Breaking Point Part XX

Robbie C.

Martin Castillo stared at the phone. Knowing he had to make the call soon but wanting to put it off as long as possible. Reaching out to the CIA was always a risk, especially when you knew they were waiting for your call. He could still hear Kiki’s warning in his ears. Talk only to Hendricks. Hopefully it will be that easy.

He knew the Company had safe houses scattered around South Florida. What better way to keep an eye on Cuba and the legions of Cuban ex-patriots at the same time? It was also a handy jumping-off point for their various excursions into Central and South America, depending on the way the political winds were blowing. And Hendricks had always been in the center of those winds, like the calm spot in the eye of a hurricane. But Castillo remembered him from other, darker places. They had a history of sorts.

Hendricks picked up on the third ring. “How are you, Marty?”

“Kiki must have warned you.”

“He said you might be calling. And he was given this number to give only to you.” Hendricks had a dry, rasping laugh. “You’ve been busy over the last few years. Cleaned up a few messes for us. We don’t forget that.”

“And I’m cleaning up another one.”

“Yeah. It’s not just ours, but that doesn’t matter now. What do you need?”

“An assault team. I know you have relations with DOD. I’d like Moneybags’ Delta team. I know he and his people will be capable. And discrete.”

“Shouldn’t be a problem. I can throw in some other assets if you like. The boys who helped take down Pablo for one. Their little planes should help you run down these Unit 8 guys in Miami. But…”

“I know Delta cannot operate on US soil. We won’t use them there. We suspect Unit 8 has a command element set up on one of the smaller islands just outside our territorial waters. That’s where we need them.”

“We can’t give you any airlift.”

Castillo smiled. “I think we can arrange that. All I need are Moneybags and his team.”

“I think they’re actually training near McDill right now. It won’t be hard to shift them.” Hendricks let out another dry laugh. “We can even fold this in as part of their training. No one will miss a beat. The boys I mentioned earlier are there, too. It’ll be a package deal.”

“What’s the price? There’s always a price.”

“Not this time, Marty. This is coming from high up the tree. I’m to give you all the help you need within reason. They drew the line at air assets, but it sounds like you got that covered. And I didn’t figure you’d need any domestic help given what that little Task Force of yours has been able to accomplish. So that left overseas. Or at least offshore.”

“Is there anything I should know?” Castillo smiled, even though Hendricks couldn’t see it. “Off the record, of course.”

“There shouldn’t be any messy trials with this, but I guess you knew that already. These bastards like messages, right? Send ‘em a big one telling the survivors they aren’t welcome here.”

Castillo hung up without another word, knowing Stan had a recording of the entire call. They’d farm copies out to multiple places just in case there was blowback. He’d learned long ago to trust no one but his team when the stakes cleared a certain point.

Sonny knocked on the door. “Switek’s getting ready to leave. Are you good to go?”

“Yes. We’ll have our support. But we might need helicopters.”

Sonny grinned. “I’ve got some ideas about that. We’ll talk after the operation.”

Rico waited until Castillo and the others left to ask the question. “What ideas could you have about helicopters?”

“Remember those pilots we ran into back with OCB? Jimmy Cole and Jackson Crane?”

“Yeah. How I could I forget?”

“Well, Jackson’s still got issues with his record. I told him back then we could clear it for him, and this time we will. Him and Jimmy both flew lift ships in ‘Nam, and if Jackson was with the 101st there’s a chance he might have worked with SOG.”

“The guys who operated in Laos?” Rico nodded. “Yeah, I’ve heard you and Castillo talk about them. If those two cats flew that stuff, this would be nothing for them.”

“And they’ll have their own birds. We know Jackson does for sure, and I’ll bet Jimmy couldn’t stay away.”

Rico nodded. “I’ll have Mindy lump them into a records search so it don’t show if someone’s watching our traffic.” Turning toward the Intel office, he let his mind bounce between this and getting in the groove for Marcus. It had been years since he’d slipped into that skin, and there wasn’t any margin for error this time out. But he also wondered how long Sonny had been thinking of the two pilots.

Mindy smiled when he walked in. “I can’t get used to you in that street stuff.”

“Marcus don’t dig no one dissin’ his threads. Not even a hot piece of tail.” Rico grinned. “I need you lump a couple of names into the next records pull. Maybe with Sissy’s if you haven’t done it already. Jackson Crane and Jimmy Cole. They’re both pilots and should have records for smuggling and all that good shit. All we need’s last known addresses or contacts.”

“You got it.” Mindy looked him up and down and smiled again. “Maybe I could get used to Marcus, though. I’ll bet he gives a mean spanking.”

“Marcus knows how the ladies like it. You can bank on that.” Rico chuckled again and ran his hand along her shoulder. “Now I gotta go get in character. Let me know if those two hit.”

Back in the conference room he found Sonny staring at the map. “It’s almost there, Rico.”

“What is, partner?”

“How we get these bastards. It’s almost there.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m in their heads now. Or damn near. I can’t explain it. But it’s like that cat burger with the flour.”

“Yeah. I remember him. And you.”

“It’s like that, man. I know where they are now. They’re gonna have their teams spread out. Houses on the edges of Little Havana and stuff like that. Where no one will notice younger Hispanics coming and going. But this captain will want to have his finger on it all. So his safe house will be in the center of the rest. Big enough to hold his comms team and maybe one or two more. They’re trained, but this is still new turf for them. They’ll hang together in spite of their training.” Turning, he headed for the Intel office. “Look for real estate buys in the last six months within about two miles of each other. Near Little Havana. And all by shell companies. Houses cut into apartments. That kind of thing.”

Trudy looked up, and Rico saw the question in her eyes. “You got a line on something, Sonny?”

“Yeah, I think I do. But we gotta roll now.” He turned to Rico. “You ready?”

“Hell, man. Marcus was born ready. Let’s get this shit on.”

They took the Ferrari, Rico watching Sonny’s fingers rap out a beat only he could hear on the steering wheel as he drove. He knew better than to ask where his partner’s head was, and he knew his own was all over the place. Still, he felt himself settling into the raw aggression that was Marcus. And he had to admit it felt good. Not least when he thought of the light he’d seen in Mindy’s eyes when he switched it on.

He’d only tried Marcus on once, just before his brother was killed and he started the arc that landed him in Miami. So there were memories there he didn’t like poking into. But the cover had been successful beyond question, letting him take down a heist crew before they could carry out a major bank job. And he could channel those memories of his dead brother into the aggression that carried Marcus, making him even more menacing that he might be already. He smiled. Dealing with nut jobs like Unit 8 that might be an edge they’d need.

Looking over, he could see Sonny had sunk deep into Burnett. The jaw was set. The sunglasses set just so, showing nothing of his eyes. He’d seen it enough times to know the signs without any words. And now he felt Marcus coming on the same way. Taking hold of his eyes, his jaw. Even the way he sat in the Ferrari as Sonny cut in and out of traffic. He was ready.

At one time Noogie’s woman, Ample Annie, had worked behind the counter of the Hollywood Burgers truck. But after he died and the strippers at Rizzo’s gave her a beating for her part in his OD, the truck had gone downhill. Not that it ever had far to go. But the fries were always good and the burgers passable so long as you weren’t dumb enough to order rare. Without missing a beat Rico swaggered over to the window and looked around like he owned the whole beach. “Gimme one of them Rambo combos an’ make it quick. Marcus got places to go an’ people to see.”

Behind him he heard Sonny chuckle. “And I’ll take a Pretty Woman hold the ketchup. Ain’t that time of the month just yet. And make them both well done.” Then the Burnett voice kicked back in. “Keep your eyes open, Marcus. They know me but we don’t know them.”

“I hear ya.” Rico turned, leaning against the side of the truck and scanning the beach behind his mirrored shades. “Lotsa honeys out there but nothing shady.”

“Don’t forget these guys are trained. They could have four guys out there right now and we’d likely not know it.”

“Yeah, but they gonna stand out.” Rico stayed in Marcus’ voice. “You picked the only part of this beach that’s whiter than your damned Ferrari.”

They got their food and sat at one of the umbrella-shaded tables dotting the concrete around the truck. Picking a bench that wasn’t too coated with yesterday’s slopped mustard and ketchup, Rico took a bite of his burger and nodded. “Not bad.”

Sonny nodded, sampling his own. “No veggie burger for you?”

“Naw. Marcus ain’t no grazin’ fool.” But he kept his eyes moving behind the glasses. “Don’t look now but we got company. Dude comin’ up on your right. He’s gettin’ a Coke but he’s checkin’ us out. Hard.”

Sonny nodded but didn’t turn around. Instead he amplified the Burnett voice a hair. “Don’t just stand there. Have a seat and say what you came to say.”

The kid was cool. Rico had to give him that. Skinny, but with that army muscle air about him, the man slid onto the open bench seat between Rico and Sonny with his drink. “Mr. Burnett. This must be the friend you mentioned.”

Sonny nodded. “Marcus. He’s my northern route connection.”

“Fast as there is. Ain’t nothin’ moves north of Lauderdale if Marcus don’t have a hand in it.”

The Unit 8 man nodded, sipping his Coke. “Ricky Henderson is a great player. Do you wear his number because of the speed or his on-base percentage?”

Rico grinned. The kid’s got chops. “Both. Marcus is fast and gets the goods where they need to go every time. Here to New York? Marcus is your man.”

Sonny took another bite of his chicken sandwich. “So I guess blowing Carrera’s head off was your message?”

“I’m just the messenger, Mr. Burnett. Ocho sends the message.”

“Whatever. Just lay it out.”

He nodded. “Your reputation for being direct is accurate. We provide protection for certain trade routes. We keep the routes open, fend off competitors, and ensure your goods come into the country unhindered.”

“See, that’s where we don’t connect. I don’t bring goods in from outside. I only deal with them once they’re here. Problems down South aren’t my problems.” Sonny’s smile was thin. “Dipped my toe in that water once and decided it was more hassle than it was worth.”

“We have extended our service north.” The man continued without missing a beat. “I think you’ve seen what happens to those who don’t take part.”

Rico chuckled. “You mean them eight heads with no dudes attached to ‘em?”

“That was one, yes. And the foolish Columbians.”

“Did the trade a favor taking out Los Tech 9s.” Sonny finished chewing on some of the truck’s excellent fries. “Sure you don’t want something to eat? Burgers are so-so, but the fries are worth the drive.”

“I get the impression you’re not taking our message seriously.”

“Look, pal. I’ve been threatened by many people during my time in this game. And I’ve been on the side of the table you’re on now. If you blow my away, my network dies with me. And you need my network if you want to expand into South Florida. Those bozos you’ve been leaning on can’t carry half the weight I can in my sleep.”

Rico nodded. “And no Burnett, no Marcus. Which means you gotta work three times as hard to get into the northern markets. The pasta boys still got most of the trade up there, an’ you don’t want to run against them. Easier to work with someone who knows the score and the players.”

“So what’s your offer?”

“Any trade you make we get ten percent of the deal. Not street value, just what you’re payed to move.”

“And I get what in return?”

“Protection. And we can open new suppliers for your customers. High-grade product they can’t get without going through us.”

“So you’re talking ten percent of the deal, not just my commission?”

“Correct.”

Sonny shook his head. “I gotta run those numbers.”

“We understand, Mr. Burnett.”

Rico felt Marcus’ anger rise in his chest. “And just what you gonna protect us from aside from your boys? I got no one movin’ in my routes. Marcus don’t need protection from anyone in the game now.”

“Think of it as insurance. If not our people, perhaps the police learn of one of your routes. A big deal. Many things can go wrong, Mr. Jefferson.”

Rico slammed his fist on the table. “You got bigger balls than brains you think you can lean on Marcus like that!”

Sonny shook his head. “Go easy, Marcus. Man’s just doing his job. Like a good little piss boy.” He finished his fries and smiled. “Might get another order of those. Anyhow, tell your boss he’ll have his answer soon. Like I said, I got some numbers to run. But you might want to let him know we’re a package deal, and he might want to sweeten the deal a bit if he has any plans for moving north of Miami. Marcus here can open a lot of doors.”

“Or close ‘em damned tight.” Rico set his jaw. “If you get Marcus’ meaning.”

“I’ll let them know. But they are also not patient men. Don’t take too long, gentlemen. The next message might not be so impersonal.”

Sonny’s hand flashed out and grabbed a fistful of the kid’s button-up shirt. Rico saw a quick flash of fear in his eyes. “Don’t ever threaten me. I’m not some peasant you can frighten with heads. I got no problem talking business, but your people need to remember Sonny Burnett isn’t someone you can push around.”

While Sonny had been talking, Rico switched his focus to the beach around them. He could see at least two younger men detach themselves from the shadows of the concrete restroom structure, only to relax again as Sonny let the kid go. He knew Randy was out there somewhere, too, but to the sniper’s credit Rico hadn’t been able to spot him. Then he heard the Burnett voice again. “Come on, Marcus. Let’s blow this pop stand. We got numbers to run. You’ll be hearing from me, kid.”

In a nondescript van parked about a block away from the burger truck, Felix focused his entire attention on the voices coming through his headphones. Next to him, Antonio scribbled on a pad. “And you’re sure it’s Metro-Dade Narcotics?”

“Yes. The call signs match our research. It sounds like they’re conducting surveillance on Burnett. Loose and from a distance, but they’re there. Something about his Ferrari parking and the two men getting out.” Felix let his brain work through the words, translating the English into Spanish for his report later. He knew that captain would read both his and Antonio’s, looking for common points and things one or the other might have missed or just not heard.

So far it was just the chatter of men who were hot, bored, and going through motions they’d gone through hundred of times before. Like he was doing now. He almost felt a kinship with these unseen cops, knowing what it was like to peer through slatted blinds of some cheap hotel room, the sweat running down the curve of your spine and pooling in the low points. Smelling your own sweat and wishing you hadn’t had that second cup of coffee when your bladder announces it needs to be emptied. And the frustration of picking a spot that didn’t let you see exactly what the target was doing. He heard that now in their voices.

“Sounds like a two-man team talking to a base unit somewhere else.”

Felix nodded. “Si. And they can’t see the meeting, which means Hidalgo won’t be photographed. That should make the captain happy.”

“It also means they’re in a fixed location and can’t move.” Antonio scribbled more notes.

Felix shook his head. He preferred to report the facts and let the officers decide what they might mean. He’d seen what happened to men who made the wrong call. He was about to say something when two words floated through his earphones and he froze. “This is recording?”

“Of course. Why?”

“Idiot! Did you not hear that? They were saying next time Task Force could do its own work. The captain told us to listen especially for that.”

“Are you sure? They could be talking about anything.”

“No. It’s the emphasis. How they said the words.” Looking at the flickering digital counter on the big reel-to-reel machine, he scribbled numbers down. “This way the captain can check for himself. I want there to be no question.”

Antonio nodded, his head bent in concentration. “It sounds like they’re done.”

“Good. Hidalgo will take his time getting back.”

“And the Narcotics team is reporting Burnett and the other leaving in their car.”

“Keep monitoring to see if they say anything about Hidalgo.” Felix reached for the burst radio. “I want to let the captain know what we have.”

Stan’s face twisted in an evil grin. “Got you!”

Castillo turned to face him. “What?”

“Burst transmission, captain. No way to get a fix, but they’re out there and they’re listening.” He looked at his watch. “Less than three minutes after the tape mentioned Task Force.” He felt a warm glow of success in his chest. Another step for making up, at least to himself, for Dave getting shot.

Now, staring at the jumping needles and slowly turning tape, he felt like he’d regained his place. They all said Dave getting shot wasn’t his fault, even Castillo, who was the toughest man Stan had ever known. But he didn’t believe it. Not deep down.  Dave was on his team, and he was responsible for the safety of Team Elvis.

But he’d done this on his own. Gotten that tape ready. Timed the playback, pausing and advancing to match it with what was happening on the ground. And slipping the key phrase in. And they’d bitten on it. He was sure of that. Now the Task Force controlled the pace of engagement.

Where they went from here was a question he couldn’t answer. He had to trust Sonny and Castillo knew what they were doing. Castillo he trusted. Sonny….he still wasn’t sure. Not deep down. And it bothered him more than he wanted to admit.

Looking over at Lester, he signaled for his partner to start the second tape rolling. It would give Sonny and Rico cover to get clear before cutting off, simulating a surveillance box shifting with its target. At the same time he hit a button in the Roach Coach’s mobile phone system, triggering Randy’s muted pager and letting him know it was time to clear the target area. “I just gave Randy the all clear. He should be back in five to ten minutes.”

“Good.” Castillo just sat in his jump chair like a statue.

Shrugging, Stan turned back to his work. “You see anything else on the comms, Lester?”

“Naw. Just their one burst. They’re holding good radio silence. Got the usual Metro-Dade dispatch chatter, though.”

They were just finishing the second tape when someone rapped on the van’s rear doors. Hanging his headphones on a hook, Stan cracked the door with one hand on the butt of his Browning and smiled. “Bout time you showed up. You get lost on the way back?”

“Naw your mom wanted a quickie and I had to oblige.” Randy climbed in, his beach bum rig a stark contrast to his usual look. “They had at least least two guys on scene covering the meet,” he said to Stan and Castillo as he pulled off his dark glasses. “Down by the shitters. There might have been a third up on the other side of the parking lot, but I couldn’t get a closer look without tipping my hand. No sign of a command vehicle, but the target and his boys moved out in the same direction. I’d guess they had a van or something around the corner.”

“Did they spot you?”

“I doubt it, captain. As far as they were concerned I was just another drunk dude passed out in the shade of South Florida’s famous palm trees.” Randy chuckled. “They were an odd mix, though. The guy talking with Crockett and Tubbs had some tradecraft.”

“Explain.”

“The way he came on the scene. He was checking everything out without lookin’ like he was doing anything. And he settled into the one spot that would damned hard to observe from overwatch. Not that any of that would have been easy, mind. But he was aware of the risk and took countermeasures without lookin’ like he was doing it. The others? A mix. They knew their business, but weren’t too good at hiding it.”

Stan shook his head as he listened. “So you think the one was US-trained and the others maybe home-grown?”

“That or they ain’t used to that part of the job. These boys are running light, so they have to play new positions.”

“Well, I’m gonna get this coach on the move.” Stan clambered between the front seats, settling into the driver’s position with a sigh. “Get back and see what the Hardy Boys can add to what we heard.”

Lester turned. “You still calling them that?”

“Naw. Slip of the tongue is all.” And slip of the brain. Stan cranked the engine, forcing his thoughts back to today and not years ago. Crockett can grow. I gotta grow, too.

He felt a hand on his shoulder. Castillo’s voice was low, not carrying more than three feet. “He’s changed, Stan. You should give him that if you can.”

“I know, Marty. And most days I do. It’s hard sometimes, though.” Stan slid on his sunglasses and eased the big van out of the narrow alley. “Do you really think he’s changed?”

“Yes. I do. Don’t think of the money. Think of the other things he does.”

Stan nodded. The money had been part of it. It had made him think of his father buying ice cream after he’d smacked the kids around after a rough night driving the cab. More a bribe than anything else, because he’d smack them around again two nights later, saving the worst for his chubby son who wanted to be Elvis. He blinked behind the safety of his sunglasses, remembering what he’d heard about Sonny standing up in front of Maynard, trying to buy time for the rest of the team. How he’d given him his own team, letting him run it his way and at his own pace. All the little things. He nodded again. “You’re right.”

Sonny sank into one of the conference room chairs with a groan. “Kid was on edge the whole time but cool. Never saw him rattled once. Even when I grabbed a handful of his shirt. He just looked at me like I was a fly buzzing too close to his face.”

Rico nodded. “Yeah. He was one cool cat. Almost too cool.”

Castillo spoke from the head of the table. “He had two, maybe three men covering him. And Switek and Franz monitored a burst transmission shortly after the meeting. Just after the diversion tape mentioned the Task Force.”

Sonny didn’t look up. “We hooked our fish.”

“And I found those two guys you were asking about, boss.” Mindy flipped through her notes. “Jimmy Cole and Jackson Crane. They show up as co-owners of C & C Charters and have a hanger out at one of the smaller civil airfields.”

“Do they still have records?”

“Yes. But no recent arrests or anything like that.”

Sonny nodded, still not looking up. “Good. That means we have leverage if we need it. Anything on Sissy?”

“No. I have a call in to Gina’s unit, but they haven’t gotten back to me yet.”

“Why Cole and Crane?”

“Helicopters. They both have them and flew them in Nam. If you need choppers, they’re our guys. And we can scrub their records in return. Neither of ‘em were serious felons in any case. Just guys using the skills Uncle Sam gave them trying to get by.”

“I’m sure Chief Deputy Washington can get the AUSA to agree.”

“Good.” Sonny’s smile was for himself as he felt pieces falling into place in his head. “So now they think Burnett’s drawn the attention of the Task Force. That gives us another chip to play. They aren’t gonna want to do anything to him until they think they’ve drawn us into the open.” He looked up. “Stan, can you put one of those tapes together for the next meeting? I’m gonna push them into one of the old boatyards down by the canal. I’ll show you on the map so you can get the details right.”

“Sure. What else did you need with it?”

“We know they have a sniper. Probably just one given their manpower limitations. And according to the files Marty got only one or two of their guys went through US sniper training.”

Randy nodded. “Same guy who took out Victor and Carrera and wounded Dave.”

“Right. I want to give them a meet location where they’ll try for overwatch. And then I want the tape to convince them Metro-Dade has snipers somewhere within four hundred yards of the meeting. Does that sound right?”

“Yeah.” Randy scratched his chin. “Maybe a shade closer. Police snipers don’t like to work too far out, and these boys would know that.”

“Work with Stan to get that right. I want them to think there’s someone in close, maybe trying to get eyes on their guy.”

“To spot their guy?”

Sonny looked straight at Castillo, feeling his eyes go Burnett-flat. “No. To take out their guy. It’ll be a long shot, because we need to be outside their observation range. But they like messages? We can send those, too.”

Trudy cleared her throat. “Shouldn’t we try to bring him in?”

“This man has already killed at least two people in Miami, and wounded a Federal officer.” Castillo looked around the table, locking eyes with each member of the Task Force. “He is trained, well-equipped, and a clear danger. I won’t risk anyone on the team trying to bring him in.”

Randy nodded. “Best way to get a sniper aside from artillery or air strikes is another sniper. This guy’s good, but he’s not that good.”

Sonny looked at Randy. “Can you take him out from a thousand yards? Maybe more?”

“Yes.” There was no hesitation, no question in Randy’s voice. “With the captain spotting for me it’s not a problem.”

“Good. Now we gotta work overtime trying to find where these guys are sleeping. Once we take down their shooter we’re not gonna have much time.” He turned to Castillo. “When are the reinforcements gonna arrive?”

“Hendricks didn’t say. There may be a message on my phone or I’ll call him back.”

“When they get here determines when I reach out again. There’s lots of moving parts with this one, people. And we won’t have much time once things start moving.”

Castillo nodded, and Sonny could feel his intense gaze. “What’s the timeline?”

“We need to find their beds first. Once we do that, I’ll start pressing them.”

“Don’t forget the command element.” Castillo’s voice was as hard as his eyes. “I want to know where they are before we do anything. That will be the most complicated part of any operation.”

Sonny nodded. “Yeah. Why don’t Tubbs and I go pay a visit to our two pilots and see how friendly their skies are?”

They were on their way down to the garage when Rico spoke. “You really think these cats will help us?”

“I don’t know, Rico. Sounds like they’ve stayed clean since we dealt with ‘em, so that gives us something to work with.”

“You think they’ll be up to something like this?”

“Yeah, I do. They both flew combat missions in Nam, not ash and trash stuff.” Sonny chuckled. “Like I told you before, man, they’ve been there and done that.”

“Doesn’t mean they want to do it again.”

“Yeah. That’s the trick. If we can’t get them, I don’t know what we’ll do.” Unlocking the Ferrari, he climbed in and cranked the engine to life. “Guess I’ll just have to use the famous Crockett charm.”

The airfield was on the edge of swampland, right where no one would want to develop. It might have been a training field dating back to World War II, or maybe just some forgotten leftover no one cared enough about to rip up and plant tract housing on. There was a dilapidated control tower, a couple of clusters of hangers, and bare concrete pads where hangers might have once stood. Parking the Ferrari, Sonny half expected to see a few burned-out planes scattered at random like some bad war movie. It was that kind of place.

Rico got out of the car and stretched. “That looks to be their digs over there.” He pointed to a hanger with a painted sign proclaiming it the home of C & C Charters.

Sonny nodded, grinning as the breeze carried faint amplified guitar chords to his ears along with the stench of rotting vegetation to his nose. “Sounds like someone’s home, too. Should make things easier.”

• Like 2