Very interesting new Michael Mann project

S.FL84

I saw that too, just a couple of days ago.  Putting aside the fact that I haven't read the book, and that I know it's been a long while since Mann has returned to his art, I'm not enthusiastic about this project being successful.

Michael never directs or writes these series.  He's does aggressive exec producer stuff, pushing to get his (arguably superb) visions and demands applied to the show,… and most studios back in the 1980's would fight him relentlessly on the things he wanted done.  I think that's why Mann seems to drive the series for a little less than two seasons, then moves on to other ideas and other projects.  If Universal hadn't been so counter and stodgy about the good storytelling methods he was pushing for in tv shows, Miami Vice could have kept its personality after Mann left (and maybe Mann wouldn't have left so early at all).

Now years after THAT kind of mentality from Universal Studio, can HBO be any different from how Universal was in the 80's?  If Tokyo Vice is planned to be a 10-episode miniseries as things are saying, and it's filmed over time instead of doing the whole filming in one big process, the studio has more time to bump heads with Mann about the things he wants, and Mann might walk after overseeing four episodes, and the show goes from bright to poorly-handled in the course of the miniseries.  

I don't know.  I may be just jaded from learning more and more about how the studio goings-on behind these shows, ends up hurting the really good technicians and their really good creations.;(

Edited by Augusta

I honestly don't remember a single show in the last decade that I've invested any time into that was on anything but premium channels, be it HBO/Netflix, etc.  I think HBO might be a great place for Mann, at least I hope.