Winter Vice

AndrewRemington

I’ve thought about this for several years, what if they did an episode of “Miami Vice” where Sonny and Rico went somewhere cold during the winter? Maybe they’d visit New York or Chicago when there’s snow on the ground and it’s so cold you can see their breath? What would they wear? Maybe long trenchcoats? I imagine some dumb criminal running from them and slipping on ice and falling. It seems like a fun idea to shake things up.

• Like 2

Snowboots with no socks :p.  They probably could've incorporated some of that into "Prodigal Son", depending on what time of year it was supposed to be.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

Snowboots with no socks :p.  They probably could've incorporated some of that into "Prodigal Son", depending on what time of year it was supposed to be.

Very true. They decided to air the episode as the season premiere, so thus, it was summer or very early autumn.

38 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

Well, there is that picture of DJ in that grey trench coat, I think? If anyone has that it could be a start.

6FB783A4-D0D1-4E85-87B5-2F0852C8FA11.jpeg

It looks tan or beige to me. He might need a scarf with all that exposed chest! New York City and Chicago get below freezing most nights in the winter.

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Trenchcoat at 30°F? Good luck. Anyway, I don't see how it would have worked. While Tubbs as an original New Yorker with winter experience would have easily picked an outfit that matched his classic and more elegant style, Crockett would have had a massive problem in the biting cold. It's nearly impossible for me to imagine his sort of beach bum attitude going along with thick dark wooly clothes and heavy shoes while still retaining any of his usual effortless coolness. Winter was just not in his nature. He likely would have gotten off the plane wearing one of his regular outfits only to be shocked by the cold and eventually being given a winter coat by a merciful NYPD cop. Think of 'Dead Bang' to get an idea, the part when Jerry Beck goes from California to Oklahoma.

Maybe, if he'd received a heads-up from Tubbs, he might have brought a turtleneck and a wool coat (like the guy on the left below), but then...where would he have been able to get that in Miami?

grafik.png.204e3b4edcc6f95d43cd579ebf5fc167.png

• Like 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb daytona365:

Crockett would have had a massive problem in the biting cold. It's nearly impossible for me to imagine his sort of beach bum attitude going along with thick dark wooly clothes and heavy shoes while still retaining any of his usual effortless coolness. Winter was just not in his nature. He likely would have gotten off the plane wearing one of his regular outfits only to be shocked by the cold and eventually being given a winter coat by a merciful NYPD cop.

I think he would have worn an outfit like in his Costa Morada endeavour (military boots, jacket). That was at least the most winter-like outfit he has ever worn in the series and I doubt that this was departmental-rented gear as opposed to his Armani jackets but rather private stuff he brought along.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2021 at 3:25 AM, daytona365 said:

Trenchcoat at 30°F? Good luck. Anyway, I don't see how it would have worked. While Tubbs as an original New Yorker with winter experience would have easily picked an outfit that matched his classic and more elegant style, Crockett would have had a massive problem in the biting cold. It's nearly impossible for me to imagine his sort of beach bum attitude going along with thick dark wooly clothes and heavy shoes while still retaining any of his usual effortless coolness. Winter was just not in his nature. He likely would have gotten off the plane wearing one of his regular outfits only to be shocked by the cold and eventually being given a winter coat by a merciful NYPD cop. Think of 'Dead Bang' to get an idea, the part when Jerry Beck goes from California to Oklahoma.

Maybe, if he'd received a heads-up from Tubbs, he might have brought a turtleneck and a wool coat (like the guy on the left below), but then...where would he have been able to get that in Miami?

grafik.png.204e3b4edcc6f95d43cd579ebf5fc167.png

Maybe it’s just me. I’m a Wisconsinite. It depends on the day, but I’d usually wear a suit to work with a trench coat over it (before COVID), but my trench coat has an extra lining. I also have a London Fog wool “car coat” which is extremely warm.

I appreciate your story about Crockett getting off the plane and getting shocked of the weather and etc. Sounds like a fun storyline!

I think Crockett could have also warn a winter coat like this if it was Season 3... This is my more casual winter coat. The lighting may be off, but it’s a deep teal like the blazer Crockett wore in “Streetwise.”

2093FE9B-7EEB-4C5B-8509-B145009096EB.jpeg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

Maybe it’s just me. I’m a Wisconsinite. It depends on the day, but I’d usually wear a suit to work with a trench coat over it (before COVID), but my trench coat has an extra lining. I also have a London Fog wool “car coat” which is extremely warm.

I appreciate your story about Crockett getting off the plane and getting shocked of the weather and etc. Sounds like a fun storyline!

I think Crockett could have also warn a winter coat like this if it was Season 3... This is my more casual winter coat. The lighting may be off, but it’s a deep teal like the blazer Crockett wore in “Streetwise.”

2093FE9B-7EEB-4C5B-8509-B145009096EB.jpeg

Hey Andrew, you just got me to realize something.  I know lots of people joke about people from Southern California not knowing how do drive in the rain or snow, or dress for cold weather, but it’s not exactly accurate.  Lots of said people don’t realize that the Los Angeles basin is bordered to its north by mountains, and pretty tall mountains at that.  I think the highest is over 11,000 feet.  

In the winter the roads there are routinely  closed because of the snow and ice, unless you have chains.  I’ve driven there to go skiing dozens of times over the years and the crazy thing is that it’s just about a two hour drive from the sandy beaches here in Long Beach.  Consequently, lots of people here have winter clothes, because of the proximity to the mountains.  One of the best known is the town of Big Bear and it’s at over 6000 feet altitude.   I’ve used chains there on my old VW van and at Yosemite and in the High Sierra too. 

Contrast that with Florida that doesn’t have a hill above 350 hundred feet.  :eek:What’s the nearest mountain with snow to Miami?  I have no idea, but it’s completely understandable that southern Florida natives wouldn’t be ready for the cold.  Why would they have any reason to be.  They live in a subtropical environment.  Just don’t lump Southern California in with them! :) 

• Like 1

Southern California can also be quite cold at night.  South Florida, not so much.  My family took a cruise in late Feb last year out of Ft. Lauderdale.  That was the coldest I've ever been down there.  The morning we were returning to port I couldn't even sit on the balcony with a jacket.  Never had that happen!

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 4:38 PM, AndrewRemington said:

I’ve thought about this for several years, what if they did an episode of “Miami Vice” where Sonny and Rico went somewhere cold during the winter? Maybe they’d visit New York or Chicago when there’s snow on the ground and it’s so cold you can see their breath? What would they wear? Maybe long trenchcoats? I imagine some dumb criminal running from them and slipping on ice and falling. It seems like a fun idea to shake things up.

What an interesting idea! I love it!

• Like 1

Although I'm not sure that Sonny, the epitome of South Florida living, would even be able to run on snow/ ice...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pahonu said:

Hey Andrew, you just got me to realize something.  I know lots of people joke about people from Southern California not knowing how do drive in the rain or snow, or dress for cold weather, but it’s not exactly accurate.  Lots of said people don’t realize that the Los Angeles basin is bordered to its north by mountains, and pretty tall mountains at that.  I think the highest is over 11,000 feet.  

In the winter the roads there are routinely  closed because of the snow and ice, unless you have chains.  I’ve driven there to go skiing dozens of times over the years and the crazy thing is that it’s just about a two hour drive from the sandy beaches here in Long Beach.  Consequently, lots of people here have winter clothes, because of the proximity to the mountains.  One of the best known is the town of Big Bear and it’s at over 6000 feet altitude.   I’ve used chains there on my old VW van and at Yosemite and in the High Sierra too. 

Contrast that with Florida that doesn’t have a hill above 350 hundred feet.  :eek:What’s the nearest mountain with snow to Miami?  I have no idea, but it’s completely understandable that southern Florida natives wouldn’t be ready for the cold.  Why would they have any reason to be.  They live in a subtropical environment.  Just don’t lump Southern California in with them! :) 

I didn’t know that! Also, Wisconsin and other upper Midwest locations also get very hot and humid in the summer. Some people don’t know that, but we do get a stretch of 90 degree weather with high humidity in the summer. We experience extreme highs and lows.

It always takes some time to get used to winter driving every year. The first time it snows, I’m always sliding and spinning out. I’m trying to take it easy with my prized Cherokee. Luckily I haven’t had to drive much this season due to the virus.

No mountains here, but we do have “bluffs” in the areas close to the Mississippi River.

6 hours ago, pahonu said:

Florida natives wouldn’t be ready for the cold.  Why would they have any reason to be.  They live in a subtropical environment.  Just don’t lump Southern California in with them! :) 

@pahonu it was me who mentioned the Jerry Beck character going from LA to Oklahoma without bringing a winter coat and almost freezing to death. Given your explanations, he probably should have known better. I have been to CA multiple times and also been to Mammoth, so even I as someone coming from another continent have been aware of the fact.

3 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

I didn’t know that! Also, Wisconsin and other upper Midwest locations also get very hot and humid in the summer. Some people don’t know that, but we do get a stretch of 90 degree weather with high humidity in the summer. We experience extreme highs and lows.

It always takes some time to get used to winter driving every year. The first time it snows, I’m always sliding and spinning out. I’m trying to take it easy with my prized Cherokee. Luckily I haven’t had to drive much this season due to the virus.

yeah due to its sheer vastness, the US have a variety of climate zones...I live in Switzerland on approx. 1.900 ft above sea level. Our country, although quite small (15.940 sq mi) also has some differences in climate depending on the area, as it's divided by the Alps. Here in the Northern part where I am, there's cold winters with temperatures down to 5°F or even below, while summers can also get hot and humid at up to 96°F. Last night we got 6 inches of snow and there will be a lot more coming in the next days. In the mountains, which range up to 15.200 ft you have long cold winters with lots of snow and (now thawing due to climate change) glaciers and permafrost conditions on the mountain tops. In the Southern and Southwest parts of the country you'll find a nice, almost Mediterranean type of climate with lots of sun, palm trees and other subtropical plants - even banana trees, surrounded by mountain ranges that somewhat always remind me of Southern California. A skiing resort is also always within a one hour drive during winter even in that region. All this within a space which is smaller than Lake Huron.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

No mountains here, but we do have “bluffs” in the areas close to the Mississippi River.

I was in Chicago in the summer several years ago and it was definitely hot and humid.  I also remember the bugs!!!  We don’t have anything like that number of bugs here in SoCal.  :eek: I was also in NYC about 15 years ago in the summer and it reached about 90 degrees one day and it had rained that morning.  My family went to Central Park by Columbus Circle and walked around a bit.  Within a few minutes our shirts were soaked with sweat.  I still remember how heavy my T-shirt was with sweat when I took it off at our hotel after.

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, daytona365 said:

@pahonu it was me who mentioned the Jerry Beck character going from LA to Oklahoma without bringing a winter coat and almost freezing to death. Given your explanations, he probably should have known better. I have been to CA multiple times and also been to Mammoth, so even I as someone coming from another continent have been aware of the fact.

yeah due to its sheer vastness, the US have a variety of climate zones...I live in Switzerland on approx. 1.900 ft above sea level. Our country, although quite small (15.940 sq mi) also has some differences in climate depending on the area, as it's divided by the Alps. Here in the Northern part where I am, there's cold winters with temperatures down to 5°F or even below, while summers can also get hot and humid at up to 96°F. Last night we got 6 inches of snow and there will be a lot more coming in the next days. In the mountains, which range up to 15.200 ft you have long cold winters with lots of snow and (now thawing due to climate change) glaciers and permafrost conditions on the mountain tops. In the Southern and Southwest parts of the country you'll find a nice, almost Mediterranean type of climate with lots of sun, palm trees and other subtropical plants - even banana trees, surrounded by mountain ranges that somewhat always remind me of Southern California. A skiing resort is also always within a one hour drive during winter even in that region. All this within a space which is smaller than Lake Huron.

Not only does the size of the US overall lead to different climate zones, but California in particular.  The mountains from all the seismic activity have created different climates all in a relatively small area.  I live in Long Beach in LA County and it is a coastal Mediterranean climate.  Just inland it becomes a warm Mediterranean climate that is the city of Los Angeles.  About two hours drive east starts the desert climate of the Mojave Desert.  We even have a low desert that includes one of the hottest places on the planet and a high dessert that can get snow.  The mountains are to the north as mentioned in the previous post, and beyond them starts the California Central Valley that has some of the best farmland in the nation extending up to the San Francisco Bay Area.  It’s a truly diverse landscape.

By the way, a good friend of mine’s daughter now lives in Switzerland.  He visited her about two years ago.  I remember him telling me he drove all around the country and he was only there three weeks!  He had some amazing photos. :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

although winter is all but over now, here's an example of a mind-blowing winter vice of some rich people here in Switzerland. On a frozen lake! Enjoy! 

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 3

On 3/16/2022 at 9:20 PM, daytona365 said:

although winter is all but over now, here's an example of a mind-blowing winter vice of some rich people here in Switzerland. On a frozen lake! Enjoy! 

That Is great fun, St Moritz hotel in Miami appeared in Season 2s “Free Verse”! 

Hahaha!  A winter-filled episode would have been good.  Think of it as the "Glades" episode visiting a place that's foreign terrain to Crockett... only with a less serious attitude than the Glades episode.  
Put the whole four/five cop team in it.  Tubbs had dealt with winter before, so he can take Sonny to a clothing place to fashion him out.  Make Trudy and Larry winter-knowledgeable too, and have them find suitable threads for Gina and Stan.  
Have maybe 15 minutes of fashion humor in the episode, but once they step out of the tailor in complete outfits, make those outfits kick Swiss butt.  Cream of the clothing designers, outerwear to die for!  (Except Stan, who has to rely on Zito to pick out his threads).  
No change in cars or anything too pretentious.  They are visiting this place on assignment, and they'll drive the standard vehicles issued to them by the department.  Best to keep all our throbbing heart attention on their clothes.  

(...And Crockett's trenchcoat in the MV calender looks,... well, like a failure.  "Trench" is just not fitting for a Dade vice officer, to me).

• Like 1