Anyone have a physical music collection?

Miami Wayfarer

Alright so, I’ve started buying vinyl and damn it’s addictive so far. Since making the thread I’ve bought my turntable and like 14 albums. I have the 1st Miami vice soundtrack on the way.  Looks like the 2nd and 3rd soundtracks I’ll need to find on eBay. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I have a little bit of everything. I probably have around 100 LPs, 100 CDs, maybe 15 cassettes, 50 45’s, etc. I have a lot of music on my iTunes, though.

I may sound like a scumbag (LOL), but I mainly collect LPs just for the collectible-ness and vintage-ness. I do spin them from time to time, but I frankly do believe CDs or high quality digital rips sound better. Vinyl actually has less sound frequency, but it still sounds very nice.

Personally, my favorite music form to collect is 45’s, especially with picture sleeves! I love the individual artwork and love singles. There’s something special about a single release for a great song.

As for the cassettes, I think they sound actually very decent too. My Jeep has a cassette player and I’ve picked up some cassettes from thrift shops here and there. Cassettes have a nice warm sound.

Edited by AndrewRemington

4 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

I have a little bit of everything. I probably have around 100 LPs, 100 CDs, maybe 15 cassettes, 50 45’s, etc. I have a lot of music on my iTunes, though.

I may sound like a scumbag (LOL), but I mainly collect LPs just for the collectible-ness and vintage-ness. I do spin them from time to time, but I frankly do believe CDs or high quality digital rips sound better. Vinyl actually has less sound frequency, but it still sounds very nice.

Personally, my favorite music form to collect is 45’s, especially with picture sleeves! I love the individual artwork and love singles. There’s something special about a single release for a great song.

As for the cassettes, I think they sound actually very decent too. My Jeep has a cassette player and I’ve picked up some cassettes from thrift shops here and there. Cassettes have a nice warm sound.

Album cover artwork is something of interest to me too.  That, and concert poster artwork.  I have a few books on the topic, including one of just reggae album covers.  I have another about the psychedelic imagery that started with the concert posters of the San Francisco sound in the 60’s.  The large format of LP’s was the heyday of the form, I think.  

Edited by pahonu

Probably have about 500 cd's between my wife and I.  Maybe 100 songs digital (still not my thing).  My dad has a huge vinyl collection from his time as a radio dj in the 70s.  In regards to album artwork, I've bought several albums over the years based on how cool the cover looked.  Some have been great, others not so much.  Iron Maiden's "Somewhere In Time" was bought based on the cover.  With everything digital these days, and a song/album being nothing more than a small thumbnail pic on a mobile device, the thrill of finding a new band based on cool artwork is gone.  This makes me sound really old!

• 8 months later...

I have about 300 vinyl albums since I started in 1957. I'm very careful with them  & they have few pops, but I've been collecting CDs since they take up a lot less space & the quality is much better! 

P.S. I agree Mr. Vigilante..........I like the artwork on the albums!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Still have hundreds of CDs and albums, including all MV music on physical. Most of it is already in digital format too.

• Like 1

I can't wait to get back out there to small town antique shops and indoor flea markets to get some more added to my LP collection.  The pandemic put a stop to hunting but hopefully this summer is different.  Thumbing through boxes of records is heaven.

20200404_154816.jpg

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

I collect a lot of physical media. Since vinyl takes up a lot of space I reserved it only for the albums I truly value as a whole - mostly punk (hardcore), grindcore and metal records 90 % of which date back to the 80s. As a rule I try to buy only first pressing since it is much more likely to keep increasing in value. I actually have made a list of what records to buy and I try to go through it record by record.

If I enjoy something, but not to the extent of the above I usually go with the cassette (reminds me of childhood and so I can play it in my car) or CD (quite rarely) .

It is the VHS collecting I have a hard time justifying even to myself, let alone others. But i guess those sweet childhood nostalgic feelings still hold sway over me. I buy lots of horror movies, especially Italian. What is really surprising is that most of those 30 or 40 year old video tapes still look from good to excellent. Guess this talk about them invariably going blank over time was just a sales pitch to get people to switch over to DVD.

Edited by Viceguy
  • Like 3

My collecting of vinyl has really slowed down.  I was collecting when vinyl was cheap but now that it is en vogue again, you can't really justify the prices people are asking these days.  I used to be able to get any used album for <$3 but most places ask $15+ these days.  For me, vinyl brings back a lot of memories of childhood because I remember being fascinated with album art as I went through my parents' collection.  It still attracts me to this day and I will buy a cheap album more for the cover art than the content.

This was the first album I obtained when I was a child and I still have it to this day:

FeverLP.jpg

Edited by IA-SteveB