No Good Deed... Part VIII

Robbie C.

Hector Rendozo poured himself another shot of tequila and looked at the girl sprawled in the bed. He’d give her half an hour before going at it again. I paid good money for the night, damn it! And that’s the whole night. He’d have tossed her out of the room an hour ago if she hadn’t been so good the first two times.

Turning, he stared at the room’s TV without seeing what was on the screen. This time of night it was going to be some damned infomercial or an old movie his father might have liked. He’d slipped into a kind of routine. Making the rounds of the clubs posing and trying to catch wind of a job or any word about Burnett. Then dialing one of the outcall services and ordering a girl. He’d had more luck with the girls than he had with the other parts of his routine. Burnett was a fucking ghost and he wasn’t going back to slinging dope on the corner. Not after what he, Hector Rendozo, had done in his day. But he was coming to realize that most of the men who might remember those days were either locked up or dead. It was a new world, and he liked it less and less the more he saw of it. Like that punk Ramon.

He’d seen the little bitch once since that first time, and like before he was full of talk and no action. Claimed he was still looking for Burnett, but he also had a line on another job or two. Hector downed the tequila with a single angry gulp. Little bitch even offered me a straphanger job. Like I’m some green kid on his first pot buy. But what made him madder was the fact he might have to take the punk up on it. Money was getting tight.

Pouring another drink, he turned and looked back at the girl. Admiring the curve of her ass, the long lines of her legs, and the magnificent breasts. Feeling the stirring again, he started to get to his feet when the room phone rang. He snatched up the receiver. “This better be good.”

Jangles’ voice filled his ear. “You ain’t gonna believe who I just heard from, boss.”

“Burnett?”

“Naw, but almost as good, mano. I got a call from this lawyer dude who got me off on that bust back in ’92. Fat cat named Haskell. Said he knows you, too.”

“Yeah.” Hector nodded, remembering the big man and his bigger bill. But he’d been good in court. Should have coughed up the money on the Cooper bust. I might not have gone down for that one. “I know the name. What’s he want?”

“Says he needs a couple of reliable guys for a job. A job that pays, Hector.”

“What kinda job? I ain’t takin’ the fall for no lawyer.”

“Didn’t sound like that kinda job. Said he needed help makin’ some place look bad. But he wants to meet first. With both of us.” There was a pause. “He also said Sonny Burnett might be involved.”

Hector almost forgot about the girl. “When and where?”

“Tomorrow…I mean today. Some club down by the water at four. I got the name written down.”

“Pick me up at three. I wanna look the place over before we go in blind to meet some lawyer.” The girl rolled over in her sleep, giving him a better view of her body. “I gotta get back to work, Jangles.” Hanging up the phone, he finished his drink and returned to bed. She’d wake up once he got started, and from the sound of Jangles’ voice he figured chances were good he’d be too busy to indulge in this until the job was done.

Ricardo Tubbs stood on the rooftop patio of Casa Cooper with a steaming cup of coffee, enjoying the sunrise and the sounds of the city waking up for another day. Mindy was, he supposed, still in bed, and stealing the moment for himself almost made him feel guilty. Almost.

After Rafael had been murdered, Rico spent more and more of his time alone. Over time he’d become accustomed to it, though not to the warrior-monk extremes Castillo did. Still, he’d found that while Sonny liked being the center of attention he preferred being on the edges looking in and observing. With a handful of exceptions it had become his way of living since he’d moved to Miami.

The Task Force, Mindy, and his marriage changed all that. Sipping coffee, he smiled at the memories. He hadn’t been in charge, but he’d been close enough more than once and felt the terrible responsibility…especially when Trudy had been shot. But he’d been part of a team unlike any he’d ever heard of before, and it was there he met Mindy.

No question they were both damaged goods; him from Valerie and Angelina and her thanks to a cheating bastard of a boss and her drunken father before him. At first he’d been sure she’d fall for Sonny, and later he found out she was equally positive he had been involved with Trudy. Jazz brought them together…jazz and loss. They’d gotten together, and in the end she asked him to marry her. It was, without question, the best decision he’d ever made.

Right up until the day before the wedding Rico had been ready to show up in drag, figuring the other guys on the Task Force would push him into it. The honeymoon had been a waking dream, and then came the harder part: adjusting to each other. Even though they’d lived together before the wedding, Rico and Mindy had been very private people beforehand. Conditioned by years of hurt, it took more time than either of them had guessed to lower their defenses all the way. Looking out over the city, Rico scratched his chin under his trimmed beard. The first six months had been tough, but after that it had been one long, beautiful dream.

“I thought I’d find you out here.” Mindy ran her hand along his shoulder.

“Yeah. Just watching the city wake up.” He grinned. “Old habits, pretty lady.”

“I used to do that in Boston, too. Get up someplace high and just watch it all happen. Like I wasn’t part of it.”

Her voice didn’t sound quite right, and he turned to face her. Her deep blue eyes were wide, and her thick red hair still rumpled from the pillow and the night before. “Something’s wrong, pretty lady. What is it?”

“Nothing’s wrong, Rico. Not a thing.” She raised her hand, showing him the white plastic rod. “I’m pregnant.”

Rico took a breath. Then another. They’d been trying for months, following all the crap in the magazines and on those damned Internet message boards. He’d finally guessed it just wasn’t going to happen. “That’s incredible news, baby!” He let out a whoop, feeling a tightness in his chest he hadn’t felt for years. “I…”

“It’s what we both wanted.” She smiled, and he could see tears in her eyes now. “I’m not sad, baby. I’m so happy I don’t know what else to do.”

“I know. I know how much this means to you…and to us.” He took her in his arms, kissing her on her forehead and then on her soft, wonderful lips. “And we gotta plan now. Start work on a nursery. All that…”

She smiled. “No. We have to enjoy each other first.” She took his hand and guided it down. “Pregnancy hormones can be wild from what I hear.”

“I like how you think, pretty lady. And how you feel. And how you smell…” He lowered her to one of the padded couches on the patio. Breakfast would just have to wait.

They took her Mercedes to work, and it took all of Rico’s focus to make the drive without slamming into a guard rail or running someone off the road. The news he was going to be a father was part of the reason, but Mindy was the other. She wasn’t kidding about those hormones. God help us all if Jenny got pregnant! Still, they made it through the front gate in one piece, and Rico was still smiling when he settled in behind his desk to attack the day’s work.

When Mindy wasn’t otherwise occupied on the drive in, she’d asked who they should tell first. “Sonny and Castillo,” he said without hesitation. “I’d guess you’ll add Trudy to that list and that’s totally cool. Jenny probably already knows somehow. Ain’t no one in my family’s gonna care. Pops would just have some remark I’d have to smack him for.”

“Same for my da.” She’d smiled up at him. “I like your list. We can tell Stan and Lester, too. And you’ll have to call Randy and Dave. Gina will find out, and I don’t want her to feel left out. And I’ll tell Pete, too. He’s…”

“Yeah. I know he looked out for you and gave you a shot. First in Miami and then with the Task Force.”

Thinking back on the conversation, Rico smiled and waited for his computer to boot up. We are telling family in a way. Those people are our family. No question. Once the screen turned from black to the logo of Caitlin’s House, he let his smile fade and turned his attention to the desk calendar. There was work to get done before Sonny got in. He had a feeling once he told his boss the news nothing more would get done today.

Sonny came down to the security office just before ten, a bemused smile on his face. “What the hell are they so worked up about upstairs? I stopped by the office to check the reports and it sounded like a cheerleader convention.”

“That might kinda be my fault.” Rico tried to keep his face frozen, but felt a smile taking shape. “Mindy’s pregnant.”

“Congratulations, partner!” Sonny came around the desk and captured him in a bear hug that threatened to crush his ribs. “Been wondering how long that would take.”

“It ain’t from lack of tryin’.” Rico slapped Sonny on the back, the bursting feeling back in his chest. “Got any advice for a father-to-be?”

“You’re askin’ the wrong guy. I was always too busy to be a dad, no matter how much I said I wanted to be one.” Sonny drew back, and Rico could see the hurt in his eyes. “No one’s fault but mine. I get that now. You got what it takes, partner. Just don’t put any job ahead of your kid.”

“Yeah…my pops wasn’t anything to write home about…”

“Hell, mine was great. Played catch, took me fishing, you name it. But that didn’t make me father of the year.” Sonny sat down, and Rico could see his focus shifting inside. “Naw, sometimes I think it’s better if that comes from inside you, not from seeing someone else do it. Hell…look how long it took me to grow up and stop being a cowboy. I got all that crossed up with being a dad. Figured you had to have a son, and then it all just happened. It might have been better with Caitlin, but I’ll never know. You? Hell, you got what it takes.”

“I ain’t so sure.”

“Good. If you were sure I’d be worried.” Sonny grinned. “I’d love to shut the place down and head for Marshal’s Ribs and then Sanctuary, but we gotta get stuff settled before those crews start up full time.” He paused. “Does Castillo know yet?”

“No. I think Mindy might have called Pete, but…”

“You’d rather tell him in person. I get it. Tell you what, let’s get at this shit and then blow this pop stand by three. You think we can get everything done by then? It’s Friday, so I’d like to get as much wrapped up as we can and start the week fresh.”

“Don’t see why not. Stan and Lester got that Charlie 3 problem sorted out, and the last new hire’s processed in. It’s mostly screening the workers and keeping tabs on them now.” Rico grinned and forced his mind back to business. He knew what he and Sonny could accomplish when they put their minds to it, and figured they’d be done before three. “I’ll have Mindy call and reserve tables. Then I’ll show you what Lester came up with the for the workers. Hell of an idea.”

They finished up just before two-thirty, Sonny looking over the final plan with a grin. “You weren’t kidding about Lester’s idea. Hell of thing, putting one of those strips in their badges and linking it to sensors on the wards and dorms.”

“Yeah. Not only will it set off alarms at the desk, it’ll track just who crossed over and when. We’ll still have physical patrols, but this is an extra layer and it’ll help keep the girls safe in case someone tries to slip someone past us.”

“That trick’s gettin’ damned old. I’d ask Mindy and Trudy if they’ve found out anything more about Campbell or the Post, but I’ll bet they’re distracted as hell.” Sonny closed the folder with a snap and got to his feet. “And now let’s get the hell out of here, partner. You and I have barbecue to eat and beer to drink. And maybe stop by Castillo’s on the way out.”

“Yeah, let’s do that. I’ll let Mindy and the others know.” Rico snatched up the phone and punched numbers. “What about Jenny?”

“She might already be upstairs with them. She was taking three of the Step Four people out on Vellamo this morning and they should be back by now.” Sonny chuckled. “Besides…”

“…she probably already knows.” Rico finished the thought and grinned. “Same thing I told Mindy this morning.” He was about to go on when Mindy’s voice filled his ear. “Yeah, pretty lady. We’re headin’ out now. Gonna stop by Castillo’s and let him know. You got the tables? Solid. We’ll meet you all out there.”

Sonny made the drive to Castillo’s in record time, and they found their former boss out on his deck with a cup of green tea. “It’s good to see you both,” he said without moving. “I take it this is good news.”

Rico nodded. “Mindy’s pregnant.”

Castillo set his cup down on the plain boards and smiled. “That is good news. Congratulations, Ricardo.”

Rico shook Castillo’s outstretched hand. “Thanks. We’ve got tables at Marshal’s Ribs and Sanctuary. I was hoping you’d come along to celebrate.”

“Of course.” Turning, he looked toward the driveway. “Sounds like my ride’s here.”

Rico chuckled as the thumping of a V-8 reached his ears. “Damn! That lady of yours can drive that car, no question. She damned near caught us, and we left ten minutes before she did.”

Castillo smiled. “Detroit muscle.”

Rico grinned as Sonny bristled. “That’s a damned nice Challenger, but it’s not in the same class as the Daytona.”

“Tell you what. We’ll see who makes it to Marshal’s Ribs first.” Rico chuckled. “That should settle things until the next time.”

Hector Rendozo felt his lips curl into a snarl when he saw the club. Jangles hadn’t been kidding when he said it wasn’t much. But that also meant it was a good place to meet people without being noticed, which is why he figured the lawyer picked the joint.

Hector hated dealing with lawyers. No matter what they said, they were always looking out for themselves first and anyone else second. No loyalty. Reaching into his jacket pocket he grinned as his fingers touched the small recorder. Gonna have insurance this time, baby he thought as he headed for the narrow door under the splashy neon sign. And these damned boots make my feet hurt.

Inside it was at least air-conditioned, the system pulling some of the stale smoke and body odor out of the air as it cooled. He squinted just before he opened the door, the old trick allowing his eyes to adjust faster to the gloom he knew he’d find inside. That let him spot Jangles sitting with two white guys toward the back of the place. Ignoring the punk at the door, he headed straight for them.

Jangles was all smiles. “Hank! My man! Have a seat! You want a drink?”

“No. I’m good.” Hector sat down, letting his gaze slide over the two white guys in suits. The bigger of the two returned his gaze with a hint of appraisal, and Hector pegged him at once as the boss of the two. The older one might be the figurehead, but the other one called the shots. “What can I do for you two?”

The figurehead cleared his throat. “My associate and I are in need of some special services…”

“Look. I ain’t into guys.”

“Oh! Nothing like that…I mean, we need someone with your expertise.”

“Then say it plain, amigo.” Hector let himself slide into the TV ‘tough latino’ he figured these two expected. “I ain’t got time to sit around.”

“Neither do we.” The bigger one spoke now, and Hector picked up a hint of accept. The kind you heard on those shows on PBS. “Friend Arthur here likes to talk around things. I do not. And I don’t think you do, either, Hector. Or do you prefer Hank?”

“Hector’s fine.”

“Good. Now when Arthur here says we need your expertise, what he means is we need you to help us take care of some business. Business your associate here says may be of personal interest to you.”

Jangles swallowed as Hector shot him a glare. “I didn’t bring it up, man. Honest.”

“In all fairness, he did not.” The big one with the accent smiled, and Hector caught the wolf in his eye. The big one was far more dangerous than he looked. “Friend Arthur contacted him, and once the nature of the business became clear he suggested we meet.”

“So what’s the deal? I ain’t got time for an episode of ‘Perry Mason.’”

“Nor do I.” The smile held a touch of threat this time. “We have an interest in ruining the reputation of a local treatment center. A place called Caitlin’s House.”

“I heard of that place. TV says they work with junkie hookers and clean them up.”

“Yes. Do you know who runs the place?”

“Nope. Just that it’s named for some dead pop singer.” Hector knew a little more than that, mainly from listening to pimps bitch, but better to let these two think he knew nothing.

“That is true. But the man who runs it? Day to day? Sonny Burnett.”

“No shit?” Now Hector was interested. Really interested. “So he goes from running to rehab? How does that work?”

“We don’t know, honestly. And we’d like you to find out. Among other things, of course.”

“So I seen a little bit about this place on TV. You can’t just walk in and nose around.”

“No. It is a secure treatment facility.” The bigger man smiled again. “Rest assured we’re working on that, too.”

The other man tried to pretend he was in control again. “What we need now, Hector, is some assurance you’re interested in the project.”

“Then I need some dollar amounts. I might be interested in Burnett, but that doesn’t mean I work for free.”

“Of course not, Hector. Of course not. We wouldn’t insult your intelligence like that.” It was the big man again, his words pitched to be soothing but that hardness was still in his eyes. “We have a starting figure in mind, with bonuses depending on the nature of the work.” He slid a slip of paper across the table.

Hector turned it over. Years in prison and on the streets had taught him to conceal his reactions, but it was hard this time. One million dollars! They want this bad. “I’m not killing Burnett.”

“Of course not. That’s not the aim of this project. I trust that figure’s acceptable.”

“Sure. When do we start?”

“Soon.” The other man spoke again. “We need to sort out a couple of things first. But we needed to know you were interested before we went any further.”

“I get it. Why waste the time if the heavy lifter ain’t gonna play ball?” Hector grinned. “Jangles and me will leave first in case anyone’s watching the dump.”

“We’ll call friend Juan as soon as we’re ready to proceed. Payment arrangements will be discussed then, too. As you say, we don’t want to waste time or effort if things are not in place.”

Back on the street, Hector started for his car. He could hear Jangles behind him, and waited for the inevitable question. “What was on that paper, man? I thought you was gonna stroke out in there.”

He debated for an instant, then decided. “They offered one million dollars.”

“What? You gotta be shitting me.”

“No, mano. That means they want this bad, whatever it is. We’ll see what they have in mind, but if it gets me close to Burnett it’s all good.” He smiled as they reached his car. “Getting close to Burnett might get me one step closer to Cooper or whoever the hell he really is. We need to get in touch with Ramon again. We might need him for this job. And I want to see if he’s heard anything about Cooper yet.”

Sonny Crockett slammed his hand on the steering wheel of the Daytona as he downshifted and turned into the parking lot of Marshal’s Ribs. “How the hell did she beat us here?” He pointed to the red Challenger, dust still swirling around it and coating the paint.

“Damned if I know, partner.” Rico grinned. “But if I know Trudy, she knows a shortcut and drove like a bat out of hell. She can really make that beast stand up and dance.”

“I know. I know.” Rico could hear the disappointment mixed with envy in his old partner’s voice. “And I still ain’t used to how this girl moves. Been too many years between the first one and this one.” He pulled into a free spot next to the big muscle car and nodded his respects. “You got me this time, Trudy. Next time don’t be so sure.”

Trudy climbed out of the car with a smile on her face. “Big words, Sonny. But I’ll be sure to take you up on it.” She kept smiling as Castillo got out on the passenger side. “Looks like the rest aren’t here yet. Let’s get out of this damned heat.”

Rico was still grinning when they got to their table, a long construction of old barn boards near the back of the main room. Pete Washington came over as soon as they were settled, a pitcher of beer and glasses in hand. “I hear congratulations are in order,” he said with a wide smile as he poured. “Got ribs and burnt ends in the final stages back in the kitchen, an’ all them great sides to go with it.”

Rico nodded. “You’ll be sittin’ with us, Pete. And if you kick up a fuss, I’ll sic Mindy on you.”

“I don’t want none of that.” Pete grinned, looking even more like George Jefferson. “Them red-headed Irish gals got a temper like you can’t believe.” He nodded to Trudy. “Topped only by Overtown’s finest.”

“And don’t you forget it.” Trudy smiled and raised her glass before taking a deep drink.

It wasn’t long before the rest of the crew arrived. Mindy and Gina were next, followed moments later by Stan and Lester. Stan sat down next to Rico, leaning over and stage-whispering, “You gotta let me in on your secret, pal.”

“Practice and more practice, big guy.” Rico laughed and clapped Stan on the shoulder. “Persistence is everything.”

“Yeah, I’ll bet.” Stan chuckled and returned the shoulder slap. “We’re thinking about kids now. Now that we’re…”

“Used to each other.” Rico finished the sentence with a smile. “Same thing we did.” He looked at the rest of the table. “It still doesn’t feel real, you know?”

“Yeah.” Stan nodded. “You never knew with Angelia, did you?”

“Not like this. And then bam. It was gone again.”

“You’ll be a good dad, buddy. Not like my asshole of a dad.”

“My pops ain’t no bed of roses, either. Neither is Mindy’s.”

Stan shook his head. “Sometimes I think it’s better that way. You know what mistakes not to make because someone made them with you.” He drained his beer in a single long gulp and poured another. “I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to get all messy with Pete’s damned good barbecue.”

The rest of the night was hazy for Ricardo Tubbs, a blur of good wishes, good food, and good alcohol. Pete came with them to Sanctuary, leaving the restaurant in the capable hands of a woman who reminded Rico of Angie from Caitlin’s House. “Ain’t gonna be no trouble with me here, Pete,” she said in a firm voice as she glared at one of the bartenders. “You can bet on that.” Once they got to Sanctuary, Robbie laid it on thick, announcing it was time for a celebration and taking over the back corner of the club. “You only get to do this once, Rico,” he said with a grin. “Your first kid. It’s a special time. Hell, you gotta enjoy it. I been where you are, man. You’re gonna do great. If a screw-up like me can do it, you got this made.”

The next thing Rico knew a laser dagger was stabbing him right through his slitted left eye, burning its way from one side of his brain to the other. Groaning, he shifted and came partway awake, realizing the dagger was a single beam of sunlight coming through the bedroom curtains of Casa Cooper. Something had died in his mouth, gluing his tongue to the roof of his mouth and the whole bed tilted just off center when he tried to roll over to escape the laser light.

“I was wondering when you’d wake up.” Mindy sat in bed next to him, the sheets falling away from her freckled breasts. “Robbie can throw a hell of a party when he puts his mind to it.”

“What time…” He tried to focus on the red digits of the bedside clock and gave it up as soon as the clock started rotating.

“Just after ten. You already missed Scooby-Doo, but if you hurry you might catch the Jetsons on channel six.” She smiled and ran a finger along his forehead.

Sighing, he sank back in the bed. “Let me guess. Trudy got out the tequila.”

“She did.” Mindy giggled. “I only had three drinks. Seems there’s some new thing out about not drinking when you’re pregnant, and Robbie cut me off pretty quick. You and Trudy started doing shots after the fourth pitcher. Then she roped Pete in.”

“Pete?”

“A mistake on her part.” Mindy smiled. “I tried to warn her. Pete’s an old school lawman. He can drink anyone under the table, no matter what poison you pour. His words, not mine. At the end of the night he and Marty were trading shots of some nasty Asian stuff Robbie had hidden away talking about the war. Sonny and Robbie were doing the same thing over that bourbon Robbie got him started on.” She giggled again. “But you did miss Stan breaking into ‘Heartbreak Hotel.’”

“No. I remember that. Lester and his girl were doing harmony, right?”

“That’s right. She’s a sweet one.”

Rico nodded, regretting moving his head the moment he did. “Lester’s due. He’s a good cat.”

Mindy got out of bed, her naked body highlighted by the strands of light sneaking past the blinds. “I’ll go start coffee. You look like you need some.”

Watching her walk out of the room, Rico smiled through his growing headache. He never got tired of looking at her. Each time it was almost like he was seeing her for the first time, with that same glow and feeling of wonder. The pain in his head seemed to recede just a bit, and he forced himself to sit up. Slowly, but still upright. At least it was Saturday.

By the time he managed to sit up without the room starting to spin Mindy was back with coffee and aspirin. “You looked like you’d need some,” she said with a small smile as she sat down next to him.

“Gotta say you were right.” He accepted the coffee and white pills with a grin of his own. “And I also gotta say I wouldn’t care if you ran around like that all day.”

“Good. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to wear.” She ran her hand along his thigh. “You think you can stomach some toast?”

“Yeah.” He washed the aspirin down with a mouthful of coffee, closing his eyes and steadying his stomach against the lurch. “Give me a minute and I’ll come help. Or at least watch.”

“Now I know you can’t be that hung over.”

“Oh, I am, pretty lady. But Ricardo Tubbs is a man of many talents.” He took another sip of coffee. “Maybe not perfect balance right now, but…”

“I’ll be making toast.” She smiled and got to her feet, turning so he could see every freckle on her pale skin before walking toward the door.

He’d almost made it to his feet when she returned with a plate and another cup of coffee. “I was going to wait, but I didn’t want to come in here and find you on the floor.”

“Yeah…it was kinda close.” He smiled and waited for her to sit down next to him. “You know…I could just look at you all day.”

“Better enjoy it while you can. I’ll be big as a house soon.”

“And still the most beautiful lady in Miami. Hell, at least in Miami.” He smiled and nibbled at a corner of one of the pieces of toast, relieved that his stomach didn’t send it all over the bed as soon as he swallowed. Maybe there is hope. “I mean that, Mindy.”

“It hasn’t really sunk in yet, you know? Well, maybe last night when they didn’t let me have more than those three drinks.” She shifted, letting him see more of her but at the same time letting her thick red hair slip across her face, hiding her eyes. “It…I just don’t know.”

“It’s what we wanted, isn’t it? What you wanted. And what I wanted.”

“Yes. I’m happy. But at the same time…”

“Yeah. It’s different. Things are changing. I’ll be with you every step of the way, Mindy. You can count on that. No matter what.” He nibbled more toast, wanting to touch her but not quite sure.

“I know. I’m…I’m sorry. It’s all just starting to hit me, you know?” She touched her stomach. “That there’s something…someone…inside me. I never really thought about it, I guess. Too busy being a tomboy. A deputy. All those things. And I don’t know…”

“Stan told me something really smart last night. Cause I’m scared, too. My pops wasn’t the best, and he said that’s good. Cause we know what NOT to do. Guys like Sonny…with the story-book dads. They think it all just happens. We know it doesn’t.” Reaching over, he squeezed her hand. “We’ll do the best we can, pretty lady. I don’t doubt that for a second.”

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...