Sean Connery Passed Away

timm525

Man...this freakin year.  Eddie Van Halen a couple of weeks ago, and now Sir Connery.  I'm glad he got to enjoy some relaxing in his older years.  Thanks for the years of entertainment....rest well.

• Like 2

Sir Sean, you mean. I loved him in Highlander, but it always bothered me that the guy who sounded Scottish was supposed to be Egyptian by way of Spain... He made The Untouchables for me as well. Great actor.

It's very sad that he passed away, but on the other hand he was 90 years old and he had the luck to pass away peaceful while sleeping.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

Sir Sean, you mean. I loved him in Highlander, but it always bothered me that the guy who sounded Scottish was supposed to be Egyptian by way of Spain... He made The Untouchables for me as well. Great actor.

I think the fact that they live for so long (hundreds of years?) they pick up so many different accents. The cop who interrogates Conor tells him that his accent is weird and ask him where he from "lots of different places"

4 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I think the fact that they live for so long (hundreds of years?) they pick up so many different accents. The cop who interrogates Conor tells him that his accent is weird and ask him where he from "lots of different places"

I think it was just sloppy ways to cover up the accent issues. Doesn't detract in the least from Sir Sean's performance, mind. The movie world is less due to his passing. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

I think it was just sloppy ways to cover up the accent issues. Doesn't detract in the least from Sir Sean's performance, mind. The movie world is less due to his passing. 

For an in-world/movie explanation one could argue that since Ramirez was one of the oldest immortals and hence had the time to travel the world and learn different accents and languages.

Just a theory.

Edited by RedDragon86

12 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

For an in-world/movie explanation one could argue that since Ramirez was one of the oldest immortals and hence had the time to travel the world and learn different accents and languages.

Just a theory.

I think that's the explanation we were always expected to believe. They may even say so on the commentary for the dvd although it's been awhile since I've listened to that. But that doesn't excuse Lambert's accent, which was wack even before he became immortal. The fact of the matter is Connery simply was never a chameleonlike actor such as De Niro,  Day-Lewis, or even Ed Norton. He was always more from the Eastwood/Bronson/Bogart/McQueen school. Even as a Russian submarine commander he didn't change much. But there were things he could do when given the opportunity to go deep, such as Dr Henry Jones (Indy's dad) who was not a "cool dude" but a bookish, obsessive, and emotionally stunted individual. Finding Forrester, Medicine Man, and Name of the Rose (which I'm not a fan of) are examples of this. I always respected Connery very much though, because much like Christopher Walken, he was never afraid to branch out and take chances, and that gave us a lot of cool and fun genre films like Highlander itself.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

I think that's the explanation we were always expected to believe. They may even say so on the commentary for the dvd although it's been awhile since I've listened to that. But that doesn't excuse Lambert's accent, which was wack even before he became immortal. The fact of the matter is Connery simply was never a chameleonlike actor such as De Niro,  Day-Lewis, or even Ed Norton. He was always more from the Eastwood/Bronson/Bogart/McQueen school. Even as a Russian submarine commander he didn't change much. But there were things he could do when given the opportunity to go deep, such as Dr Henry Jones (Indy's dad) who was not a "cool dude" but a bookish, obsessive, and emotionally stunted individual. Finding Forrester, Medicine Man, and Name of the Rose (which I'm not a fan of) are examples of this. I always respected Connery very much though, because much like Christopher Walken, he was never afraid to branch out and take chances, and that gave us a lot of cool and fun genre films like Highlander itself.

Very much so. I also think quite bit of it had to do with Sir Sean's pride in his origins and roots. He was Scottish, and wasn't going to obscure that for anyone. And thanks for mentioning Finding Forrester. I enjoy that movie quite a bit. And that was also my point with Lambert...he was supposed to be Scottish or whatever but never sounded that way.

On 11/1/2020 at 7:04 AM, Robbie C. said:

Very much so. I also think quite bit of it had to do with Sir Sean's pride in his origins and roots. He was Scottish, and wasn't going to obscure that for anyone. And thanks for mentioning Finding Forrester. I enjoy that movie quite a bit. And that was also my point with Lambert...he was supposed to be Scottish or whatever but never sounded that way.

He had “Scotland Forever” tattooed on his arm during his time in the Royal Navy in the late 40’s, so that pride ran deep and a long way back!

Edited by pahonu

Today I heard very amazing news, but don't take it too serious.;) In this fictive biography James Bond was born on 11th of November 1920 and so he would have celebrated his 100th birthday. On this day his parents had been in Germany, For the birth of their child they wanted to return to Great Britain, but they couldn't because of a railway workers strike. So James was born in Germany and lived there until he was five. Then he and his parents returned to Great Britain where he later, as we all know became a 00 Agent.:dance2::)

• Like 1