No Good Deed...Part XXVI

Robbie C.

Stan ripped off the headphones and turned to Randy, who’d squeezed himself in the back of the Roach Coach as soon as he’d arrived. “Wiggins just got off the line with Haskell. They’re setting up a meeting tonight.”

“Where?”

“He didn’t say. Hector’s supposed to pick the place. But it’s at ten.” Stan grinned. “Great work on that fast tap, Les ol’ buddy. It was as clear as if we were on the other side of the wall with a stethoscope.”

Lester grinned. “Glad to hear it. About got mauled by a damned pigeon putting it in.”

Nodding, Stan turned back to the console, watching the needles jump as Haskell hung up his phone. “And how much do you wanna bet he calls Hector from a pay phone?”

“He do that often?”

Lester answered before Stan could speak. “We don’t know yet. Ain’t had the tap on the line long enough. But it wouldn’t surprise me. Hector only uses pay phones, and there’s five close by Haskell’s office.”

Stan nodded. “Yeah. And we don’t have the resources to tap all those. And it’s too damned hard to get eyes on his office without sticking out like a sore thumb. That’s the problem with those damned strip malls.”

“I could try.”

Stan looked at Randy and then the map they’d taped to one of the bare walls of the van, doing the math in his head. “Naw,” he said finally. “You’d never make it. Not unless Haskell had to take a major shit and got lost in the bathroom. Just too much ground to cover, and it’s not late enough for the streets to be really clear.”

“I gotta agree with Stan, Randy. Even though I know your driving.”

“I’d like nothing better than to get eyes on this asshole.” Stan’s words were quick. He could feel Randy’s anger building and wanted to head it off. “But we just don’t have the damned tools. Not like we did. We did get a tap on Jangles’ place, too, and maybe Hector’s dumb enough to tell that moron exactly where to go.” Inside he doubted it. All Jangles had done since they got ears on his phone was order pizza and call other goofballs he seemed to know. One, Ramon, might be of interest, but the number tracked back to a dive bar in the middle of Little Havana.

“That’s something I could do. Get eyes on this asshole Jangles. He’s the link to the girl, so they’ll have to bring him in if she’s gonna do anything else for them.”

Stan nodded, working the odds in his head. “Yeah. That’s not a bad idea. His place is on the far edge of Little Haiti. Run-down dump of an apartment building if I remember right. You’ll stick out like a sore thumb being a gringo and all, but we gotta work with what we have.”

“You’d be amazed how quick I can disappear.” Randy’s smile reminded Stan of a wolf he’d seen on a PBS show growing up. All teeth and no humor.

“No, I don’t think I would.” He reached under the console and pulled out a field radio. “It’s got enough range to get from here to there. We’ll keep ears on and buzz if he starts moving before you’re in position.”

Randy grabbed the radio and took another look at the map. Stan knew he was burning the directions into his brain. “Thanks. And if Sonny asks, I made you guys do this. It’s all on me.”

“No way, man. I…”

“Sarge…just do it. I don’t want you guys going down.”

Stan nodded, seeing the urgency and a hint of pain in Randy’s eyes. “You got it, Randy. Good luck out there.”

“No. Remember what Moneybags and his team said to each other before that hit on Unit 8? Make your own luck. That’s what we do, sarge.”

Stan nodded. “Make your own luck, Randy. We’ll see you later.”

“Count on it.” Then he was gone, the slamming of the van’s back door marking his passing.

The humming of the equipment was the only sound aside from the occasional tapping of rain on the sheet metal roof of the roach coach. Finally Lester cleared his throat. “Am I the only one who’s got a bad feeling about all this?”

Stan grinned, but knew it didn’t reach his eyes. “No, Lester old buddy. You are not the only one with a bad feeling. And I’ll be damned if I know why I’ve got one.”

“You gonna call Gina and let he know you’re gonna be late?”

“I will in a bit. You can call your lady first, ol’ buddy.” Stan shifted his focus as Lester dialed the car phone. He figured Gina was busy enough with the aftermath of the shooting Randy had described. That and he wasn’t sure what he’d tell her. He did like lying to her, and it felt like almost anything he said would be a lie. She’d been irritable enough as it was, and it wasn’t even her time of the month. No, I’ll just tell her the truth. Put it all out there and let the damned chips fall where they will. Decision made, he settled back into the routine of switching between the hissing empty space on their taps, waiting for something to happen.

He finally got through a little before eight. Gina’s voice came clear over the line, and she sounded irritated. “Yes?”

“Hey, baby. It’s me. Look, Lester and I are…” He hitched, and then stuck to his plan. “We’re running surveillance for Castillo on that lawyer and one of Hector’s friends. They’ve got some kind of meeting coming up, but nothing’s broken yet. So I don’t know when I’ll be home.”

“I…” She started to snap, and then her voice changed. “I’m sorry, Stan. I know I’ve been bitchy the past few days.”

“Naw, it’s my fault. We started doing this about a week or so back, and I didn’t want you to worry…”

“No. That’s not it. I…” She stopped again. “I didn’t want to do this over the phone.”

“Do what?” His heart fell though the bottom of his stomach.

“I…Stan, I’m pregnant.”

“WHAT?” Lester heard him through his own earphones and ripped them off with a startled look. “You’re what?”

“Pregnant. I wanted…I found out Monday and didn’t know how to tell you. I wanted it to be special, and then I couldn’t come up with anything and I started to wonder if you’d be happy and…”

“Relax darlin’. I’m happy. You bet I’m happy.” Stan looked over at his partner and grinned. “Gina’s pregnant.”

“Wow. Congratulations, guys.” Lester looked around the van. “Look, I got this if you wanna split.”

Gina heard him. “You stay right there, Stanley Switek. Finish your job and then come home. Mindy’s been telling me all about pregnancy hormones, and she wasn’t kidding. But you need to finish that for Marty. And Sonny. It’s important.”

“I love you, Gina.”

“I love you, too, Stan. I’ll be waiting.”

“She wants you stay?”

“Yeah.” Stan was still staring at the phone, his brain spinning as it tried to absorb what he’d just heard. “Yeah,” he repeated. “That’s what she said. And then something about pregnancy hormones.”

“Oh, yeah. I heard about that back when Franklin in the lab and his old lady had their first kid. He said the first month or so was unreal. Like he could barely get out of bed unreal.”

“Maybe I’d better see how much vacation I’ve got banked up.” Stan chuckled. But his head was still spinning. I’m gonna be a dad. Who the hell would have thought?

Lester slapped him on the shoulder. “You’re gonna be a great dad, Stan. Although God help her if you have a girl. You’ll be embarrassing her until she graduates from college.”

“Damn right. What better way to keep the boys away?” Stan laughed and forced himself to turn back to the console. “Much as I hate to say it, we’d better get back to work. They’ve been quiet for too damend long.”

Almost on cue the dial representing Jangles’ phone lit up. “Incoming.” Lester flipped the recorder switch and slipped on his headphones in almost the same motion. Stan was a heartbeat behind, switching his own monitors to cover the same tap and pulling on his headset.

It wasn’t much. Stan recognized the voice as Hector’s, and wondered how the hell Haskell or whoever had gotten to him so fast. “You know the spot. Ten minutes.” Then a dial tone.

“Goddamn!” Stan grabbed the radio, hoping like hell Randy was able to hear him. “Bozo is on the move.”

“Copy. In position. Out.”

Lester looked at Stan, his face looking like a glass etching in the yellow-blue light from the panels. “Now what do we do?”

“What we usually do, Les ol’ pal. We wait. But first I’d better check in.” He reached for the phone and keyed in Castillo’s number. “See what the boss wants us to do.” Yet even as the phone rang he could hear Gina’s voice echoing in his head. I just gotta keep it together for a little bit more. Then I can go home and see her.

Martin Castillo was on the deck watching the remains of the day when Trudy stuck her head out the door. “It’s Stan. He sounds excited.” She smiled. “He must have called Gina.”

Castillo nodded, turing away from the dying sun and heading inside to take the call. He guessed Gina had called Trudy as soon as she got the test results, and the two had spent almost an hour on the phone giggling and talking about babies. But he didn’t think Switek would be calling him about that. He took the phone with a nod. “Switek.”

“We got movement, captain.” Old habits died hard with Switek, especially when he was under stress. “Randy’s mobile and following Jangles. We picked up a call from Hector telling him to move. My guess is it’s a payphone so they can go into more detail. We monitored Wiggins and Haskell earlier, and I think Haskell pissed himself three times during that call.” Castillo listened without expression as Stan went over the details of the call. “Short version is they’re meeting in a bit over an hour at someplace Hector picks.”

“And you’re sure both Haskell and Wiggins wanted out?”

“Haskell sure as hell did. Wiggins? Who can tell with that Masterpiece fruit?”

“True. Have they tried to reach the girl?”

“No idea. If they have, Sonny and Rico haven’t told us.”

Castillo thought for a moment. “Let Mather stay with Jangles. See where they go and where they meet. We still don’t know where Hector’s staying or what he’s doing when he’s not meeting with them, so there’s no point in monitoring them any more tonight unless Jangles reaches out to the girl.” Castillo looked at Trudy and winked. “Go home, Stan. Celebrate your child. Gina called Trudy. And send Lester home, too. At least once Randy checks in. Keep him covered, but once they scatter he can head back to his hotel. We don’t have enough resources to tail Hector, and he’s the one we need to know more about.”

Trudy waited until he hung up to kiss him. “I’m glad you sent Stan home.”

“They deserve to celebrate. And it’s true that we don’t have enough resources to follow Hector. He’s smart enough to spot a lone tail, and once that’s blown we might never see him again.” He smiled. “It’s hard to remember we don’t have the resources we once did.”

“Do you really think they’re done?”

“I don’t know, my love.” The dream still haunted the back of his mind. Three tracer trails, and they’d only taken out one threat. “I’d like to think so, but I also worry about wishful thinking. We can’t afford that, especially now.” He looked back out the window. “Not when all of them have so much to lose.”

“How will we know what they plan to do?”

“The girl. If they reach out to her again they’re still in business. If they don’t, or she’s told to drop it, we know they’re scattering. Or at least some of them are.”

“What do you mean?” She moved over and slipped her arm around him.

“I don’t think Hector will quit easily. He’s got something else driving him. Something personal. But I don’t know what.”

“How can you tell?”

“He brought in too many of his own resources. Jangles. The girl. At least one other person. If he was just in it for the money he’d do his best to keep anyone else out. It makes his cut smaller.” Castillo shook his head. “No, Hector Rendozo is in this for something else. Something personal. He won’t just walk away.” Then he smiled and changed the subject. “How did Gina seem?”

“Excited. Nervous.” She chuckled. “Kind of what you’d expect from a first time mother to be. I know she and Stan have been trying for a while now.” She shook her head. “You’d think raising one big kid would be enough for her.”

“Switek will make a good father. He’s got the instincts and he has experienced what not to do. Sometimes I think that’s more important than coming from what society thinks is a good family.”

“It’s funny, you know? Of all the members of the old unit, the first two who have kids are Rico and Stan. I still have a hard time picturing Rico married, and with Gina there was always Sonny in the background.”

“She finally moved on.” He put his arm around her shoulders and squeezed. “And then she saw what was waiting for her the whole time.”

“Sounds kinda familiar.” She leaned against him, and he could feel the warmth of her body through his shirt.

He kissed the top of her head, his nose filling with the scent of her shampoo. But the doubt still lingered in the back of his mind. Even if the lawyers walked away, there was one stream of tracers still out there.

Hector didn’t like Rizzo’s much at all. Most of the girls were nasty, the sound system sucked, and the drinks were watered down. But it was a great place for a meeting you didn’t want observed. He watched the bleached blonde with fake tits spin around the main pole, wondering again if the rumor he’d heard about one of the DJs having his ashes in the pole was true. Rizzo’s was the kind of dump that made you think it was.

He’d picked one of the back tables to avoid the noise by the bar, only to find he’d traded that for the tinny blare from one of the club’s blown speakers. But it let him see the door well enough, and he partly stood up and waved his arm to get Jangles’ attention when the goofball showed up. Stopping only to get a drink, he made his way back and sat down. “Man, that was some bad shit with that camera dude.”

“Yeah, and it’s got those puta lawyers running scared.” Hector took a drink from his beer and leaned across the table. “You heard from Ramona?”

“Naw. She’s waitin’ to hear from me.” Jangles grinned. “She’s a good girl like that. Only reason she’d call me is if she got kicked out.”

“An’ no news is good news.” Hector smiled, starting to feel some of the swagger come back. He’d been sitting in his hotel room when the TV ran the story of the events at Caitlin’s House, so he’d been expecting Haskell’s call. But that didn’t mean he liked it. He could almost hear the old dude shitting his pants, but the promise of money got him to agree to the meet and name Rizzo’s as the place. Jimmy had been a moron, no question, but with the girl still in place they had cards left to play. And he had to get Tubbs out in the open.

The two lawyers in their tailored suits stood out like turds in a punchbowl as they walked through the club to Hector’s table. Hector grinned as he saw Haskell flinch every time one of the girls got near him, but he also noticed Wiggins didn’t flinch. Dude might have more to him than I thought. Gotta watch that one. He smiled as they got within ear shot. “So. Have a seat an’ we talk.”

Haskell started babbling as soon as his ass touched the chair seat. “We have to stop this. There’s no point in going on. There’s…”

Wiggins laid a hand on his arm. “Calm, Arthur. Calm. We have to assess what happened today, yes? See if there is still room to accomplish what we want.”

“Where’s that asshole editor? I want to slap him up for letting his mutt off his leash.” Hector leaned in, laying it on thick for Haskell’s benefit.

“Oh, I think he has troubles of his own, Hank. Yes, I think he does.” Wiggins smiled that odd smile of his. “You see, he’s being sued on top of everything else. So yes, he won’t be joining us for some time.”

“What if he tells what he knows?”

“I expect you have some friends who can see to his needs in prison, Hank. It’s to our benefit, you see. Both of us.”

“Yeah, but I don’t know what the kid expected. You don’t run up on Sonny Burnett like that.”

“That’s the thing of it, you see.” Wiggins leaned back in his chair and a superior look floated over his face. Hector suddenly wanted to punch him. More than once. “Things aren’t always what they seem. Take our friend Sonny Burnett. He and your friend Cooper have some things in common.”

“How? Cooper’s a cop.”

“So is Sonny Burnett.”

Hector shook his head. “No way, man. Ain’t no cop gonna pile up bodies like Burnett does.”

“I don’t know the details of it, I’m sad to say. But Sonny Burnett’s real name is Sonny Crockett. He was a detective on the Metro-Dade force not too many years ago.”

Burnett a cop. Fucking hell! That changes a few things. “Guess that explains why he hired Tubbs.”

“It also explains why he’s been able to parry our plans so easily.” Wiggins looked over at Haskell, who was plowing through his third scotch and soda. “And the demise of friend Arthur’s nerves.”

Hector nodded, trying to keep his anger and excitement off his face. Knowing both Burnett and Cooper were cops made things a hell of a lot easier. His main target was still Tubbs, but if he took out this Crockett at the same time it would be a hell of a bonus. And he knew he’d rather have a pissed off ex-cop after him than Sonny Burnett. If it was true. “Our girl’s still in place. What’s the plan?”

Haskell’s voice rose almost a full octave. “We have to call it off! Don’t you see that?”

“Calm down, Arthur.” Wiggins smiled at Hector. “He’s a bit overwrought, but I think he’s correct. We’ve taken serious losses, and Renfro can still make trouble for us in his own way.” He raised his hands. “But I don’t expect you to take a loss, Hank. I’m prepared to pay half of what you would have gotten if the operation had been a success. It’s only fair, since you had expenses of your own and ran certain risks on our behalf.”

Hector shifted, feeling the familiar weight of the Beretta. “I guess that’s fair.”

“Excellent. We’ll meet again here tomorrow night at the same time. I’ll bring the money you’re owed and our business will be completed.” He turned and grabbed Haskell’s arm. “Come along, Arthur. Let’s get you home, shall we?”

Somehow Jangles managed to keep himself under control until they were gone. Then he exploded. “What the fuck is this, Hector? Man, we gonna just…”

“Shut up, Jangles! Here’s how I see it, mano. They just made taking out Tubbs easier. We don’t have to worry about Burnett. And the dude’s gonna pay us three hundred large for showin’ up.” Hector looked around. “I never gave two shits about that damned plan they had. It was just a way to get Cooper out in the open. Now we know, an’ they’ll think it’s over since that crazy punk got himself shot.”

“You’re sayin’ you trust those lawyers?”

“Not for a second, Jangles. They’re lawyers. They tell me the sun’s shinin’ I look out the window to check first.”

Jangles nodded, but Hector could still see fear in his eyes. “You think they’re tellin’ the truth? About Burnett bein’ a cop?”

Hector thought for a moment. That one still bothered him. Finally he shook his head. “No. I don’t think I do. Look, man. We both know how many punks that guy planted. Not fake, but serious ‘one to the head’ kinda planted. No way you can fake that. An’ no way a cop gets away with that an’ keeps his badge.”

“Yeah. That’s what I was thinkin’. I know they can fake some stuff, but not that. And Ramon saw him put a dude down once. Like you said, man…” Jangles raised his hand, forefinger and thumb out mimicking a pistol. “Bam! One in the head and done. No way a cop gets away with that.” He looked down at his drink. “So why’d they tell us that?”

“Maybe to make us think we could take out Burnett.” Hector shrugged. He knew Jangles was right. No way Burnett could be this dude Crockett…even if there had been a Crockett. Tubbs and Cooper, though? That was a sure thing.

“So, we still gonna need Ramona?”

“Maybe. Keep her in play, but don’t have her start no hassle.”

“You got it, Hector. What about Ramon?”

“Maybe. I’m workin’ on that.” Hector looked around Rizzo’s as if seeing it for the first time. It was close, dim, and smelled of stale beer, cigarettes, and God knows what else. Perfect. Just fuckin’ perfect. “Look, man. How often does some punk get greased in here?”

Jangles scrunched up his forehead. “Every month or so?”

“Somethin’ like that, genius. So what’s two more bodies on that pile? An’ lawyers in the bargain. Fuckin’ place should have a parade in our honor.” He patted the Beretta through his shirt. “Ain’t no one knows us here. It ain’t a regular spot for us. Two apiece and then we’re gone out the back before those fat putas by the door can unstick their asses from their stools.”

“Yeah. I ducked out that door once while you was away. Opens onto an alley with good runnin’ paths both ways.”

“We’ll have us a look an’ then get the hell out of here.” Hector started to get up, then paused. “Hey, man. You know if it’s true they stuck the ashes of one of the DJs in the main stage pole?”

Sonny Crockett looked out past Tranquility’s bow at the rolling waves. He’d given his statement to the punks from Homicide and then cut himself loose. “You know where to find me if you need anything else,” he’d said before turning on his heel and heading for the Daytona. Jenny had barely been able to keep up, and once in the car all she’s said was “We’re going to sea tonight.” He didn’t argue.

The water was still choppy in the back trail of the storm, but he didn’t really notice. The wind kept the sails full, and behind him Jenny piloted the boat like the expert sailer she was. He didn’t mind the wind. It kept the ghosts at bay.

Celeste! He hadn’t heard the name for years, and hadn’t thought of her for almost as long. Like most of his time as Burnett some things were her were blurry, while others stood out in sharp focus. He could feel Jenny’s curiosity behind him like it was a physical thing, but he also knew she wouldn’t ask. Not directly. She’d wait until he was ready.

“Could you take in the sails a bit? We don’t want to run to Cuba.”

“Sure. I figure we can just sail straight to the House in the morning.” He busied himself with the lines, glad for the physical distraction while his mind worked through it all. That first night out by the pool at Carrera’s house. How she’d turned on him and then come back. For what? He was never really sure. She said love, but he wasn’t convinced Celeste could ever love anyone but herself. Still…he’d let her walk.

The boat slowed, rolling a bit as Jenny adjusted her course. Her voice was a whisper over the rustling sails and slap of the ocean against the hull. “You don’t need to tell me if you don’t want to.”

“No, darlin’ I do what to tell you. It’s just…complicated.” Sonny sighed. Then he told her as much as he could remember about how he’d gotten involved with Oscar Carrera’s young wife. “I think we started off using each other,” he said as his voice wound down. “Maybe it turned into something more. I don’t know. I do know she saved my ass, and I owed her. So I let her walk.”

“What happened to her?” Jenny hadn’t said a word while he talked, just let the words sink in. Her blue eyes seemed if anything deeper, like they were about to swallow Sonny’s soul. He didn’t mind.

“I don’t know. There were little blips at first, then nothing. I think she was going west. Trying to get as far away from Florida as she could.” He sighed. “Can’t say’s I blame her. Never knew she had a brother, though. I added a few people to the payroll when she asked. Kids from the neighborhood was how she always described ‘em. Never big jobs, though. Drivers. Loaders. That kinda thing. He might have slipped in there.” He sank back on the cockpit settee, feeling random droplets of rain splatter on his face. “To be honest there’s lots of that stuff I don’t remember too well.”

“She meant something to you.” It was a statement, not a question. And there was no anger in it. Maybe some sadness, but that was all.

“I don’t know. I guess she did, but I don’t really know what. This wasn’t long after Cait was murdered.” He paused, feeling the rain grow from random drops to a regular barrage. Still, he wasn’t ready to go below or move under the cockpit awning. “I guess I saw her sometimes when I looked at Celeste.”

Jenny said nothing. Instead she got up and worked the crank expanding the awning until it covered the entire cockpit. “We should probably aim for one of the small islands,” she said, waving her hand in the direction of the flickering radar display and the charts. “It’s going to be dark tonight and I don’t want to end up a cruise ship’s hood ornament.”

“Jenny…”

“I understand, Sonny. I do. That guy you locked up for me after we first met? He was something like Celeste for me. I don’t know how it happened, or how I really felt about him.”

“I should have told you…”

“Don’t be silly. It was over. Long over. And it wasn’t really you. Not like Cait, or that doctor, or the architect. Or even Caroline.” She smiled and touched his shoulder. “Celeste is one of those things you see in the fog and aren’t sure what they are.” She paused for a moment, her eyes still deep. “Do you think it’s over?”

“I hope so. With Jimmy dead I can’t see Wiggins wanting to risk more exposure. I doubt prison agreed with his delicate disposition, even if it was only Club Fed instead of what he really deserved. He won’t want to go back. And Haskell is even weaker. By the time Gary gets done picking his carcass clean he’ll be lucky if he has a refrigerator box to call home under the expressway.” He smiled, but it was a real smile this time. “That Hector’s still out there, but he’s small time.”

She nodded, turning back to the wheel to adjust their course. “I hope so.”

He looked past her at the ripples of their wake. “So do I, darlin’,” he whispered into the wind. “So do I.”

Gina was waiting for them in Sonny’s office the next morning. “I wanted to be the first to tell you, Sonny,” she said. “Stan and I are pregnant.”

Sonny paused for a moment. “Is there something in the water out here? Maybe I should get it tested. First Mindy, then you. I’m gonna lose half my command staff to maternity leave.” The he grinned and took her in his arms. “I’m happy for both of you, Gina. I know you’ve been trying…”

Jenny smiled and joined the hug, her arms somehow embracing them both. “This is really great news.” She paused and Sonny could hear the twinkle in her voice. “If it’s a boy are you going to name him Elvis?”

“Definitely not!” Gina took a step back, her eyes bright and the smile still wide on her face. “We already talked about that and I told Stanley there was no way any child of mine would be named after an alligator. Or that boy with the guitar.” Her smile changed. “But we did agree if it’s a boy we might name him Larry.”

Sonny swallowed, fighting to knock back his own tears. “I think Zito would like that, Gina.”

Jenny touched his arm. “We should check on Ramona.”

“You’re right, darlin’. But congratulations again, Gina. You and Stan are gonna be great parents.”

“Thank you, Sonny. That means a lot. I…” She paused. “I wanted to be the one to tell you. Because of our past.”

“I know. And I want you to let Stan know the two of you can have a week off as soon as this is settled. Take some time. I’m gonna do the same for Rico and Mindy.” He walked over to the big desk and sat down. “If Stan and Rico are here could you have them come up? I want to go over what happened yesterday. If Stan’s out working, don’t bother to call him in. I like his perspective, but I don’t want to interrupt anything he’s working on for Castillo.”

• Like 2

Fabulous chapter, so nice to see Gina and Stan so happy! But I’m so worried for the crew... will miss this story so much when it’s done! Makes my day to see a new chapter!

• Thanks 1