s a go. Dr. Jessup?”

Jessup had a smooth, almost sultry voice, but there was steel under the velvet. “We finished the last of the first phase hires yesterday. I’ve got enough clinicians and nurses on staff to handle at least ten patients, so we should be fine. As you asked, I’ve also got the expansion plan ready.”

Sonny nodded. “We’ll go over that later. I want to test what we’ve got first and then adjust if we have to.”

Sanchez nodded. “I’m in the same place Nichole is. My staff’s hired and ready to go, including the security people you mentioned. I also scaled for at least ten girls. The two boats are set and ready, so we can actually start some more advanced programs ahead of schedule.”

“Good.” He turned to Lia. “And the girls?”

“We finished the last interview this morning. I’ll have the files of the three first girls to the doctors as soon as we’re done here.”

Watkins cut in. “Why not now?”

Lia’s stare would have dropped a more aware person in their tracks. “Because of patient confidentiality. They’re cleared. You’re not.”

“But from a liability standpoint I, I mean the firm, has to evaluate them.”

Sonny turned, feeling Burnett stirring just beneath the white blazer. “No. You don’t.”

“I’m afraid I must insist.”

“Then you’re fired.”

“You can’t!”

“Yes, I can. Caitlin’s will made me the executor and sole beneficiary. Right, Haskell?” He waited for the older man to nod, his eyes wide. “Good. That means I make the decisions. Not you, Roger. And I just decided you’re out. And you just cost your firm the whole deal. I’ll have to ask you two to leave before we continue talks. Confidentiality and all that.”

Haskell’s mouth moved in short jerks, but nothing came out. Then he spluttered, “Mr. Crockett, I must protest.”

“No, you must leave. As in right now. We’re going to discuss patient matters, and neither of you are cleared for those discussions. You’ll be getting my letter of termination by certified mail tomorrow.” He blinked, and felt his face slipping into the frozen Burnett stare. “You don’t want to fight this, Haskell. But you might want to take a look at Watkins here and ask yourself why he just cost you this relationship. I’ll expect a full accounting of any monies your firm may have spent from the estate in the last two years as well. My new legal team will be in touch.”

“You’ll regret this.” Watkins’ voice was a hiss. “I can…”

“You can shut up and get out.” Sonny’s voice was pure, dead Burnett now. “Or would you rather face arrest for trespass? Making criminal threats? And if you get too cute, Roger, there can be Federal changes for endangering a Federal officer in the performance of his duties. And don’t get me started on the financial side.”

Once the two left, Haskell practically dragging the gesturing Watkins out, Sonny turned to the group. “I should have fired those bozos months ago. Now let’s get this going. I want our first three girls to find Caitlin’s House welcoming and ready to help them find their way to better lives. Tell me how that looks.”

The meeting broke up almost two hours later, but Sonny felt good. He’d gotten the answers he wanted, and from looking at the files Lia brought he could tell the unit had made good choices. The girls all had solid chances for recovery, and they’d even targeted three more who could be added in a matter of days or weeks if the program looked like it could handle it.

Jenny squeezed his arm as they stood on the second floor balcony looking out toward the water. Angie was somewhere downstairs bustling through the security routines and scaring the hell out of two of the new guards. “I’m glad you fired those two. I’ll be watching for Watkins, though. He’s bad.”

“I know. He doesn’t really have a record, but there’s something…”

“No. He’s bad. I know it.” She had that look in her eyes he’d learned to trust and not question.

“I’ll get a restraining order for him and the rest of the firm.”

“Good.” She shifted, and he watched as the dress pulled tight across her firm breasts. “I have a good feeling about the girls, though.”

“So do I. Gina’s people made some good choices.”

“They did.” She paused. “I talked to her about the whole thing. How she reminded me of Monaele. We…we get along now.”

“Good. But it’s ok if you don’t. I think we’ll be working mostly with Lia when it comes to the girls. Gina might do public relations or fundraising. Stuff like that.”

“Good. I…I don’t like crowds.”

“I know. I don’t either, darlin’. But she’s a natural. Her and Stan.”

She giggled. “Stanley’s so funny. And he’s lost so much. I’d like to have him come talk to the girls sometimes, I think. I already told Catalina about it and she likes the idea.”

“Good. If we can show them cops aren’t all bad, and that many of ‘em have suffered like they have it’s a good thing.” He paused. “I might see if Trudy…”

“I already talked to her. She really wants to do it.”

“You know, it’s a shame Noogie isn’t still alive. That little bozo would have loved this.”

“That’s what she said, too.” Jenny looked out toward the water, her eyes sad. “We lose so many, Sonny. Too many.”

“I know, darlin’. But we aren’t losing each other. Never.”

Night was starting to claim the Miami skyline when Stan gave Castillo his last-minute briefing. “There have been no major changes, captain,” he finished. “Dave’s heading out in about an hour to get into position, and Randy and I will roll in about eight thirty just to make Skaggs sweat a bit more than he usually does.”

“Good. I’ll expect your report tomorrow. Stay on this one, Switek. If these people can produce M-16s I want them shut down.”

“You got it, captain.” Turning, Stan headed back out into the main conference room, shooting the rest of his team a thumbs up.

Dave grinned, his normally-short hair hidden under a shaggy wig anchored by a mesh-backed NRA cap. A faded “Dukes of Hazzard” t-shirt completed his look. “This better work. I feel like an asshole in this get-up.”

Lester chuckled. “At least the wig hides the earpiece. I got the wire running back along your neck, but until they figure out a way to do this without wires it’s as good as it gets.”

“And if it acts up, yank it and just listen for the page.” Stan looked around. “We ready to roll?”

“Yeah.” Lester stood up. “I’ll go get Crockett and Tubbs and get moving. I wanna be in position about the same time Dave goes in. Just in case.”

Stan nodded, feeling his usual surge of pleasure when a plan started coming together. He found he really enjoyed this part of the job, coming up with a plan with his people and then watching them make it better as they executed it. Two years ago he never would have thought he’d be running operations, let alone in charge of a team as good as Team Elvis. It was just one of the reasons he’d never go back to Metro-Dade.

Randy looked up from his notes. “You figure Skaggs will come through?”

“Hector looked like he wanted it, and he made those calls damned fast. So I’d say we got a good chance of getting something out of him. Might not be M-16s, but he sure acted like he could get them.”

“You think it’s leftovers from good ol’ Earl’s stock?”

“That I don’t know. We’ll know once we run the numbers, I guess.” Stan shook his head. “But I don’t know if ATF raked in any when they cleaned up his mess.”

“I don’t think they did. Ingrams, mostly, and those Tech 9s he was gonna sell the Dominicans. And what was left of the Ma Duce after Dave took out the feed cover. I don’t think we ever saw the full list, though.”

“No, and that means they likely didn’t get everything.” Stan shook his head. “They’d be bragging to high heaven if they did.”

“They did get their shit scattered pretty good, though. I think they just wanted the whole damend thing to go away.”

“Probably why they handed this to us instead of chasing it themselves. In addition to not having enough agents to handle the cases they have.”

Randy nodded. “Guess I’d better go get changed. Haul that damned jacket on again and get Patch ready to ride.” He grinned. “Ya know, I could kinda get used to this whole undercover thing. Don’t expect Dave to, though. He’s a shooter clear through.”

“Yeah. I’ve been meaning to ask…does that mean he’s the better shot? Him being on the rifle all the time?”

“No. The way the Corps trained us if we’re working as a team the better shot is the spotter. It’s the spotter who does most of the distance estimation and target location, and to get distance down you have to be a better shot.” Randy paused. “So I’ve been his spotter since early 1969.”

“I never knew that.”

“Most people don’t. It’s just how the Corps trained us.” Randy’s eyes were still distant. “I’d better get ready.”

Stan watched him go, wondering what the question had dug up that Randy didn’t want to talk about. But he respected the man’s privacy. Hell, he knew what it was like for a simple word to stir up bad memories. He still didn’t watch boxing on TV, and avoided gyms for reasons other than preserving his girlish figure. Crockett’s apology had done quite a bit to heal that wound, but he still found himself watching the light-haired cop from time to time and questioning some of his decisions. Not because they needed it, but out of habit. And he knew Sonny was careful around him, choosing his words and praising when maybe he didn’t need to. It was a dance, and one Stan figured would only end when they left the force.

They rolled out just after eight, counting on the evening traffic to put them at Bomber’s about eight thirty. Give or take. Stan wasn’t too worried about hitting a particular window. So long as Dave and the Roach Coach were both in place if they got there before nine he’d be happy. As they rode he let the night play itself out in his head, working through things that could happen and how he’d respond. Especially if Skaggs tried something stupid like setting them up.

The Browning pressed against his hip as he leaned into a turn, reminding him it was there like it had tapped him on the shoulder. He wasn’t too worried about a fight, it was what came after that kept him thinking. If Skaggs set them up, it was either because their cover had been blown or because the biker was a bigger moron than Stan thought, and that was a damned high bar.

Bomber’s was its usual squalid self, complete with smokers out front and someone puking their guts out in the alley running alongside the bar. Inside it had the usual smells, and Stan brushed past Dave at the bar without a second glance. A quick scan showed him Skaggs in the back by the pinball machines, and he tapped Randy on the shoulder and pointed. The former Marine nodded and they headed back.

Skaggs made a show of pushing back from the machine and grinning. “Brothers! Let’s get some beer and talk!”

“Been talkin’ all damned day, but I don’t say no to beer. Especially when someone else is buyin’.” Stan laughed and slapped Skaggs on the shoulder. “We’ll throw some pussies off a table and be waitin’.” He turned and glared at two wide-eyed college guys. “Best shift it, pussies. Me and Patch feel like sitin’ instead of standin’.”

Randy pulled out a ten. “Grab yourselves a couple of pitchers and go bother someone at the bar. You can go easy or hard, and believe me you’d rather go easy.”

Once the two frat boys were gone, Stan settled onto the empty chair with a sigh. “I could almost get used to the bad-ass act if I hadn’t have been kicked out of so many seats when I was younger.”

“Yeah, but don’t get all teary yet. Skaggs is comin’ back.”

After handing out the longneck bottles, Skaggs snagged a chair from the table next to them and sat down himself. “Rusty wanted me to say you boys checked out. Not that I had any doubt, mind. But he likes bein’ careful.”

“And you’ll be glad to know he checked out, too. Him and the other two.” Stan’s grin was thin. “He ain’t the only one into careful.”

“You checked on Rusty?”

“Damned straight, you moron. Hell, I’d check on you if I didn’t already know everything I needed to know.”

“Biggs! Bro! Come on, man.”

“Think about it, you idiot. Holmes got taken out by the damend Feds, right? How’d they get onto his operation? You know they didn’t just find it one day when they was out pickin’ daisies.” Stan looked over. “Ain’t that right, Patch?”

“Damned straight. See, Biggs an’ I go back to the Army. You I don’t know. The others I don’t know. Any one of you could have given this Holmes up to the Feds so they could take his action. Ain’t the first time it would have happened, an’ if it went down that way it won’t be the last time.”

“I didn’t think…”

“No, Skaggs. You didn’t. But it’s cool. Patch an’ I are set to deal. What’s on the table?”

“Rusty wanted me to tell you the whole list. Every damned thing you wanted. Five grand each for the long guns and he’ll throw the 9s in for four hundred each.”

“And these are the real deal? No some knock-off or trailer gunsmith job? Cause if Rusty tries to screw us, I’m shootin’ you first, Skaggs.”

“No, Patch. Swear to God. He ain’t gonna screw over brothers. He even said name a place where you can test ‘em so you can see for yourself.”

“Now that was awful damned white of him.” Stan grinned at his own thin joke. “We’ll take it, even though the 16s are a bit high.” Reaching into his jacket he pulled out a pencil and piece of paper he’d torn from a notebook earlier that day. Scribbling an address, he handed it to Skaggs. “That’s a warehouse down by the waterfront. It used to belong to some beaner who ran drugs, but now it’s just sittin’ on account of him gettin’ himself killed. You could set off a bomb down there and no one would call the cops. Tell him to meet us there in two days at midnight. He doesn’t show, the deal’s off. Period. We’ll have the cash, he’d better have the guns and ammo for ‘em all.”

“He ain’t gonna fuck you guys.” Skaggs took a deep drink of his Bud. “You can bet on that. Hell, he likes you two. Play it right an’ you might get a…what do they call it…?”

“Franchise.”

“Yeah. He might give you one of them up in the Panhandle. Gotta make sure the right guns get to the right kind of people. Our people.”

“You got that right, Skaggs.”

• Like 2

Good atmosphere, especially the scenes with Stan, Randy and Skaggs. I liked how Sonny handled the lawyers, too. 

I'm nervous about this South American crew and wondering when they'll strike again. 

I'm enjoying this! Keep it coming!

• Thanks 1