Book on Miami

ame99

Forgive me if I recommend my book if you are a Miami Vice fan  It goes into detail about Miami in the 80s  as well.  Haven't publicized it much lately mainly because I wrote it for my family an friends and not to make money.  http://www.lulu.com/shop/col-james-staubach-us-army-retired/the-magic-city-captured-by-miami-vice-scarface-and-other-popular-shows/ebook/product-24286194.html

Miami Blues by Charles Willeford. Also an excellent movie.

Edited by Tommy Vercetti

"Big Trouble" by Dave Barry is a pretty funny book involving family drama, crime, gunrunning, assassination and lots of scenes set in Miami. Dave was a columnist for the Miami Herald from '83 to '05 and his writing is pretty great. I remember reading the book on a trip to Walt Disney World back in 2000 and even though I haven't read it since then I remember it being pretty good. Big Trouble was made into a movie starring Tim Allen and Rene Russo that was produced and directed by Barry Sonnenfeld. I know saying the book is better than the movie is kind of cliche but Tim and Rene are absolutely miscast. Its only saving grace was the casting of Miami Vice's own Dennis Farina who pretty much plays the same type of bad guy character you'd expect him to play but because he's got great satirical timing he pulls it off.  

Edited by zidders

A lot of Elmore Leonard's books are set in Miami including Out of Sight, Cat Chaser, Stick, Rum Punch and Get Shorty. All were made into movies too.

Thanks for the suggestions, do you know any book not crime/noir related? I appreciate probably there are not a lot given what was going on in Miami in that period. 

Edited by ame99