No Good Deed...Part XXIX

Robbie C.

“And you’re sure they were all there?”

Randy nodded. “As sure as I could be without going in. Rendozo was there for sure. An’ I saw Jangles show up later. There might have been one going in between those two, though. Skinny kid who looked like he could swing either way if you know what I mean. Near as I could tell through the window he sat down with Rendozo and was there for the full meet.”

Martin Castillo nodded, looking out toward the water. His plain black suit felt like an old friend, even though it had been weeks since he’d worn it. “And you’re sure the text went out after the meeting?”

“Yeah. I checked timelines with Stan. What did Trudy say about it?”

“That Jangles told the girl it was still on.” Even through his sunglasses the late afternoon sun was bright enough to make him squint. “They’re still in play.”

“Yeah, but for what? That’s what bugs me, captain. What’s their target?”

He thought back to the dream. The direction of the tracers. Some of it was hard to sort through, especially in the cold light of day. But he trusted the dreams. “Tubbs. He has to be the target.”

“Why?”

“He made the arrest and testified at Rendozo’s trial. Even if they knew Crockett had been a cop, I don’t think they’d believe it. He’s too well-known as Burnett, and that was how Rendozo asked for him when he stopped by Cann’s club. And Crockett was the one who set up the deal that got Rendozo busted.”

“Makes sense, I guess. Jimmy already took a shot at Sonny, and who the hell knows what those two lawyers were up to when they got their tickets punched.”

Castillo nodded. “They may have been trying to cut their losses. But Rendozo wasn’t ready to stop. He’d see them as a threat. Someone who could go to the police and ruin his plan. Haskell had been the one who failed at his defense, after all. He had no reason to trust the man.”

“So we assume it’s Tubbs.” Randy slipped on his own dark glasses and moved to the edge of the deck. “How do we play it?”

They were alone at the house. He didn’t expect Trudy home for another hour, and he’d planned the meeting with that in mind. “We need to draw them out.”

“Do we want to involve Rico?”

“Not if we don’t have to.” Castillo turned away from the setting sun. “I want nothing to come back on them.”

“Makes sense to me. An’ I’ve got spare barrels for the Remington back home.”

“You don’t need to be involved once we know what they’re intending.”

“Yeah, I do. If for no other reason than to patch your ass up again if you get shot.” Randy chuckled. “There’s at least three of them, remember? If things go south, I can drop at least one from  a distance. That buys you time to act.”

Castillo didn’t quite trust his voice, so he nodded. Images kept bouncing through his head. Explosions in distant jungles. Bright muzzle flashes on dark Miami docks and streets. He’d lost too many people over the years. It wouldn’t happen this time. “When do you head back home?”

“Three days from now. I’d love to extend, but my boss is gettin’ anxious. Says they got some case or another.”

“Maybe we can use the girl to push them into moving before then. I’ll talk to Trudy. See if she thinks it will work. I don’t want to endanger the girl.”

“You an’ me both, Marty. I…”

“Don’t worry about it. You have your duty there. We’ll just do what we can before then.”

“Yeah.” He paused. “You an’ Trudy want to meet me at Pete’s? I want to check in with the ol’ bastard before I have to leave again, an’ if it’s gonna get busy soon…”

“Tonight is a good night,” he said, finishing Randy’s thought. “I think she’d like that. I’ll call and have her meet us there.”

It was early enough the dinner crowd hadn’t hit Marshal’s Ribs yet, and they got a good table in a reasonably quiet corner. Pete came out of the back as soon as he learned they were there, and sat down with his usual George Jefferson grin. “You dressed like you workin’, Marty. I hope that ain’t true.”

“Just a side project, Pete.”

“Nothin’ to do with those shootings?”

“Well…”

Pete Washington shook his head and then laughed. “Hard to walk away from the damned job when trouble finds you, ain’t it? An’ then you go and drag my wayward deputy into it with you. This wouldn’t happen to involve a waste of space named Hector Rendozo, would it?”

“Seems like you’ve got some side projects, too.”

“I like to keep my hand in from time to time.” Pete grinned. “But I got intel that ol’ Hector sure had it in for some guy called Cooper. Blamed him for his prison time an’ all. And where you find Hector, you’ll find his sidekick Juan. An’ where Juan is, there’s usually this character called Ramon. Ramon’s a squirrelly lookin’ character who used to be part of the Carrera organization. Word has it he was part of Burnett’s party when Cooper tried to engineer a deal.”

“So Ramon would know Cooper was a cop.”

“You might think so. But he’d also be convinced Burnett was Burnett, an’ not some cop called Crockett.” Pete shook his head. “You runnin’ some kind of soap opera over there, Marty? This whole thing sounds like one of those plots from ‘As the Stomach Churns’ or somethin’ my missus might watch.”

Castillo had to laugh. “When you put it that way, it kind of does. But thanks for the intel, Pete. We didn’t know anything about this Ramon until just now. And it does confirm who I thought Rendozo was after.”

“And your lovely wife just arrived. If you’ll excuse me I’ll got get started on the drinks an’ burnt ends. I know how she loves ‘em.”

Trudy was still wearing her green work dress, and Castillo had to shake his head at the number of heads that turned to watch her pass. Both men and women. “I should’ve know it was you who got him up to no good,” she announced with a smile when she saw Randy.

“Guilty as charged, ma’am.” He turned to Castillo and winked. “But it’s worth it to see you in that dress.”

“Glad you approve, but you’re not my audience.”

“It looks beautiful on you, my love.” Castillo smiled as he leaned over and kissed her. “How was work?”

“Busy. We’re figuring out how to cover when Mindy and Gina go on maternity leave, and then there’s all the excitement from the shootings and all. I expect Stan already told you about Ramona.”

“Yes. And Pete gave us some new intel on Rendozo and his people. We know Tubbs is his target. Has been the entire time.”

“That’s not good. Should I tell Rico?”

“No. Mather and I have it under control. At least for the next three days. With Blair gone now, it’s up to us.”

She nodded. “That guy was impressive. Quiet, but impressive.”

“His job demands it.” Castillo changed the subject. “Pete said he was getting drinks and burnt ends ready. It seems he knows your reputation.”

It was almost ten by the time they left, full of good food and just enough alcohol to have made the evening interesting. Castillo followed Trudy back to the house, saying goodnight to Randy before he drove his rental car back to his hotel. Trudy watched the receding tail lights, her face sad. “It’s been good having him here. Both of them, really, when Dave was still in town.”

“Yes.” He paused, feeling the last of the alcohol in his system. “I got an appointment with Tex. It’s in two weeks, but…”

“I’m glad. If that’s what you need to do.”

“I think so. He may want to talk to both of us.”

“Fine with me. If Sonny and Robbie trust him, that’s good enough for me.” She was still looking at the road, a patch of darkness inside more darkness. “You know, I thought all this was over.”

“So did I.” He wanted to touch her, but sensed her mood. She needs some room. I understand. “Sometimes things happen outside our control.”

“I know. And I know it’s nothing you or anyone did. But we’d settled into such a nice place. Shows at Downbeat. Friday nights at Pete’s. All those things people outside the Job do and take for granted.”

“I know. And we’ll be doing those again. Soon.” He paused, then kept speaking before he lost his nerve. “I thought something like this would happen before now. OCB made many cases, and many enemies went with those cases. Two years is a long time considering how many people we put away.”

“It is.” She turned to face him. “I’m not blaming you, Marty. Please don’t ever think that. I was always afraid in a corner of my mind Midas would show up again. Or some of those crazy Free Cuba militia goofs we put away. When it didn’t happen right away, I fooled myself into thinking it never would.”

“And it may never again, my love. Gordon Wiggins was a special case, and he’s the one who brought Rendozo into play. We’ll probably never know what he was intending to do, but his target was Crockett and Caitlin’s House. More the House than Crockett I think. Renfro just smelled a chance to create a scandal, and there was no way any of us could have anticipated Jimmy Campbell or whatever his real name was.”

“I know. At least part of me does. But another part…it feels like when my brother was killed, you know? The illusion of being safe is gone. I…”

He paused for a moment. “I think you should come with me. To see Tex. Loang Koa always said a fear shared is a fear dispelled. I didn’t know what he meant then, but I think I do now.”

“He was one of those Hmong, wasn’t he?”

“Yes. A very wise shaman. And, I think, a friend. When the end came he was one of the Hmong who followed Vung Pao to Montana. One of their CIA liaisons helped them settle there.” Castillo smiled at the memory. “They all called him Hog. I’m sure Loang is dead now, but at least he was in mountains.”

“I think I’d like that. To go with you, I mean.”

“Good.” He reached out and put his arm around her, feeling her press against his side. “Now why don’t we go in and have some tea? I have to meet with Mather and Switek in the morning, so I’ll be up early.”

The three men met at a small café in Little Havana. It was a favorite of Castillo’s, and he dropped in more regularly now that he was off the Job. Switek grinned as he sipped coffee. “I left Lester with the Roach Coach to keep an ear on things, but Jangles has been quiet since last night. Only ordered a pizza.”

“Good.” Castillo was wearing one of his plain black off-the-rack suits and Ray Bans, his mind fully into the work. “I think we’re entering into the end game of this. The text to Ramona indicates Rendozo is still in play, and he’s getting closer to his goal.”

“What do you think he’s after?”

“Tubbs. Tubbs was the one who arrested him and whose testimony was instrumental in his conviction. I think he wants to work for Burnett, and aims to buy his way in by killing a former cop.”

Randy nodded. “Makes sense. Like you said, he’s got no way of knowing Crockett’s cover.”

“And even if he did, he’d never believe a cop could get away with what Sonny did with the Manolos and Carreras.” Stan shook his head. “Sometimes I don’t believe it, either.”

“It works in our favor now. We only have one target to watch.”

Randy shifted in his chair. “If it was me, I’d try to get Rico away from everyone else. Out somewhere with no witnesses and good locations for dumpin’ bodies.”

“Swampland.” Stan’s voice was firm. “Best choice. No one out there’s gonna say a thing about a few gunshots, so long as they ain’t aimed at them, and the gators are damned good at cleaning up criminal messes. Only question is how they get him out there.”

“They’ll use the girl somehow.” Castillo caught the waiter’s eye and raised a finger for another coffee. “It’s the only reason they would have left her in play. We’re sure they don’t suspect she’s working for us now?”

“As sure as we can be.” Stan scratched his chin through his scruffy beard. “I’ve got that phone on monitor 24/7. It hasn’t come on since they sent her the message yesterday. She says she’s not supposed to check in. They contact her, and then she answers.”

“Stay on it. Jangles, too. This new player, Ramon? I think he’s just a shooter.”

“Yeah, but he was in the Carrera organization. Low on the pole, but there. That might be the other reason they’re going after Tubbs. Sonny did out hm as a cop.”

Castillo nodded, not wanting to go down old paths and open old wounds. “I’ll have my phone with me at all times. Keep me in the loop and be ready to move. We only have Mather for three more days, and after that we’ll need to make new plans.”

“With any luck they’ll move before that. These clowns ain’t shown much in the way of patience.”

“True, but they plan well. We need to be on our game.”

A handful of hours later and four blocks over, Hector met again with Jangles and Ramon. He’d lingered outside, letting the other two arrive first before sauntering through the door and joining them at their table. They hadn’t been followed.

Jangles greeted him with his usual goofy grin. “Hey, man! I was startin’ to think you’d passed out with some girl an’ forgotten about our meet.”

“Never happen.” He settled into the chair they’d saved for him and gave the place a quick once-over. “Is our girl still in business?”

“Yeah. She came back right away.”

Ramon shifted. “You got a plan yet?”

“Matter of fact, I do.” And Hector wasn’t kidding. It had started sprouting in his head soon after he’d left the café yesterday, and bloomed overnight. “We gotta get Tubbs away from that place, right? An’ off by himself? So…”

He talked for almost ten minutes, going back once or twice when Ramon had a question. Jangles just sat and listened, grinning wider as the thing progressed. When he was done, Jangles laughed. “I like it, man! Simple, but sneaky at the same time.”

“You think the girl’s up to it?”

“Sure. Like I said, she’s pure gangster. She’ll do what I say, when I say it.”

Ramon shook his head. “I gotta say it’s sneaky all right. You think he’ll fall for it?”

“He’s a cop. Cops are chumps. You know that. They always fall for a big deal or some ‘innocent’ in danger. They can’t help their damned selves.”

“Yeah. Burnett used to talk about that, too. Said most of ‘em were either greedy or suckers. He never trusted the greedy ones, but said you could use the suckers.” He paused. “We gonna need Miguel or any of his crew?”

“No. Not yet. Maybe once we deal with this Tubbs and get a meet with Burnett.” Hector kept his eyes flat. He didn’t plan on adding anyone to the crew, let alone some punks Ramon knew. Even Ramon was a risk. Jangles was dead-loyal and could keep his mouth shut. He still wasn’t sure about Ramon.

“So when do we start?”

“Today.” He went over the contents of the first message with Jangles. “She has to get that today,” he finished. “Tomorrow we send the second part and get that cop puto out to the spot.” He finished his coffee and smiled. “We meet here again tomorrow, but an hour earlier than the first time. Same thing goes. One of us doesn’t show, the others scatter.”

“Why don’t we just call, man?”

“Cops can listen to phones, Jangles. They can’t hear this. We call, they know when you’re moving and they can follow you. This way it’s harder. An’ I don’t think Miami-Dade can sit on all of us 24/7. Especially when they got no reason.”

Ramon nodded. “Yeah. From what I hear that lawyer shooting thing is at a standstill. They’re busy chasing old Wop guys for it, ‘cause the one dude’s parter was in bed with the mob or some shit.”

“Good.” Although Hector did wonder about the source of the information. Does Ramon have a source inside Miami-Dade? Ain’t gonna ask now, but it’s something to look into later. “So long as they’re playing with themselves and some damned Godfather fantasy I’m happy.” He turned back to Jangles. “Take care of business and I’ll see you two tomorrow.”

Back on the street, he let the feeling of satisfaction wash over him. They were so damned close to being done! To being ready to move on to the big deals and real action. Part of his thing with Tubbs was personal, but it was also practical. What better way to impress your way into a working crew than by killing a cop? Even if he was an ex-cop now it would still carry weight. Burnett may have had his reasons for hiring the guy, or maybe Tubbs had threatened to expose his past if he didn’t get a high-paying gig. He’d heard stories of prison about cops like that…dirty bastards from Vice who’d parlayed their knowledge of rackets into protection jobs with the same crews they’d been sworn to bust before turning in their badges. Odds were Tubbs was no different.

The route back to his hotel took him past a strip club, one of the few in this part of town. Even though it was early he could hear the music thumping through a door covered with black paint to keep tourists from peering inside. Grinning, he opened the door and let the bass beats wash over him. There were worse ways to kill an afternoon…

The girl on the main stage was young and had the insecure moves of someone working her first or second shift taking her clothes off. A college girl looking to make some extra cash, maybe, or one of the runaways who flocked to Miami looking for the sun but finding only misery in the shadows. Hector didn’t care either way. She had nice tits, great legs, and looked like she’d do almost anything for fifty bucks. And when he could see her eyes in the surplus disco ball lighting the stage she didn’t look strung out. Another bonus.

He got up on the rail and started off with ones like the other two losers; fat older guys with NASCAR t-shirts and bottles of Bud who couldn’t quite stop drooling on themselves when they looked at her. He switched to fives as soon as she awkwardly undid her bikini top, holding them so she could take them without getting too close to the other two. When it was time for the bottom to come off he upped the ante to tens. By the end of the song she was even smiling at him - a real smile, not on of the mechanical ones all strippers learned in their first hour on the job. And he had to admit she was pretty. Light skin and brown hair that hung just past her shoulders.

He’d shifted to a table by the time she came out with the drink tray, wearing cutoffs and a black t-shirt emblazoned with the logo AC/DC on the front and the album cover from “Highway to Hell” on the back. They kept it cool enough inside he could tell she wasn’t wearing a bra, and he almost chuckled when he saw her smile when she spotted him and headed straight for his table. “Can I get you something?” Her voice was throaty but not especially deep. He liked it.

“Yeah. A beer. Don’t care what brand so long’s it’s cold.”

She smiled and started to turn when one of the Bubbas from the floor ambled over. “Guess you didn’t see it, sport. We got claim on this filly.”

“I don’t think so.” Hector pitched his voice low, but with an edge a smart person wouldn’t miss.

Bubba wasn’t smart. “Look, you damned greaser, we…”

Hector stood, letting his shirt open just enough for the butt of the Beretta to peek out. “An’ you must not speak English. She’s with me.”

“Uh…hey, man. Sorry. My mistake. Me an’ Ed didn’t mean nothin’.”

The girl giggled as the fat man stumbled back to his friend. They talked for a moment, one Bubba more animated than the other, and eventually both headed for the door. Only then did she let out a long sigh. “Thanks. Those two were up there for my whole set. The only ones. I was afraid…”

“No worries. An’ if they let you, bring a beer for yourself. Or a drink. Whatever.” He sat back down, not trusting himself to say much more. He’d known he’d fall for her as soon as he walked in and saw her on the pole. His damned weakness. But it was all good. She’d be his prize for a job well done once Tubbs was gator chow somewhere in the swamps. And maybe past that. A good player needed someone on his arm, and she looked to fit the bill. So long as she was clean. He’d learned long ago you never trust a junkie. No more than you would a dealer who dipped into his own supply.

Ricardo Tubbs was flipping through time cards when Lester burst into his office. “The phone just went live again,” he said, short of breath from making the run from the main surveillance desk to the office. “She’s still in group, but should be done in about ten minutes.”

“Solid.” Rico dropped the cards, his mind turning. “Hang on, Lester. I wanna do a little test. See if she comes to us with the message.”

“See if she’s playing it straight? I like it. I’ll tell Stan to back off and wait.”

Rico through about asking him how that would work, since Stran was in the Roach Coach off on some mystery Castillo mission. But he didn’t. Don’t hurt to let Team Elvis think they’re pullin’ a fast one he thought, gathering the cards into a neat pile again. Though you’d think they’d remember the cameras on the gates. “You do that,” he said, hiding his smile. “An’ let me know as soon as she reaches out.”

It felt like only a handful of minutes had passed when the phone buzzed. “She just had one of the guards call me,” Lester said, excitement clear in his voice. “I’ve got her bringing Ramona down here with the phone.”

“Send her to interview two. It’s more relaxed.” Rico got up, buttoning the lower button on his Armani suit jacket. He could feel the old spring coming back into his step. It was like old times. Almost.

Ramona was a pretty girl, especially with her hair gathered back to accent her fine cheekbones and bright eyes. She was sitting in the corner chair when Rico got to interview two, and it was plain she’d been crying. “I heard from Jangles,” she said as soon as the door opened.

“That’s what Lester said.” He sat down in one of the other chairs, careful to keep Lester’s vantage point clear. He also raised a finger, signaling the tech specialist to start the video recorder. No way I’m gonna be alone in here with her without some kinda safety net. He knew Lester could see everything from his perch on the other side of the glass. “What did the chump want? And remember, you start telling lies this is all over.”

She sobbed. “It’s not about the job. He…” She looked down at her hands and then opened the flip phone. “He said one of my friends from the block is in trouble. Bad trouble.”

“Have you answered him yet?”

“No. I wanted you to see.”

He looked at the blocky digital letters. “And Carmelita’s your friend?”

“Yes. She’s pretty. Too pretty. I know one of the gang honchos wanted her for his girl. She wouldn’t go with him. But things change.”

“Look. Text him back. Find out what’s going on.” Rico could see the pain in her eyes. It wasn’t fake. He’d have Jenny or Trudy talk to her later to make sure, but he’d worked the streets a long time. This girl wasn’t faking it. She was scared. Not for herself, but for someone else. “We might be able to help her.”

Nodding, she sobbed again and started tapping keys on the small keypad. Then she hit send and laid the phone down on the table. “She was always the good one. Good in school. Her grandma kept her good.”

“And those chumps wanted her?”

“Yes. They tried to get me to bring her to them. But she’s my friend. I couldn’t do that to her.” Her eyes flashed angry. “I made bad choices, sure. But some were made for me, you know? I wouldn’t do that to her.”

Rico nodded without speaking. He’d seen it before. Girls tricked into the life by their friends. Their mothers’ boyfriends. Sometimes their own mothers. Anyone who went on about the morals of the street was either a damned idiot or didn’t know the first thing about the streets.

“You must think I’m a bad person.”

“No, Ramona. I don’t. I think you did what you could with what you had, and some people who shouldn’t have turned on you did. But that’s over now. You told me that when you said you didn’t want your friend to go the same way you did.”

She smiled, a faint thing through the sadness in her eyes. “This place…it gives me hope even though I haven’t been here long. Some of the other girls have really had it bad. If they can turn things around, I should be able to.” She was about to say something else when the phone buzzed for attention. She looked down at it and started to shake. “I was right. Francisco is after her.”

“Who?”

“He’s a jefe in one of the Little Havana gangs. A bad man.”

Rico nodded. But something didn’t add up. “Why would he tell you this? When there’s nothing you can do.”

“He says he wants to help. He’ll let me know tomorrow what is to be done.” She snapped the phone shut with another sob. “But how will I…”

“Look, let me get ahold of Nichole.” He turned to look at the mirror, knowing Lester was already punching numbers in the phone. “She can help you figure some of this out, and then get some sleep. You have my word we’ll help your friend.”

He stayed with her until the guard came to escort the girl to Nichole’s office. Then he headed for the tech room, his eyes dark and intense. He could feel the anger, the old cop anger, running through his body now. Times like this he wished he had Sonny’s Burnett focus. But he didn’t. He just had good old fashioned New York street cop anger.

Lester looked up from his two monitors. “Already on it, Rico. I backdoored into Miami-Dade and I’m trolling the gang database for anyone in Little Havana’s structure named Franciso. Should give me the phone book, but then I can trim it down based on position.”

“Solid. Let me guess, you believe her, too.”

“Hard not to with those eyes, boss. But yeah, I think she’s got a friend named Carmelita and she thinks she’s in trouble. If she is in trouble or not’s a whole other question, though.”

“Yeah. I thought of that. We gotta be sure.”

“I’ll do what I can. Maybe call Trudy and Gina, too. See if they have any old CIs who might have some information.”

“Do it. I gotta get back an’ make a couple of adjustments to the rounds schedule tonight.”

When Mindy came down to get him so they could leave, she found him staring at the computer screen. “Hey, babe…we gotta get going.”

“What? Oh, sorry.” He rubbed his eyes, understanding how much time had slipped past him. “I got caught up in that whole Ramona thing.”

“Trudy told me about it. She talked to the girl after Nichole was done.” Mindy came around the desk and touched his shoulder. “She thinks the kid’s telling the truth.”

“At least as far as she knows it.” Rico sighted. “I don’t think she’s playin’ us, either. What I want to know is if Jangles is playin’ her.”

Before Mindy could answer, Lester came through the door. “I don’t know if he is or not, boss, but there is a guy named Francisco in the top tier of some Little Havana bunch called the Barrio Banditos.” He grinned. “Yeah, I know. Lousy name. But they’re a nasty bunch. Some drugs, mostly weed and a bit of crack now and then. Their main trade is girls. They grab ‘em, break ‘em, and then turn them out. Vice hasn’t made much headway, but they think they might even sell ‘em to other gangs.”

“No wonder she’s scared.” Rico turned to Mindy. “We’re gonna help her as best we can. Don’t worry.” Then he turned back to Lester. “Can you fill Sonny in? I think he’s still meeting with those contractor chumps. I gotta get moving. Mindy’s got a doctor’s appointment.”

“I thought you forgot.”

“Never, pretty lady. Now let’s get the hell out of here before we start gettin’ nasty calls from that battle-ax nurse.”

“Rico! She’s not that bad.”

“They say that about Atilla the Hun, too, but I ain’t gonna test either one.” He grinned and shut down his computer. “Tell Sonny to call me if he has questions.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

“I know. At least part of me does. But another part…it feels like when my brother was killed, you know? The illusion of being safe is gone. I…”

I can completely understand what Trudy must need feeling. So realistic. I’m glad she and Marty are working through it with Tex... his flashbacks make me uneasy for him too. 
I know I’ve said it before but this is such a well-written story! I’m on the edge of my seat and so nervous for our team, especially when life is just coming together! 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MrsCastillo said:

I can completely understand what Trudy must need feeling. So realistic. I’m glad she and Marty are working through it with Tex... his flashbacks make me uneasy for him too. 
I know I’ve said it before but this is such a well-written story! I’m on the edge of my seat and so nervous for our team, especially when life is just coming together! 

I know I’ve said it before, but I’m glad you’re enjoying it!