Top Ten Favorite TV Shows

AndrewRemington

I couldn’t find this topic anywhere, so let’s get started! What are your top ten favorite tv shows? I feel like I’m forgetting something, but this is what I came up with!

1. Miami Vice

2. Seinfeld

3. The Simpsons (until about season 15)

4. Twin Peaks

5. The X-Files

6. Tales From The Crypt

7. Twilight Zone (original series, but 80’s version was good too)

8. The Office (U.S. version)

9. My So-Called Life

10. Cheers

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 2

Miami Vice

Mad Men

The Twilight Zone ('60s)

Batman ('60s)

The Green Hornet

Columbo

The Avengers (with Diana Rigg and Patrick Mcnee)

The Saint

The A-Team

Star Trek TOS

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vincent Hanna said:

Miami Vice

Mad Men

The Twilight Zone ('60s)

Batman ('60s)

The Green Hornet

Columbo

The Saint

The A-Team

Star Trek TOS

I’ve always wanted to watch Mad Men but haven’t seen it yet. Star Trek TOS is great too! I was debating on putting in on my list.

1. Miami Vice

2. Twin Peaks

3. Better Call Saul

4. Breaking Bad

5. Dark (2017-2020)

6. Monk

7. Cheers

8. X-Files

9. Crime Scene Investigation (The Grissom one)

10. The Prisoner (1967)

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

I can give a list of ten but I am torn as to my number one.  So here is my list.

Miami Vice

Remington Steele

Star Trek TOS

Mission Impossible

CSI

Seinfeld

The X Files

The Avengers

Columbo

Starsky and Hutch

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
On 7/6/2020 at 12:29 PM, Vincent Hanna said:

Miami Vice

Mad Men

The Twilight Zone ('60s)

Batman ('60s)

The Green Hornet

Columbo

The Saint

The A-Team

Star Trek TOS

I started watching “Mad Men” about a month or two ago, almost to the end of season 2! I love it! I really dig the setting, time period, characters, etc. However, as we go into the 60’s, I’m sure that’s bound to change... it may still be a great show, but I’m very fond of that time period of 50’s into mid 60s. Seems like such a idyllic time. I know we’ve progressed with social and human rights, but I really love that time period. Things still aren’t perfect, but I’d love to experience living then. The music, the TV, the fashion, the cars... the atmosphere, etc. I’d love to wear a suit everywhere and see everybody dressed to the nines everyday but it seems I get ridiculed for that. I wear a suit when I work, but hardly anybody else does. Nobody even wears a suit to church anymore. I guess it all depends on who you were and what you did. I know my grandparents wore jeans and etc in the 50s... But they were farmers.

I think it’s very interesting and unique for “Mad Men” to take place when it did but give such a gritty portrayal of the time. I mean, it’s glamorous, but all of the cheating and etc. It kind of makes me think of David Lynch with an idyllic setting but there’s corruption below the surface. It’s definitely a “slow burn” type of show, where things slowly build momentum. I really like that it was aired on AMC, as it does have adult situations and language, but it’s not over-the-top like it was on HBO.

• Like 1

In no particular order...

The Shield

Justified

Vice

The Unit

Wild Wild West

NCIS LA

Gunsmoke (the black and white episodes at least...it started drifting once the color era started)

Blue Bloods

Scooby Doo (anything prior to Scrappy...after that forget it)

My Name is Earl

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

In no particular order...

The Shield

Justified

Vice

The Unit

Wild Wild West

NCIS LA

Gunsmoke (the black and white episodes at least...it started drifting once the color era started)

Blue Bloods

Scooby Doo (anything prior to Scrappy...after that forget it)

My Name is Earl

I would never have thought to put Scooby Doo on the list, but the early episodes as you stated, along with the old Warner Bros. Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies are cartoons that I’ll still stop and watch if I come across them.  That seems to happen far less frequently than in years past.  I feel like I want to go search out a few of my favorites right now!

I need some more time for my list now. :p

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrewRemington said:

I started watching “Mad Men” about a month or two ago, almost to the end of season 2! I love it! I really dig the setting, time period, characters, etc. However, as we go into the 60’s, I’m sure that’s bound to change... it may still be a great show, but I’m very fond of that time period of 50’s into mid 60s. Seems like such a idyllic time. I know we’ve progressed with social and human rights, but I really love that time period. Things still aren’t perfect, but I’d love to experience living then. The music, the TV, the fashion, the cars... the atmosphere, etc. I’d love to wear a suit everywhere and see everybody dressed to the nines everyday but it seems I get ridiculed for that. I wear a suit when I work, but hardly anybody else does. Nobody even wears a suit to church anymore. I guess it all depends on who you were and what you did. I know my grandparents wore jeans and etc in the 50s... But they were farmers.

I think it’s very interesting and unique for “Mad Men” to take place when it did but give such a gritty portrayal of the time. I mean, it’s glamorous, but all of the cheating and etc. It kind of makes me think of David Lynch with an idyllic setting but there’s corruption below the surface. It’s definitely a “slow burn” type of show, where things slowly build momentum. I really like that it was aired on AMC, as it does have adult situations and language, but it’s not over-the-top like it was on HBO.

Corruption in high places can happen in any era.  It’s also not unusual to look back at previous eras with rose colored glasses, based on something appealing and ignoring or being unaware of the problems.  That’s the entire premise of the film Midnight in Paris.  

You might like it.  Hopefully not giving  anything big away, but a modern writer is enamored of the literary and art scene of Paris in the 20’s, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Eliot, Picasso, Dali, etc...  Long story short, he’s able to travel back in time and meet them but learns how they feel about their time versus the past.  

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

@Robbie C. that is a fine list, Sir. Maybe the post of the week. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I still hold some grudges about how both The Unit and My Name is Earl were cancelled without closing out the show properly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pahonu said:

Corruption in high places can happen in any era.  It’s also not unusual to look back at previous eras with rose colored glasses, based on something appealing and ignoring or being unaware of the problems.  That’s the entire premise of the film Midnight in Paris.  

You might like it.  Hopefully not giving  anything big away, but a modern writer is enamored of the literary and art scene of Paris in the 20’s, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Eliot, Picasso, Dali, etc...  Long story short, he’s able to travel back in time and meet them but learns how they feel about their time versus the past.  

Very true, and it’s not just the corruption, what I was referring to with things not being perfect in that era were race, gender, and sexuality related, lol. But in any time, there are struggles for anybody. And maybe 50 years from now, 2020 will seem like Heaven to somebody. Who knows? Haha. It definitely is hard not to want to travel back in time. It’s tough to live in a era where you don’t like the fashions, music, film, hardly any TV, cars, world events. Hindsight is always 20/20, though. Maybe if I lived in the 80s I would have hated the modern music and MV, who knows?

Thank you for mentioned “Midnight in Paris”! I haven’t seen that but it sounds very interesting! I am a big art fan and 20’s is definitely an intriguing era as well!

2 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

Very true, and it’s not just the corruption, what I was referring to with things not being perfect in that era were race, gender, and sexuality related, lol. But in any time, there are struggles for anybody. And maybe 50 years from now, 2020 will seem like Heaven to somebody. Who knows? Haha. It definitely is hard not to want to travel back in time. It’s tough to live in a era where you don’t like the fashions, music, film, hardly any TV, cars, world events. Hindsight is always 20/20, though. Maybe if I lived in the 80s I would have hated the modern music and MV, who knows?

Thank you for mentioned “Midnight in Paris”! I haven’t seen that but it sounds very interesting! I am a big art fan and 20’s is definitely an intriguing era as well!

I think you’ll definitely enjoy the movie then. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pahonu said:

I think you’ll definitely enjoy the movie then. 

That sentence is banned from this forum :) :) :) 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2021 at 5:25 PM, AndrewRemington said:

I finished all of "Mad Men" about a month ago! It was very, very good! I definitely didn't approve of everything Don did. I mean, throughout the whole show you wanna slap some sense into him, but you also really feel his struggle with his past and struggle to find himself. This was truly a masterpiece of a show!

I also want to add a bit about my previous opinion. As you all may know, I've been obsessed with the 80's since I was a little kid, and I also love the 50's and early 60's, but lately I've been really getting into the mid-late 60's again, mostly the music. I was very into this era some years ago when I was with my ex-girlfriend, but after that I kind of put it away... But that's no reason to not listen to that great music again! "Mad Men" featured a lot of great 60's tunes. I heard "Reach out in the Darkness" by Friend & Lover and it gave me such goosebumps. I hadn't heard that song since I was a little kid on oldies radio. Sometime within the last ten-fifteen years or so, they really phased out 60's music from oldies stations. I didn't realize how much I missed it. It makes me feel nostalgic from when I was younger.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 5:28 PM, AndrewRemington said:

I finished all of "Mad Men" about a month ago! It was very, very good! I definitely didn't approve of everything Don did. I mean, throughout the whole show you wanna slap some sense into him, but you also really feel his struggle with his past and struggle to find himself. This was truly a masterpiece of a show!

I also want to add a bit about my previous opinion. As you all may know, I've been obsessed with the 80's since I was a little kid, and I also love the 50's and early 60's, but lately I've been really getting into the mid-late 60's again, mostly the music. I was very into this era some years ago when I was with my ex-girlfriend, but after that I kind of put it away... But that's no reason to not listen to that great music again! "Mad Men" featured a lot of great 60's tunes. I heard "Reach out in the Darkness" by Friend & Lover and it gave me such goosebumps. I hadn't heard that song since I was a little kid on oldies radio. Sometime within the last ten-fifteen years or so, they really phased out 60's music from oldies stations. I didn't realize how much I missed it. It makes me feel nostalgic from when I was younger.

I went through the Mad Men series a couple months ago. For a vintage set time-period show, it was very well done! I too did not like or agree with a lot Don Draper did...but he was definitely an interesting if not bizarre character that seemed to captivate you. However, I’ll be honest and say I didn’t really like or care for the last season, nor the finale. I was kind of disappointed. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

This is hard for me to just choose 10, but here’s my list...in no particular order (this is just 10 of my favorites...I love & have many more than just these):

1) Miami Vice 

2) Hunter

3) Silk Stalkings

4) Magnum, p.i.-(original)

5) Hawaii Five-0-(original & reboot)

6) Perry Mason-(original)

7) Charlie’s Angels 

8) Knight Rider

9) CSI

10) Criminal Minds 

Can I say Miami Vice ten times?:p

Of that time period I would include:

• CrimeStory
  • 21 Jump Street
  • Our Family Honor
  • Hill Street Blues

A little later in the 90ies:

• Homicide: life on the street
  • The X-files
  • Buffy

Not ten but they're the shows I watched religiously.

I was hooked on Game of Thrones until the disappointing (to me) final season.

Also I loved The Walking Dead at first but I stopped watching a while ago.

• Like 1

Miami Vice

The Prisoner

Buffy

Angel

Supernatural

Star Trek (TOS)

Avengers (Rigg and McNee  era)

Line of Duty

Old Grey Whistle Test

Most Scandi-noir (Wallander etc.)

Life On Mars

Ashes to Ashes

I know that's 12 but I couldn't miss those last two off!

Edited by wolfie1996
  • Like 1