Hello there

F-GradeArt

Hi everyone,

My name's Keith. I'm a freelance artist, writer, film graduate, gun enthusiast, and massive fan of all things Michael Mann. I was just a wee toddler in the 80s, but grew up watching old shows with my older brother and parents (The Rifleman, Gunsmoke, and Hawaii 5.0 with my dad, and The Equalizer and Miami Vice with my mom, who had pretty hardcore taste in retrospect). The first Michael Mann film I remember seeing on TV in the 90s was Manhunter, and later caught bits and pieces of Heat and The Last of the Mohicans, which I also liked a lot. It wasn't until Collateral (2004) that I bothered to look up the director, as I was 16 then and taking more of an interest in filmmaking. When I saw he was the guy behind some of my favorite movies, it all made sense. I then checked out everything, including Thief, The Keep, and even The Jericho Mile. I also began to revisit everything else as my insights matured, and to date, he's still my favorite director of all time (not the greatest, but my favorite). And yes, I even love Miami Vice '06 (is that allowed around here?) -- sue me! :rauchen:

I am currently introducing my girlfriend to Crime Story, and she's liking it so far. We plan to go through MV this summer. It's been a decade since I've watched the former, and probably 14 years since I watched the latter, so I'm long overdue and very excited. 

• Like 6

• Administrators
3 hours ago, F-GradeArt said:

And yes, I even love Miami Vice '06 (is that allowed around here?) -- sue me! :rauchen:

There once was a time when the shear mention of that movie caused arguments on this site,  the likes of which you've never seen before! Thankfully cooler heads prevailed and those days are long gone.

With that being said, we can tell you have good taste and I'm sure you'll enjoy the wealth of information we have  about your favorite show and director.  Welcome to the site! Let us know if you need anything, and like those lawyers on TV always say, "there are no bad questions"

Enjoy!

P.S.  my happy face is much nicer than miamijimf's  ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Welcome aboard.  This is my happy face:

"Don't ever come up to my face like this again, detective."

32 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

There once was a time when the shear mention of that movie caused arguments on this site,  the likes of which you've never seen before! Thankfully cooler heads prevailed and those days are long gone.

Hah! I remember defending the movie in 2006 to purists. I realize I'm biased toward Mann's cinematic work, but I do think a lot of the bad reaction was because fans of the show were expecting the 80s again, and people who were new to the franchise didn't understand what it was all about; they were expecting it to be a cookie-cutter Bad Boys flick or something. I was right in the middle, as a show fan, who also appreciated the modernized take. Once you get past comparing the incomparable, I do think it managed to capture a lot of MV's essence whilst updating all the styles, tech, and attitudes. These endeavors normally fall apart trying to cash in on the nostalgia and simply repeat what had been done, or making a joke out of it. Now, almost fifteen years later, I respect it even more. I don't think it's the type of film we'll ever see again in the current state of Hollywood trends.

Thanks for the welcomes, peoples! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, F-GradeArt said:

Hah! I remember defending the movie in 2006 to purists. I realize I'm biased toward Mann's cinematic work, but I do think a lot of the bad reaction was because fans of the show were expecting the 80s again, and people who were new to the franchise didn't understand what it was all about; they were expecting it to be a cookie-cutter Bad Boys flick or something. I was right in the middle, as a show fan, who also appreciated the modernized take. Once you get past comparing the incomparable, I do think it managed to capture a lot of MV's essence whilst updating all the styles, tech, and attitudes. These endeavors normally fall apart trying to cash in on the nostalgia and simply repeat what had been done, or making a joke out of it. Now, almost fifteen years later, I respect it even more. I don't think it's the type of film we'll ever see again in the current state of Hollywood trends.

Welcome to the forum!

I just started to watch movies of Michael Mann because of the show. I didn´t knew any of them before. And I really enjoyed MV ´06 as well!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glades said:

Welcome to the forum!

I just started to watch movies of Michael Mann because of the show. I didn´t knew any of them before. And I really enjoyed MV ´06 as well!

Thank ye -- and hell yeah! I know the show kind of got away from him in regard to his intended tone, and perhaps it was for the best at that time for a TV show. But MV'06 to me felt like a culmination of the show along with Mann's lifelong work on film. I once described it as "pulp" Michael Mann. Not as masterful as Heat by any means, but also wasn't intended to be. It's more like a mainline dose of his visceral style and mood, and I love it for that. Cheers! 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 5:50 AM, F-GradeArt said:

It's more like a mainline dose of his visceral style and mood,

Could you please explain more in detail what you mean by visceral style and mood? I'm fascinated by Michael Mann's way of filming so I would enjoy your explanation and point of view.