Tim Truman Interview

Marco Falcone

My tech skills suck.  I think they peaked with the Commodore 128.  (Okay I’m exaggerating.   They peaked with the Atari 2600 and that weird peripheral that let you load a few games via cassette.  DragonStomper?   Space Patrol?  I AM a drummer after all...)

But a very recent interview with Tim Truman was posted on FB.   It was really a great read and quite enlightening as to history and process.

Someone who gets HTM:L\\] should link it here.    (I get excited and feel proud when I get 3 photos posted in the order I wanted.)

And through some comments and such, Mr. Truman and I are now FB friends.   

Seems to be a true gent and Artist with a capital “A.”

Between this INCREDIBLE forum, the various FB groups, and those with “contacts in the industry,” could we start some sort of petition directed at those who hold the rights to release Mr. Truman’s incredible work as a legitimate soundtrack/compilation? 

Or at LEAST get the Man the rights to his material?  

Rant over.

Thanks.

Edited by Marco Falcone

Thanks! Maybe that will do it.

http://celluloidtunes.no/a-conversation-with-miami-vice-composer-tim-truman/

That is a very long interview that contains great info with details (well prepared questions about MV episodes, thanks to the Norwegians magazine!) and also clarifies who is the roadblock of a TT release of MV music. It´s the same Tim told me as I was in contact with him several times.

Quote:

"This has been the biggest frustration for me. I received letters, phone calls, and when the internet came around, thousands of requests for the music to be released from the final season. I contacted Universal Music dozens of times. I sent them hundreds of fan e-mails to show them the interest. A no-brainer! They would not do anything. Recently, I met a guy from Universal Music and we discussed it. He shared that streaming pays so little, they would still not approve of a release. So many people have posted the scores to season 5 on YouTube, totaling millions of views, I may do the same from the original masters. They sound much better than some of the tracks out there. During the final year, a season 5 soundtrack album was never mentioned. I brought it up right away with Universal, but they were not interested. Everyone was moving onto the next project."

P.S. I don´t dig Universal´s logic. Costs to put TTs stuff up on a streaming portal are close to zero. He has everything on DAT tapes, ready to post. So, just do the maths how many clicks his music (MV scores posted by someone) had already on the internet and you have your potential revenue stream. Even, if it´s just 500,000 downloads (e.g. 1 buck for a score and 100 for all let´s say 150 scores and songs in total) that makes easily a million of windfall profit for something that is otherwise rotting on a shelf. These Universal guys must be completely lacking any business sense! Let alone that Tim does not get any royalties as these geniuses are sitting on it still.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-24 um 10.03.42.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

That´s often the frustrating thing. People who have the rights are not interested in a public release and people who are interessted in a public release are not allowed. And the former can hinder the latter.
I know it´s the law. But sometimes it doesn´t feel right to me, at least it´s very sad. Especially when it´s just a hiding of the art and the one who have the rights doesn´t want to use ones rights at all.

• 6 months later...
On 8/24/2020 at 3:47 AM, Tom said:

That is a very long interview that contains great info with details (well prepared questions about MV episodes, thanks to the Norwegians magazine!)

You're not kidding!  This Jon Aanensen guy does a fantastic job with his interviews of John Peterson and Tim Truman!

• 2 years later...