DVD/Blu-ray, HD & Bonus, which is better

MichaelAce

Maybe someday I'll buy the complete set of DVDs to watch MV but I'd really want to have the highest definition possible with the right music (for example Cry by Godley & Creme instead of Definitely Miami by Jan Hammer etc) and the most extras

If I have to buy the Blu-Ray version, this means that I'll also have to buy a Blu-Ray reader I guess
Does the most recent DVD version have everything I need ?

12 minutes ago, MichaelAce said:

(for example Cry by Godley & Creme instead of Definitely Miami by Jan Hammer etc)

Without completing derailing this thread, does anyone remember the final word on this particular part?

4 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Without completing derailing this thread, does anyone remember the final word on this particular part?

Yes! @ivoryjonesdebunked this! He has a recording from the original NBC broadcast and Godley & Creme’s “Cry” was definitely there in the final scene.

I believe somebody said that part of the confusion may have been because they play the album version which has a longer instrumental intro than the single version.

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Yes you will need a blu-ray player. The good news is that they have become dirt cheap and they will play your regular DVDs and even your music CDs

24 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

Yes you will need a blu-ray player. The good news is that they have become dirt cheap and they will play your regular DVDs and even your music CDs

so the DVD version is 720p and the Blu-ray is 1080p right ? That's what I found searching the internet

21 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

And the blu-ray player upscales the DVD's from 480i to 576i.

4 minutes ago, MichaelAce said:

so the DVD version is 720p and the Blu-ray is 1080p right ? That's what I found searching the internet

DVD's are 480i or 480p. 720p/1080p/4k are blu-ray discs.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Ferrariman:

Yep, you can get a very good brand BR player for 70-100 bucks. I bought the US DVD set in 2007 and the German Koch BRay set 1 month ago. I have to say that the visual superiority of BR over DVD is obvious, let alone that Koch has made the best HD Universal master encoding so far. I´ve never seen my favorite TV series like now with the BR. Colors, sharpness, contrast is as close to the original as possible. And with original I mean the 35mm Panavision film material VICE was filmed on which translates to 4K quality, provided someone will make a 4K master from the film material as opposed to the HD (1080) density Universal master there is now as the only source for all labels.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yep, you can get a very good brand BR player for 70-100 bucks. I bought the US DVD set in 2007 and the German Koch BRay set 1 month ago. I have to say that the visual superiority of BR over DVD is obvious, let alone that Koch has made the best HD Universal master encoding so far. I´ve never seen my favorite TV series like now with the BR. Colors, sharpness, contrast is as close to the original as possible. And with original I mean the 35mm Panavision film material VICE was filmed on which translates to 4K quality, provided someone will make a 4K master from the film material as opposed to the HD (1080) density Universal master there is now as the only source for all labels.

Do you have a link for a BluRay discs set with all languages, subtitles and extras ? One that would allow me to watch with English audio and french subtitles for example

vor 4 Minuten schrieb MichaelAce:

Do you have a link for a BluRay discs set with all languages, subtitles and extras ? One that would allow me to watch with English audio and french subtitles for example

Sorry no real comparison table that I know of. But as far as I remember the German Koch set released in October is the only one with subtitles and languages (German/English). All labels that released BRs before Koch made it pretty fast and cheap and dropped subtitles and other languages.

Edited by Tom

17 hours ago, MichaelAce said:

For that you want this Blu-ray release from Elephant.

If you want German or English subs, it's this one from Koch

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My early self made Christmas present arrived! It's the Mill Creek version meant as my first aid kit to serve the cravings. Goal is to buy the Koch edition once I finf out, if ever, if it works here in the US. 

85E0BDC7-42FE-45A2-936C-E798AB872B99.jpeg

Edited by Jamy68
  • Like 3

On 11/17/2020 at 1:11 PM, Tom said:

Sorry no real comparison table that I know of. But as far as I remember the German Koch set released in October is the only one with subtitles and languages (German/English). All labels that released BRs before Koch made it pretty fast and cheap and dropped subtitles and other languages.

Do you know if the subtitles can be disabled? I am bilingual and would like to watch original or German without subtitles. I am interested in the Koch edition due to offering German language and their good reviews regarding quality. It seems to be the all around all inclusive package for me.

Edited by Jamy68

vor 10 Minuten schrieb Jamy68:

Do you know if the subtitles can be disabled? I am bilingual and would like to watch original or German without subtitles. I am interested in the Koch edition due to offering German language and their good reviews regarding quality. It seems to be the all around all inclusive package for me.

yes, of course subtitles can be disabled. There are two subtitle languages to select (German or English) or you can turn subtitles off completely - which is the default anyway. As with any other DVD/BluRay with subtitles.

Edited by Tom

5 hours ago, Tom said:

yes, of course subtitles can be disabled. There are two subtitle languages to select (German or English) or you can turn subtitles off completely - which is the default anyway. As with any other DVD/BluRay with subtitles.

Thank you. By chance do you know if it runs with a US player or is it coded only for German / Euro ones?

Gerade eben schrieb Glades:

Sorry, but it´s region 2 (Europe).

Are you sure? I have not checked it yet, but BluRAys have ABC region coding (A=Americas, B=Europe, Middleeast, Australia, C=Japan, Korea, ...), DVDs have 1 and 2 regions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Are you sure? I have not checked it yet, but BluRAys have ABC region coding (A=Americas, B=Europe, Middleeast, Australia, C=Japan, Korea, ...), DVDs have 1 and 2 regions.

Tom, you are right!

But it´s Europe, not US. So it´s region B. I´ve got a region free blueray-player, where I can choose whether I need region A or B (or C). And I have to choose the region for Europe.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 2:40 PM, Jamy68 said:

My early self made Christmas present arrived! It's the Mill Creek version meant as my first aid kit to serve the cravings. Goal is to buy the Koch edition once I finf out, if ever, if it works here in the US. 

85E0BDC7-42FE-45A2-936C-E798AB872B99.jpeg

The best.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 6:20 PM, Glades said:

Tom, you are right!

But it´s Europe, not US. So it´s region B. I´ve got a region free blueray-player, where I can choose whether I need region A or B (or C). And I have to choose the region for Europe.

That's great. I remember back in the days you could manipulate dvd players from certain brands but it was a hassle. I will look into a region free player. 

On 12/21/2020 at 4:56 PM, Glades said:

Sorry, but it´s region 2 (Europe).

Thank you, I figured. But now I know there's something like a region free palyer. That's the solution for me as a non tech person.

Edited by Jamy68

On 12/24/2020 at 7:14 PM, Jamy68 said:

Thank you, I figured. But now I know there's something like a region free palyer. That's the solution for me as a non tech person.

The Koch set comes in a lot of packaging for the number of discs. It would not suprise me at all if it's the big box and digipaks which are exclusive to their shop and that, in the fullness of time, they want to get some revenue from their discs by selling them through other outlets like amazon. At which point, I'd expect, in order for them not to be reneging on their exclusive, the discs to be rehoused in more regular packaging and for the overall price to be lower. May never happen, but I think it's worth keeping an eye on, especially if you're looking at the price of a new player on top :)

Edited by bodie
spelling