Some Jan Hammer Magic

Dadrian

Okay this is not Jan, but the guy is selling a legendary reverb unit that Jan used on the show. He posted this video as a demo. 

The beginning is a simple drum machine pattern. Listen how it instantly turns into a bunch of MV cues when he starts fiddling with the reverb! :fireworks:

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Okay this is not Jan, but the guy is selling a legendary reverb unit that Jan used on the show. He posted this video as a demo. 

The beginning is a simple drum machine pattern. Listen how it instantly turns into a bunch of MV cues when he starts fiddling with the reverb! :fireworks:

go for it man!

20 minutes ago, daytona365 said:

...he said, and roared away in his Maserati :dance:

...that has to be serviced by Ferrari of Atlanta with genuine parts ;(

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

...that has to be serviced by Ferrari of Atlanta with genuine parts ;(

priorities, priorities...I know the Quattroporte makes a great sound, but does it beat the Lexicon? And do you believe the exhaust note of the car does get us folks here as exited as your Jan Hammer covers? :radio:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

This Lexicon is very cool though, authentic Hammer style! Buy it!

A vintage Lexicon 200 is definitely on my list, but that’s a lot of money for an effect. It’s really worth it, but as a hobbyist, I still won’t be getting one anytime soon (at least at that price). 

30 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

A vintage Lexicon 200 is definitely on my list, but that’s a lot of money for an effect. It’s really worth it, but as a hobbyist, I still won’t be getting one anytime soon (at least at that price). 

True. Effects are very important, but most specific effects units are not important to my ears. It’s kind of like diamonds vs. cubic zirconias. They’re about the same unless you wanna get super specific with a microscope.

I still wanna know how you could afford that Memory Moog and Jupiter 8. You been selling some Colombian exports? :)

Edited by AndrewRemington

2 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

I still wanna know how you could afford that Memory Moog and Jupiter 8. You been selling some Colombian exports? :)

:) 

The Jupiter 8 is not mine, but the Memorymoog is. My wife and I were blessed with great jobs. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I had to resurrect this thread to announce that after 25 years of drooling I have a chance to buy one of these tomorrow! 

I will let you all know if it goes through. 

The Lexicon 200 is just a reverb/echo unit, but it has some very unique abilities that made it a key figure in all of Jan’s Miami Vice music, not to mention a legendary piece of equipment for the entire music industry. The demo above says it all. For instance, you can hear the strange ambiance from the drums on Phill the Shill/Black Mercedes around the 1:38 mark. :fireworks:

• Like 4

I now own a genuine Lexicon 200 Reverberator! :D

The one I bought was used on “at least 25 Grammy-winning records” says the Nashville legend who sold it to me!

He said he wanted it to get some more good use. Hold my Memorymoog...:p

B687A0D2-81B3-4984-8D96-E79E10A36C20.jpeg

B6B16DE2-5267-4419-8A00-9EFE7F1D9F1B.jpeg

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 3

Congratulations Dadrian. As a music hardware illiterate, it looks to me like something you'd launch a 1950ies nuke with:p

• Haha 1

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, Crockettt said:

@Dadrianare you going to re-do your Phil the Shill cover with Memorymoog pads and Lexicon 200 Effects Processor?

...and the list grows even longer! :p

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crockettt said:

@Dadrianare you going to re-do your Phil the Shill cover with Memorymoog pads and Lexicon 200 Effects Processor?

That’s at the top of my list for this unit! I have a couple of other things to finish up first. The computer crash put me way behind. 

1 hour ago, OCBman said:

@Dadrian, do you know if Phil Collins used this as well?

I’m not sure, but this unit was in a LOT of pro studios beginning in the mid 80s, so it’s very possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here’s a demo with a synthesizer (drums come in later). 

It starts without the reverb. When you see the green lights on the right, you’ll instantly hear why Jan used it on Miami Vice—some very signature ambiances. 

• Like 3