Some facts we knew; some we didn't

mjcmmv

2 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

If you watch “Against All Odds”, it’s easy to see how he could be considered. 

Don't get me wrong, I love Jeff Bridges, but not in the role of Sonny Crockett. I never saw Against All Odds, so maybe it will change my mind. 

1 minute ago, mjcmmv said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Jeff Bridges, but not in the role of Sonny Crockett. I never saw Against All Odds, so maybe it will change my mind. 

It won’t make you wish he was Crockett, but you’ll definitely see why he was in the running—really mesmerizing...pure class. “The Dude abides...” (Google that if you need to :) )

Against All Odds and The Big Lebowski are two of my favorite movies. 

1 minute ago, Dadrian said:

It won’t make you wish he was Crockett, but you’ll definitely see why he was in the running—really mesmerizing...pure class. “The Dude abides...” (Google that if you need to :) )

Thanks, Dadrian. You're right. Jeff Bridges was pure class. Loved him in Starman, Jagged Edge...and The Great Lebowski. 

• Like 1

Interesting article but not all these things are "secrets". Why would anybody want to keep Ed O'Neill secret? There's a couple of other things, just to be nitpicky. That pic of DJ with MG is hilarious btw. Tubbs' home, as we know, actually was brought up (Heart of Darkness?) and may have actually been seen at least once in Amen, Send Money. Also, there's no guarantee that Denzel would've become what he became in feature film if he had starred on a 5 season TV series. I'm sure he's just fine with how things turned out. Yes, Big Booty Trudy would be sexual harassment now, somebody would be fired and even if Trudy herself wasn't offended, she'd be shamed by others for allowing herself to be called that. We're still not 100% on what branch of the military Sonny was in. Last but not least-Fast Eddie Felcher. I'm not going to say here what "Felching" is, but I think it may be worse than "three eyed turtle". You can google it but I suggest you just search the definition and not images.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Administrators

If Larry Wilcox would have gotten the Crockett gig they would have had to teach him how to actually draw and fire his gun. He had no experience doing so on CHiPs. :)

Baricza was the only one to actually draw but stopped short of waxing Billy’s Azz as he very cleverly stopped when he was staring down the barrel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I wil google this. Thanks!

58 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

Interesting article but not all these things are "secrets". Why would anybody want to keep Ed O'Neill secret? There's a couple of other things, just to be nitpicky. That pic of DJ with MG is hilarious btw. Tubbs' home, as we know, actually was brought up (Heart of Darkness?) and may have actually been seen at least once in Amen, Send Money. Also, there's no guarantee that Denzel would've become what he became in feature film if he had starred on a 5 season TV series. I'm sure he's just fine with how things turned out. Yes, Big Booty Trudy would be sexual harassment now, somebody would be fired and even if Trudy herself wasn't offended, she'd be shamed by others for allowing herself to be called that. We're still not 100% on what branch of the military Sonny was in. Last but not least-Fast Eddie Felcher. I'm not going to say here what "Felching" is, but I think it may be worse than "three eyed turtle". You can google it but I suggest you just search the definition and not images.

Love how you took this apart and made us aware of how this sounds in todays politically correct, Me Too atmosphere. No way would this be accepted today, 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, timm525 said:

If Larry Wilcox would have gotten the Crockett gig they would have had to teach him how to actually draw and fire his gun. He had no experience doing so on CHiPs. :)

Baricza was the only one to actually draw but stopped short of waxing Billy’s Azz as he very cleverly stopped when he was staring down the barrel. 

Wow. I never saw that. Thanks. 

• Administrators

Because of a salary dispute DJ didn't show up for work for several days when season 3 filming was scheduled to begin. Of course the rumors began to fly and the biggest one was that Mark Harmon was a possible replacement for him.  When he was asked about it, Harmon had no idea what they were talking about.

• Administrators
On 5/18/2020 at 7:56 AM, Ferrariman said:

Because of a salary dispute DJ didn't show up for work for several days when season 3 filming was scheduled to begin. Of course the rumors began to fly and the biggest one was that Mark Harmon was a possible replacement for him.  When he was asked about it, Harmon had no idea what they were talking about.

I’m betting DJ didn’t know they bluffed him and it obviously bought him back to the table to negotiate. I too recall the rumors at that time about Mark Harmon replacing him. I had no idea who he was but thought that sucked of course.

• Administrators

Speaking of Mark Harmon, he did a great job playing a cop in “The Presidio” with Sean Connery and Meg Ryan in 1988.

I can only hope that had Mark Harmon actually come onboard that he would've been a different character, and not another actor playing the role of Crockett.  Either way, I think Season 3 would've probably been the end had that happened.

No one but the Don could take the Crockett mantle, but man, in the 80's Jeff Bridges totally had a Vice style going. Here's a shot from "8 Million Ways to Die" from 1985.

8-million-ways-to-die-9.png

Look familiar?

1174867750_1.jpg

Edited by TylerDurden389
  • Like 2

• Administrators

We say DJ is the only person to play Crockett but that's said about every actor in every successful movie or TV franchise. Other examples of this are Harrison Ford playing Indiana Jones,  Hugh Jackman playing Wolverine or Arnold playing the Terminator.  Can you really picture anybody else in these roles?

If Jeff Bridges had been chosen as Crockett from the beginning, we'd be saying the same thing about Don Johnson replacing him midway through the series.

• Like 1

I think Nick Nolte was considered as well, but he was too old imo.

Either Timmerman of Mann watched 48 hrs and got the idea from that, more likely Mann who is good friends with Walter Hill and we see quite a few actors appearing in Vice from his films. 

Edited by RedDragon86

I'm glad they chose DJ for the part as Sonny Crockett, as I started watching the show because of him. I've said before, that I could maybe have pictured Jeff Bridges, he kind of had a similar look and attitude. But then I'm not sure, I would have discovered MV, as I'm not into crime shows generally. Which would have been sad. But who knows.

• Like 1

I read on this site in the glossary, that Trudy's desk sign was a joke made by DJ and PMT. A website was linked, that is no longer available.

Edited by summer84