No Good Deed...Part XVIII

Robbie C.

He hated telling Jenny he was staying late at the House, but Sonny wanted to make this visit alone. He could see the red memory of the sun on the horizon as he walked to the pure white tombstones, and he held the white roses so no red touched them. The last thing he needed was a reminder of blood.

The tombstone was warm to his touch, the day’s heat not quite pulled out by the freshening breeze. Normally he came while there was still more light, but this didn’t feel like a daylight conversation.

“I know you mean well, Cait.” His voice was low, choked every other word by the feelings welling up in his chest and seeking their own freedom. “I get that you want to warn me. But it’s making Jenny nuts.” He paused again, seeing the name Will marking the son he’d never know. “I still love you, darlin’, but I love her, too. And I can’t stand to see her like this.”

Looking up, he saw the ghost of a sailboat slipping over the calm water, its running lights blinking red and green as its sails caught the breeze. “We know someone’s coming, but we don’t know who it is. Not yet, anyhow. And I’m not on the force now. That makes it harder. And there’s Rico…he and Mindy are expecting a kid now. I should have told you that earlier. So I gotta watch out for them, too.”

He paused again. “We heard you, darlin’. No one’s ignoring what you say, even if we don’t hear too good. You can let Jenny rest now.” Kneeling down, he laid the flowers in their normal spot by the stones. He spoke of the expansion plans, feeling silly talking to the breeze but knowing he had no choice. She deserved to know what was happening in the house that bore her name. “…and there’s four more girls coming in tomorrow,” he said, finishing up. “That and the expansion so we can deal with more high-risk patients and even boys. It’s hard work, but it’s the best way I know to honor your memory.”

Sighing, he stood up. “I gotta get back, Cait. I love you, and Will, too.”

He left the Dayton’s top down, and the wind whipped at his hair as he drove back to the marina. Sonny didn’t know if he’d just made an ass of himself again, but Jenny was so agitated he had to try something. And he had to admit he’d done it for himself as well as her. It had been too long since he’d visited the graves, and with the week ahead he figured he needed to make the visit while he could.

Downshifting the Daytona, he made the turn and parked in his usual spot in the marina parking lot. Light flowed golden from the salon ports on Tranquility, and he smiled as he walked down the dock. Light meant Jenny was home, awake, and probably in a good mood. The marina was fairly quiet now that the frat boys had been booted from someone’s father’s boat. He could hear snatches of what sounded like Dean Martin floating on the breeze, and knew old man Marlioni was at it again down toward the far end of the dock. He grinned as he walked up the gangplank. Marlioni reminded him of his father in many ways, right down to the bottles of Budweiser and Deano on the stereo.

“I was hoping that was you.” Jenny looked up from the salon table, her eyes bright. “I wasn’t sure how much longer dinner would keep.”

“Yeah…took a bit longer than I’d hoped.” He smiled and unclipped his holstered Smith & Wesson 4506-1 before sinking into the settee and kicking off his shoes. “But with those girls coming in tomorrow I wanted to make sure everything was ready. And…” He debated for a moment, but figured she’d know anyhow. “I wanted to stop by and talk to Cait.”

She nodded but didn’t speak. She was wearing a baggy button-up white cotton shirt he’d tried to throw away until he saw how good she looked in it, and the fabric flowed around her body as she got up and headed across to the galley. “I just heated up the leftovers from last night. I hope you don’t mind.”

“Of course not, darlin’. That sounds great.” He paused again. “I just wanted to tell her…”

“It’s ok, Sonny. You wanted to tell her to stop bothering me.” She forked pasta and sauce onto two plates and shut off the burner before coming back to the table with the food.

“No. I wanted her to know that we’d heard her warning.” Reaching out, he closed his hand over hers. “I wanted her to know she wasn’t being ignored.”

She signed, sitting down in a single, smooth motion. “Thank you.”

“Look, I don’t know how any of this works. If there’s rules or what. I’m just a dumb hick cop over here. But it was really bothering you, and that bothers me. It was the only thing I could think of to do.”

“It’s ok, Sonny. Really.” She looked at him and smiled. “If it helps, I don’t know how any of this works, either. I just know it does. Well, sometimes. There’s no switch I throw. You know, ‘on’ or ‘off.’ It just happens.”

“Yeah. I guess I just hoped she might listen.” He looked down at the plate, finding his own smile again. “Maybe my bad attempt at Italian will taste better the second night.”

“It was great the first night.” She turned her hand palm-up and squeezed his. “Can I come in with you tomorrow?”

“You bet you can, darlin’. The new group needs to see everyone who’s involved in their care. I was gonna ask if you wanted to after we ate.” He spun noodles on his fork and took an experimental bite. “Hell, it does taste better the second day.”

Morning came too soon, but he was glad to see the smile on Jenny’s face as she stretched. The sheet fell away from her upper body, and she giggled as she followed his eyes. “Good morning to you, too.” Leaning over, she kissed him lightly on the lips. “Caitlin said she was sorry.”

“Oh.” The deck felt cool under Sonny’s feet as he got out of bed. He didn’t really know what to say. “Guess my talk worked.”

“That’s what she said.” Jenny kept smiling as she reached across and ran her fingers along the line of his shoulder. “Now let’s take a shower and get ready to go in. Can we stop for breakfast on the way?”

They stopped at a place he’d eaten in quite a bit during his early days in uniform, then less as he switched to plainclothes and rose in rank. But it felt right to look back in now, during his early days out of uniform. That and they had great eggs and served double portions of bacon.

Jenny giggled as she watched him butter his toast. “So you used to come here back when you were just Patrolman Crockett?”

“Yeah. It was a big morning on the town after working midnights.” He grinned, chewing toast and chasing it with a swallow of coffee. “And about all we could afford back then, too. I don’t think anything’s changed in here, either.”

“Even the old guy at the counter?”

“Yeah. He was there then, too. He might have been there when they broke ground to build the place.” Sonny caught the frazzled waitress’ eye and motioned for more coffee. Naw, she’s just tired he reminded himself. Probably the end of an all-night shift for her. He’d seen the look before; in his own eyes when he looked in the bathroom mirror while he changed, trying not to wake Caroline as he got ready for bed just before she had to get up. She always got angry if he woke her up before the alarm went off.

“You’re thinking again.”

“Yeah.” He told her the story, nodding his thanks when the waitress came around with coffee. “Guess I should have seen it that far back. The whole ships passing each other in the night thing.”

“I had a boyfriend like that once. It was right after I got Vellamo and started working. He’d want me to stay at his place, then didn’t get why I had to leave for days at a time. I bet he’s still waiting for me to come back.” She smiled, touching his hand. “That’s why we’re good together. We come from the same place.”

He nodded, chewing bacon and considering his second piece of toast. He knew they had to get going soon, but part of him just wanted to stay in the dingy booth drinking coffee and watching the sun play over Jenny’s thick blonde hair. To just pause time. Funny how it all worked. He’d either been rewinding things like Vietnam or wanting to pause moments like now for the last couple of months. But there was work to do. Work he had to do. Finishing his coffee, he raised a finger for the check. “We’d better get moving. If we’re late, Angie will kill us both.” He could feel the familiar weight of the CS45 on his ankle. He’d locked the bigger .45 in Tranquility’s safe before they left. “And I don’t have anything big enough to stop her if she charges.”

The guard barely gave them a second glance as he hit the button lifting the barrier. He seemed distracted, and Sonny made a note in his head to mention it to Rico when he saw him. Funny. Those guys on the gate are usually on it. He pulled into his parking spot and shut off the Daytona, waiting a moment so he could admire Jenny in her tight black pencil skirt as she got out of the car. Then it was his turn to climb out into the rising heat, feeling a light breeze on his forehead. He was about to say something to Jenny when he noticed the look on her face and turned. Rico had just come out the side door at full speed with what looked like a paper in his hand.

“Hey, Sonny. Jenny. We got problems.”

“Yeah. The guy on the gate…”

Rico stopped. “You haven’t seen it yet, have you?

“Seen what? We had breakfast an’ came straight here.”

Rico handed him the paper, his eyes dark. “This.”

He saw the splashy masthead of the Post, and then his eyes dropped to the big black letters plastered across the width of the page. “Rehab dealer? What the hell is this?”

“Read it.”

He took the paper, unfolding it to reveal a big picture of Angie. It was older, and taken from a distance, but it was still Angie. There was no mistaking her. He read the first few lines, disgust building in his chest. “You’ve got to be shitting me…”

“I don’t know how the hell they dug it up, Sonny. But it’s true. Part of it, at least.”

Jenny’s voice was a tight snarl. “Angie’s a good person. I…”

Sonny touched her shoulder. “I know. Let’s go inside and see what Rico found out.” He turned back to Tubbs. “How long has this been out?”

“They dropped it early. Early enough to have at least ten reporters burning up the lines for comment. I think it made two of the local morning shows, and it’ll be all over the noon news.”

As they walked toward the side door, Sonny could feel the pivot taking place in his head. His confusion, anger, everything turning into a cold, clear focus. Without realizing it he slipped on his Ray Bans and ran a hand over hair already pulled into the tight Burnett ponytail. When they were inside he spoke in a voice that was flat and distant. “What do we know?”

Rico led them to his office. “We know part of it’s true. I already talked to Angie. She’s in one of the therapy rooms and she’s taking it hard. Says she let girlfriend, Blondie, and Little Blondie down. I’ve got one of the psych nurses in with her now just in case.”

“Good. What part of this shit is true?” He tossed the paper on the desk.

“She was picked up for dealing crack. Something like fifteen years ago. I put in a call to Narcotics and John Vallencio. He dug it up and said she didn’t have much weight, and worked with them to take down the next link in the dealer chain. He figured she was just trying to make ends meet the only way she knew how. Right after that she got hired on by Caitlin somehow and never went near any of it again.”

“He’s sure?”

“You know John, partner. He’s sure.”

“You don’t think Angie…”

“No, darlin’. I don’t. But I also don’t want any surprises. I’m going after those bastards at the Post, and I don’t want then to have any more ammunition hidden away somewhere.” He turned back to Rico. “Is Gina in yet?”

“Yeah. She’s doing damage control.”

“Get her down here.” Turning, he stared at the paper.

Gina’s thick dark hair was mussed, and her eyes were red from crying. “Sonny…I…”

“Don’t worry about it.” He watched Jenny step around the desk and slip her arm around Gina’s shoulders. Not too long ago that would never have happened. “I want you to set up a press conference for 1100. I want the noon news to have clips to run.”

“How…how many reporters?”

“Anyone who wants to show up.” He paused. “Including the Post.” He turned back to Rico. “Did that piece of gator shit run with a byline?”

“Nope. Just ‘staff.’ But they did credit the photo to our old friend Jimmy.”

“If they’re dumb enough to send him, have him arrested for violating the restraining order.” He turned back to Gina. “How’s Angie?”

“Bad. She really feels like she let everyone down. She’s always so tough…”

“I’ll talk to her. She doesn’t need to be at the conference. In fact it might be better if she’s not.” He could feel the gears clicking into place in his mind, meshing with what he knew. “This is their opening shot. Someone’s trying to get us off balance. It’s what I’d do. Rico, have your people on higher alert.”

“Even the new guy?”

“What new guy?”

“Dave’s nephew. Trudy said he’s in town and between jobs and could use a few hours.”

Sonny thought for a moment, his mind reeling back to their hunt for Doc. “Yeah. Especially him. He’s gonna have good tradecraft. He checked in yet?”

“Yeah. He’s getting fitted for a uniform now.” Rico grinned. “And he’s got a stainless steel cannon just like you.”

“Shows he comes prepared.” Sonny’s grin was thin and short. “I’ll talk to Angie first and then him.” He thought for a moment. “His name’s Steve, isn’t it?”

“Yeah.”

Gina cleared her throat. “I’ll walk you you to Angie, Sonny. Then I’ll start making calls.” She sniffed again and rubbed her nose with her forefinger. “Do you still want the new girls…”

“Yes. Nothing changes because of this. I want reception and everything else to run just like normal. We’ll keep the press outside, away from the facility.”

Rico nodded. “We’ll get something set up, Sonny. Don’t worry.”

Jenny spoke up. “I’ll help sort out reception. Rico’s gonna have his hands full with everything else. I might grab Trudy, too.”

The therapy rooms in Caitlin’s House were identical and as different as could be. Identical in size, but decorated differently depending on the intended use. Some had bright photos on the walls while others had more subdued lighting and a few stuffed animals close by the comfortable chairs. Sonny understood; many of the girls who came to the House had been hurt early and often, and the big teddy bears saw frequent use.

Angie sat on one of the overstuffed chairs in the corner of the room, looking out a window at a portion of the manicured yard that hadn’t been marked for the addition. Her tiger-print dress was rumpled, and her makeup was sliding down her face where she’d been crying. At the sound of the door she looked up, dabbing at her eyes with a tissue already dyed the colors of a rainbow by eyeliner and foundation. “Blondie! Angie didn’t mean for nothin’…”

“It’s ok, Angie. It was a long time ago. Even before you started working for Cait.”

“Yeah.” She sniffed and wiped at her nose. “It was. I was dumb back then. Tryin’ to get out of Overtown the only way I knew. I did that once, and when I got caught I knew there had to be another way.”

“And I was wondering when you’d drop the act.”

She smiled and sniffled again. “Yeah, but it’s better when people don’t think you’re paying attention.”

“Yeah, there is that.” He closed the door and sat down in the free chair across from her. “I don’t know how these bozos dug up that information, but I plan on setting the record straight in a couple of hours. You don’t need to be there. In fact, it might be better if you’re not. I don’t want reporters distracted when I let then have it.”

“I can have my notice in…”

“You’re not going anywhere, Angie. This place needs you. Hell, Jenny and I need you. You keep everything running, and the girls can relate to you in a way they can’t to our doctors. Hell, you, Trudy, and Jenny could have been just like them if you’d made one wrong turn. The mission of the House is everything to me, and if you think I’m gonna let you walk just because some little toothpick reporter printed some lies you don’t know Blondie very damned well.”

“I knew there was a reason she loved you like she did.” Angie blew her nose, destroying what was left of the tissue. “I may need a minute or two…”

“Take as long as you need. I know this is hard. But if you can, I’d really like it if you were able to help with the new girls when they come in today.” He smiled and patted her on her thick knee. “Just like you always do.”

“Thank you, Sonny. I mean that. This place means everything to me, too.” She smiled and tugged some of the wrinkles out of her dress. “Now Angie gotta get ready, Blondie. New girls gonna need to know how things work around here.”

Sonny smiled and touched her knee again. “You stick with it, Angie. Don’t worry about a thing.”

He found Gina in her office, the phone glued to her ear. She raised a finger as he walked through the door. “He’ll be available for comment at eleven. Not before.” Hanging up, she gave him a wry smile. “You’d think they made the rules around here, not us.”

“Yeah. You’d think. Though it is damned nice to be able to tell them to piss off sometimes.”

She smiled. “I’ve got people from the three major stations and two of the papers coming out at eleven. I called the Post, but they wouldn’t say if they were sending anyone or not. I did remind them if Campbell showed up he’d be arrested for violating his restraining order.” She smiled. “You should have heard the girl whine then.”

“I’ll bet. Ten to one the little weasel is the one who wrote that pile of shit to begin with.” Sonny perched on the edge of desk. “Where do you want me for this?”

“I figured we’d use the staff parking lot. The covered smoking area has room for them, and it keeps them away from the main doors and the girls. Jenny and Trudy are already setting it up.”

“Good thinking, Gina. We’ve got that damned surplus Metro-Dade podium I can hide behind, and the fourth estate can damned well stand.” He shifted back to the floor and started to walk out.

“Sonny…how’s Angie?”

“She’ll be fine. I told her we were behind her all the way.” He shook his head. “It was a long time ago, and she never make a mistake after that. I’d be a first-class idiot to let her go.”

“She wasn’t convicted, was she?”

“No. John said she turned CI and helped them bust the supplier. I think she might have gotten community service and a slap on the wrist. We would have turned up any felonies during the background checks.”

“Why?”

The one word carried so many questions he didn’t know where to start. “I don’t know, Gina. And I don’t think this is a one-time thing. Someone wanted that story to run to rattle us. To get us looking one way while they do something else. I don’t know who, and I sure as hell don’t know why. Not yet, at least.”

“What about those lawyers?”

“They could be involved. Hell, this is the kind of thing they do every day. But it ain’t gonna help their case one bit. That’s what’s got me confused. If they’re involved, what do they get out of it?” There were still too many missing pieces. Hell, he didn’t even know who the players were, aside from those assholes at the Post. And their game wasn’t obvious, either. Right now all he could do was roll with it, counterpunch, and keep his eyes open. “Could you see if that nephew is around? Our new guy,”

The man hadn’t changed since Sonny last saw him. He’d delivered a recording from an old friend of Castillo’s…one that had changed Rico’s life forever. Probably for the better, since it told him what happened to his son. And the rest of the Calderone family. Blair had darkish brown hair and hazel eyes that gave away nothing about the man within. He was the kind of guy you missed in a crowd; the kind who was born for undercover work. They were back in Sonny’s office, and he sat in one of the chairs on the other side of the desk wearing one of the bland uniforms Rico had picked out for security personnel working inside the House. “It’s good to see you again, Mr. Crockett. I just wish it was better circumstances.”

“You and me both. And call me Sonny. Pretty much everyone does.”

“Sonny it is.” The was a confidence to the man’s voice you might miss if you just looked at him. “I’m sort of a straphanger on this one. Where do you need me?”

“I’d guess Marty brought you in more for close security, so that’s where we’ll leave you.” Sonny grinned. “Rico said you’re carrying a Smith like mine.”

“If you carry a 4506-1, then yeah.” Blair smiled.

“I’d ask if you were good with it, but I don’t want to insult you.”

“It’s a fair question. Good on the range, and good in the field.” The hazel eyes went flat. “I think you know what that means.”

“Yeah. I do. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that, but most of the people who don’t like me don’t tend to be very accommodating. Or dedicated to peaceful means of expression.”

“I understand.”

Sonny looked at the younger man again, for a moment almost thinking he could see the ghosts hovering around him. “Yeah, I bet you do. Not everyone does.” He paused. “You’re not a Company man these days, are you?”

“No.”

“Good. Never trusted most of them.” He turned and looked out the big window. “We’re gonna have a dog and pony show at 1100. Not sure how many press, and the Post may or may not put in an appearance. I’d like you fairly close.”

“Normal VIP drill. You got it. Is Tubbs going to be there?”

“No. I’m keeping him under wraps. If there’s someone gunning for us, I’d rather limit it to one shot at a time.” Sonny grinned again. “That and he’ll be busy coordinating security for the intake. We’ve got four new girls coming in today. The times overlap, and I want to make sure the press doesn’t get a look at any of them.”

Blair nodded and got to his feet. “I’m gonna get to work, then. I want to take a look at the area you’re using for the conference. Talk to a couple of the security guys. Groundwork really.”

“Knock yourself out. Anyone gives you any crap, send ‘em to me or Rico.” Sonny waited until the younger man was gone before letting out a long sigh and leaning back in his chair. The kid was solid as hell. No question. And he wasn’t really a kid, either. He had the same intensity as his uncle, but there was something deeper, too. He was the kind of guy who would see a mission through to the end, no matter the cost. Because he had nothing to lose.

Martin Castillo hung up the phone and looked across the room at Randy, who’d skipped another convention training session to come out to the Japanese house close to the beach and far too many memories. “It’s started. The Post ran a story about Angie’s arrest fifteen years ago.”

“What did Trudy say about Sonny’s response?”

“He’s backing Angie and holding a press conference at 1100 to let them have it.” Castillo’s smile was thin. “His words, not Trudy’s.”

“That sounds like the boss. Hit back hard and fast before they can launch another punch.” Randy set down his tea cup and smiled. “What’s our plan?”

“She said he invited the Post, but they didn’t say if they’d send anyone or not.” Castillo sipped the last of his tea, his mind working through possible scenarios. “Contact Switek. See if he’ll let you know if anyone from the Post shows up and what car they’re driving if they do. We can tail them back from Caitlin’s House and see where they go. Who they meet with. Right now we don’t know enough about the players.”

“You got that right. I’ll make the call now.”

Castillo stepped out on the deck to give Randy some privacy for his call. He didn’t want the former deputy marshal to feel pressured in any way. It was also easier for him to think on the deck, out with the sound of the waves and the breeze rustling through the undergrowth around the house.

He’d been afraid someone would use Angie’s background against them, and he cursed himself for not telling Sonny what he’d known about the incident. It might not have made much difference, but at least then he wouldn’t have been blindsided. It wouldn’t have been hard for someone to find, but they’d also have to know more about Angie than her first name. And they’d also have to know her relationship to the house, which wasn’t exactly common knowledge. Gina’s face was the one most often seen on TV when the House was discussed, followed by the two doctors and then maybe Sonny. But that lined up with Ti Ti’s message about fire from the rear…the past.

Randy’s voice snapped him back to the present. “Stan said he’ll do it. He’s also got something else in mind, but he wouldn’t tell me what.” Randy grinned. “He sounded pissed, though. I wouldn’t be surprised if he an’ Lester turned their full bag of tricks loose against the Post.”

“And he’d never say that where it could be recorded.” Castillo nodded. “Switek’s a true professional.”

“He also said he’s still waiting on his Bureau of Prisons contact. He thinks the guy might have something for him.”

Castillo nodded. Trudy had said something about Stan reaching out. Trying to find out who else might be reaching up from the past. “Good. Is Steve in place?”

Randy nodded. “He’ll try to stay close to Sonny and Rico. More Sonny today since he’s gonna be more exposed.”

“We’ll leave here about 1000.” Castillo looked at his watch. “In half an hour. That gives us time to get in position outside the compound. I’ve got radios so Switek can contact us.”

“Yeah. He said he’d call it on frequency delta, whatever the hell that means.”

“A low-band channel. Short range and hard to monitor.” Castillo smiled. “As I said, Switek’s a professional. He’s making it hard for anyone to listen in on us.”

Randy nodded, reaching down and checking his custom .45 in its hip holster. “You taking that cannon?”

“No. I have a Detonics with a six inch barrel. I’m not expecting contact this time out, but…”

“Be prepared. Yeah, I know. You think they’d try anything this soon?”

“No. This is an opening shot. Something to distract Sonny and Rico.”

“That’s what I’m thinkin’, too. Big question is where’s the main effort comin’ from? And who’s the target?”

“I don’t know.” Castillo stared out toward the water, trying to sort what they knew in his mind. It wasn’t there. Not yet, anyhow. “Maybe this will help us put some more pieces in play.”

• Like 4

I saw that you posted a new chapter, and even though I'm far, far from up-to-date with this story, I couldn't resist!

Once again, you are pulling me into your world, and it's fascinating!

• Thanks 1