Do cops kick guns away?

codemaster94

I was wondering about this. Nearly every time Sonny or Rico shoot someone, Sonny is really quick to kick a gun or pick it up, throw it, etc. I was wondering if this would interfere with not touching the evidence in a crime scene, or if this is how police do it. I understand the motive of trying to keep the gun away from a suspect so they don't try to shoot again. I understand them kicking it, but wouldn't that tamper with fingerprints or DNA?

Take this scene for example: 

• Like 1

I can only speak from a military perspective.  When I was in the Air Force Security Police Academy I was taught if any weapons are involved on a suspect get that weapon far away from the person no matter what I have to do.  We were taught our safety first.  There was no concern about DNA as that science was still in its infancy.  We had many training scenarios with guns involved.  Kick the gun away.  Pick it up and put it in our waistband.  It did not matter.  Just get that weapon under control.  What are civilian police taught?  I honestly don't know. 

• Like 3

I asked that question myself. And I read that when you are shooted and even if you are critically wounded and will die soon it can take some minutes. And it seems to be not unsusal that you are  still able to move within this time. That you are able shoot with a gun in your hands.

So to kick the gun away for me seems to be simple very necessary for the cops to protect their own life.

Edited by Glades
  • Like 1

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Vicefan7777:

I can only speak from a military perspective.  When I was in the Air Force Security Police Academy I was taught if any weapons are involved on a suspect get that weapon far away from the person no matter what I have to do.  We were taught our safety first.  There was no concern about DNA as that science was still in its infancy.  We had many training scenarios with guns involved.  Kick the gun away.  Pick it up and put it in our waistband.  It did not matter.  Just get that weapon under control.  What are civilian police taught?  I honestly don't know. 

In police training this is still taught today. Kick the gun away (where nobody else can pick it up) first to ensure safety.

MV was the first show that showed this as far as I remember. They had police training before filming too and were taught the same thing. Crockett did this numerous times throughout the series.

Kick it away from the suspect just enough to ensure the suspect can't reach it and then cuff and search. You don't want to kick it to far or someone may grab it and run off with it.

15 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

Same general training more or less. And as Gary1911A1 said, cuff and search.

8 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

The thing is do you need DNA if you are there as a witness?

Interesting point. I have no idea, but I bet it depends on the country and ultimately, the judge.

• Like 1

As a former officer I would restrain suspect first, and then deal with securing the firearm.  We'd then mark where the gun was located in case a crime scene was set up.  Usually if the suspect was compliant, we would have already had them place the weapon down and step away from it, so there would be no reason to kick it.  Obviously each scenario is different, but you'd always get rid of the threat first, then deal with the scene/victims or weapons.

Regarding the DNA....the more evidence you have, the better!  Witness testimony is often unreliable.