Have a nice first Advent

Christine

On 11/29/2020 at 4:47 AM, Christine said:

Is Advent celebrated in America? If so, I wish everybody here a nice first Advent.

Adventsbilder.jpg

Not really celebrated publicly in the US except maybe by some very devout Christians.  I am a Christian but had to look it up to see what it was.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Glades:

We celebrate it :-)

We  also have 3 (!) Adventskalender.

IMG_9812.jpeg

I live alone and I have two Adventskalender. My son and his life partner gave one to me that contains several small gifts like samples of shampoo or creme or chocolate. That's what I had in it until today.  The other one I had filled myself with scratch cards.

• Like 3

Where I live, Advent is part of the daily life before Christmas for all people. You don't have to be very religious for that. You can buy these Advent wreaths in any supermarket (ours I made myself). And every Sunday you light one more candle until Christmas Eve.
The children (and nowadays adults as well like Christine said) get sweets or a small present from the Advent calendar every single day from December 1 to 24. And during these 3 to 4 weeks there are Christmas markets in every community, mostly on weekends. During the week there are Christmas parties with your colleagues, at school, with your sports team...
Not this year. Everything is different.

Edited by Glades
  • Like 3

Christine, your wreath is beautiful!  Thank you for sharing.

I've done an Advent wreath myself before, when my children were still at home.  They also used to enjoy opening the little doors on an Advent calendar every year.  

A lot of people here have put up their Christmas trees and done their decorating (inside and out) since doing normal things is out due to COVID.  But I've been working so much I've not had the energy to do any Christmas stuff yet. 

• Like 1

vor 15 Stunden schrieb vicegirl85:

A lot of people here have put up their Christmas trees and done their decorating (inside and out) since doing normal things is out due to COVID.  But I've been working so much I've not had the energy to do any Christmas stuff yet. 

I work hard, too, but before Christmas I like baking cookies (this year it took about six hours without the preparation time for the several doughs), and decorate my flat. Not as much as some peolpe do, but a little bit. And every year I put parts of my cookies into small bags and give it to the neigburs in my house or to some of my patients ... and of course I give big cans of cookies to my children and my former husband.:dance2:

• Like 1