Star Trek

Vincent Hanna

I'm a newbie to Trek, was listening to Red Letter Media vids on Youtube and their enthusiasm for Trek sparked my interest in the series.

So far I've seen the first season of the Original Series and it really is amazing. No wonder it's so beloved over 50 years later. :D I really like Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future where all the characters are self assure and don't have any internal conflicts. The crew of the Enterprise are professionals who are extremely competent at what they do. It's very Mann-esque. I saw a clips of Star Trek: Picard and those characters wallowing in nihilism and self-pity made me appreciate the optimism of TOS that much more.

All of the cast is great. Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley have really good chemistry together. You can believe Kirk and Spock are excellent leaders by the way they carry themselves. The writing is fantastic, there's a nice mixture of action, humour and poignant sci-fi stories. The minimalistic sets are really cool, the colourful lighting and sets reminded me a lot of Vice.

After TOS I'll check out TNG which a lot of people seem to love too so I'm excited. The other shows don't really look that appealing or have the same charm as the older shows but I'll try them out too.:thumbsup: (7 seasons of TNG might take awhile though. :wuerg:) But it's really fun so far.

Be aware that Next Generation takes until about season 3 to really find it's voice, about when Riker grows his beard, maybe. A lot of people didn't like it at first, but when it gets good, it gets really good. 

• Like 1

Yah It'll be interesting to see how the show evolves over time. I read that season 3 of TOS gets quite bad too so I'm ready for the shenanigans ;)

That depends on your taste. There are some very good eps in s3 imo. That's been a knock on the show for years but if someone watches the entire series without ever hearing that, they don't usually come to that conclusion. The 3rd season also gets a stigma because the only reason there was a 3rd is because of a massive fan campaign of letters, calls, complaints etc. to keep it on the air. The network actually wanted to cancel in the 2nd season if they had their way.

• Like 1

I also recommend the animated series from the 70s which has the original actors doing voice work. It can serve as a season 4 or 3.5 and has some good stories as well.

I was surprised by how consistent S1 was, expected it to be wildly uneven but almost everything was good or at least you could tell they tried. Saw the title of one of the S3 episodes "Spock's Brain" and kinda know what it's going to be about. :) But it's fine, I'd rather watch something that's silly bad rather than boring.

The animated series sounds interesting too but there's so much stuff to watch it's very overwhelming. :D I'll concentrate on TOS for the moment.

I too am a Star Trek fan.  I am old enough to remember watching the original when it aired.  I especially enjoyed Roddenberry's vision of a future where we as a species got along with each other.  This series was on during the exciting times of the Apollo missions. I wanted to grow up and go to Starfleet Academy and fly to other worlds. I was very much in to putting together models and I had many Trek models.  This series was great escapism for one hour each week.  I do have favorite episodes.  "The Trouble with Tribbles" "The Doomsday Machine" "The Balance of Terror" "Mirror, Mirror" "The City on the Edge of Forever"  and "Space Seed".  

As for the animated series I felt it was very good, even though it was on during Saturday morning cartoons, it was never childest.  

When TNG premiered I was curious if the magic that was the original could happen again. And I was not disappointed.  Loved the series.  So to Vincent Hanna all I can say is enjoy the Trek ride. 

• Like 1

My favourite episode so far was "Errand of Mercy" where the Klingons invade and occupy the planet Organia, Kirk and Spock beam down and try to lead a resistance against the enemy forces but the Organians refuse to fight. Kirk is disgusted by their cowardice, "I'm not going to die for you people". But then we learn this civilisation is extremely more advanced than the Humans AND the Klingons. These aliens "Who are more evolved from humans as the human is from amoeba" scold Kirk and the Klingon General dude like they were children, asks them both to kindly stop fighting and leave their planet in separate directions. The End. :D

"Space Speed" where Khan tries to hi-jack the Enterprise was cool too. "Arena" the famous one where Kirk fights the Gorn lizard dude.:thumbsup: Loved it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Since you're new to Trek you may or may not know that the show was originally cancelled after 2 seasons. Thousands of fans started a campaign,  writing to NBC and the show was brought back for a 3rd season.   Something I strongly doubt would work in this day and age.

7 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Since you're new to Trek you may or may not know that the show was originally cancelled after 2 seasons. Thousands of fans started a campaign,  writing to NBC and the show was brought back for a 3rd season.   Something I strongly doubt would work in this day and age.

Yes I did read that thanks. :thumbsup: Apparently they were doing well in the key demos too so they probably wouldn't have even been cancelled if they were in the same boat today. :(

• Administrators
On 7/29/2020 at 8:22 AM, Ferrariman said:

Thanks, I never knew that. I saw the reruns late 70’s to early 80’s. Wasn’t yet born when they originally aired. Just as good now as when I saw them and when they originally aired I suspect.

Just watching the Six Million Dollar Man the other day. One of my childhood favorites and William Shatner was the guest star. Burning Bright was the name of the ep and he was an astronaut too. 

Another piece of trivia.  Lucille Ball  was the CEO of the studio that gave the green light to produce this series.  When the idea was given to her by the creators she mistakenly thought the show was going to be a variety show staring the top Hollywood performers of the day.  Little did she know she was responsible for producing an enduring classic. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...