What happened to Lester?

RedDragon86

He was good addition to the team early on season 1. Why did he disappear or make an appearance as somebody different?

Such a likable character and a good tech guy who's presence should have been around a lot more I think.

4 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

He was good addition to the team early on season 1. Why did he disappear or make an appearance as somebody different?

Such a likable character and a good tech guy who's presence should have been around a lot more I think.

Because the producers had no idea how to use secondary characters well. I think that's pretty evident by how they handled the ones they had. They totally bungled Switek's character, which had tons of plot potential.

I lay that at the producers because if you look at the draft scrips you start finding roles written down or out completely. Scenes that would have added some depth or complexity are removed and replaced with a chase or something mundane.

Of course I'm a bit biased because I kept Lester around. But had they bothered, they could have done the same thing with him I did: team him up with Stan.

Edited by Robbie C.
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

Because the producers had no idea how to use secondary characters well. I think that's pretty evident by how they handled the ones they had. They totally bungled Switek's character, which had tons of plot potential.

I lay that at the producers because if you look at the draft scrips you start finding roles written down or out completely. Scenes that would have added some depth or complexity are removed and replaced with a chase or something mundane.

Of course I'm a bit biased because I kept Lester around. But had they bothered, they could have done the same thing with him I did: team him up with Stan.

I agree, the obvious thing they should have did was make him Stan's partner after Larry died. 

Edited by RedDragon86

Which doesn't really matter if we're talking about the character Lester. Another squandered opportunity. And this threat might be better housed in the Character Discussion section, honestly. Unless it fades away like a Vice supporting character...:eek:

Edited by Robbie C.

• Ferrariman pinned this topic
  • Administrators
3 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

And this thread might be better housed in the Character Discussion section

Done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

Done!

Thanks! It was more of an observation, but putting it here might keep it alive a bit longer. Lester was a good character, and they really wasted yet another opportunity by writing him out. Think of how the OCB dynamic could have improved had they been able to drop Lester in once John Diehl decided to leave the show. Vice at its roots was essentially based on sets of partners (Crockett and Tubbs, Trudy and Gina, and Stan and Larry), with a lieutenant holding them together. Breaking that broke some of the essential framework and contributed (I think) to a series of weaker plots as the series moved on. Stan in essence became the third wheel, and it really gutted his character (and even then the producers screwed the proverbial pooch by not bringing in scripts that explored Stan's feelings after Larry's murder or what should have been his deep resentment against Crockett for pushing that case as hard as he did).

One thing I've learned from looking at the draft scripts is that a lot of character opportunities were removed during rewrites. I think this ultimately hurt Vice when it came up against Dallas, which was known for strong character-driven plot lines. Gloss wasn't going to cut it for that audience, and the good episodes they came up with during that time were often weaker because the team was out of balance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

Lester was a good character, and they really wasted yet another opportunity by writing him out. Think of how the OCB dynamic could have improved had they been able to drop Lester in once John Diehl decided to leave the show. Vice at its roots was essentially based on sets of partners (Crockett and Tubbs, Trudy and Gina, and Stan and Larry), with a lieutenant holding them together. Breaking that broke some of the essential framework and contributed (I think) to a series of weaker plots as the series moved on. Stan in essence became the third wheel, and it really gutted his character (and even then the producers screwed the proverbial pooch by not bringing in scripts that explored Stan's feelings after Larry's murder or what should have been his deep resentment against Crockett for pushing that case as hard as he did).

Glad you kept their stories alive. It's been interesting seeing what could have been!

Moving it to Character Discussion was a good move. Thanks, Robbie and Ferrariman!

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 1

I just read somewhere that he was reassigned back to Metro from OCB and electronic surveillance duties were taken over by Switek and Zito.

At least it's explained. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I just read somewhere that he was reassigned back to Metro from OCB and electronic surveillance duties were taken over by Switek and Zito.

At least it's explained. 

That would be the Miami Vice Wiki, which is of dubious (at best) reliability when it comes to characters. The article on Lester isn't sourced by even their weak standards.

I found him!  Kidding, but he had a small part in Nobody’s Perfekt, recommended to me by miamjimf, because it showed 42 Star Island.  He played a gang member.  This was in 1981.

• Like 1