Directing episodes

RedDragon86

I am interested to know who decides who directs each episode and why. What is the process, especially for guys who are not directors e.g  Bill Duke who did a fine job in "Baseball's of Death" or Dick Miller the actor who starred in Gremlins is chosen to direct "The Fix"

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

I am interested to know who decides who directs each episode and why. What is the process, especially for guys who are not directors e.g  Bill Duke who did a fine job in "Baseball's of Death" or Dick Miller the actor who starred in Gremlins is chosen to direct "The Fix"

In this period, the producers made the  decision and generally drew from a pool of experienced TV directors.  I’m referring to hour-long, single camera series in this case, as opposed to sitcoms or other types of shows.  Inevitably over time, some of the stars of the show might display an interest in trying to direct and many are given the chance.  Both DJ and EJO both directed episodes of MV.  Some former TV actors went on to much more prolific directing careers, like Paul Michael Glaser and Thomas Carter.  Both of those actors got their first directing shot on their own series, Starsky and Hutch and The White Shadow.

If you keep an eye on the credits from a particular era, you will often see the same director’s names pop up on many different shows.  Look up Virgil W Vogel, Richard Compton, Russ Mayberry, or Alan J Levi.  They all directed a few episodes of MV but also other shows of the era like, Magnum pi, Airwolf, Quantum Leap, and many others.  This pattern is less true today than in the past, as many series are shorter and completely scripted before any photography begins.  They are much more cohesive like the old miniseries from the past.

Directors on these older TV series were much more about the technical and practical parts of the job, as opposed to the creative elements film directors contribute.  It’s still often the case today though.  A director typically signs onto a job not necessarily knowing much about the series’ details because they work on so many different shows.  They do a little homework but will defer to the show runner, regular actors, the script supervisor, etc... about any storytelling elements because they are all more familiar with those details.  They will often defer to the director of photography about visual elements also to maintain continuity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Thanks, that was very insightful. 

Dick Miller being picked was an odd one though, seeing as how was not a TV director.

I agree 

The Fix wasn’t the best episode either.

50 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Thanks, that was very insightful. 

Dick Miller being picked was an odd one though, seeing as how was not a TV director.

No worries.  I worked as a production assistant for two seasons on Baywatch in the early 90’s and learned a LOT!  There was a different director almost every week, apparently including Hasselhoff, but long after I left.  I left the industry pretty shortly thereafter and I know much has changed.  They were still using Panaflex film cameras back then.

It looks like Dick Miller directed just that one episode, ever, so I agree that it’s odd.   I also found out he wrote a few things too, including the blaxploitation Kung fu film TNT Jackson!  I’m a fan of the genre and probably enjoyed it more than most, but never realized he co-wrote it.

8A2FAF3F-61C2-453A-92D4-183803B61E5D.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OCBman said:

Russ Mayberry (director of "Over the Line" and "Freefall") also directed several episodes of "The Brady Bunch".

He had 80 directing credits including The Rockford Files, Baretta, magnum p.i., The Streets of San Francisco, Kojak, The Fall Guy, Ironside, McCloud, The 6 Million Dollar Man, Barnaby Jones, Baa Baa Black Sheep, and In the Heat of the Night to name a few.  He’s a great example of the kind of journeyman director in TV I was talking about.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Matt5 said:

I agree 

The Fix wasn’t the best episode either.

The acting from the father and son could have been better but its still a strong episode with a good story.

• Like 1

Just to add regarding selection of directors: next to experienced TV directors and actors (Soul, Johnson, Glaser,...) they also let crew members especially DPs (Director of Photography) and ADs (assistant directors) direct. Examples are James Contner (Asian Cut, DP for several episodes), Chip Chalmers (1st AD season 4-5, Lost Madonna), Michael Hoggan (Cell within).

This makes sense since ADs and DPs have good overall and also hands-on experience about directing, camera work, etc...).

And, finally some people only directed on paper: Craig Bolotin wrote and directed One way ticket but Bolotin was a young writer and had no directing experience and DJ „took over“ and directed most scenes. 

also it should be distinguished between principal photography and correction/ reshoots. The latter (correction shoots or scenes added at last minute, eg in El Viejo, Phil the shill) was often done shortly before airing with the Director long gone and often DJ directed these accordingly.

Edited by Tom
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Tom said:

Just to add regarding selection of directors: next to experienced TV directors and actors (Soul, Johnson, Glaser,...) they also let crew members especially DPs (Director of Photography) and ADs (assistant directors) direct. Examples are James Contner (Asian Cut, DP for several episodes), Chip Chalmers (1st AD season 4-5, Lost Madonna), Michael Hoggan (Cell within).

This makes sense since ADs and DPs have good overall and also hands-on experience about directing, camera work, etc...).

And, finally some people only directed on paper: Craig Bolotin wrote and directed One way ticket but Bolotin was a young writer and had no directing experience and DJ „took over“ and directed most scenes. 

also it should be distinguished between principal photography and correction/ reshoots. The latter (correction shoots or scenes added at last minute, eg in El Viejo, Phil the shill) was often done shortly before airing with the Director long gone and often DJ directed these accordingly.

Thank's for that! I never knew Don took over directing those episodes you mentioned, some of my favourites as well.

So Don took over from Nicolella's directing duties in El Viejo, or am I reading this wrong?

vor 13 Minuten schrieb RedDragon86:

Thank's for that! I never knew Don took over directing those episodes you mentioned, some of my favourites as well.

So Don took over from Nicolella's directing duties in El Viejo, or am I reading this wrong?

Nicolella did not direct El Viejo. Aaron Lipstadt did. I don´t know about this specific episode who directed the new teaser and the correction shots on the Mac Arthur Causeway for the car shooting. But I know for a fact that DJ directed e.g. lots of correction filming in several early season 4 episodes such as God´s work, The big Thaw and Child´s play.

DJ was often used as "fall back soluton". First he was eager to direct on set anyway regardless who was directing. Second, he knew every one and everything and was quite good in organizing. So, when they found out that a scene had to be filmed again or new last minute and the original director has left, it was easiest to tell Johnson to stage these few scenes. He was constantly talking to all producers and key staff anyway and he was onsite in Miami. (important to understand that most production meetings were held on the weekend or on holidays when there was no filming. So, DJ could attend the next production meeting easily on a Sat/Sun without hampering filming which took place only Mon-Fri).

P.S. It´s DJs credit that Chip Chalmers directed Lost madonna. At Christmas 88, DJ sat next to Chalmers at lunch and asked him if he wanted to direct. Chalmers confirmed. DJ promised to talk to the producers and he did. He made some calls and urged them until they let Chalmers direct. Chalmers was happy as a directing credit on MV was gold for his career and also it was his last chance as the series was cancelled one week after he directed his episode. So, DJ had a lot of influence on directors (and scripts as he had final script approval since season 3).

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Tom said:

Nicolella did not direct El Viejo. Aaron Lipstadt did. I don´t know about this specific episode who directed the new teaser and the correction shots on the Mac Arthur Causeway for the car shooting. But I know for a fact that DJ directed e.g. lots of correction filming in several early season 4 episodes such as God´s work, The big Thaw and Child´s play.

DJ was often used as "fall back soluton". First he was eager to direct on set anyway regardless who was directing. Second, he knew every one and everything and was quite good in organizing. So, when they found out that a scene had to be filmed again or new last minute and the original director has left, it was easiest to tell Johnson to stage these few scenes. He was constantly talking to all producers and key staff anyway and he was onsite in Miami. (important to understand that most production meetings were held on the weekend or on holidays when there was no filming. So, DJ could attend the next production meeting easily on a Sat/Sun without hampering filming which took place only Mon-Fri).

P.S. It´s DJs credit that Chip Chalmers directed Lost madonna. At Christmas 88, DJ sat next to Chalmers at lunch and asked him if he wanted to direct. Chalmers confirmed. DJ promised to talk to the producers and he did. He made some calls and urged them until they let Chalmers direct. Chalmers was happy as a directing credit on MV was gold for his career and also it was his last chance as the series was cancelled one week after he directed his episode. So, DJ had a lot of influence on directors (and scripts as he had final script approval since season 3).

Sorry I got that one mixed up with "Duty and Honor"

Thanks again, so interesting to learn things like this :)

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Good points all.  I didn’t even get into the union rules in my first post.  The Directors Guild of America DGA has some very specific rules making sure that AD’s get directing opportunities after a certain amount of experience.  They often become second unit directors before they get their shot.  Of course, knowing the right people can speed that process up.  DP’s are a different union (ICG) typically, which can cause some hiccups.