Started as a joke... turned into obsession!

Rossbrodie

Hi team

This is my first post here. I have really enjoyed reading over the posts so far about Vice fashion and really appreciate your passion and detail!

For our Christmas party we had an 80s theme. I done;t know why i went Vice... i had never seen the show (only the movie remake!), so it was mind blowing to discover on Youtube the amazing fashion. 

This is my first outfit. Its a Pierre Cardin Linen jacket off Ebay for £2.72. A summer Henley Neck slim fit pink t-shirt for £7.99; a pair of 90's Marks & spencer linen trousers and a pair of pretty cheap white canvas espadrille sale shoes. I'll post pics of them later.  Sunglasses are pretty modern, Oakley catalysts. 

I grew my hair for a bout four weeks in preparation for the party and had it minimally clipped and blowed dried by a hairdresser only an hour before the party. 

I was the only person who turned up dressed 80s, but i knew i'd succeeded because i over heard a guy at the bar say aloud: "its Miami Vice" 

ca98cb7b-b12f-40bc-80ee-8ccea3eb905b.thumb.JPG.f87cf09b7613e461fe8777ac114dbf5b.JPG

• Like 8

Nailed it. Hard. Should definitely pick up a pair of wayfarer knockoffs at some point though. :D You actually kind of have an Evan vibe going on. 

I highly suggest checking out the series. I only just got back into it after not having seen it since I was a kid (back in the 80's) and It's aged pretty well-mostly due to its art direction, cinematography and music/story interweavement. It exists in its own universe. You can watch episodes free over on NBC but I highly suggest getting it on Blu Ray if you're able. NBC's versions have audio/video/streaming issues here and there. You can actually pick up the series on Blu Ray for under $50. The 2007 white box special collectors edition is a lot nicer-the box has this great faux alligator skin covering and seafoam green interior-but it can be kind of hard to come by and is twice the price of the regular DVD sets. 

Edited by zidders

Well done.  I'm not understanding why people wouldn't dress for the period at a 1980's theme party.  That is so much fun.

I can be seen in Sonny Crockett attire quite often in the summer months in an Iowa lake town.  I get plenty of comments.  :)

Edited by IA-SteveB

By the way, don't ask me how many unstructured blazers and pairs of linen pants I now own.  It wasn't embarrassing until I looked through my extra closet in the spare bedroom.  lol

• Haha 1

Well, after i found out Jan Hammer uses the Dadrian´s nick here...

After i found out  the blue guy from "The Prodigal Son" joined the forum..

Now, Conan O´Brien joined the forum!

Welcome RossBrodie!  :)

• Haha 2

On 2/24/2020 at 9:39 PM, Rossbrodie said:

Hi team

This is my first post here. I have really enjoyed reading over the posts so far about Vice fashion and really appreciate your passion and detail!

For our Christmas party we had an 80s theme. I done;t know why i went Vice... i had never seen the show (only the movie remake!), so it was mind blowing to discover on Youtube the amazing fashion. 

This is my first outfit. Its a Pierre Cardin Linen jacket off Ebay for £2.72. A summer Henley Neck slim fit pink t-shirt for £7.99; a pair of 90's Marks & spencer linen trousers and a pair of pretty cheap white canvas espadrille sale shoes. I'll post pics of them later.  Sunglasses are pretty modern, Oakley catalysts. 

I grew my hair for a bout four weeks in preparation for the party and had it minimally clipped and blowed dried by a hairdresser only an hour before the party. 

Well if it’s in you, let it out. Now you took a licking you‘ll keep ticking...

So, welcome to our pastel-colored universe, where the vibe lives on and everything is seen through Bausch & Lomb G15 lenses. It’s an incredible place with incredible people. You’ll find answers to all your Vice related questions, including the ones you’d never have thought to ask...Looking forward to seeing you around.

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Have fun with it.  Realize that most people who snicker are the same ones that wish they could pull off the look.  Don't try too hard to be Sonny because, well, no one can.  Make it your own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IA-SteveB said:

Have fun with it.  Realize that most people who snicker are the same ones that wish they could pull off the look.  Don't try too hard to be Sonny because, well, no one can.  Make it your own.

Agree on both points. 80s fashion is actually quite versatile. The blazers and pastel shirts actually work quite well with jeans (sort of a season 4-5 look) and give you a lot of choices that work in cooler climes. Tubbs' look is a bit harder to pull off, but it also has a timeless quality about it in many cases. And when in doubt, get the off-the-rack black suit and go as Castillo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/14/2020 at 12:34 PM, Robbie C. said:

Agree on both points. 80s fashion is actually quite versatile. The blazers and pastel shirts actually work quite well with jeans (sort of a season 4-5 look) and give you a lot of choices that work in cooler climes. Tubbs' look is a bit harder to pull off, but it also has a timeless quality about it in many cases. And when in doubt, get the off-the-rack black suit and go as Castillo.

Yeah, I can pull off Crockett's season 5 look.  I've got the leather jacket, jeans of course, and my hair is about the same style/length.  Tubbs' season 5 look....no idea where to start!  He looked like a matador in several episodes.  Regarding Castillo's look....what about his ties?  Aren't they some special leather necktie??

thanks for the tips, just finished season 1

favourite outfit: crockets set up in smugglers blues, that linen blue jacket is so useful

need to know: what tint should the wayfarer lens be? i'm gonna get tortoise shell, but is it green or grey lens? 

thanks 

48 minutes ago, Rossbrodie said:

thanks for the tips, just finished season 1

favourite outfit: crockets set up in smugglers blues, that linen blue jacket is so useful

need to know: what tint should the wayfarer lens be? i'm gonna get tortoise shell, but is it green or grey lens? 

thanks 

G15 lenses (kinda greenish)

• Like 1