Confirmation from Jan Hammer About Roland TR-808 Drum Machine

Dadrian

Some of the musicians on the forum over the years have speculated that Jan owned/used this unit on a few Miami Vice cues, as it’s unmistakably present on songs like “Angelina Flashback” and “Crockett’s Return”. You can also hear it basically soloed as C&T have their first meeting with Grocero outside the hotel in “Smuggler’s Blues”. However (to my knowledge), Jan has never credited this unit alongside all the others in any interview or liner notes. I’ve also never seen it any of his studio photos. 

Jan confirmed with me today (through his manager) that he used the TR-808, and sampled it into the Fairlight. 

I’ve always wanted one. Now I gotta have one. :) 

Bad news: they haven’t been produced since 1983, and one that still works can cost around $5K!

Good news: a company called Behringer has made a clone that even most haughty scoffers are approving. It only costs $349! I ordered one, but the back order date is currently 1/11/20. 

I will post updates here. I would love to reproduce that “Grocero Meet” cue, along with the other sounds as Tubbs is about to jump off the bridge near the end. 

Here’s a good demo of how great the clone is vs. the original: 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Assasinge said:

Not to derail this topic's topic but, what's the story on you being able to communicate with Jan Hammer so freely?

His manager and I have emailed since 1997. It began when Jan first started kicking around the idea for the “Complete Collection”. The manager even called me on the phone once with my French Twist cover playing in the background! I was mortified :) They were asking me not to make anymore covers while they were trying to get the album together, and that Universal could even get nasty about the MP3s because they were available for download (on an older version of this site). All that is history now. They know I’m just a fan who doesn’t want any gain or fame. That’s why my name is not even on the YouTube or Instagram accounts. It’s all about the music!

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 9

Oh, interesting! Well that is pretty neat stuff then, let's hope you can keep up the covers of all unreleased music on then! 

Sidenote, I feel like I'm the youngest member here when I read stuff like "since 1997" and everyone's experiences here lol

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

You can’t forget about “Marina”, pal! That song definitely uses TR-808 or samples of it. That’s my favorite Jan Hammer Vice song (maybe tied with “Rain”). The original “McCarthy” version sounds like LinnDrum only.

I’m wondering if Jan got the machine after hearing Marvin Gaye’s “Sexual Healing”. His TR-808 patterns seem a little influenced by that song.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

You can’t forget about “Marina”, pal!

On 11/19/2019 at 12:54 PM, Dadrian said:

songs like “Angelina Flashback” and “Crockett’s Return”.

“Marina” and a few other great cues were included in the “like”. :p

• Haha 1