Can a guy wear an oversized woman's blazer and who will be able to tell?

Lit Up

As I'm sure you are aware, there is a real problem finding mens' linen pastel jackets or anything 80s which isn't earth tones. By contrast there is no problem finding women's clothes in the cool colours of the 1980s and palette of the show.

I'm wondering if anybody has tried getting away with wearing an oversized woman's blazer. Unstructured, unlined, no shoulder pads, single breasted etc. Nothing that "hugs" the body. Something which is impossible to tell is a woman's unless you look at which way it buttons up (and even then, with only one or two buttons, (you could probably remove them)

If you have done this, please recommend some brands and sizes. 

I'm 6ft1 and 42in chest. I think I would be taking a size 16-18.

I found this online and I can't see how anybody would know. This one even has buttons on both sides. 

s-l1600 (13).jpg

• Like 2

@Lit Upsuggestion: have a tailor/seamstress remove the buttons on the women’s side and add a couple of button holes. Replace all the buttons with some that are as close to the jacket color as possible, and you would have one really awesome Crockett blazer! I can’t imagine any of those modifications being too costly.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

In looking at the jacket on the hanger, it seems to flare a lot more from the waist down.  It looks like the bottom hem is actually wider than the shoulders.  This makes sense for women’s wider hips and narrower shoulders but isn’t how men’s jackets are cut.  A 42 chest is pretty big for women too.  Good luck though!

Even though I haven't a womens blazer I don't think that you could tell the difference, except someone really pays attention to the buttons. I thought that the blazer you posted was a mens blazer on first sight and even now that I know it isn't, I don't see a problem.

The only thing I have is a women shirt that I realised pretty late that it is, but no one so far has said anything or even realised it. On the other hand I wouldn't care if someone mentions it :)

• Like 2

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Lit Up:

Glad to see you back from the dead, Larry.

Thanks Lit Up. I try to be more active now and I might even post some pictures of my wardrobe soon :cool:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LarryZito said:

Thanks Lit Up. I try to be more active now and I might even post some pictures of my wardrobe soon :cool:

Your blue pants with the sailboats were a personal favorite of mine. :fireworks:

That jacket looks good to me.

I have issues with sleeve length. I'm 6ft1.5" and my arms are almost always too long for jackets,shirts. If it fits nicely along the chest and back, the sleeves are too short.

Alternately, if the sleeves are a good length but then the jacket is too bulky. Granted, you can get away with a bit of bulkiness but it is nice to have some form too.