What films epitomize the 1980s best?

Neons in Noir

I think the movie that most epitomizes the '80s is Wall Street. It totally encapsulates the greed culture and consumerism of the decade. Scarface also obviously epitomizes the decade too. It's really the crime equivalent of Wall Street that also shows the glamor and excess of the decade too. It has the '80s style too of course.

Other films that show the style of the decade are To Live and Die In LA , Manhunter, Body Double as they had the Miami Vice aesthetic on the big screen as well as the slick MTV style of visual storytelling.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

The Breakfast Club

Yes, definitely the #1 film I think of when it comes to the 80’s! Released in 1985, right in the heart of the decade. So, of course with this in mind, “Don’t You (Forget About Me)” is definitely the #1 song I think of when thinking of the 80’s. Pure new wave song with an emotional singer, chorused guitar, prominent bass, brassy synth stabs, but surprisingly no drum machine... But a great drum track!

Edit: Wait, maybe it’s a tie for #1 song I think of when thinking of the 80’s... Can’t forget the “Miami Vice” theme! :cool:

”Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” is definitely up there too, maybe #2 for me. Most of my favorite movies are from the 80’s, as well as favorite music, TV, fashion, cars, etc.

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

The Breakfast Club

Great movie and I really like the song "Don't you forget about me." Probably also reflects how people really dressed back then. 

• Like 1

Trick or Treat

Skippy from "Family Ties" plays a record backwards and awakens his idol, a recently deceased heavy metal god.  This one is a guilty pleasure of mine and reeks of 80's.  Great music!

• Like 1

• Administrators

Scar Face. Total epitome of the 80’s in my opinion. Classic. 

Gonna watch it again this weekend if it ends up being another endless rainy weekend here.

• Like 2

• Administrators

"The Wedding Singer" had a character who dressed like Crockett and was obsessed with "Miami Vice"  at one point he pulled up in his car and when he opened the door you could hear the Vice theme blasting.    

"Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion"   A very corny movie with a great 80's sound track.

• Like 3

Never was a huge fan of either The Breakfast Club or Ferris. If we're talking John Hughes (who captured the suburban upper-middle class experience pretty well but missed everything else) I prefer 16 Candles. I also quite like Better Off Dead. There's also a lesser-known movie that came out right at the start of the decade that I think grabs the feeling of loss that tended to impact some of the kids coming of age in the early '80s (even though it came out in 1979) - Over the Edge.

But the '80s wasn't just white suburbia. I don't think a single movie can really capture the decade (or any decade for that matter). Urban Cowboy perfectly captures a certain part of the '80s, and Red Dawn is a great capsule of the fears that gripped some people during the Cold War. I'm also kinda surprised no one mentioned Fast Times at Ridgemont High or Risky Business. Not into either movie, but they usually come up in these kind of discussions.

3 minutes ago, IzzyFan99 said:

I second this. 

Arguably the best sequel of the 1980s, too. That robot rules.

I would actually give the best sequel nod to Aliens. How can you top "Somebody wake up Hicks..." Or the ever-popular Hudson/Vazquez exchange: "Hey, Vazquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?" followed by "No. Have you?"

56 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

I would actually give the best sequel nod to Aliens. How can you top "Somebody wake up Hicks..." Or the ever-popular Hudson/Vazquez exchange: "Hey, Vazquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?" followed by "No. Have you?"

I totally agree with that. Lethal Weapon 2 was pretty good as well.

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

Absolutely Aliens as the best sequel of the decade.  One of the very few sequels that’s better than the original in many people’s view, including mine.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

Awesome sequel!  As far as Rocky goes, I'd rather watch him kick Mr. T's ass!

6 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I totally agree with that. Lethal Weapon 2 was pretty good as well.

Yes very good movie.

5 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Awesome sequel!  As far as Rocky goes, I'd rather watch him kick Mr. T's ass!

Rocky 3 such a great movie.

When I saw this post I immediately thought of Ferris and The Breakfast Club.  Also I am a big fan of the Lethal Weapon series.  But even I agree that Wall Street really captured the essence of the greed, me first, make money no matter who you have to walk all over decade.  

• Like 1

The Terminator and Back to the Future.

Some people won't even watch 80s movies because their "too old", but BTTF seems to hold up well, kids and teens will still think it's awesome.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vincent Hanna said:

The Terminator and Back to the Future.

Some people won't even watch 80s movies because their "too old", but BTTF seems to hold up well, kids and teens will still think it's awesome.

Film's of the past especially in the 70's, 80's and 90's will never be bettered, directors today can only dream of making classics like The Terminator & Back To The Future.

I think the film industry went pear shaped 00's onwards. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedDragon86 said:

Film's of the past especially in the 70's, 80's and 90's will never be bettered, directors today can only dream of making classics like The Terminator & Back To The Future.

I think the film industry went pear shaped 00's onwards. 

I agree, just seem to hear a lot that some people won't watch movies older than the 90s/00s :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vincent Hanna said:

I agree, just seem to hear a lot that some people won't watch movies older than the 90s/00s :(

Not me, pal! The best movies are from the 80s! I also really like classics from the 1940s-1960s (film noir, thrillers, etc). I also have a soft spot for Elvis movies. :) I hardly watch any new movies. I think the last really solid movies to come out were in the early 2000s. American Psycho, Vanilla Sky, Donnie Darko, and etc.

• Like 1