1972: Young Don Johnson!

ViceFanMan

This is a clip I found on YouTube of Don Johnson guest-starring in a 1972 episode (“Endtheme”) of The Bold Ones: The New Doctors (1969-1973). I’ve never seen the show before (although I’ve heard of it), nor this full episode. But Don is pretty young...and singing! :radio: 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, timm525 said:

I saw him at about 14-15 in a Kung Fu episode. Surprised me.

Yes, he played a Native American boy.  I’ve seen it, but he wasn’t that young.  The episode was in the early 70’s and he was born at the end of 1949.  He did look quite young though.  I don’t believe he acted in anything in Hollywood until after a year at KU then studying acting in San Francisco.  So maybe when he was 20, about 1970. 

• Like 1

I just looked it up on IMDB.  His first role was the lead in a 1970 film called The Magic Garden of Stanley Sweetheart.  It’s apparently based on a 60’s novel about the sexual coming of age of a young film school dropout in New York.  The Bold Ones episode was his 5th role and the Kung Fu episode in 1973 was shortly after that.  He was almost 24.  He really did look young!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pahonu said:

Yes, he played a Native American boy.  I’ve seen it, but he wasn’t that young.  The episode was in the early 70’s and he was born at the end of 1949.  He did look quite young though.  I don’t believe he acted in anything in Hollywood until after a year at KU then studying acting in San Francisco.  So maybe when he was 20, about 1970. 

Yes, his family moved to Wichita, Kansas when he was little, and I think he was raised there...graduating from Wichita South High. He then went to KU in Lawrence for a year or two. Although Don rarely acknowledges his Kansas ties anymore  (not that I’ve heard anyway), in the past I’ve read he credited a drama professor/coach at KU back then for getting him truly interested & acclimated into acting...& basically started in the acting profession. A few times the city of Wichita (as was Salina once if I remember correctly) was mentioned in MV, but usually in a joking or sarcastic way. :p But, Don did wear a KU shirt in the Freefall finale. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/22/2020 at 7:48 PM, CrockettOnTheShore said:

Amazing! Never seen DJ from this era before!

"Wankers....the BBC is full of them" said Terry Wogan and he never spoke a truer word :)

• 8 months later...

.....:freeze:
EEwwww--ugh.  That outfit, the hair---that's just a yucky role.  

How did I get through the 70's with so much yuck.  Oh, my eyes!
No, stop---Don hurry up and take this gun.  Here!  Practice with it.  It's empty, so it's alright----you're too young to understand now, but you NEED this.  It's going to make you famous one day.  Take it NOW--trust me!