Did Crockett stop smoking ?

Orson-Fader

And Crockett did not smoking in season 4 and 5!

As far as I know, Crockett (and DJ) stopped smoking, because the youth should not be tempted to smoke by his example.

Edited by Glades

• Administrators

Don't remember exactly when he quit but I do remember Crockett telling Milton Glanz that he gave it up in "Death and the Lady"

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Probably to do with his reinvented character after 2.

Glades' answer is closer to the mark from what I recall. There was a great deal of pressure to cut back on smoking on television, and Vice was targeted because of its popularity and the fact that Crockett was smoking filterless cigarettes. Orson-Fader's linked blog entry is also a good overview. The author notes this started popping up as early as Nobody Lives Forever, so late in Season 1.

• Administrators

Didn’t DJ do a commercial back then when he was I thought shirtless and in a gym or something like that sitting on a bench and he says something like “you know why I quit smoking, because it’s good for you.” 

Maybe I dreamed that?

On 8/24/2017 at 9:57 PM, Detective_Crockett said:

One Way Ticket was the last time you see him smoking,  the phone call scene to be precise.

On 8/24/2017 at 11:08 PM, Dadrian said:

It took him from One Eyed Jack all the way to One Way Ticket to "give [those] things up". :) 

I’d forgotten this. 

Smoking also began to play hell with his voice and began to noticeably age him imo. Luckily he stopped before it went too far. Those are things that have to be considered for the star of a show.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Old thread I know but this came up on a Facebook page. No one knew the exact point at which Crockett smoked. If this was answered before ignore me lol. In “Trust Fund Pirates”, there’s a scene where they go to the club with Lani Mueller. She lights up & Tubbs takes the cigarette and puts it out in an ashtray. They cut to a shot with Crockett staring at the cigarette.  The look on his face made me think  he was working on quitting. That’s the episode I always think of when pointing to Crockett give up the cigs. 

1 hour ago, Noggie said:

Old thread I know but this came up on a Facebook page. No one knew the exact point at which Crockett smoked. If this was answered before ignore me lol. In “Trust Fund Pirates”, there’s a scene where they go to the club with Lani Mueller. She lights up & Tubbs takes the cigarette and puts it out in an ashtray. They cut to a shot with Crockett staring at the cigarette.  The look on his face made me think  he was working on quitting. That’s the episode I always think of when pointing to Crockett give up the cigs. 

We last see him smoking in “One Way Ticket”. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

I also remember the scene in “Death and the Lady” where Crockett says to Milton Glanz “nope, gave it up” referring to smoking.  Well past “One Way Ticket” but it’s just a scene I remember.

• Like 2

I think “Trust Fund Pirates” is the first time they acknowledged that he’d quit.   My teenage memories are that I noticed he had smoked in a few episodes. Since “One Way Ticket”.  “Trust Fund Pirates” just kind of confirmed he’d quit. 

• Like 1

Controversial of me to say this, but I think Crockett smoking, and smoking in general, looks really cool when done on screen. Crockett looked so stylish doing it. I don't smoke but on occasion, I know there is no safe amount but I'm aware and accept the risk. There is something really cool about it in all honesty.

• Like 3

• Ferrariman changed the title to Did Crockett stop smoking ?
9 hours ago, BunMVO said:

Controversial of me to say this, but I think Crockett smoking, and smoking in general, looks really cool when done on screen. Crockett looked so stylish doing it. I don't smoke but on occasion, I know there is no safe amount but I'm aware and accept the risk. There is something really cool about it in all honesty.

I'm maybe one of the older people here, but I agree--it looks cool and always has (onscreen at least).  There was a mystique about smoking, and the way the smoke curled around the character's head, as well as the body language of striking the match/ getting the zippo lighter out and flicking it, getting the cigarette going, and blowing the smoke in various ways.  Sometimes the actions of smoking could even take the place of words.

I think DJ did manage to come up with some other characterization moves and body language once Crockett stopped smoking, but it did take away something undefinable from the character.

However I have to say that COPD, smoker's cough, repeated episodes of pneumonia, and lung cancer take away the coolness.  The risks aren't worth it.  It's too bad because there is something in what you say. 

• Like 5

I’m an old movie buff & it’s amazing to see how often people smoked. A man meets a woman & it’s automatic he offers her a cigarette.  On some characters, detectives are always good, smoking looks cool. 

IMG_3029.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vicegirl85 said:

I'm maybe one of the older people here, but I agree--it looks cool and always has (onscreen at least).  There was a mystique about smoking, and the way the smoke curled around the character's head, as well as the body language of striking the match/ getting the zippo lighter out and flicking it, getting the cigarette going, and blowing the smoke in various ways.  Sometimes the actions of smoking could even take the place of words.

I think DJ did manage to come up with some other characterization moves and body language once Crockett stopped smoking, but it did take away something undefinable from the character.

However I have to say that COPD, smoker's cough, repeated episodes of pneumonia, and lung cancer take away the coolness.  The risks aren't worth it.  It's too bad because there is something in what you say. 

Good point! I think it's cool and seductive on screen in the same way that violence and gunfights are the same way glorified. Contrast that with people these days sucking on a plastic vape, it just looks stupid, and it probably has consequences we don't even know about yet. 

My grandfather died of a lung disease probably connected with smoking when I was only six years old. It really does ruin health and beauty. However, I don't have an issue with it being on screen because you could mirror the same argument with any immoral or unhealthy act depicted, like cocaine (which also frankly looks cool), promiscuity, gun violence, and so on. I don't know that it was necessary to remove it from the show to stop people from picking up the habit to look like Crockett. It did take away a part of Crockett's 'edgy' character and cowboy-ish persona.

It reminds me of the moral panic of video games like GTA where concerned parents thought that kids would turn into violent lunatics going on crime sprees if they played the video games. Smoking cigarettes these days, for the better, is prohibitively expensive for most, very inconvenient and has actually become quite taboo and stigmatized. It's an interesting topic though that hasn't been explored that much on this forum though for sure.

• Like 3

On 12/14/2023 at 8:20 AM, BunMVO said:

Good point! I think it's cool and seductive on screen in the same way that violence and gunfights are the same way glorified. Contrast that with people these days sucking on a plastic vape, it just looks stupid, and it probably has consequences we don't even know about yet. 

My grandfather died of a lung disease probably connected with smoking when I was only six years old. It really does ruin health and beauty. However, I don't have an issue with it being on screen because you could mirror the same argument with any immoral or unhealthy act depicted, like cocaine (which also frankly looks cool), promiscuity, gun violence, and so on. I don't know that it was necessary to remove it from the show to stop people from picking up the habit to look like Crockett. It did take away a part of Crockett's 'edgy' character and cowboy-ish persona.

It reminds me of the moral panic of video games like GTA where concerned parents thought that kids would turn into violent lunatics going on crime sprees if they played the video games. Smoking cigarettes these days, for the better, is prohibitively expensive for most, very inconvenient and has actually become quite taboo and stigmatized. It's an interesting topic though that hasn't been explored that much on this forum though for sure.

Yep, smoking breaks down collagen.

One of the reasons I don't smoke and I try to avoid second hand smoke as well.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BunMVO said:

But now they've started smoking legal pot (with all its many side effects) and vaping, so it's just exchanging one vice for a couple of new ones. Smoking also had some interesting social impacts people forget about (or know nothing about given the way the smart phone has replaced just about everything else). It used to be possible to start a conversation by asking for a light or something similar. I'm a pipe smoker, and often get comments about how good the tobacco smells. Of course I also remember the days when walking around appearing to talk to yourself was a sign of lunacy, while now it's just "hands free...":p

• Like 2

There are lots of social behaviors from the past that can seem cool or even seductive if we view them through a nostalgic lens.  I’m a big fan of film noir and smoking is both ubiquitous, as it really was in that era, and made for stunning visuals with the willowy smoke.  Those things don’t change the reality that many of these behaviors are known to be unhealthy or considered morally unacceptable today.  

I’m thinking of the suave James Bond of Sean Connery giving a young woman a smack on the butt to move her along, or some of the smoke-filled scenes involving Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity, among others.  The almost cliched lighting of two cigarettes by a man, one for the woman does seem objectively cool, but it doesn’t change the reality of the consequences of a lifetime of smoking.  Enjoying the entertainment value of past films doesn’t need to require defending such behavior today.

Edit:

I wanted to add that my wife and I have joked repeatedly over the years, about the ubiquity of home bars in 60’s and 70’s television and even earlier for movies.  It seemed like everyone arriving home from wherever, would walk over to a home bar and get ice from an ice bucket (who filled it?) and mix a stiff drink for themselves and whoever else was in the scene.  This wasn’t likely realistic but it did seem cool, and provided something for the characters to do in scenes that might be highly expository.

That said, when we bought our townhouse on a marina in 1999, we marveled at some of its details.  It was built in the early 70’s and included a wet bar with built in blender in the counter, so cocktails were popular.  The remarkable detail is that all units, from three bedrooms to studios had a wet bar!  Think about that.  A unit that didn’t even have a bedroom, still had a wet bar with built in blender!!!  

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of the addiction, I think it's more in circumstantial associations rather then the biochemical pathways. It's always something like... a rainy day? Great to stand under a cover and smoke a cigarette watching the rain go down... Winter? A cigarette while you're brushing the snow off your heating up car... Cup of coffee? Better enjoyed with a cigarette... Alcohol? Well obviously... Exiting the airport? That's a good first one after surviving the flight... Waiting for a bus? You know one arrives as soon as you light up... Etc. When you quit it takes a long time to adjust living through all these things without a cigarette and craving.

But in terms of the image, there is certainly something interesting and almost mesmerizing, if you think about it (and stupid of course), in having a literal fire just few centimeters from your face, from which you are breathing. Like what kind of weird fire master are you to harness the flame like that and why?? It reminds me of combustion engine - sure, electric cars are the future, but there is just something cool about having literal explosions in front of you, thousands per minute, which magically propel you forward.

Then there are the accessories. A Zippo lighter sound... or no less classic sound of a S.T. Dupont lighter which can also be a stylish luxury piece:

S.T.-Dupont-Ligne-2-Lighter-Gold-016284-01_62422ec3-3b4b-4805-b599-e9e71be4cfc6_5000x.jpg.631c4aaadec1b8a657472b2898c93ed2.jpg

An ashtray can make for some decor on your patio coffee table, and the variety is endless.

B73UJSYV2V5DXZRTZQY5QWBR5Y.thumb.jpg.7c49af91b85781fca089f0314fa29f4b.jpg

Cigarette boxes can be works of art, and made from everything from precious metals to pearl.

il_794xN.5261768026_fcj4.webp.e4a5705d0656930ecc12852ac3792d80.webp

Which brings me to another point - it can be an element of your personal style. Jack Nicholson's Jake Gittes in Chinatown hitting a cigarette a couple of times on his silver cigarette box to pack the tobacco is just like Kevin Spacey's Frances Underwood double-tapping a hard surface with his signet ring, except the former usually signified a start of a conversation while the latter ended it.

vlcsnap-2023-12-28-21h13m30s780.thumb.png.7220754eb6c27b798e6f8eb2d212a6e0.png

But you can end a conversation with a cigarette alright: flick it forcefully to the side, or put it out assertively in an ashtray, either way it is clear you just delivered your punch line and this conversation is over.

And speaking of film, there are way too many movies where a character's smoking is almost a signature move. Whole actors really. De Niro's face when he's taking a drag - would be something else without it. 

b7cb9ce3ce4771793c660cd97b17a3b2.thumb.jpg.edb80c2abdc28f8b0bd82fad9b345ec4.jpg

Then there is sex... but of course, it's an oral fixation after all. In Body Heat it's so hot already in South Florida the last thing you need is a heat source at your face, but when she's standing out there trying to catch a breeze and smoking, our protagonist lighting up next to her means they're already almost acquainted. 

vlcsnap-2023-12-28-21h25m00s525.thumb.png.109b450c74f916613a4dda679ad87714.png

What would Sharon Stone do in Basic Instinct without a cigarette?

8c78797ccb9f4dfb6258bc0ff19428b1.thumb.jpeg.76a6244002fa1ad1201d7462b6e5a93c.jpeg

And a cigarette completes the handsome image of Don Draper. It's almost like he sounds wiser because of it.

don_mad_men.thumb.jpeg.64f2d7e0fb9f1600b81c20d9e2272b28.jpeg

And just as much as after sex one appears to need a cigarette after a deadly battle. You just managed to survive a barrage of bullets, surely some smoking stick can't kill you.

vlcsnap-2023-12-28-21h37m04s553.thumb.png.a905e6e2e98299a853d1139319518587.png

And this last screenshot from Altered Carbon brings me to the cyberpunk genre, where cigarettes appear to just stick around. Maybe as a dystopian symbol of death, or to contrast the technological advancements of the future. Here is a scientist, a scientist, of the future for Pete's sake, lighting one up getting ready to work on Major in Ghost in the Shell. 

vlcsnap-2023-12-28-21h43m33s625.thumb.png.8c3509240fb190525aa7818288b58801.png

So in summary, accessories are cool, blowing out smoke is cool, another way to express your style is cool... oh if only they didn't stink and weren't harmful!

But you know what, maybe cigarettes are cool exactly because we know they are harmful and annoying. It's almost like a gesture saying you can afford to smoke - look, I'm rich and in great health, this don't matter to me. Almost a sign of invincibility - you can't hurt me mother***kers, I'm already smoking:

171526.thumb.jpg.f1195f7bf56f4c0bacdcec8cb1d68d5a.jpg

And a token of defiance - I don't care what you think, I'm my own man/woman, I'm above you.

vlcsnap-2023-12-28-22h48m46s687.thumb.png.15267a6c532881203a9195ac059cb4bc.png

In my opinion Crocket shouldn't have quit, it was indelible part of his character since his very first scene of the pilot.

But I'm glad DJ smoked fewer cigarette due to that character change - every one counts for your health. 

• Like 1