Gone But Not Forgotten

Bren10

5 hours ago, Bren10 said:

Good, funny piece by JoBlo

Thanks for sharing! The only cringe about this video was how the narrator pronounced the L’s in “Castillo.” Ugh, it’s a very common name and if he watched the show, he’d know how to say it.

Also a shame he didn’t mention the music (unless I missed that, I did skip ahead a little in parts).

57 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

The only cringe about this video was how the narrator pronounced the L’s in “Castillo.”

I always notice Colman pronouncing it that way in “The Savage”, and I always wonder if the (great) actor took that upon himself to add to the character’s dislikability. 

• Haha 2

The way people perceive Miami Vice does my head in, part of the cheesy 80's scene is the total opposite of what I think.

It's still ahead of it's time, its totally misunderstood. Hairstyles blah blah, no other show has touched it.

The first 3 seasons were outstanding. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

The way people perceive Miami Vice does my head in, part of the cheesy 80's scene is the total opposite of what I think.

It's still ahead of it's time, its totally misunderstood. Hairstyles blah blah, no other show has touched it.

The first 3 seasons were outstanding. 

Definitely agree! I didn’t think the show was every cheesy, but I’m a big fan of the 80’s. Hairstyles fads come and go. One could view the shaggy mop-top hair of the 60s and 70s as cheesy as well. What about all the super-skinny fit suits and faded haircuts of today? Not my cup of tea at all.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

Definitely agree! I didn’t think the show was every cheesy, but I’m a big fan of the 80’s. Hairstyles fads come and go. One could view the shaggy mop-top hair of the 60s and 70s as cheesy as well. What about all the super-skinny fit suits and faded haircuts of today? Not my cup of tea at all.

The first time I watched the show, say the opening 10 episodes I was taken back at how deep and intelligent it was. I mean the way people described it, all shoulder pads and palm trees.

I agree the fashion now is dull, most people without admitting it would love to walk around in the summer dressed like say Sonny in season 1 :)

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

The first time I watched the show, say the opening 10 episodes I was taken back at how deep and intelligent it was. I mean the way people described it, all shoulder pads and palm trees.

I agree the fashion now is dull, most people without admitting it would love to walk around in the summer dressed like say Sonny in season 1 :)

LOL, I do dress like Sonny sometimes... and with the shoulder pads and pleated trousers. Some people try to update the look with skinny-fit style. I think the only thing “skinny-fit” for Sonny was his t-shirts in season 1 and 2 were usually very tight.

The show is still very deep and intelligent. Some people say storylines come second after style, but I disagree. Most storylines are very good. They aren’t as complex as some thriller films, but they’re still very interesting and most pull you into the story. Of course there were some silly, strange, or down-right stupid episodes (us fans know which ones) but it’s good to through in some change to mix it up.

The majority of the show blended thriller, film noir, drama, comedy and other genres into a very unique mix. There also seemed to be some influence from music videos and the new “buddy cop” film genre. I think future “buddy cop” movies were then influenced by “Miami Vice” as mentioned in the JoBlo video.

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 3