Mark Harmon?!

sredd

I saw this article listed on Google the other day...but didn’t read it. From what I always heard, it wasn’t true...just a Hollywood rumor created as a sort of “scare tactic” by producers to try and get Don Johnson to give up his salary demands & stay. But, I think I even remember reading once that Mark Harmon never knew anything about it & was never asked or approached by producers to possibly join the show. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
11 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

But, I think I even remember reading once that Mark Harmon never knew anything about it & was never asked or approached by producers to possibly join the show. 

Correct!  When asked, Harmon didn't know anything about it.

• Like 3

There were so many false rumours about the show including this.

Michael Mann correctly said in season 2 that none of the main actors (i.e. DJ/PMT) was replacable. 

DJ went on strike during filming of El Viejo, that´s the true part of that story. He earned 30k per episode at the time and MV was at its peak. So his salary was peanuts, also back then as Tom Selleck had much almost 200k per episode for Magnum P.I.  - not only today when some actors grossed 1m per 20minute Bing Bang Theory episode. So DJ had a legitimate beef with his two year old chump change contract and producers ignored him until he went serious. But producers who threatened to sue him for breach of contract knew that they could not replace him. At the end of the day, both sides were bound to reach a positive solution. He was increased to 90K per episode, PMT to 50k and filming of El Viejo continued. 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Tom said:

There were so many false rumours about the show including this.

Michael Mann correctly said in season 2 that none of the main actors (i.e. DJ/PMT) was replacable. 

DJ went on strike during filming of El Viejo, that´s the true part of that story. He earned 30k per episode at the time and MV was at its peak. So his salary was peanuts, also back then as Tom Selleck had much almost 200k per episode for Magnum P.I.  - not only today when some actors grossed 1m per 20minute Bing Bang Theory episode. So DJ had a legitimate beef with his two year old chump change contract and producers ignored him until he went serious. But producers who threatened to sue him for breach of contract knew that they could not replace him. At the end of the day, both sides were bound to reach a positive solution. He was increased to 90K per episode, PMT to 50k and filming of El Viejo continued. 

Yeah, Don probably had a right to ask for more, as the popularity had skyrocketed by Season 2. But, no one got millions an episode for television back then...it wasn’t like today.

As for “Magnum”, it had already been on, established, and had a huge popular fan base for 4 yrs by the time MV started. So, I could see why Tom Selleck was getting much more at the time. But, there’s no way DJ or PMT could have been replaced...if they had, we’d have had only 3 seasons, instead of 5, as the show would not have lasted beyond that season. ;) 

• Like 2

I like Mark Harmon (especially in the TV movie "The Deliberate Stranger" & 1987's "Summer School"), but not as a main undercover fella in Vice, unless he was a guest star. There's an actor I thought of last night who I would've liked to see in the wacky Season 4 of Vice, but today I've forgotten whom: it's looks like my mind is wallpaper.

• Haha 1

• Administrators

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but William Russ either dies or gets killed off in every TV show or movie I've ever seen him in!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but William Russ either dies or gets killed off in every TV show or movie I've ever seen him in!

he was too dangerous for the main roles :)

Edited by jpaul1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jpaul1 said:

he was too dangerous for the main roles :)

William Russ made it out alive in "Boy Meets World"...well, at least I think he did!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

William Russ made it out alive in "Boy Meets World"...well, at least I think he did!

I think Sean Bean's got him beat, though...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robbie C. said:

I think Sean Bean's got him beat, though...

I think it's written in Sean Bean's contract that he has to be killed off; heck, when the guy can't make it out of a film that's titled "Shopping", there really isn't any hope to see it through to the end credits:-).

4 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Yikes! That's true!

3 hours ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I think it's written in Sean Bean's contract that he has to be killed off; heck, when the guy can't make it out of a film that's titled "Shopping", there really isn't any hope to see it through to the end credits:-).

He did survive Ronin, though.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2021 at 12:49 PM, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I like Mark Harmon (especially in the TV movie "The Deliberate Stranger" & 1987's "Summer School"), but not as a main undercover fella in Vice, unless he was a guest star. There's an actor I thought of last night who I would've liked to see in the wacky Season 4 of Vice, but today I've forgotten whom: it's looks like my mind is wallpaper.

My memory has returned (I took a memory course, had some flashbacks, bought a panther, took a long & contemplative walk...all things that lead to a regenerative mind), and I remember the actor I was thinking of: Roddy McDowall! I mean, I always thought he was amusing and also had some strong acting chops, I feel he could've essayed a character that would've worked well in the Vice world (businessman, banker, drug lord, lawyer, local kook...almost any profession or type I think).

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2021 at 7:56 PM, Ferrariman said:

What about The Long Hot Summer?

On 2/27/2021 at 2:44 AM, ViceFanMan said:

I saw this article listed on Google the other day...but didn’t read it. From what I always heard, it wasn’t true...just a Hollywood rumor created as a sort of “scare tactic” by producers to try and get Don Johnson to give up his salary demands & stay. But, I think I even remember reading once that Mark Harmon never knew anything about it & was never asked or approached by producers to possibly join the show. 

Mind you, Harmon wasn't bad looking and was a similar type.

1 minute ago, wolfie1996 said:

Mind you, Harmon wasn't bad looking and was a similar type.

Perhaps...but MV was the type of show that would not have lasted beyond that season if Don, or Philip, had been replaced by anyone else. 

Just now, ViceFanMan said:

Perhaps...but MV was the type of show that would not have lasted beyond that season if Don, or Philip, had been replaced by anyone else. 

Possibly. We'll never know now. It didn't have a long life as it turned out anyway, unfortunately.

1 minute ago, wolfie1996 said:

Possibly. We'll never know now. It didn't have a long life as it turned out anyway, unfortunately.

It lasted that season (3), plus two more. The show faded out because of eventual poor scripts and “wrong” directions taken  by later season producers.  

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, wolfie1996 said:

What about The Long Hot Summer?

Must've missed that one.  ;)

10 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

Must've missed that one.  ;)

I thought he was good in that, playing the resentful, rather inadequate (in his father's eyes) son of one of these wealthy southerners. Wasn't a bad film (remake of a remake I think) but had a totally unconvincing female playing  his sister and the romantic lead. I just couldn't imagine  DJ's character falling for her.

• Like 1