RIP Mark Blum

RedDragon86

Starred in "Contempt of Court" as Frank Mosca's lawyer Sid Shenker, sadly died from COVID-19 complications at the age of 69. RIP :(

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 3
  • Sad 5

RIP. He played his part so well.

I sincerely hope and pray he is our one and only COVID-19 casualty for MV alumni. ;(

• Like 3

This is really sad as even if he played a genuine alpha hotel on Vice, he was a very sympathetic guy. May god bless his soul.

Let's hope his passing will create awareness that COVID-19 should be taken serious. It also took a few dead celebs in the eighties for that to occur with HIV. 

Even if for the majority of infected people, COVID 19 seems to cause fewer complications than a normal flu, the fatality rate has not yet been determined.

We seem to have accepted annual Influenza epedemics as a normal part of life, however the death burden is 250.000 - 650.000 per year worldwide and there are 3-5 million severe cases.  About 20% of unvaccinated children and 10% of unvaccinated adults are infected each year, with a mortality rate at around 0.8% in symptomatic cases.

The case mortality rate for COVID-19 is heavily fluctuating across countries, with over 10% in Italy, where they have a huge friggin' problem, and 0.4% in other countries. It has overall decreased significantly over the course of the outbreak as care standards have evolved since the beginning. However it can take between two to eight weeks for people to go from first symptoms to death, so it's not yet fully clear what's going to happen.

This means that if no adequate measures are taken and COVID becomes as widespread as the flu (38-50M estimated flu infections in the US so far this season vs. 85K positive COVID infections) there is a risk that the death toll of COVID could eventually go into the millions. If it actually would I think no one can tell at this point. But it's not a risk most governments want to take.

What's more worrying to me is that this virus seems to be resistant to temperature changes and according to latest studies can survive airborne for an extended period of time. So while the flu is seasonal, this thing has the potential to bug us perpetually.

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 1

vor 12 Minuten schrieb daytona365:

This is really sad as even if he played a genuine alpha hotel on Vice, he was a very sympathetic guy. May god bless his soul.

Let's hope his passing will create awareness that COVID-19 should be taken serious. It also took a few dead celebs in the eighties to do the same for HIV. 

Even if for the majority of infected people, COVID 19 seems to cause fewer complications than a normal flu, the fatality rate has not yet been determined.

We seem to have accepted annual Influenza epedemics as a normal part of life, however the death burden is 250.000 - 650.000 per year worldwide and there are 3-5 million severe cases.  About 20% of unvaccinated children and 10% of unvaccinated adults are infected each year, with a mortality rate at around 0.8% in symptomatic cases.

The case mortality rate for COVID-19 is heavily fluctuating across countries, with over 10% in Italy, where they have a huge friggin' problem, and 0.4% in the US. It has overall decreased significantly over the course of the outbreak as care standards have evolved since the beginning. However it can take between two to eight weeks for people to go from first symptoms to death, so it's not yet fully clear what's going to happen.

This means that if no adequate measures are taken, there is a risk that the death toll of COVID could eventually go into the millions. If it actually would I think no one can tell at this point. But it's not a risk most governments want to take.

What's more worrying to me is that this virus seems to be resistant to temperature changes and according to latest studies can survive airborne for an extended period of time. So while the flu is seasonal, this thing has the potential to bug us perpetually.

The US currently is testing around 10 times less compared to total population than other nations that’s why death toll (deaths divided by diagnosed) seems so low. 
Don’t get me wrong I hope it’s not gonna end up like in Italy but don’t get yourself fooled with these numbers as long as tests are not done at around 250/100.000 people (that’s the average of some European countries), that would be 800k Tests for the US per day!

1 hour ago, Tom said:

The US currently is testing around 10 times less compared to total population than other nations that’s why death toll (deaths divided by diagnosed) seems so low. 
Don’t get me wrong I hope it’s not gonna end up like in Italy but don’t get yourself fooled with these numbers as long as tests are not done at around 250/100.000 people (that’s the average of some European countries), that would be 800k Tests for the US per day!

yes, and that only emphasizes the magnitude of the risk. The fatality rate in the US is currently at around 1.5% of the 85K reported cases, which almost doubles the one of Influenza. The question is, will more testing bring down the fatality rate or will it stick at this level in the long term? Only time will tell.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-us-now-leads-the-world-in-confirmed-coronavirus-cases/ar-BB11LlDh?ocid=spartandhp

Here in Switzerland where I live, all numbers are still steadily increasing after 10 days of lockdown and increased testing efforts. And as long that's the case, I'm inclined to stay on the safe side. Denial is what's brought Italy and Spain where they are now. Their high death numbers are because their health systems can no longer cope with the huge number of cases.

Being caved in at home is starting to become boring as hell after two weeks, but I also don't wanna find myself in the situation where I'm hauled to an ER after an accident or whatever, only to be informed I have to die because they're fully booked.

Edited by daytona365

• Administrators
4 hours ago, daytona365 said:

Just a few more facts from our minister of health.  The virus can survive only a few hours on surfaces such as plastic. Recommendations are to wipe down the surface of anything you buy at the supermarket whether it be plastic, cardboard or whatever. Simple soap and water kills it, no need for harsh chemicals. As far as it remaining airborn, several viewers asked about a person sneezing. The expert said the virus droplets of a sneeze are very heavy and drop almost immediately. So you're not going to walk into a cloud of it unless you're face to face with someone. 

and that being said, let's get back to our regular topic here

"Desperately Seeking Susan",  "Crocodile Dundee" and of course "Miami Vice"  These are the things I remember Mark for.

R.I.P.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

"Desperately Seeking Susan",  "Crocodile Dundee" and of course "Miami Vice"  These are the things I remember Mark for.

He was also Bruce Willis’ obnoxious co-worker in Blind Date. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Just a few more facts from our minister of health.  The virus can survive only a few hours on surfaces such as plastic. Recommendations are to wipe down the surface of anything you buy at the supermarket whether it be plastic, cardboard or whatever. Simple soap and water kills it, no need for harsh chemicals. As far as it remaining airborn, several viewers asked about a person sneezing. The expert said the virus droplets of a sneeze are very heavy and drop almost immediately. So you're not going to walk into a cloud of it unless you're face to face with someone. 

and that being said, let's get back to our regular topic here

"Desperately Seeking Susan",  "Crocodile Dundee" and of course "Miami Vice"  These are the things I remember Mark for.

R.I.P.

Thanks, I was trying to remember where else I recognized him from.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

He was also Bruce Willis’ obnoxious co-worker in Blind Date. 

"Blind Date" is one of my favorite comedies. Don't know how I missed that one!  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Ferrariman said:

"Blind Date" is one of my favorite comedies. Don't know how I missed that one!  Thanks!

Mine too! You’re welcome. My first car was a 300zx like the one Bruce drives in the movie. I also love the Stanley Jordan studio visit. It’s just a great feel-good movie start to finish. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Mine too! You’re welcome. My first car was a 300zx like the one Bruce drives in the movie. I also love the Stanley Jordan studio visit. It’s just a great feel-good movie start to finish. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

As a fan of Jazz I recognized Stanley Jordan right away.   I heard he was a street performer when he was discovered.  Amazing the way he plays the guitar. Sounds like 2 players instead of one!

• Like 1