Sonny's styles

ame99

As I recall, it was Manns idea, he got the inspiration visiting a painting store I believe. Since the earth tones and grey were most common at the time it's no wonder that it made MV stand out and made it visually attractive and captivating of course along with the music. Miami Vice would have lacked that special vibe/atmosphere without the music, that was essential in setting the right mood for each scene. Since I'm not too fond of the red/earth tones I'm glad they were left out. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I love pastels, myself. I really hate how that pistachio green and burnt orange were popular from the late 60s into 70s. I think that was also just a low point for music, movies and pop culture in my book (50s and early 60s were great, and then things picked up again in early 80s.) Those earth tones were really nauseating colors in my book. I remember when I was a little kid (in the 90s) my family had matching pistachio green refrigerator and oven from the 70s. Yuck! They replaced them before they even wore out just because they looked so terrible.

I prefer a fresher palette look. Earth tones should stay that, just tones of the earth. Even in my apartment, very little earth tone other than natural wood color. I don’t mind that.

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

I love pastels, myself. I really hate how that pistachio green and burnt orange were popular from the late 60s into 70s. I think that was also just a low point for music, movies and pop culture in my book (50s and early 60s were great, and then things picked up again in early 80s.) Those earth tones were really nauseating colors in my book. I remember when I was a little kid (in the 90s) my family had matching pistachio green refrigerator and oven from the 70s. Yuck! They replaced them before they even wore out just because they looked so terrible.

I prefer a fresher palette look. Earth tones should stay that, just tones of the earth. Even in my apartment, very little earth tone other than natural wood color. I don’t mind that.

You forgot the super 70’s color rust, and brown that was also popular. I think many referred to that green as avocado green.  My mom’s washer and dryer were that color and my dad bought a compact car because of the oil crisis that was a dark brown color.  I, personally had a pair of rust color corduroys as an elementary student then :).

That said, the 70’s is considered by film historians as the second golden age of cinema after the 30’s, and I agree.  It came after the collapse of the studio system bringing with it the auteur filmmakers like Coppola, Scorsese, Altman, DePalma, etc... It also launched the blockbuster with Spielberg’s Jaws and, of course, Lucas and Star Wars.  The range of films that emerged in the 70’s has never been surpassed, in my opinion.  There’s something for everyone if you dig a little. Consider: Chinatown, The Godfather, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, Rocky, The Deer Hunter, Dog Day Afternoon, The French Connection, Apocalypse Now, Network, Taxi Driver, The Exorcist, Alien, American Graffiti, I could go on.  Some lesser viewed but excellent films from the decade include: Klute, Day of the Locust, Badlands, Shaft, The Conversation, A Clockwork Orange, and Marathon Man.  

Apologies for rambling.  I was a film major before studying history as a postgraduate. :eek:

• Like 1

I've got an old Osterizer blender in what I call "Baby Poop Green" color.  It was a wedding gift to my parents in 1977 and the dang thing still works!  I've kept it in the back of a cabinet because it's probably an antique.  But yeah, those 70s colors were the worst.

Somehow those colors still work for VW buses.  I swear I’ve seen a picture from when I was maybe 5 in the mid-70’s wearing pants like the green plaid in the bottom-center swath.  Thanks mom! 

13A9C850-2539-44B9-8F8B-1AC0053636C3.png

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1