Episodes You Liked at First But Later Disliked

Robbie C.

Since we have a thread going one way, I figured it was time to air the other side. What episode really hooked you the first time you saw it, but then started to lose its appeal? This isn't a place to rise to the defense of your favorite episode someone doesn't like, but rather a space to say "yeah...that episode wasn't as good as I thought it was at first."

For me it has to be Forgive us our Debts. There's just too much "off" with this episode. It's easy to miss given how vivid a villain Hackman is, but really...can anyone see Castillo encouraging Sonny the way he does? I think this was one of those topical episodes that just went off the rails at some point and was carried by Hackman's character more than anything else. For me it's definitely not one of those episodes that improves over time.

• Like 2

Florence Italy

I think the car chase and racing hooked me into thinking it was a better episode.  It's got a few good moments, but upon further viewings I just laugh at how bad of an actor Danny Sullivan was!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Then only ep which I liked less over time is "Lombard".  When I first saw it, I loved it and I ranked it in the top 5 of Season 1.  But I had never seen the Godfather movies, nor any other good Hollywood mafia flicks.  Once I saw those movies, I realized that "Lombard" was derivative and cliche.

Don't get me wrong - "Lombard" is still decently good.  Dennis Farina acts very well (and has good chemistry with DJ) and Hammer's score is cool.  But I've downgraded "Lombard" to #13 out of 20 eps in S1.

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

It is funny you mention Lombard because the episode I liked at first was the season 5 Lombard episode. Now I dislike most of it.

• The cheesy H.A.V.O.C. gun straight out of Buck Rogers. 
  • The change in Lombard's son: Not just the actor but his persona. He went from a sensitive, creative kid into a wiseguy.
  • the god awful child actor

Lombard's return should've been a highlight of the series. Now, barring the interrogation scene with Sonny and Rico, there's not much I like in this episode.

Oh, but Tim's score, especially when Lombard is walking at the docks with his son, is beautiful.

• Like 1