Reflection

Robbie C.

Breaking Point probably marks my last Miami Vice story for a while. Hard to say how long at this point. I’ve got other projects I need to work on, and frankly I’m kind of burned out on Vice.

Since I started posting these in April, I’ve put up what works out to five novels and eleven short stories (12 if you count my little exploration of what could have happened to Crockett). Aside from the first story (Vengeance is Mine), all of these were written between April and now. That works out to somewhere in the neighborhood of 600,000 words or almost two thousand pages of Vice stuff. Only you, the reader, can say if it was worth it or not, but it was an interesting experience. I got to fill in some (but nowhere near all) of the blanks Vice left…the holes in its characters and the missing pieces that contributed in many ways to the show’s spotty nature. And I got to create some new characters along the way. Again, how well that went is up to the readers to decide.

Part of this adventure is getting to know the characters. The quiet power that is Castillo. Trudy’s dogged determination and dedication. The unappreciated strength and essential goodness of Stan. Rico’s passion and feelings of longing and loss. And the many weaknesses and strengths of Sonny. Not to mention the unexplored potential depth of Noogie. And also to know how many of their stories remain to be told. One nice thing about writing is it’s all about the characters and not what color of blazer they’re wearing in one season or another. The style conceits of Vice don’t matter when you’re working with words.

So after that many words, that many pages, I’m taking a break from it. Hopefully some of you enjoyed it, and if not maybe it will motivate you to put some of your stuff out there. Don’t like my picture of Crockett? Try drawing your own. And if you did like it, maybe it will help you add in your own touches and give you something to work with if you try to go down the writing route.

It’s been fun, and maybe it’ll be fun again in the future. But it’s time to take a break now. For those of you who read, thanks for reading. And a special thanks to those who took the time to comment. It’s not a cover song or blazer shot or hairdo, but this stuff takes work, too. It’s nice to know when it’s appreciated.

• Like 3

You gave us the chance to see our favorite characters in action again. And you added some new ones that were worthy to be considered part of the Miami Vice crew! Thank you for sharing your talent with us. I, for one am very grateful!

• Thanks 1