Re-makes that would kill you

Shill

Sooner or later they will make your favourite film for a new generation, but it could upset you!Mine would be "The Breakfast Club" - it's just a matter of time before it's remade :cry:What's yours?

Yeah, cast with all those vapid Gossip Girl-type actors. Yuck.Frankly, I'm always nervous about the alleged "reboot" of the Fletch franchise they keep talking about. I love the books and love the original film, and I'd see the new one regardless. But it was Chevy's finest hour on film and I'm not sure who could top it.How about the Matthew McConaughey version of Magnum? Barf.

• Administrators

Some things in life should just be left alone. Remaking classic movies with new actors is one of them.Just look at the flop the MV movie was.

Not trying to hijack your thread, Shill, but your question (great thread title, btw) stirred up something I hadn't thought about in a while.One of my favorite guilty pleasure flicks is Blame it on Rio. The first time I saw it 20-plus years ago, sure the big draw was the hot naked chick. But I've watched it repeatedly over the last two decades and get a kick out of it. And it's movie they could never make today! It's virtually re-make proof! (Unless they switched genders of the leads I suppose, since it'll always be in fashion for cougars to go after younger guys.)

One I've always wondered about is a remake of M*A*S*H. With the enduring popularity of the TV series, it's not hard to imagine. And every time I think about the results, I cringe; I can almost guarantee you it would be a straight-up gross-out comedy. The original 1970 film had crass humor, sure, but it was also very clever (genuinely smart AND funny). A modern remake would be a travesty, IMO.Another one, a film I've mentioned loving a few times on here, is Fritz Lang's 1927 Metropolis. I can just see Hollywood producing some overblown, effects-laden mess of an interpretation.As far as remakes go, one of my favorite films, 1978's Parts: The Clonus Horror, was remade as The Island. Since Parts isn't especially well-known (outside of us MSTies), frankly nothing surprises me anymore.On the flip-side, if anyone has ever seen 1986's Zone Troopers (a movie I love to death), I'd kind of like to see a remake. Not that it would be good (it wouldn't), but a remake would surely mean a DVD release of the original film.

Shill, I completely agree with you about The Breakfast Club. This is one of my all-time favorites, and it should be left alone. I'm so nostalgic for it, I haven't even bought it on DVD because it's just not the same as watching my VHS that my friends and I watched countless times in high school (this movie came out before I was that age, but I first saw it and bought it during my high school years). Eventually I'll get the DVD, but until then, my VHS just feels more like the original.Other movies similar to this one that shouldn't be re-done: Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off (all John Hughes movies, I know), and Top Gun (this one's just so 80's-cool the way it is).

Well guys, I hate to lay this on you, but there have been talks of a updated remake of the Breakfast club, with an urban slant to it. Im not real sure about the details and whatnot, but that idea has been flaoting around for awhile now. I think at one point Beyoncee was going to be in it.I am so sick of remakes, one thing that has me heated latly is the remake of Johnny quest, with the Rock as Race Bannon and one of those High School Musical toolbags as johnny. I am violently opposed to that, as Johnny Quest is my fave show next to MV...........trey

Manhunter..Of CoursePetersen and Farina would have to be in it.Would be hard to find someone as creepy as Tom Noonan.

Nobody But Chevy Chase

Yeah' date=' cast with all those vapid Gossip Girl-type actors. Yuck.Frankly, I'm always nervous about the alleged "reboot" of the Fletch franchise they keep talking about. I love the books and love the original film, and I'd see the new one regardless. But it was Chevy's finest hour on film and I'm not sure who could top it.How about the Matthew McConaughey version of Magnum? Barf.[/quote']...could play Fletch.

• 2 weeks later...

I read that there are plans to remake The Warriors, also The Three Stooges is being remade with (I am not kidding you) Sean Penn, Jim Carrey and Benicio Del Toro.P.S. Glad to see you here, Maynard!

The Warriors was such a classic comic book gang movie, they could never put together a film like the original, and if they tried to remake it today with modern style gangs it would suck so bad a black hole would develop. They already made some that gave me palpitations, most notably the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory remake of Willy Wonka..... I like Johnny Depp but his Wonka was completely creepy and the supporting actors were terrible compared to the original. I think there are a number of movies that are seminal entertainment for me, and remade may not cause fatality but would at least make me deathly ill.......... Like: TOMBSTONE - NEVER will they get that kind of excellent casting and/or chemistry!! BUTCH CASSIDY & THE SUNDANCE KID - Talk about spectacular chemistry!!!ANIMAL HOUSE - How could you possibly improve on perfection. There'll never be another John Belushi!! And of course they've trashed some great classic series tv by doing movies about them, like The Dukes of Hazard, Starsky and Hutch and especially Scooby Doo!!!!!.......But the WORST, at least IMHO...... was Miami Vice!!! No class, no chemistry, no humor or cleverness...... it was depressing!!!

Speaking of Johnny Depp, Tim Burton is remaking Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins, which makes me want to never watch a Depp film again.

That's ridiculous! I guess after "Sweeney Todd" they think he's creepy enough, but Barnabas would need to be played by someone creepy with a strong deep voice and sharper features, like maybe Alan Rickman or Christian Bale.

Now that they've screwed up everything else (some in advance, Magnum, P.I. with Matthew McCoughnahey?!) I hope they don't start doing rediculous updates of Mickey Spillane's work. If Hollywood touches I, the Jury, there will be hell to pay!

I would hate to see Hollywood try to remake "Scarface". I just have a feeling that it will only be a matter of time.The "Magnum, P.I." movie would be fine with me if it was the same cast set in modern times. I am fairly confident a remake of "Magnum, P.I." might be like "Starsky and Hutch" and be beyond terrible.

I Totally agree. about Manhunter

Petersen and Farina would have to be in it.Would be hard to find someone as creepy as Tom Noonan.

Too Late! Wasn't Red Dragon a remake of Manhunter? I saw it once and the plot sure seemed like Man hunter. I think that Edward Norton guy was in it. At any rate it wasn't nearly as good as Manhunter.I also agree about Magnum. If it isn't going to be made right - Don't do it! If we go outside of the 80's I cringe about them remaking the old Hollwood glamour day movies, and the great ganster films of Warner Brothers. Although Scarface was originally supposed to be like the original but transported to 80's Florida. Thank goodness they modified that idea some! Lay off any Cagney, Bogart or Edward G Robinson Gangster movie Now days would be too violent and crude!

I would hate to see Hollywood try to remake "Scarface". I just have a feeling that it will only be a matter of time.
Actually, there has been multiple attempts at a film where Scarface's wife Elvira gave birth to Scarface's son, he would become a kingpin in modern day times. So it almost happened, so it might still happen if they get enough backing, and destroy the legacy even more, just like the rappers did.

• Administrators

Too Late! Wasn't Red Dragon a remake of Manhunter? I saw it once and the plot sure seemed like Man hunter. I think that Edward Norton guy was in it. At any rate it wasn't nearly as good as Manhunter...

Yes the plot and lines were almost identical. More was added to Red Dragon because of Anthony Hopkins being Lecter, which is why it was remade to begin with.

Too Late! Wasn't Red Dragon a remake of Manhunter? I saw it once and the plot sure seemed like Man hunter. I think that Edward Norton guy was in it. At any rate it wasn't nearly as good as Manhunter.I also agree about Magnum. If it isn't going to be made right - Don't do it! If we go outside of the 80's I cringe about them remaking the old Hollwood glamour day movies' date=' and the great ganster films of Warner Brothers. Although Scarface was originally supposed to be like the original but transported to 80's Florida. Thank goodness they modified that idea some! Lay off any Cagney, Bogart or Edward G Robinson Gangster movie Now days would be too violent and crude![/quote']It was horrible when they tried to recreate the scene where Hannibal rigs the phone to call Bloom's office from his prison cell. In Manhunter, he made this believable.In Red Dragon with the newer phones, it was a joke.Best Manhunter Quote: Will Graham to Hannibal,"I now you are smarter than me, but you have one disadvantage."Hannibal,"What's that?"Graham,"You are insane."