Weird things about American men

Christine

Again and again I experience very strange things in connection with American men and I hope that one of you guys can explain something to me. Very often I receive messageson Facebook or Instagram from American men who are keen on getting to know me. Many of them are soldiers but not all. All of them claim that they are widower and that their women died on cancer. Is America the country of the widower? I can't believe it. So what do you guys say to this?

• Confused 1

It sounds like these men are trying to hit on you, i.e. flirt.  But also I think it sounds very suspicious that they all claim to be widowed, and so many claim to be soldiers.  I would be highly doubtful of their truthfulness, unless you've done plenty of homework to learn more about them.  If you have any friends/ followers on FB or Instagram that are also friends/ followers with any strange man that you think you may wish to know better, try to verify some information with those common connections.  Otherwise, I would not encourage them to think you are looking for companionship or anything else.

• Like 4

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Christine said:

Is America the country of the widower? 

Probably more like the country of the scam artist.  Too many people treat facebook like it's a dating site.  I refuse to use facebook, instagram or any other social media.  Maybe it's just me but I don't feel comfortable sharing my personal life with the world.  The only advice I can give is be careful. Don't be too quick to share information about yourself.  Before you know it they will be asking for money!  Keep us posted.

• Like 6

At the beginning I had answered to threse posts, not with personal information, but in a polite way. I claimed to be married and not interested in getting to know someone.I get messages like this every day and I'm really annoyed by it. I haven't answered that for a long time, but I also wonder why men who don't speak my language follow me on Facebook or Instagram. I'm not traveling there as a private person, but as an author. My first novel was published in August 2019 and I'm trying to find readers. In times of Corona this is very difficult.

• Like 4

A forum where (mostly) a bunch of guys are still talking daily about a 35+ year old TV show...

Christine you have found a great panel for advice on weird men! :) :flowers:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

vor 35 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

A forum where (mostly) a bunch of guys are still talking daily about a 35+ year old TV show...

Christine you have found a great panel for advice on weird men! :) :flowers:

But here are not only guys talking about the show. And I don't think that we are weird, but only enthusiastic. :D

• Haha 1

I’d like to apologize on behalf of my country, the United States of America. 

I’m sorry there are so many weird guys bothering you. I don’t know anybody like that (unless they’ve done it in secret).

• Like 1

vor 4 Minuten schrieb AndrewRemington:

I’d like to apologize on behalf of my country, the United States of America. 

I’m sorry there are so many weird guys bothering you. I don’t know anybody like that (unless they’ve done it in secret).

There's no need to apologize. I only asked my question because it's so strange that so many men tell the same story independent of each other. And, please, don't take me too serious. I always skake my head when a new message arrives and I ignore them. But I thought that there might be someone here who could explain this weird behaviour

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Christine said:

There's no need to apologize. I only asked my question because it's so strange that so many men tell the same story independent of each other. And, please, don't take me too serious. I always skake my head when a new message arrives and I ignore them. But I thought that there might be someone here who could explain this weird behaviour

Hmm, yeah that is weird. I wonder if it is some sort of trick to get money out of you, abduct you, or something else?

• Like 1

Some of them had sent pictures of themselves without asking whether I want it or not. I think they are looking for a pastime. Some did send photos showing them in military uniform, with military vehicles or even a tank in the background. So it could well be that it's men who are stationed in Afghanistan or something. Maybe they are also single. But I don't think it's about kidnapping and I certainly don't send money to anyone. 

Just now, Christine said:

Some of them had sent pictures of themselves without asking whether I want it or not. I think they are looking for a pastime. Some did send photos showing them in military uniform, with military vehicles or even a tank in the background. So it could well be that it's men who are stationed in Afghanistan or something. Maybe they are also single. But I don't think it's about kidnapping and I certainly don't send money to anyone. 

Yeah, it is quite odd. Perhaps they just want someone to talk to, but my mom always told me, “Better safe than sorry.” You never know what a stranger’s intentions could be, and sometimes people you know can be deceiving as well.

• Like 1

vor 3 Minuten schrieb AndrewRemington:

my mom always told me, “Better safe than sorry.” You never know what a stranger’s intentions could be, and sometimes people you know can be deceiving as well.

Your mom is very smart.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Christine seriously do you leave in a cave or something :) :p. personnally when i receive dating invitations through Facebook or other,i systematically send to spam. and even report in most cases. some people make these scams their way of living. they make you think you're very special (by dating you), then they have a mother with cancer, but their account is blocked because an error of the bank. then they need you to send some money. but to prove they're trustful, they send you a check. check that will be withdrawn 2 days later. but that will spawn long enough on your bank account, for you to get hooked and send the money. seriously stay away from these like if it was the plague ;)

Seriously, jpaul1, it would never occur to me to send money to anyone. I also delete these friend requests every time. I'm just amazed that they all tell the same story and don't notice that this is old hat that no one falls for anymore.
It's no different on Instagram. Every day I get the message that xy likes my picture, the snippet of my novel that I have posted, or the trailer for my novel. Of course, the message always follows that xy would like to send me a message. Fortunately, my virtual trash can offers a lot of space.

• Like 2

these are generic. they send thousands of scams. so if something tends to work a little better they use it. right now i have lot of 'your package is blocked at the mail center. you need to pay 1€ to unlock'. i have thousands of these right now

what's the plot of your book

vor 3 Minuten schrieb jpaul1:

what's the plot of your book

That's the blurb. The story takes place in Germany, precisely where I live.

"Mira, how much of my life have I spent in a coma? Seven years or ten?"
"It's a lot more than you think," she said softly.

When Mark Dornberg wakes up from a coma after an accident, he finds himself in a world that is strange to him. A two-class society divides people. The privileged live in cities with glass domes protecting them from the dangerous sun. The others perish outside, but they begin to fight back.

But how did it come to this?
Why hasn't Mark aged in all that time in a coma?
And what does the mysterious cloud of fog have to do with it?

The ambitious but unscrupulous Doctor Müller also wants to find out. And he is ready to go over dead bodies to find out this secret.

• Like 2

vor 6 Minuten schrieb jpaul1:

these are generic. they send thousands of scams. so if something tends to work a little better they use it. right now i have lot of 'your package is blocked at the mail center. you need to pay 1€ to unlock'. i have thousands of these right now

I don´t receive messages like this, but calls where someone claims that he had sent me papers for these or that and as I hadn´t quit, I would have to pay. A couple of times they even threatened a lawyer if I didn't pay, but that didn't impress me

looks interesting Christine. make me think of soilent green. but where can we find it. in justbooks there are thousands of blurbs

vor 1 Minute schrieb jpaul1:

looks interesting Christine. make me think of soilent green. but where can we find it. in justbooks there are thousands of blurbs

Unfortunately one can only buy it in German, but here´s the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.de/Stadt-unter-Glas-Die-Privilegierten/dp/3946381642/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=2UQPC4VOO0USA&dchild=1&keywords=stadt+unter+glas+-+die+privilegierten&qid=1615312803&sprefix=stadt+unter+%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-1

and here one can find the trailer I mentioned before

https://www.facebook.com/PC-Thomas-689532947845824/?skip_nax_wizard=true&ref_type=logout_gear

• Like 1

Sounds like these guys are creeps! If you get more of these messages, you can just report them to Facebook. They have a dedicated team investigating scams etc....

• Like 1

Those guys are likely scammers.  I get messages from women claiming to be from Germany, Saudi Arabia, even Iraq.  I know how it will continue.  They will want to offer me a great money making opportunity, etc.  I just delete them.  

• Like 1