New Footage in the Bluray Set

airtommy

In another thread RedDragon86 said

On 4/3/2019 at 4:42 PM, RedDragon86 said:

I have  noticed in "The Pilot" on BluRay, it has 2 new scenes, one is where Crockett is below deck waking up in his large bed, the next one is when Crockett and Gina are arguing in the bathroom, she leaves but what is different is she comes back in to talk to Crockett, none of these scenes were on DVD.

Are there any other new scenes or footage in the Bluray set that were not in the DVD set?

• Like 2

Yes a scene in the Pilot, when Sonny and Gina are talking on his boat, the part when Crockett is about to go below deck and before he does looks at Elvis and says, "What are you looking at?" I found out by accident, when I watched a Jan Hammer video, it was cut on the DVD, but it's featured on the Blu-ray. Also the part about Gina reentering the bathroom was originally in the script. 

Here is the pilot scene: At 3:20

Edited by summer84
  • Like 2

I had wondered, whether the part in "The Prodigal son," when Crockett says "You're a real poet Rico" and Rico replies "And my momma knows it," was shown on Blu-ray? 

4 hours ago, summer84 said:

when Sonny and Gina are talking on his boat, the part when Crockett is about to go below deck and before he does looks at Elvis and says, "What are you looking at?"

This is on my DVD (the original 2004 3 disc set). Pretty sure it’s on my 6 disc set, too. Strange. 

8 hours ago, airtommy said:

one is where Crockett is below deck waking up in his large bed, the next one is when Crockett and Gina are arguing in the bathroom, she leaves but what is different is she comes back in to talk to Crockett, none of these scenes were on DVD.

What scene is the bed?

Gina comes back into the bathroom and says the “...because I wanted it to happen” lines on every format I own. What DVD set do you have?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

What scene is the bed?

Gina comes back into the bathroom and says the “...because I wanted it to happen” lines on every format I own. What DVD set do you have?

The bed scene is when you see Sonny waking up in the morning and Gina has already left. I never saw that on my Universal Playback DVD boxset (2007)

mm00201874.jpg?width=1200

Edited by RedDragon86

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

What scene is the bed?

Yeah same here. My DVD's and Bluray versions are the same. The bed shot with Crockett waking up to Tubbs' footsteps and calling "Gina!?" and the "because I wanted it to happen" are present on both old release and remaster for me. 

Must just be the 2007 release which doesn't have it? Strange.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, summer84 said:

I had wondered, whether the part in "The Prodigal son," when Crockett says "You're a real poet Rico" and Rico replies "And my momma knows it," was shown on Blu-ray? 

Yes it is. It's on mine. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James said:

Yes it is. It's on mine. 

Thanks. I had wondered about it because according to the Miami Vice wiki for that episode, the scene with those lines were deleted, among several others, which it also is on NBC.com But the scene is present on my DVD.

Edited by summer84

I checked and I have the Crockett bed scene with Crockett calling "Gina," but don't have the bathroom scene, where Gina comes back, but you can hear the sound of footsteps and door slamming, when Crockett is shown by the window. Although I just watched that part of the bathroom scene for the first time on NBC! The pilot boat scene with Crockett going below deck and looking at Elvis is also featured on NBC. 

Edited by summer84

I have never seen Crockett wake up and call for Gina on any of my discs. Wow. It wasn’t on the Columbia House VHS set either. 

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I have never seen Crockett wake up and call for Gina on any of my discs. Wow. It wasn’t on the Columbia House VHS set either. 

494914910_sonnybedsceneinthepilot.thumb.jpg.dae0e7453f39bd8826da5fbfd474b0ef.jpg

1209174636_sonnybedsceneinthepilot.jpg.2210624500c06cc1a4c853917c2af84f.jpg

Here it is. And then the scene cuts to Tubbs.

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

1662088327_sonnyandginaboatscene.jpg.1dd5209205c4e03b1dd713dbf72cbdf6.jpg

On my DVD the scene ends here and fades to black. The part where he talks to Elvis is on Blu-ray, however.

Edited by summer84

54 minutes ago, summer84 said:

On my DVD the 2007 release. It's also on NBC.

What does that cover look like? 3 or 6 disc?

I try to bring some light:

The non US DVD Releases aka the European DVDs have the Pilot not as movie versions. I believe its the syndicated two part version which is shortened in some scenes.
The only European DVD Set i know with the pilot as Full Movie Version is the Definitive Collection Best Of Set.

RedDragons Season 1 DVD set is from the UK. So it has the Pilot as shortened two parter.
All Full Movie Versions of the pilot should have all those Scenes.

I have two German VHS Recordings. One from the eighties and one from 1993.
BOTH have all those Scenes.
The German Season 1 DVD has the Pilot as 2 Part version and is missing them. Also in television today they only show the 2 Part version

They really only should be missing in the two parter version of the pilot.

Edited by SwissTubbs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have the USA 2005 Universal set (marked #27169 inside) with 3 double-sided discs.  It has all of these scenes.  The cover looks like this:

s1dvd.jpg.65959dbcf0da905aa261140b4d9b03f2.jpg

Edited by airtommy

All US DVD Sets should have the scenes because the pilot was always the movie Version in the US on those DVD Sets.

It was for me not logical to present the pilot as the shorter two part version on the European DVDs.
Especially because the European Best Of DVD Set "Definitive Collection" that came before the Season Sets had it as the full length movie.

15 hours ago, summer84 said:

1662088327_sonnyandginaboatscene.jpg.1dd5209205c4e03b1dd713dbf72cbdf6.jpg

On my DVD the scene ends here and fades to black. The part where he talks to Elvis is on Blu-ray, however.

So to be sure I have this right, he tells Elvis “what are you lookin at” (on every version I own), then it cuts to him waking up and saying “Gina”?

edit: I just checked all my discs and it’s on all of them. How I’ve somehow never noticed is completely beyond me. What else am I missing?? Haha

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

So to be sure I have this right, he tells Elvis “what are you lookin at” (on every version I own), then it cuts to him waking up and saying “Gina”?

edit: I just checked all my discs and it’s on all of them. How I’ve somehow never noticed is completely beyond me. What else am I missing?? Haha

I had to check to be sure and after the Elvis part, it first shows Tubbs walking towards Crockett's boat and then cuts to Crockett in bed. You mean, (if I understand correctly) you have the bed scene? :)

Edited by summer84

This thread has me thinking back to another thread here on the forum from some time ago. Apparently there were 2 different takes for the scene in "Calderone's Return: Part 2" where Tubbs confronts Angelina about her what her father does. I remember seeing the clips here on the forum. One was *probably* the original broadcast (or possibly a later syndicated airing) and the other was *probably the DVD/Blu-ray. Same dialogue, different line reads and camera angles.