An idea about my novel

Christine

vor 8 Minuten schrieb jpaul1:

Christine, your english is not bad. why don't you do the translation yourself. then you proof read with friends, or MV fellas. who could add the little final touch. that would go much faster, and much cheaper than the other solutions. then if your book has success, with the money you order a reliable online translation with a 1st class translation service. that would imply a reprint. but it won't be the first book to get a reprint

Thanks, jpaul, I do my very best to improve my english. Writing with you here on MV helps me a lot. But I told you that I would do the translation, but need a native speaker (or someone whose english ist as perfect as possible) to reread it, correct the mistakes and gives it all the final touch, as you named it. 
If the novel would be successful, I would do a big donation on the forum.

Christine, do you know deepl?

https://www.deepl.com/de/translator

To me it´s far better than google. If you insert a German text, you will (of course) get the English translation. Then it becomes interesting. You can click on every single English word and you will be shown alternatives. If you select one of them, the whole sentence changes accordingly. This is much more nuanced than google translate. And usually one has a better passive than active understanding of the language. So you can already do a lot with that.

• Like 1

vor 20 Minuten schrieb Glades:

Christine, do you know deepl?

https://www.deepl.com/de/translator

To me it´s far better than google. If you insert a German text, you will (of course) get the English translation. Then it becomes interesting. You can click on every single English word and you will be shown alternatives. If you select one of them, the whole sentence changes accordingly. This is much more nuanced than google translate. And usually one has a better passive than active understanding of the language. So you can already do a lot with that.

No, I've never heard of deepl, but I just looked at it and it seems really interesting.  Thanks for the tip

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

You´re so right. I see a more general issue with Brits and translations beyond police terms. It´s simply that many British native speakers try to differentiate themselves from the rest of the world by re-establishing a self-perceived language standard that has never existed but for most people sounds like Klingonian in Star Trek movies. in other words, they try to make a language crusade or lecture out of everything, even at cost of readability. And, let´s face it, British English is as much global language standard as French. Right or wrong, but it´s a fact that most potential readers either are Americans themselves or at least influenced by American English via TV series and movies and will scratch their heads over "lorry" (instead of "truck") or "bloke" (instead of "guy").

And, as an author, you have to write for the global majority, not for a small minority of language colonial thinkers :p

after the war the USA flooded the world with their products so yeah they influenced the world in some way. and probably a great way as they included lot of french words into their language :p. but if we speak english, it's because of the brits. so personnally i don't find it weird if the brits are getting proud of their language

But nevertheless is britisch english different to american english in several things. My english teacher Mr. Bosisto came from Bristol and his english was very different to the one the teacher of the other class had spoken. She was German and we always had to learn in her class when our teacher accompanied a graduation class to their trip to Great Britain. I always loved the english language, but every time I had to listen to the other class teacher I asked myself if this could be a completely different language.:dance2:

• Like 1

i speak to UK guys very often in forums, and i never noticed anything coming from another planet :). each time i hear Boris, or the queen on TV i understand too :). anyways my neighbor in France is english, and i have a cousin who married a brit too. so maybe one day i'll try to speak english with them. taking as excuse my next trip to Miami :)

• Haha 2

I started the translation of the thriller manuscript and I found out that deepL really is much better than the Google translator. :)

The question is: Shall I post the chapters here on the site or shall I send it to someones mail adress? I´m not sure.

• Like 1

I'm reminded of the funny quote attributed to George Bernard Shaw and others: ‘England and America are two countries separated by the same language.’  Actually it's not that bad, I can understand most Brits except those from the Isle of Man.

Christine - what is the web address for deepL?

If you use your own translation I suggest you send the English version of the chapters to whomever you choose by email.  If you post the chapters you will get all kinds of comments, everyone is a critic.

1 hour ago, miamijimf said:

I'm reminded of the funny quote attributed to George Bernard Shaw and others: ‘England and America are two countries separated by the same language.’  Actually it's not that bad, I can understand most Brits except those from the Isle of Man.

If you use your own translation I suggest you send the English version of the chapters to whomever you choose by email.  If you post the chapters you will get all kinds of comments, everyone is a critic.

Or you'll hear nothing at all (having posted here a time or two I think I can comment to that).:p Of course, I have some dedicated readers, but that's not the same thing as getting translation feedback. That's a very different thing.

If you're looking for feedback, it's better to have a dedicated reader or two who's willing to go through it line by line and make suggestions. This is especially true with translations.

Edited by Robbie C.
  • Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb miamijimf:

https://www.deepl.com/translator

This is the address I had used today and that I will use in the future. I made a test, let Google translate the same text as deepL and there were several differences.

Edited by Christine

vor 47 Minuten schrieb Robbie C.:

Or you'll hear nothing at all (having posted here a time or two I think I can comment to that).:p Of course, I have some dedicated readers, but that's not the same thing as getting translation feedback. That's a very different thing.

If you're looking for feedback, it's better to have a dedicated reader or two who's willing to go through it line by line and make suggestions. This is especially true with translations.

I can confirm that to a certain extent. When I wrote my fan fictions back then, I always got feedback from the same people, but it was rarely constructive.
Only when I gave Sonny a car other than the Daytona, the outrage was suddenly huge :dance2: and I had to come up with something to get him back to his "car".

vor 54 Minuten schrieb Robbie C.:

That is what I would like to see. That's why I said I have time and I'm not in a hurry to publish. I know it's a very large manuscript and I'm not sure I'll find all the words in the translator. The story is set on another planet in the year 2140. 

2 hours ago, Christine said:

Only when I gave Sonny a car other than the Daytona, the outrage was suddenly huge :dance2: and I had to come up with something to get him back to his "car".

What car did you give him? Hope was not a Chevy Truck :D

19 hours ago, Christine said:

I can confirm that to a certain extent. When I wrote my fan fictions back then, I always got feedback from the same people, but it was rarely constructive.

I've always gotten good feedback, but it's not the same thing as needing translation feedback. For that I think you need someone who just does that, or a native speaking reader who's got the time and interest to go through something line by line making those kind of corrections.

vor 17 Stunden schrieb sdiegolo78:

What car did you give him? Hope was not a Chevy Truck :D

:):) I´m not sure, but I think it was a Porsche. In any case it was a fast and expensive car.

• Haha 1

vor 16 Minuten schrieb Robbie C.:

I've always gotten good feedback, but it's not the same thing as needing translation feedback. For that I think you need someone who just does that, or a native speaking reader who's got the time and interest to go through something line by line making those kind of corrections.

Jim has offered his help and I think he can do it very well. Tom has offered his help, too, but I´m not sure if he got a shock when he heard how many pages there are.:) I think it won´t be that much pages in english, because many German words are very long or you need more words for telling something.

11 minutes ago, Christine said:

:):) I´m not sure, but I think it was a Porsche. In any case it was a fast and expensive car.

In the 'Hit list' episode ('Calderone returns part I') he's seen driving a station wagon on his way home with his wife Caroline and son. I assume that was his own car.

vor 1 Minute schrieb sdiegolo78:

In the 'Hit list' episode ('Calderone returns part I') he's seen driving a station wagon on his way home with his wife Caroline and son. I assume that was his own car.

Maybe it belonged to Caroline. I don´t remember seeing him driving another "normal" car, except from  the small truck (was it one?) after the Ferrari was blown.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Christine said:

Maybe it belonged to Caroline. I don´t remember seeing him driving another "normal" car, except from  the small truck (was it one?) after the Ferrari was blown.

I'd say the station wagon could have been the family car. The Ferrari cars were department issued from criminal confiscated assets. And yes, you are right about the small Chevy truck. That was assigned to him temporarily after the Daytona was blown up and before the testarossa could be assigned to him by Metro Dade.

• Like 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb sdiegolo78:

The Ferrari cars were department issued from criminal confiscated assets. 

And so were Sonnys boats. Sometimes I asked myself if the clothes were also things that the department had issued from wealthy criminals.:) Okay, I remember that Rico once was in a men´s boutique to (possibly) buy jackets in "The Great Mc Carthy", but it was only to get closer to Mc Carthys girlfriend. We never saw Sonny doing the same.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Christine said:

And so were Sonnys boats. Sometimes I asked myself if the clothes were also things that the department had issued from wealthy criminals.:) Okay, I remember that Rico once was in a men´s boutique to (possibly) buy jackets in "The Great Mc Carthy", but it was only to get closer to Mc Carthys girlfriend. We never saw Sonny doing the same.

yes the clothes too were not actually theirs but police dept issue for undercover assignments. In the 'lend me an ear episode' Sonny mentioned that the rolex watch and italian loafer shoes he was wearing are worth more than his yearly salary!:)

• Like 1

vor 8 Minuten schrieb sdiegolo78:

yes the clothes too were not actually theirs but police dept issue for undercover assignments. In the 'lend me an ear episode' Sonny mentioned that the rolex watch and italian loafer shoes he was wearing are worth more than his yearly salary!:)

In "Brother's Keeper" he mentions that a baby carriage already costs as much as a policeman's weekly wage. And Calderone later explained that yes, they are only "$300 a week cops" and he pays that much to have someone clean his toilet. 
A Rolex, converted, can cost up to $80,000 (according to the research I just did). Sonny would have to work longer than a year to be able to afford at least one thing: the Rolex or the loafers.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Christine said:

In "Brother's Keeper" he mentions that a baby carriage already costs as much as a policeman's weekly wage. And Calderone later explained that yes, they are only "$300 a week cops" and he pays that much to have someone clean his toilet. 
A Rolex, converted, can cost up to $80,000 (according to the research I just did). Sonny would have to work longer than a year to be able to afford at least one thing: the Rolex or the loafers.

Yeah, that shows you how wealthy are the criminals profiting from drugs.And how little money the people going after them make. It's so ridiculous and not right...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Christine said:

buy jackets in "The Great Mc Carthy", but it was only to get closer to Mc Carthys girlfriend. We never saw Sonny doing the same.

yeah, Tubbs must have been using metro pd money to buy that jacket :)

• Like 1

Gerade eben schrieb sdiegolo78:

yeah, Tubbs must have been using metro pd money to buy that jacket :)

We never got to know if he had bought one. All we saw was him standing in front of a mirror trying one on.

• Like 1