Get the Vice body type

Rossbrodie

Hi there

Hope i've not doubled up on this topic -  i couldn't find it anywhere else on the site, but please link if there is another thread 

I'm new to all this, and have only completed season 1, but have noticed DJ has a couple of physical features i am sure enhance the clothes he wears.

1/ He has very well defined trapezius muscles (traps). They are high which helps lift the linen jackets up, giving a solid triangular shape. My priority would be to  train the traps. Youtube Tom Hardy work out videos because Tom Hardy has naturally huge traps. Essentially one is doing loads of shrugs, shoulder presses and military press exercises.  When DJ wears sleeveless T-shirts, you see great striation of the shoulders. Not excessive, but toned and conditioned. Do plenty of front and side dumb bell raises, and planks.

2/ Biceps are not bulging! I think this is great as it gives DJ a sleek look, but he still has a nice shape. He's not trying to get massive definition on the triceps ether. This is important because good shoulder makes the t-shirts fit nicely, but he does not look ungainly with massive guns. Furthermore the t-shirts are close, but not too tight, which would reduce coolness  aesthetic. The sleeveless top look is is casual, the arms are not in your face... very important because Sonny isn't the type to spend all day in the gym. I think a more laid back aesthetic is a perfect antidote to todays instagram fitness look. You don't want veins popping out, too uncouth. 

3/ Waist: excellent. ok no six pack or v-cuts but a nice flat stomach that allows the t-shirt to tuck in with the high waisted trouser; great fit with the t-shirt. I reckon this is achieved with a good mix of all round exercise, but most importantly... diet!  I suspect DJ's chain smoking helped him cope with not eating much food. 

4/ Back. Lats are well defined with triangular shape. Don't need to be excessive with the back, but make sure the pull ups and pull downs are in there. Some moderate dead lifting would  help a lot too. If you prefer a bit of cardio hit the rowing machine, that will shred the fat off your back. 

4/ Legs... we don't get to see much of this but the Vice lads can run fast, so I would not skip leg days. Furthermore investing in legs will fill the trouser better. We all want the baggy 80's style, but we still want to believe a leg is inside the trouser! 

Conclusion: I think the VICE body shape is really appealing, achievable and healthy. Anyone can get to this point, especially with the improvement in gyms, personal training, and diet we have today. The most important thing to remember is to train your body... not to look amazing with no clothes on, but to look stunning when you wear vice fashion!  If you have the right body shape, you can then get your tailor to adjust your garments accordingly, and you will have the Vice style that fits perfectly with who you are. 

Edited by Rossbrodie
  • Like 4

Interesting post most haven't touched on. Good insight for the muscle distribution.

Vice was one of the things that pushed me to get in shape a couple years ago... in September 2018 I was 207 lbs (I'm 5'11"), I had quite a gut and my arms were wider (with fat, not muscle). I thought it would be good to match Don's body look as best as I could to fit the look, and for overall health. I counted calories, worked out often, drinking assloads of water, and reduced my sugar intake a lot - I wasn't watching it before. My weight started dropping rapidly and by December 2019 I reached 160 lbs and have been staying steady ever since (my latest weigh-in was 158.7). My body looks great now, not to brag. I just need to work on building muscle and getting tan as I'm just slim, no muscle to really speak of but my body frame is good.

It's funny, but there is an episode in the Sonny Burnett story arc where Tubbs describes Sonny "5'10", 160 pounds..." if I remember right, and that was one of the things  that pushed me to get to that weight specifically, because I wanted to look that good. I've actually heard he is 5'9", but whatever, his muscle probably accounts for the additional weight that makes him look proportionally good.

I plan to work on the muscle. With coronavirus and everything being shut down, I can't go to the gym now. I'm hoping this summer. But weight loss isn't as difficult as I thought. Well, I am also 22 years old and male so that helps. But still. Get in the Vice shape!

• Like 2

nice one buddy. at 22 you have an amazingly fast and adaptive metabolism so you should have no problem achieving your goal! furthermore you are identical in terms of height and weight so you can defiantly get the aesthetic both internally and externally through fashion. i'm 42 and i'm 5'9, around 73 kg. slower metabolism now, and need more cardio to keep lean. cannot do too much weights as i more easily cur injury and fatigue / slower recovery from hard resistance training. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys I’m new to the forum and happy to be here! So not to be a Debbie Downer I would disagree to do those workouts to get traps like Crockett they were defined but not big by any means front raises and side raises are more likely to get you traps like Crockett they add some size but really define your shoulders, delts, and traps. I’ll also add I wish I had as slim a waist as DJ! 

• Like 1

I look at it this way.  As long as you feel good in your Vice clothing the muscle tone does not matter.  If you walk around with confidence as you dress like Crockett or Tubbs others will notice in a good way.  

• Like 3

On 4/3/2020 at 3:12 PM, Mr. Calderon said:

I prefer to study caitlin's body. :)

Personally, I'm a student of Celeste's body from "Redemption in Blood" :thumbsup: ... oh, and Julia Scianti from "The Lost Madonna" :glossy:... not to mention Angel Montepina from "A Bullet for Crockett" :hot:... oh, and Felicia from "Freefall." :happy: Hm, maybe I should start a new thread... 

Edited by Titus
added episode title

Let's be real here. Don was probably, at most, 5-9, and given his size, probably never weighed more than 160 pounds. Back in the 80's, when big muscles were "in", he might've felt small by comparison (given what I've seen in certain promo pictures, I'm convinced he had lifts in those slip-on shoes to make him look taller). However, Don always had the swag and confidence that none of that mattered. So I say, whatever you got, be proud of yourself, and others will catch your vibe. Not everyone, but as long as you just keep that chin up, and not give a f*** what others think, some will appreciate your vibe.

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

I wouldn't say DJ had traps at all he's rather squared and defined in the anterior/posterior deltoid and has even width from lats to hips 

I think it's a very easy type to achieve, moderate weight compound exercises and pretty much eat anything you want provided you have an active lifestyle

My guess is he would have been 73-78kg at 5ft8 

I have a conspiracy theory that one of the main reasons PMT was cast as Tubbs was he was around the same height as Don. If Denzel Washington was Tubbs, it would've played out like Shatner and Leonard Nimoy on the set of Trek. :eek:

But seriously..The only time I noticed how tiny DJ was in season 3 with the short spiky hair. I guess people look taller with long hair.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 10:56 AM, Rossbrodie said:

Hi there

Hope i've not doubled up on this topic -  i couldn't find it anywhere else on the site, but please link if there is another thread 

I'm new to all this, and have only completed season 1, but have noticed DJ has a couple of physical features i am sure enhance the clothes he wears.

1/ He has very well defined trapezius muscles (traps). They are high which helps lift the linen jackets up, giving a solid triangular shape. My priority would be to  train the traps. Youtube Tom Hardy work out videos because Tom Hardy has naturally huge traps. Essentially one is doing loads of shrugs, shoulder presses and military press exercises.  When DJ wears sleeveless T-shirts, you see great striation of the shoulders. Not excessive, but toned and conditioned. Do plenty of front and side dumb bell raises, and planks.

2/ Biceps are not bulging! I think this is great as it gives DJ a sleek look, but he still has a nice shape. He's not trying to get massive definition on the triceps ether. This is important because good shoulder makes the t-shirts fit nicely, but he does not look ungainly with massive guns. Furthermore the t-shirts are close, but not too tight, which would reduce coolness  aesthetic. The sleeveless top look is is casual, the arms are not in your face... very important because Sonny isn't the type to spend all day in the gym. I think a more laid back aesthetic is a perfect antidote to todays instagram fitness look. You don't want veins popping out, too uncouth. 

3/ Waist: excellent. ok no six pack or v-cuts but a nice flat stomach that allows the t-shirt to tuck in with the high waisted trouser; great fit with the t-shirt. I reckon this is achieved with a good mix of all round exercise, but most importantly... diet!  I suspect DJ's chain smoking helped him cope with not eating much food. 

4/ Back. Lats are well defined with triangular shape. Don't need to be excessive with the back, but make sure the pull ups and pull downs are in there. Some moderate dead lifting would  help a lot too. If you prefer a bit of cardio hit the rowing machine, that will shred the fat off your back. 

4/ Legs... we don't get to see much of this but the Vice lads can run fast, so I would not skip leg days. Furthermore investing in legs will fill the trouser better. We all want the baggy 80's style, but we still want to believe a leg is inside the trouser! 

Conclusion: I think the VICE body shape is really appealing, achievable and healthy. Anyone can get to this point, especially with the improvement in gyms, personal training, and diet we have today. The most important thing to remember is to train your body... not to look amazing with no clothes on, but to look stunning when you wear vice fashion!  If you have the right body shape, you can then get your tailor to adjust your garments accordingly, and you will have the Vice style that fits perfectly with who you are. 

Excellent and well thought out analysis!

In the 80s it was ok to be short

Tom Cruise, Michael J Fox etc

I'm only 5ft6 probably 5ft5 and my arms look like done, high bicep inserts and horseshoe triceps with small forearms 

2 minutes ago, Miller Hailiffe said:

In the 80s it was ok to be short

Tom Cruise, Michael J Fox etc

I'm only 5ft6 probably 5ft5 and my arms look like done, high bicep inserts and horseshoe triceps with small forearms 

You  don't have to be tall to be good looking as DJ proves :) Toned body but not too muscled is the best.

38 minutes ago, wolfie1996 said:

You  don't have to be tall to be good looking as DJ proves :) Toned body but not too muscled is the best.

His body type is ideal and realistic, he has maintained some mass from football, the training he gets is from on the job and the body fat percentage is reflected by his eating habits always being on the beat or in the boat

Come to think of it there's rarely any scenes where he eats but I'd imagine it's fast food mostly and whatever he feeds Elvis

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Miller Hailiffe said:

His body type is ideal and realistic, he has maintained some mass from football, the training he gets is from on the job and the body fat percentage is reflected by his eating habits always being on the beat or in the boat

Come to think of it there's rarely any scenes where he eats but I'd imagine it's fast food mostly and whatever he feeds Elvis

I've always thought that- you never see him eating! Mind you , smoking constantly  probably helps keep the weight off :) In real life, DJ put a lot of weight ON when he finished MV, haven't seen much of Nash Bridges but seems to have a plump face on that , which  doesn't suit him. Looks shocking on a photo I saw of him and his wife with two young kids (early 2000's?) However on a recent interview  with Ellen Degeneres, he looked pretty good for a man of 71 and has obviously found himself a good plastic surgeon as his face looks far more youthful, I'm glad to say!

Don started puffing up in season 5 because he'd quit smoking by then, by the 90s he accumulated a bit more, he was always seen with a lollipop, I was the same when I gave up after 12 years 

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Miller Hailiffe:

I wouldn't say DJ had traps at all he's rather squared and defined in the anterior/posterior deltoid and has even width from lats to hips 

I think it's a very easy type to achieve, moderate weight compound exercises and pretty much eat anything you want provided you have an active lifestyle

My guess is he would have been 73-78kg at 5ft8 

DJ is 5ft10 (178cm) to start with, not 5´8´´ (but also not 5´11´like is management always said). We know that for sure because he is the same height as PMT who is also (confirmed) 178cm and there are enough scenes with both standing next to each other to compare. EJO is also 178cm if I rememember correctly.

When I first read the headline of this thread, the funny discussion from Nobody lives foerever ("She is not your type" - "Who is my type then?" - "The bearded lady in the circus") between Crockett and Tubbs came to my mind :funky: