Episodes You Hated The First Time But Grew On You

AndrewRemington

I thought this would be a fun topic. When I first watched Miami Vice all the way from beginning to end, there were a number of episodes I didn’t care for, but after watching them again and again, they grew on me. “Made for Each Other” and “Cuba Libre” are two that come to mind. 

“Made For Each Other” was really just too screwbally for me the first time. And I remember trying to watch this episode probably five times and every time I’d fall asleep! But I grew to love the episode. I love Jan Hammer’s music on this. Stan, Larry, Izzy and Noogie all make the episode fun and enjoyable. I also really dig the Elvis tunes! “Treat Me Nice” is one of my favorites by him. It’s from his “Jailhouse Rock” movie.

”Cuba Libre” was just boring and hard to follow for me the first time. I just didn’t get into it. But subsequent viewings were much more favorable! I really love the intro sequence with Bob Seger’s “Miami”! Great tune!

• Like 6

Some of the later S5 episodes aren't as bad as I remembered them. Too Much Too Late, Over the Line, Victims of Circumstance, The Lost Madonna. When I first watched MV, I binge watched the whole show and it was around Cell Within where I tapped out and was ready for it to end. :eek:

Still haven't seen Miracle Man and don't wish too in this lifetime. :D

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

@Vincent Hanna Don’t forget “Fruit of the Poison Tree” :D 

Think that's the one with the Honey Bunny from Pulp Fiction? It was alright I guess.;)

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

“Fruit of the Poison Tree”

25 minutes ago, Vincent Hanna said:

Think that's the one with the Honey Bunny from Pulp Fiction? It was alright I guess.;)

At least you pardoned my “grew on you” pun :p

Edited by Dadrian

4 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

At least you pardoned my “grew on you” pun :p

Oh..I only just got it..:)

Edited by Vincent Hanna
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Vincent Hanna said:

To me she’ll always be the psycho bride from Tales From The Crypt “Lover Come Hack to Me”!

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vincent Hanna said:

Oh..I only just got it..:)

I would have been worried about you if you did :) 

• Like 1

I wouldn't say I hated it but I had no time for "Hard Knocks" to begin with. Now it's an episode I really enjoy. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

I rewatched “Viking Bikers From Hell” and really enjoyed it! I wasn’t a fan before, but I thought it was a really cool episode this time around!

I really love Jan Hammer’s score for this. The title track sounds a lot like a Depeche Mode track or something. I honestly didn’t even think it was Jan Hammer! And we hear “Rain” again, which is one of my favorite Jan Hammer songs!

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 2

Been rewatching the series and am about halfway through season 4. I've changed my score for season 3 from 7/10 to 8/10. Though I'll admit I prefer the sillier second half of the season than the more series first half (with the exception of El Viejo, Irish eyes, and Shadow, as they're all perfect 10/10 eps, IMO). As for season 4, I was definitely a little harsh on it the first go round, giving it only a 2/10 overall, but so far I'm willing to bump it up to a 4/10. Favorite s4 eps so far are "Death and the Lady", "Love at First Sight", and "Child's Play". "Rising Sun of Death" is pretty good too.

Oh, and dare I say it, as bad as it is, I kinda like "Missing Hours", but only cuz it's a Trudy-centered episode, and it's got Chris Rock and The Godfather of Soul in it. What can I say, I love bad/good movies like Troll 2, The Room, Toxic Avenger, and Samurai Cop. So I like ridiculous entertainment lol.

• Haha 2

• 6 months later...

First time I watched the whole series from start to finish was during the 90s re-runs as teenager. I got bits and pieces when my dad was watching it on TV during the 80s original run and i couldn't really understand what was going on in the show episodes. I was more into shows like the A-team and knight-rider which catered for a younger demographic.

I used to prefer those episodes with more gun fights, car chases and senseless action over the more subtle, cerebral and story driven ones.

"Vote of confidence" (the real life inspired scandal of gubernatorial candidate Tom Pierce) and "forgive our debts" (you learn about Crockett past and previous history with Hackman), just to cite the best, are the ones really grew on me over time after re-watching them over again when I got older. I got a better appreciation for the more complex, political driven and plot stories showing more character depth and back stories. Other noteworthy episodes that I didn't enjoy enjoy at first but got to like better and better each time are 'shadow in the dark', 'Hell hath no fury' and 'honor among thieves'.

I can't stop cringing at the 'cows of October' and 'the big thaw'....never liked and I never will 'like a hurricane'. An undercover cop marrying a pop star?! seriously?!

Edited by sdiegolo78

On 7/15/2020 at 1:45 PM, Tom said:

Miami Squeeze and Vote of confidence grew on me.

I got to like 'vote of confidence' over time and it's a great episode. Especially the funny scene at the start, during the police raid when Crockett find Pierce trousers down and burst into laugh in front of him and Tubbs. I love Miami Squeeze too, one of my favorites from Season 5. Great story and soundtrack.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 4:09 PM, TylerDurden389 said:

Been rewatching the series and am about halfway through season 4. I've changed my score for season 3 from 7/10 to 8/10. Though I'll admit I prefer the sillier second half of the season than the more series first half (with the exception of El Viejo, Irish eyes, and Shadow, as they're all perfect 10/10 eps, IMO). As for season 4, I was definitely a little harsh on it the first go round, giving it only a 2/10 overall, but so far I'm willing to bump it up to a 4/10. Favorite s4 eps so far are "Death and the Lady", "Love at First Sight", and "Child's Play". "Rising Sun of Death" is pretty good too.

Oh, and dare I say it, as bad as it is, I kinda like "Missing Hours", but only cuz it's a Trudy-centered episode, and it's got Chris Rock and The Godfather of Soul in it. What can I say, I love bad/good movies like Troll 2, The Room, Toxic Avenger, and Samurai Cop. So I like ridiculous entertainment lol.

For "Missing hours" is utterly ludicrous, I like it more than 'The cows of October' and 'the big thaw'...

• Like 1

I have to say that I thought "Amen, Send Money" was terrible my first viewing.  I seem to enjoy it more and more every time I watch it.  It was a pretty good take on the televangelist circus, Robert Tilton, etc.  Good guest stars and locations.  Out of the "silly" episodes of S4, I think this is the best.

• Like 1

I think we also need a "Episodes you hated the first time and you still do" thread.

Missing hours, Leap of Faith and Junk Love I can watch as often as I want, but they ain´t gonna get better, rather worse....:p

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

I have to say that I thought "Amen, Send Money" was terrible my first viewing.  I seem to enjoy it more and more every time I watch it.  It was a pretty good take on the televangelist circus, Robert Tilton, etc.  Good guest stars and locations.  Out of the "silly" episodes of S4, I think this is the best.

'Amen, send the money' was nice to watch just because of Brian Dennehy. And yes, i agree it was the best among the worst episodes of S4.

36 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think we also need a "Episodes you hated the first time and you still do" thread.

Missing hours, Leap of Faith and Junk Love I can watch as often as I want, but they ain´t gonna get better, rather worse....:p

'Junk love' in my opinion is big a long shot far superior than the other two you mentioned. Better story and it deals with incest.

vor 1 Minute schrieb sdiegolo78:

'Junk love' in my opinion is big a long shot far superior than the other two you mentioned. Better story and it deals with incest.

Junk love has a story? Never noticed that....:p

• Haha 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

I agree with this. I din’t like it at all at first but I don now. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 8:45 AM, Tom said:

Miami Squeeze and Vote of confidence grew on me.

I don't really like "Vote of Confidence", but at least I understand it now.  When I was younger I didn't "get" it.  After following politics for a while (the dealmaking aspect, not the ideological aspect) and seeing more of life as I grow older, the ep resonates a lot more with me.

• Like 3