New and rare John Petersen interview 2020

Matt5

That’s the same Norwegian Media that did the great Truman interview in August! These guy are extremely well prepared and knowledgeable in their Interviews!

great read but it also confirms what I suspected anyway-there will never be Petersen score to buy. The Universal Masters were destroyed by fire and his own masters too! Thank god Truman has still his masters!

the scary part in detail:

Q: Did you or anyone else ever consider releasing any of your music from Miami Vice on record?

Yes, but there were two fires: one in my storage space which wiped out all of my multitrack tapes and original mixes, and one at Universal which destroyed all of the masters, I was told. Tragic.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

Interesting read, thanks for sharing! His music seems rather unappreciated, but he did a great job with season 4. It’s sad how all these master tapes except Truman’s perished. ;( Oh well, at least we still have the music in the episodes and some talented fans can extract the music the best they can.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

Interesting read, thanks for sharing! His music seems rather unappreciated, but he did a great job with season 4. It’s sad how all these master tapes except Truman’s perished. ;( Oh well, at least we still have the music in the episodes and some talented fans can extract the music the best they can.

Glad you enjoyed - it’s a great piece. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting, very interesting.

Reading that interview, I realized that Petersen's music is the only thing I liked about "Honor Among Thieves":

• Like 3

It was a cool read, thanks.

Great to hear him talk specifically about some of the episodes he scored. I'd put Rising Sun of Death's score up there with Jan's work.

A real shame he lost all his work in two fires.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 2:55 AM, airtommy said:

Reading that interview, I realized that Petersen's music is the only thing I liked about "Honor Among Thieves":

Yes it’s a great read - glad you enjoyed.

19 hours ago, fakespyder said:

It was a cool read, thanks.

Great to hear him talk specifically about some of the episodes he scored. I'd put Rising Sun of Death's score up there with Jan's work.

A real shame he lost all his work in two fires.

Great piece - glad you enjoyed.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 2:55 AM, airtommy said:

Amazing you think this director (Jim Johnstone) directed “Nobody Lives Forever”, “Out Where the Buses Don’t Run” and “Trust Fund Pirates”.

On 1/16/2021 at 11:52 AM, Matt5 said:

Stumbled across this Today - pretty good piece.:fireworks:

http://celluloidtunes.no/a-conversation-with-miami-vice-and-mtv-composer-john-petersen/

Just read the interview. Pity the fires destroyed his S4 MV work ;(. What a shame! I would have bought this in a heartbeat!

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, sdiegolo78 said:

Just read the interview. Pity the fires destroyed his S4 MV work ;(. What a shame! I would have bought this in a heartbeat!

Glad you enjoyed it - it certainly is a rare piece.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators

Great interview! Answered a lot of questions. I had always thought John would’ve been the obvious replacement but now we know why.   I’m not a huge fan of Tim Truman and now I’m blown away to find out that Patrick O’Hearn was a consideration for the job.  Been a fan of his forever.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I love this one.

Yes a great —-similar to what we hear in “Indian Wars” also.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2