Bond Girl Passes Away - RIP Tanya Roberts

timm525

1 hour ago, timm525 said:

Threads merged.

I apologize for posting this story, after you’d already posted about it. I actually looked around in a couple threads I thought were appropriate for it, but I didn’t see yours...guess I didn’t look good enough. I deleted mine, so it doesn’t sound like I’m repeating. Just FYI.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

I just saw it's false report.  Publicist said she's alive.

I just saw this too...but I don’t know how accurate it is. All the other main news sources are still saying she passed away. ?(

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I apologize for posting this story, after you’d already posted about it. I actually looked around in a couple threads I thought were appropriate for it, but I didn’t see yours...guess I didn’t look good enough. I deleted mine, so it doesn’t sound like I’m repeating. Just FYI.

No worries. Threads sometimes get missed and duplicated.

• Administrators

Ok, an article on yahoo news has confirmed that this time she has really passed.  A urinary tract infection caused internal problems eventually leading to a blood infection which was compounded by having hep C in her younger days.

So sad,  R.I.P.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

52 minutes ago, Kladdagh said:

R.I.P. to her ... In the movie with Sir Roger Moore, she wasn't that great but she was a very kind person as I know ... She will be missed ;(

Yeah, Roger Moore’s last 007 (A View to a Kill) should have been superb...as it had a powerhouse cast, including Tanya as the Bond girl! But, the plot & dialogue were pretty silly (when they give a Bond girl the line: “You ‘betcha!”...it just makes you cringe) and it just didn’t come across good. But, I don’t blame Tanya (or Roger)...they did fine with what they were given.

I enjoy Tanya in Charlie’s Angels, Beast Master movies, and some other things. In today’s world 65 is not that old anymore...so sad! ;( 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah, Roger Moore’s last 007 (A View to a Kill) should have been superb...as it had a powerhouse cast, including Tanya as the Bond girl! But, the plot & dialogue were pretty silly (when they give a Bond girl the line: “You ‘betcha!”...it just makes you cringe) and it just didn’t come across good. But, I don’t blame Tanya (or Roger)...they did fine with what they were given.

Agreed, it did have a great cast, and theme!  It was written by Richard Maibaum and Michael Wilson, both with longstanding connections to the series.  I think they were running out of new ideas.  Maibaum wrote the first 4 scripts which were pretty faithful to Fleming’s novels.  After his script for On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, they strayed increasingly more.  By the 80’s, the novels had been filmed and they were simply using titles from the short stories and creating the script stories whole cloth.  A View to a Kill is an example of this.  A lot of the Moore films had some silly dialogue but A View to a Kill also had a pretty convoluted plot.  It had some great set pieces, but it somehow failed to build the necessary tension regarding the villain’s plot.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pahonu said:

Agreed, it did have a great cast, and theme!  It was written by Richard Maibaum and Michael Wilson, both with longstanding connections to the series.  I think they were running out of new ideas.  Maibaum wrote the first 4 scripts which were pretty faithful to Fleming’s novels.  After his script for On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, they strayed increasingly more.  By the 80’s, the novels had been filmed and they were simply using titles from the short stories and creating the script stories whole cloth.  A View to a Kill is an example of this.  A lot of the Moore films had some silly dialogue but A View to a Kill also had a pretty convoluted plot.  It had some great set pieces, but it somehow failed to build the necessary tension regarding the villain’s plot.

Agreed! I actually really like most of Roger Moore’s 007 movies...except the last one (View). I WANT to like it...as it has one of my favorite Bond songs (by Duran Duran), Tanya Roberts as the Bond girl, and Christopher Walken! But, the dialogue was especially ridiculous, and it just seemed like writers/producers had run out of steam. Moore deserved WAY better to go out on, and Tanya deserved better characterization & dialogue. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

15 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Agreed! I actually really like most of Roger Moore’s 007 movies...except the last one (View). I WANT to like it...as it has one of my favorite Bond songs (by Duran Duran), Tanya Roberts as the Bond girl, and Christopher Walken! But, the dialogue was especially ridiculous, and it just seemed like writers/producers had run out of steam. Moore deserved WAY better to go out on, and Tanya deserved better characterization & dialogue. 

Some of Moore’s films got a little too far out for me, but I still enjoy watching them all.  My favorite two are For Your Eyes Only because it returned to a more gritty type of spy film, and The Spy Who Loved Me because it went to the edge but didn’t go over the line with the megalomaniac taking over the world trope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pahonu said:

Some of Moore’s films got a little too far out for me, but I still enjoy watching them all.  My favorite two are For Your Eyes Only because it returned to a more gritty type of spy film, and The Spy Who Loved Me because it went to the edge but didn’t go over the line with the megalomaniac taking over the world trope.

I enjoyed all of Moore’s except View to a Kill...but my favorite of his is definitely Spy Who Loved Me, as well! :clap: I really like Live & Let Die & Man With a Golden Gun, too! For Your Eyes Only is awesome, too, as I love the crossbow & action sequences! :thumbsup: 

16 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I enjoyed all of Moore’s except View to a Kill...but my favorite of his is definitely Spy Who Loved Me, as well! :clap: I really like Live & Let Die & Man With a Golden Gun, too! For Your Eyes Only is awesome, too, as I love the crossbow & action sequences! :thumbsup: 

They all have some really good scenes.  Even A View to a Kill has the opening snow chase and the fight on the Golden Gate Bridge at the end.  The Spy Who Loves Me has the best opening of the series, I think.  For Your Eyes Only has that weird, disconnected opening scene, referencing the earlier Bond films, but otherwise is a great film.

• Like 1

Wow, I find this to be shocking & sad news; I wasn't aware of Tanya Roberts's age, but as ViceFanMan said, 65 isn't old anymore. I rather liked her: glad she had something of a renaissance with her role in "That 70's Show" and I remember watching "Sheena" as a kid (the film gets a lot of flak, but I don't mind it), plus I thought she was pretty good in 1987's "Body Slam". "A View to a Kill" isn't considered a Bond film classic and I don't feel that Roberts had much to work with, but I think the film is okay. Another tough spot for Roberts was her time with "Charlie's Angels": I thought she was fine there, but the show at that point was circling the drain and there wasn't much she could do. I enjoyed her screen presence, which I considered warm & playful. That stuff with her false death, then later confirmed, is a bit odd though.

• Like 1