Caroline & Mannix

ViceFanMan

I’ve recently been going through the detective show Mannix (1967-1975), starring Mike Connors. Tonight I was watching a Season 6 episode from the fall of 1972, called “One Step To Midnight”...and I realized the female guest star was a very young, and brunette, Belinda Montgomery! Another guest star was Christopher Connelly...who is most remembered from the prime time drama TV series Peyton Place. Here’s a pic of Belinda from this episode—not a great pic & it’s very close up, but only one I found :p:

5E8398BC-8CEB-41D5-B6A5-D850217506CA.jpeg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I’ve recently been going through the detective show Mannix (1967-1975), starring Mike Connors. Tonight I was watching a Season 6 episode from the fall of 1972, called “One Step To Midnight”...and I realized the female guest star was a very young, and brunette, Belinda Montgomery! Another guest star was Christopher Connelly...who is most remembered from the prime time drama TV series Peyton Place. Here’s a pic of Belinda from this episode—not a great pic & it’s very close up, but only one I found :p:

5E8398BC-8CEB-41D5-B6A5-D850217506CA.jpeg

Hey ViceFanMan,

I’ve been recording the METV late night lineup of Mannix, Cannon, and Barnaby Jones for several months.  My favorite by far is Cannon.  Barnaby Jones is pretty hit and miss, but I’m still watching many episodes though I’ve erased many after giving it 10-15 minutes and losing interest.

I really tried to watch Mannix and after erasing many episodes unfinished, I ended up deleting it from the recording list.  I recorded about three or four seasons worth but couldn’t get into it.  I’ve followed this pattern of recording and watching for quite a few series, including Kojak and Starsky and Hutch, but Mannix was the first I gave up on entirely.  Hard to explain why really.

23 hours ago, pahonu said:

Hey ViceFanMan,

I’ve been recording the METV late night lineup of Mannix, Cannon, and Barnaby Jones for several months.  My favorite by far is Cannon.  Barnaby Jones is pretty hit and miss, but I’m still watching many episodes though I’ve erased many after giving it 10-15 minutes and losing interest.

I really tried to watch Mannix and after erasing many episodes unfinished, I ended up deleting it from the recording list.  I recorded about three or four seasons worth but couldn’t get into it.  I’ve followed this pattern of recording and watching for quite a few series, including Kojak and Starsky and Hutch, but Mannix was the first I gave up on entirely.  Hard to explain why really.

I’m sorry you couldn’t get into Mannix...I’ve really liked it and have enjoyed going through it for the first time! It was very popular while it was on. 

I’ve not ever seen Cannon or Barnaby Jones...but both of those show’s stars don’t  interest me. But, maybe sometime I’ll check em out. 

3 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I’m sorry you couldn’t get into Mannix...I’ve really liked it and have enjoyed going through it for the first time! It was very popular while it was on. 

I’ve not ever seen Cannon or Barnaby Jones...but both of those show’s stars don’t  interest me. But, maybe sometime I’ll check em out. 

I can definitely say that I find the stories in Cannon more interesting than the other two.  William Conrad was a compelling actor, if not a star.  I think that might be why I prefer it, the stories rather than the actor.  Buddy Ebson in Barnaby Jones is nothing special, but a lot of the stories are still very clever, though less consistent.  My favorite show of all time, The Rockford Files, has the best of both!  I think that The Streets of San Francisco also combined those two elements very well, plus it’s in a unique location.  All the other series are based in the LA area, where I am, and I see a LOT of the same locations in them.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 2:52 PM, pahonu said:

I can definitely say that I find the stories in Cannon more interesting than the other two.  William Conrad was a compelling actor, if not a star.  I think that might be why I prefer it, the stories rather than the actor.  Buddy Ebson in Barnaby Jones is nothing special, but a lot of the stories are still very clever, though less consistent.  My favorite show of all time, The Rockford Files, has the best of both!  I think that The Streets of San Francisco also combined those two elements very well, plus it’s in a unique location.  All the other series are based in the LA area, where I am, and I see a LOT of the same locations in them.

Despite a non-memorable (my opinion) theme song, I’ve actually found the majority of Mannix plots & storylines to be interesting and more realistic (for TV at the time) than some of the other shows. There was depth & feeling behind the stories & characters, and you could tell. I thought Mike Connors was a very good actor, and not a typical Hollywood whacko. 

I cannot get past Buddy Ebson from being one of the Beverly Hillbillies. :) Cannon/William Conrad just don’t seem interesting to me...but I have not seen either show, so maybe someday I’ll check em out.

I love Streets of San Francisco...amazingly well written show! However, Frisco isn’t that unique of a location. ;) Other shows were set/filmed there as well (such as Ironside). But, it’s a “fun” location for some aspects, compared to maybe LA. 

I have yet to see or get Rockford Files (both original series & reunion movies). It’s definitely on my list! :thumbsup: Isn’t there two different sets of Rockford out...but one is actually more complete than the other? 

I’m not sure about Rockford DVD sets, sorry.  I bought mine one season at a time as they were released, including the two sets of movies.  The first season was way back, 15+ years ago.  The second set of movies was only about 4-5 years ago.

I used to watch Ironside reruns with my father.  I enjoyed it, but they filmed shows differently in the 60’s though.  They used way more stock exterior shots and then filmed on studio sets.  They also filmed lots of exterior scenes on studio backlots.  Mannix did this too.  The scenes outside his office were at Paramount Studios.  I’ve been there and seen the area.  The interior sets are long gone. 

Shows also typically filmed driving scenes on a stage with a moving background.  Hawaiian Eye and Surfside Six set in Miami were all filmed at Warner Bros, all with stock footage and almost no location work.  Even starting in 67, Ironside followed this pattern though it was starting to change.  By the time of TSoSF, it was becoming common to use more location shooting and that’s what I enjoy seeing.  

Mannix and Ironside had the same run from 67-75, by the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pahonu said:

I’m not sure about Rockford DVD sets, sorry.  I bought mine one season at a time as they were released, including the two sets of movies.  The first season was way back, 15+ years ago.  The second set of movies was only about 4-5 years ago.

I used to watch Ironside reruns with my father.  I enjoyed it, but they filmed shows differently in the 60’s though.  They used way more stock exterior shots and then filmed on studio sets.  They also filmed lots of exterior scenes on studio backlots.  Mannix did this too.  The scenes outside his office were at Paramount Studios.  I’ve been there and seen the area.  The interior sets are long gone. 

Shows also typically filmed driving scenes on a stage with a moving background.  Hawaiian Eye and Surfside Six set in Miami were all filmed at Warner Bros, all with stock footage and almost no location work.  Even starting in 67, Ironside followed this pattern though it was starting to change.  By the time of TSoSF, it was becoming common to use more location shooting and that’s what I enjoy seeing.  

Mannix and Ironside had the same run from 67-75, by the way.

I’d read from someone a while back that Rockford Files had a couple different complete series releases, but only one was truly complete...I’ll have to check more into it.

Yes, I knew both Ironside & Mannix had the exact same run...which I’ve always found interesting. You are correct...all the old Warner Bros. detective shows from the late 50s-early 60s (77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Bourbon Street Beat, Surfside 6, etc...) were all filmed on sound stages/back lots, as back then filming on location for TV shows was deemed too expensive.

Although the interiors of Ironside were mostly filmed on a sound stage...a lot of the exteriors and/or exterior shots were filmed on location in Frisco—as even the building they built the sound stage for the interior of Ironside’s office/home was an old warehouse in downtown Frisco. 

Mannix’s office was sound stages and on the back lot at Paramount, true...but that actually doesn’t really bother me. It still works for the episode and the plots/characters were captivating enough to make up for a possible back lot city curb or hotel building, instead of one in downtown LA. I love and have all those old WB detective shows I listed above (except Bourbon), and it’s all fun and entertaining! :thumbsup: 

The first TV show to literally film all on location in the actual city and surrounding area/other islands (except interiors were still on a sound stage built there to accommodate being there) was the original Hawaii Five-0 (1968-1980). Originally CBS told producers it couldn’t be done & much would have to be done back in Hollywood (like Hawaiian Eye). Producers said no, we can do it, watch & see.

It became one of the most popular & iconic cop-dramas in TV history, & until 2003 was the longest lasting crime drama. Murder She Wrote tied it in 1996, but the original Law & Order passed it up in 03. Now L&O’s spin off SVU has passed them all up. Not a fan of SVU, but it is what it is. ;) 

Miami Vice also totally filmed on location in and around the Miami area. Even their sound stages for interiors were built there...like 5-0 did.

Edited by ViceFanMan

• 3 months later...