Breaking Point Part XV

Robbie C.

“And you’re sure you weren’t followed?”

Sonny looked at Castillo. “Yeah. As much as I can be.”

“I was checking our six the whole way back, captain. If they were following us they were using a box…cars in front and in back.”

Castillo nodded, not looking up. “Stay on it. Meet with Carrera again. We need to keep Burnett in view long enough for them to make a move of some kind.”

Sonny nodded. He knew the score. “Yeah. I don’t think they’ll move until they’re sure about what I’m up to. And we have no way of knowing if that guy was Unit 8, Carrera’s guy, or competition keeping an eye on Carrera. He’s got his share of enemies.”

“We assume it’s Unit 8 regardless. I want no mistakes on this one.”

Stan had been silent at the far end of the table. Now he spoke up. “You want me to start running passive sweeps in the background on these operations, captain? Parking the Roach Coach and just listening in to see who’s talking out there.”

“Yes. I should have done that tonight. How close to you need to be for that to work?”

“Depends on their gear, but anywhere out to about a mile. Less if there’s TV or radio broadcasts close by.”

“Good. I want you to roll with backup, though. At least Sergeant Franz and maybe Deputy Mather if he’s available. Keep a low profile.”

Sonny was only half-listening. His mind kept playing back to the inside of the Overton. Trying to fit pieces together. Little slivers of memory that kept dancing just out of reach. “Trudy? Can you run a street girl? Goes by the name Sissy. Something about that whole act didn’t feel right to me.”

Trudy got up from the table. “You got it. Anything else about her?”

“Skinny. Pale with blonde hair that came from a bottle. I think the original color was dark brown based on her eyebrows. And she had dark brown eyes. I’d say no more than five four and maybe a buck thirty.”

“You think she’s working with Unit 8?”

“No, Rico. I can’t see them bringing a woman in. They’d be too damned macho. But he said she was Pancho’s favorite. I want to see if that’s true. And if she’s tied to someone else…”

“She might have been a plant and tipped someone off about Burnett and Cooper wanting to deal.”

“Jo got it, meng.” He looked at the map. “And that’s something Unit 8 could have picked up.”

“How do you figure?”

“If they were watching Carrera and she took off and made a call or something, they’d figure that out fast. And some of their boys got a good look at us when they took out Victor.”

Castillo’s voice cut in. “Do you believe what Carrera said about Pancho?”

“Yeah. I do. They’d move in the same circles, more than the bartender at Bomber’s would. And that bit he said about the girl rang true.” Sonny scratched the stubble on his chin. “I wonder who they slipped in posing as Pancho?”

“And how many more are coming in now?” Rico shook his head. “A bunch like this is gonna have first-rate papers. And we trained them to slip through security. At least I’ll bet the Company gave them a crash course.”

“Everyone needs to be on high alert from here on out.” Castillo’s voice was sharp. “These men are trained and ruthless. Crockett won’t be their only target. And Deputy Mather? No one is to visit Deputy Blair except you. We need to limit our exposure. If they are as precise as I think they are there’s a good chance they have already determined which hospital he’s in.”

Randy nodded. “Do you think Debbie’s in any danger?”

“She could be. Have her discontinue visits until further notice. It would have taken them time to locate him and get into position, but once they’re in place I think they’ll keep someone there until we neutralize them.”

Randy got up from the table. “I’ll call and let her know. We’ve got a clean connection to The Sanctuary.”

Rico shook his head. “I don’t dig being hunted, captain. We need to be hunting them.”

“We are. But in a different way.”

“What he means, Rico, is we’re hunting them like those old Brits hunted tigers in India. And I’m the tethered goat.” Sonny grinned.

“Everyone go home and get some sleep. We start fresh in the morning.” Castillo looked up, his dark eyes blazing. “We need more information on these men. And then we need to start taking them down.”

Jefe, the captain is on the line now.”

Delacruz nodded and hit the button. He hated the secure lines. They hissed and popped even more than normal international calls, but he understood the necessity. “Report, captain.”

Salazar’s voice came through weak and drawn out, like he was speaking at the other end of a long tunnel. “We are making progress, sir. You were correct in assuming there was some kind of special unit operating in Miami. We have wounded one man we believe is a member, and I have the hospital he’s in under surveillance.”

“Good work, Salazar. Do we know the identity of these men?”

“Not directly. But I have a tentative profile completed. We monitored radio communication just after the removal of Victor referring to the Task Force. Not a task force, but a specific entity called the Task Force. I reviewed the tapes myself to verify this.”

Delacruz nodded even though Salazar couldn’t see him. “And with the Americans that means more than one agency is involved.”

“That was my assumption as well, sir. One of them would have to be local, so I have one of my men going through open source intel to see if we can determine which part of the Metro-Dade police force contributed personnel. My thought is some of the men might be high ranking, and their move would appear somehow.”

“Worth a look. Do you know what other agencies are involved?”

There was a pause. “We already had that information, sir. In the interrogation of that Pancho puta by Sergeant Major Pascal.”

“He gave us nothing.”

“It took some time, sir, but he did. In his own way. He was raised in El Notre, so he has their memories. When I was reading the report, I remembered something I saw on television in Virginia while I was waiting for training. An older show in black and white. The main character was United States Marshal Matt Dillon. I believe he was telling us the second agency was the Marshal’s Service.”

Delacruz thought for a moment. “Explain.”

“That agency has wide powers, but one of their specialties is locating and apprehending dangerous fugitives. High risk warrants I think they call it. I saw one of their teams drilling when I was at training in Virginia. They are very good. And finding people is what they do. It would be a simple task for them to locate Moncado or some of the others they are said to have taken down.”

“Can this be verified?”

“I have people working open source, and we continue to monitor the radios. But this unit is careful. Unlike some other American agencies, the Marshal’s Service does not seem hungry for attention. Our local contacts say their jefe in Miami is one who will bend or ignore rules to get the job done.”

“Good work, captain. Do you have more to report?”

“Lieutenant Orozco and most of his men are on the ground.” There was a pause, and he could hear the line hiss and pop in the silence. “Sir, I’m not sure if Orozco is the best choice for this situation.”

“He needs to learn, Eduardo. And you are the best one to teach him. His men will be of use in the coming weeks. There are messages yet to be delivered.”

He heard the man sigh. “Of course, sir. And I think we have located our first local target. His name is Burnett.”

“That name is familiar.”

“He was the one who took over the Manolo organization and almost opened direct trade with Mexico before one of his men turned on him. It seems he took from that the lesson that he should stick to transportation. He is one of the best in the area, but our local sources tell us he won’t deal with anything at the source. He picks up offshore and then moves it through South Florida. But he’s very good and very ruthless.” There was  pause. “Eliminating him would destroy one of the few functional networks in the area capable of moving large amounts of product. It’s also said he has good relations with a major buyer from New York.”

“What do you propose we do with him?”

“By all accounts he’s a businessman. If we make his business uncomfortable and then approach with a solution, he should be willing to deal. I’ll know more once we’ve completed the intelligence workup on him.” There was a note of apology in his voice. “We weren’t aware of his presence until the operation with Victor.”

“If he operates strictly in El Notre there’s no reason you should have been aware of him, captain. An oversight on my part. I should have expanded our preparations to include men like him.” Rodrigo paused. “We will be shifting command to a jump headquarters in the next day or two. I need to be closer to Miami so I can respond quicker to requests for support. This is a key move for us and it requires our full attention.”

They spoke for a few minutes longer and then he ended the call. The presence of this Burnett was a complication, but he had faith in Salazar’s ability to handle it. The man always looked ahead, seeing future value in things others might just deem an obstacle. Orozco, for instance, would have tried to kill Burnett by now. And likely failed.

And it was starting to come back to him. He’d heard of the Manolo organization, what they’d call a cartel now, back when he was still officially with the army. It had been one of the cases they’d studied in training as an example of how a criminal organization could grow unchecked if left alone too long. He’d always assumed Burnett had been collateral damage when the organization crumbled, but it seemed the assumption was incorrect.

Still, it didn’t change the basic plan. Those who knew of Ocho were paying their dues now, regular as clockwork. He’d seen the reports from Salazar’s logistics team. But it was still time to move. He hit another button. “Sergeant Major. Report on the jump headquarters.”

Gordo’s voice echoed back. “Colonel. It sounds like you’re right behind me. We will be ready to move in another twenty four hours. No more. The delay comes with the communications equipment.”

“Let them do their job, sergeant major. Comms are important. It must be done right and not hurried.”

Se, jefe. I know. They tell me they will be done within that time.”

Rodrigo nodded, making a note to speak with the communications sergeant later. Gordo had a bad habit of telling him what he wanted to hear and then doing something different, especially when it came to the men. And comms was something that could not be hurried, not if it was to work correctly. And he needed to stay in touch with the men remaining behind.

Looking out the window, he made a quick mental inventory of his resources. Salazar would have about twenty men once the rest of Orozco’s team was on the ground, but at least five of them were support personnel. He might need a few more to complete his mission. The jump HQ would soak up another thirty, maybe more if he wanted to hold men ready as reserves for Miami. Better make it fifty, then. Close to one hundred members of Unidad Ocho committed to the El Notre operation. About one fifth of his total strength, not counting the associated surrogates and hired help.

Still, he worried he wasn’t committing enough resources to the Miami operation. Especially with the news Salazar had delivered about this Task Force. He was glad his intuition had been confirmed, but he also didn’t want to be caught underestimating an opponent. Maybe another team to the jump HQ would settle his fears, but he also needed to know how many men that location could support. Their network in Miami was at capacity, so sending more there wasn’t an option.

But that was a puzzle for tomorrow. Right now there was a producer over in Columbia who was proving reluctant to kick in his tax. Such things could not be tolerated. Hitting another button, he waited for the officer to answer the tone. “Lieutenant. Some up, please. I want to discuss the Bilago situation. It must be resolved before I move to the jump headquarters.”

Martin Castillo sensed Trudy come out onto the deck, but he didn’t move. Just kept looking out at the shimmering water just visible in the fading light. He knew sooner or later he’d have to make the call, but hoped it would be later. Touching his past always made Castillo nervous.

He felt her strong fingers on his shoulder. “What’s bothering you?”

“I’ll have to call them soon.”

“Who?”

“The Company. I can’t see any way around it. Besides, they had a hand in creating these monsters. It’s only right they should help sweep up.”

“What do you think they can add?”

“Information at least. They helped train these men. They’ll have files on them, even if they won’t admit it. We need to know who we’re dealing with.”

She nodded, a slow movement of her head. “But does the information go both ways?”

“I don’t know.” His gaze shifted from the water to the dying sun sinking below the horizon. “It’s always a question with them. I doubt if they’re officially in contact with Unit 8, but there’s always someone with their own agenda who might be.”

“And that would tip Unit 8 off that we’re onto them.”

He felt his lips twitch into a smile. “You learn fast, my love.”

Her arms slid around him. “I have a good teacher.”

“I might know someone I can call. He’s been out for a few years, but still has access. There would be no comebacks with him.”

“Do you think he’d help?”

“Maybe. He was in for a long time. Maybe too long. He sees plots everywhere. Only uses pay phones.” He smiled at a memory from his training. “To contact him I have to leave a chalk mark outside a specific Cuban restaurant in Little Havana. Then he calls my number.” The smile vanished. “But depending on what we learn I may have to reach out anyhow.”

“Why?”

“We don’t know how big this Unit 8 is. If they’re large, we don’t have enough people. And Chief Deputy Washington can’t spare more than one warrant team. I know who I’d need, but it would take the Company to get them.” He thought back to the tape they’d gotten with Maynard killing the last members of the Calderone family and the man who’d made that happen. Moneybags and his team would even the odds considerably. But that was a problem for later. Right now their problem was a lack of solid intelligence.

“I talked to Randy earlier. He said Dave’s getting better. He also said Debbie understands about not seeing him. She’s not happy, but she understands.”

“It’s for her own protection. Nothing is off limits for Unit 8.”

“I know. I read the files.” He felt her shudder. “How can men be so cruel?”

“Training. Some might call it programming, but it’s all training. If you see your enemies as less than human it’s easier.” He shook his head, thinking back to the child-soldiers he’d seen coming out of Cambodia when he was still posted in Thailand. The emptiness of their eyes matched only by their hollow souls. “Once the programming begins it’s hard to undo. And harder to stop.”

“You think the CIA did this?”

“They may have provided the tools. But the decision was likely made by men in Peru of higher rank than this Delacruz. Men who never dirty their hands often make those decisions. Then they can deny knowledge when it goes wrong.” He listened to the waves for a moment. “Because it always goes wrong.”

“What do you think made them turn?”

“They did their government’s dirty work, and then the government declared them criminals. That might have been the start, and it might be what some of them still tell themselves. But the money is always a factor, and there are likely more than a few men in Unit 8 who enjoy the work.”

“And this colonel?”

Castillo looked out at the horizon and the growing number of glinting stars. “He likely feels betrayed by his commanders. He might look at what they’re doing as providing for his men, giving them the rewards they earned and were denied by their government. And if they were supposed to be involved in that Bolivian coup he might be making up for lost time now. Trying to increase earnings to offset that loss.” He shook his head. “I don’t know. I just want to know enough about him to get Crockett in his head.”

“Do you think Sonny can outplan them?”

“Not alone. But he gives us an edge. One they won’t expect from a police agency.”

She came around and looked him in the eye, and he could see worry in her deep brown eyes. “What do we do when this is over, Marty? If we have to go as far as you think we might…”

“If we break Unit 8, anything we do in the process will be forgiven. I’ve been around long enough to know that. And if we fail…it won’t matter.” He took her in his arms. “But it’s a fair question, my love. What do you want us to do?”

“We’ve both been shot. I still wake up some nights seeing you bleeding in Moncado’s courtyard. Do you ever think we’re pushing our luck?”

“I think we make our own luck by being good. But everyone gets tired. Wears down. If we can break Unit 8, maybe it’s time to let someone else carry the load. Smashing a threat like this will buy agencies some time. Maybe that’s the best we can do. And if we succeed, the Marshal’s Service is almost guaranteed to promote Chief Deputy Washington.” He smiled in the growing darkness. “I’m too old to start over with a new boss.”

She giggled, and he was happy to have brought a smile to her face even though he couldn’t see it. But deep down he felt the truth in the words. He was too old to start over with someone new. He’d taken the Task Force assignment to make a difference, something he’d been trying to do ever since he left the DEA and came to Metro-Dade. And he felt like he had. The unit had broken more major cases in the short time they’d existed than any four units had in three times as long…and more than he’d ever been able to managed with OCB. But one of their successes might have created the hole letting Unit 8 into Miami, and he he could slam that hole shut he couldn’t think of a better moment to go.

Holding his wife, just enjoying the smell of her hair and the feel of her body against his, he knew the choice was already made in his heart. And that was what mattered.

“Now that my team is assembled I think it’s time we taught these peasants another lesson about the perils of ignoring El Unidad.”

Captain Salazar sighed. “And what would you suggest, lieutenant? Based no doubt on your extensive experience in El Notre.”

The younger man winced but drove on. “I admit I don’t have the time in the US that you and some of the others do, but maybe that’s an advantage. I see possibilities where you might see something else.”

Salazar nodded. It was a fair, if inaccurate, point. “And what are these possibilities you see?”

“We must make the local traffickers fear us like those who have been south do.”

“Of course. But they must also have the chance to pay their tax first. Since we executed Victor many have. Those pig Dominicas for starters.”

“Yes, sir. But you complained about the Columbians being slow. Not knowing their place. Allow me to take my team and teach them their place.”

Salazar nodded. He had complained about the group calling itself Los Tech 9s. A bunch of overgrown kids using their own product and thinking they were one step below Escobar himself. Maybe they had missed the part where Escobar was gunned down. From what he understood they were the cast-offs of another gang who’d used the name before them. So scum from scum. And they had failed to show the proper respect.

“Let me show you I can do this, sir. And within the operational limits.”

He let the thought turn itself around in his head. Much as he hated to admit it Orozco was making sense. And the Columbians should know their place. At least half of them had heard of Ocho before. And still they thumb their noses. “Sketch your plan for me. And within the limits.”

Orozco’s smile was almost as annoying as his voice. “Of course, sir. We know where these putas like to drink. Where they buy their women. There’s a bar down on the edge of the district called Little Haiti where they go most nights. My team can get there near closing time, block the place off, and deal with them. We wear masks, like the days in the villages.”

“But you only silence those from Los Tech 9s. No one else.”

“Of course, sir. They’re easy to spot because of those foolish tattoos they’re so proud of.”

“Go with one of Corporal Hidalgo’s men and scout the location first. I want a proper operations plan. Do you know the response time of this Metro-Dade police force?”

“Sir…”

“In that part of the city it is ten minutes…twenty at the most if there are shots fired. Your plan should be designed to be finished within ten minutes, including the exfiltration. We’re on a clock in this city, lieutenant, which means our goals may need to be adjusted from time to time. You will have suppressors, but that will only buy you so much time.”

Orozco’s jaw set in a firm line. “Of course, sir. You’ll have my plan by this time tomorrow.”

Once the man left, Salazar let his anger drain in a long sigh. It wasn’t the younger man’s fault he didn’t know the Metro-Dade response time, but it was his fault that he did not ask. The operation was a risk, but he could count on the number of enemies Los Tech 9s had managed to make to provide cover. Especially since there wouldn’t be enough time for extensive messaging like severing heads. Maybe they’d get eight of them and maybe not. But he could count on Orozco’s team to shoot each body eight times. It was as high as most of them could count.

And perhaps the message could carry over to this Burnett. Showing him they were serious. A man like Burnett would only respect strength, and by breaking Los Tech 9s El Unidad was showing its strength.

Still, he didn’t like giving Orozco that much responsibility this soon. The man was prone to excesses, staring with that cock-up in Las Plassas where he’d gotten in a gunfight with Columbian police instead of taking out the traffickers he’d been sent to punish. Instead of just breaking contact, Orozco had gone on to wipe out the patrol, requiring El Unidad to expend time and resources to repair the damage. And unlike Columbia one couldn’t just paper over the killing of police in Miami with a suitcase of cash.

Reaching out, he hit a button on the Radio Shack marvel. “Is Corporal Hidalgo back yet?”

His comms man replied at once. “Si, captain. He came back almost an hour ago.”

“Send him in, would you? I need his report.” And I have another task for him. Maybe two tasks. We shall see.

Corporal Hidalgo’s sharp eyes missed nothing as he reported in. “The captain wishes to see me?”

“Sit at ease, corporal. What is the situation at the hospital?”

“I’m rotating men into the observation position. Actually there are three positions, with a fourth in the hospital itself if we need it.” He smiled. “Better to rotate than to draw attention.”

“Agreed. And what have you seen?”

“One man seems to visit the wounded one. I would say he was the spotter judging from Philipe’s description in his report. His security remains constant as well.”

Salazar nodded. “And your conclusion?”

“His unit is being careful. They’re only sending a man known to us to visit him. We have never tried to follow him, as you ordered.”

“Good. Continue the surveillance for now. And I have a new assignment for you. You’re to go with Lieutenant Orozco to conduct pre-raid reconnaissance on a bar called The Rooster on the edge of Little Haiti. Look the place over for security and that kind of thing. The attack force will be Orozco’s normal team, so locate entry and exit points with that in mind.”

Hidalgo nodded. “Of course, sir.”

“Send your recommendations to me separate from those of the lieutenant. Am I clear?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Excellent. Report to him once you’ve eaten and perhaps gotten some rest. His operation will take place after dark, but it’s best if the reconnaissance is done during daylight.” Salazar smiled. “Less margin for error. We can’t afford errors now.”

Even though he wasn’t by nature a morning person, Sonny Crockett loved watching the sun come up over the water. Spreading red and gold over the rolling waves as it climbed into the stark blue sky.

But today wasn’t one of those days. Rain leaked from a leaden sky, low, dark clouds hiding the sun like a shroud. Sitting under the wheelhouse awning on Tranquility listening to drops patter on the waterproof fabric he sipped his coffee and looked out across the marina. Knowing he was avoiding the inevitable.

“You look like you’re thinking.” Jenny touched his shoulder as she came up from below, her white t-shirt sticking to her damp body like thin fog.

“And you look like you just got out of the shower.” Sonny smiled and turned to kiss her. “Yeah, I guess I am. Thinkin’ about how this is all messed up. Heads in boats. Guys like that shouldn’t be walking the earth, let alone breathing in Miami. But they’re here, and I got to find them.”

“You will. I know that.”

“Yeah. But what then? What comes next? I thought I’d seen it all when they started feeding girls balloons full of coke and sending them through airports, but heads?” He finished his coffee, setting the cup down on the deck. “It’s gonna take all I have to run these punks down. I don’t know what’ll be left after that.”

“Me.” She sat down on his lap, wiggling her backside to get comfortable.

“I know, darlin’. Don’t think for a second I don’t know that. But it’s a different kind of numbers game now. Back when I was still with Caroline we used to talk about how many cops in the Vice unit got divorced. Now it’s how many of us have been shot and how many times. I just…” He paused, feeling her smooth skin under his fingers. “I just feel like we’re pushing our luck. I know some of those boys talk about making your own luck, but that doesn’t always work.”

“I know how you feel. I felt that way when I walked away from my old life.” She smiled again. “I do miss it sometimes. Loading a statue or painting on Vellamo. Hoisting sail and running in with the wind along some shallow channel I knew the Coast Guard didn’t watch. It was like playing pirates, but it was real. Sometimes it was too real. You had to watch everyone you talked to. Avoid the drug runners because you never knew when they’d try to steal your boat or your route.”

“The thrill goes away.”

“Yes. And then it’s empty. Hollow. You’re alone most days. Really alone not just by yourself in some coffee shop by the water. That was when I knew I had to leave. And when I found you I knew why I had to leave.”

“Yeah. I know the feeling. I got it once, almost, when Cait and I got married. But that damned charge was still there. And I chased it. Hell, it’s how you stay ahead in that world. But it cost me just about everything I cared about. And for what? You might love it, but it don’t love you back.”

“No.” She shifted again, pressing herself down on him. “If your heart is telling you it’s time, you should listen. Your heart knows more than your head. And now you’d better finish getting ready or you’ll be late.”

• Like 1